• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake PC | Tech, performance and information thread

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
if you're using vsync, use the in game vsync and not the vsync in your drivers. that helped someone out with similar stuttering earlier.
Using game vsync only, I only force 16x AF as global setting in Nvidia settings, the rest at default/application controlled.

Edit: different graphics settings didn't really eliminate it. I think it's related to how it does its loading, maybe a faster HDD would help. Because when I stood around the same area trying different settings it seemed to be eliminated, yet after playing normally it soon occured again. Pretty bleh. That said I might keep some things off because I honestly couldn't see a difference with godrays off for example, moonlight through the trees or whatever had no change at all...

PowerK

Finished episode 1. Enjoyed it very much.
In terms of visuals, it's mixed bag.
I play at 2560x1600 with max settings. Texture resolution could have been better but I've seen worse. However, I was surprised by grass being drawn 3 meters in front of your feet. This looks just horrible.

Deepo

From Nvidia rep on official Nvidia forums:

We are working with the developer to fix an issue with the game that causes corruption in SLI mode. We are very hopeful this issue will be resolved soon and we can roll out an SLI profile to customers afterwards.

Just found this, awesome Remedy is awesome for this.

iHOCsm0jwGSsx.jpg

edit: beaten so bad T__T

Edit2: Found something kinda cool, if you alt tab without pausing the game, retab to the game. It fades in like a TV turning on.

Android Users download - Google Goggles

iPhone Users download - Scan

Windows Phone 7 - Built In

Here are some screen shots of this game. Yes it is imgur but I don't really care since I used Steam which takes them in .jpg, so quality wasn't a major concern. Every setting is maxed out. Not sure what my framerate is but it never drops below 30 so I don't really feel like checking.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.2 ghz
MSI GTX 560 Ti @ 880
8GB DDR3 RAM
Win 7 Ult 64-bit

Edit:
Windows Phone T - lol?

In Windows Phone 7 you don't need an extra app to read QR codes. The functionality is built right into the OS. lol?

Windows Phone T - lol?
nope. just hit search, and then press the eye icon.

edit: let's highlight the draw distance in Alan Wake. in episode 3 you can hike up to the radio mast.

alanwake2012-02-1719-yrdk4.png

alanwake2012-02-1719-r2fgu.png

the building to the bottom left in second screen? that's where i just came from. the buildings in the middle nearer the top? that's where i'm headed. it's vistas like this that make me glad they started the game as an open world one.

aeolist

Banned
Oh man Remedy is back

This game is so different from Max Payne 1 and 2 but I'm so happy to see all the little touches that made those games special

Jtrizzy

Yeah I posted last night about this...I don't feel as constrained in this game as I do in other linear 3rd person shooters. It doesn't feel like you are just running down corridors, unlike other games.

aeolist

Banned
Yeah I posted last night about this...I don't feel as constrained in this game as I do in other linear 3rd person shooters. It doesn't feel like you are just running down corridors, unlike other games.

Doesn't hurt that the level design is fucking great

Really subtle cues to get you where you need to go and just generally as intuitive as all hell

iNvid02

fuck yeah, knew nvidia would work dat magic and bring sli

hopefully its out around the retail release next month

Jtrizzy

Doesn't hurt that the level design is fucking great

Really subtle cues to get you where you need to go and just generally as intuitive as all hell

Just wish they'd left out the collectible thermoses. The manuscripts makes some sense in the context of the game. The thermos collection just seems totally out of place.

Just wish they'd left out the collectible thermoses. The manuscripts makes some sense in the context of the game. The thermos collection just seems totally out of place.

The thermoses are a reference to Twin Peaks. Just like many other things in the game. The achievement for getting all thermoses is appropriately named "Damn Good Cup of Coffee".

ArjanN

Yeah, there's some other questionable design decisions as well, but that's definately one of the bigger ones.

The thermoses are a reference to Twin Peaks. Just like many other things in the game. The achievement for getting all thermoses is appropriately named "Damn Good Cup of Coffee".

Well yeah, but they totally clash with the game design. Oh no, a monster is chasing me! Better check behind every tree for a collectable! Hunting for them also makes you notice the linearity of the maps more.

Jtrizzy

They are unnecessary though since the game is pretty much a running homage to Twin Peaks, and the manuscripts are there to satisfy the collecting thing. The shiny thermoses just stick out as being very gamey in a very believable and atmospheric world. I could be missing the point though, I watched the show when it was on, but that was a long time ago lol.

Yeah, there's some other questionable design decisions as well, but that's definately one of the bigger ones.

Well yeah, but they totally clash with the game design. Oh no, a monster is chasing me! Better check behind every tree for a collectable! Hunting for them also makes you notice the linearity of the maps more.

You don't have to bother with them if you don't like them.

They are unnecessary though since the game is pretty much a running homage to Twin Peaks, and the manuscripts are there to satisfy the collecting thing. The shiny thermoses just stick out as being very gamey in a very believable and atmospheric world. I could be missing the point though, I watched the show when it was on, but that was a long time ago lol.

Most things in the game are gamey. Like how you somehow always end up in the woods/mountains during night time, fighting the same people over and over. Or, when you find magic places with infinite ammo. It is a game after all.

leng jai

Beautiful game, but I got nothing from this game I didn't already get on the 360.

So did you buy it? Pretty stupid if you did if playing it with better graphics means nothing to you.

The blur really does look terrible now that the IQ is so much sharper. Definitely needs to be turned off. The atmosphere is incredibly good though and the PC version aids it significantly with the upgraded visuals. Some of the best if not bet fog effects around and when you combine with it the fantastic sound design/soundtrack you've got something special.

aeolist

Banned
I really like that it gives you the feeling of controlling a normal middle-aged guy without it being awkward or annoying

Robot Pants

Man, PC. The way Alan Wake was meant to be played.
It looks so good. Too bad my video card will play it only marginally better than my Xbox.

Actually maybe you dude's can help.
I got a GTX260, how well do you think it would run?

scitek

So did you buy it? Pretty stupid if you did if playing it with better graphics means nothing to you.

The blur really does look terrible now that the IQ is so much sharper. Definitely needs to be turned off. The atmosphere is incredibly good though and the PC version aids it significantly with the upgraded visuals. Some of the best if not bet fog effects around and when you combine with it the fantastic sound design/soundtrack you've got something special.

I think the blur looks bad in the day scenes, but really adds to the atmosphere when the fog comes rolling in at night. I wonder if there's a way to bind the "noblur" command.

ArjanN

But they're still there and you'll notice them.

Most things in the game are gamey. Like how you somehow always end up in the woods/mountains during night time, fighting the same people over and over. Or, when you find magic places with infinite ammo. It is a game after all.

IMO the game would have been better if all those elements were less gamey.

PowerK

Is there a way to increase the grass draw distance? The pop-in is quite distracting.
Yeah, the grass being drawn 3 meters in front of your feet looks just horrible. And I have LOD distance as well as draw distance set to max. I wonder if there's cvar to fix this.

leng jai

Hmmm can't say I noticed the bad pop in. Maybe this has something to do with the bugged sliders? I left mine at default to the left.

Hmmm can't say I noticed the bad pop in. Maybe this has something to do with the bugged sliders? I left mine at default to the left.

I tried both sliders all the way in both directions; the grass will pop in pretty damn close either way.

Any chance of a demo? How would this run on 4GB Ram and 8800GTS?

My guess is that it will run poorly with that card. Is it the G90 or G92 GTS? Does it have 320/640MB VRAM, or 512MB? The minimum is a DX10 compatible GPU with 512 MB RAM, which would be a 8800GT/GTS (G92) I suppose.

Jtrizzy

That is just the setting of the game. If they must include it, then make it upgrade your flashlight or give you health or something like that.

The ammo stuff (which is neccesary to the game unlike these) is at least explained in the manuscripts that "someone else knows about this and is leaving these behind to aid me" Maybe I missed it, but I didn't catch any explanation as to why there are random thermoses everywhere.

It's not a big deal, but why have something that breaks immersion if it has no effect on the gameplay other than to get an achievement.

FGMPR

Banned
Welcome to 2010.

Are PC gamers enjoying AW?

Yes, thoroughly. Considering the 360 releases response from many people, I wasn't expecting to enjoy this anywhere near as much as I have, but the story has me hooked, the game structure and repetitiveness remind me of Max Payne in a good way and the atmosphere is approaching Cryostasis/STALKER levels of immersion.

It doesn't hurt that it looks as good as it does and overall is a fantastic port, too. I just hope we get to see 'American Nightmares' some time in the future.

FGMPR

Banned
That is just the setting of the game. If they must include it, then make it upgrade your flashlight or give you health or something like that.

The ammo stuff (which is neccesary to the game unlike these) is at least explained in the manuscripts that "someone else knows about this and is leaving these behind to aid me" Maybe I missed it, but I didn't catch any explanation as to why there are random thermoses everywhere.

It's not a big deal, but why have something that breaks immersion if it has no effect on the gameplay other than to get an achievement.

I kind of figured the thermoses where a figment of his imagination and some kind of reminder of Alice
(due to the scene in the start of Chapter 2 in your home)
. I'm only about 1/2 through the game though and I'm probably wrong about it meaning anything.

Gav47

Is there a config file for the graphics settings, I can only find ones for localisation and resolution. And are the game files really only 3GB in size? It might explain some of the lower res textures.

scitek

I haven't thought for one second that this isn't all happening in some dream land like the opening nightmare. I have no idea whether I'm right or not, but I don't know why anything in the game has to actually make sense for you to buy into it. It features axe-wielding psychos that are hurt by a flashlight beam.

FGMPR

Banned
I haven't thought for one second that this isn't all happening in some dream land like the opening nightmare. I have no idea whether I'm right or not, but I don't know why anything in the game has to actually make sense for you to buy into it. It features axe-wielding psychos that are hurt by a flashlight beam.

Yeah, this is why I feel they are a figment of Alan's imagination and have some deeper meaning than just collectables.

Jtrizzy

In Uncharted, you collect artifacts. This fits into the story, and provides gamers with a little collection thing. Alan Wake does the same thing with manuscripts, which flesh out the story. Adding the thermos is pointless, it would be like ND add little Indiana Jones hats throughout the world to collect.

Random collectathons are fine in open world games and others that aren't attempting to be cinematic, linear, story driven etc. It's a minor complaint of course, but I just see it as an unnecessary addition for people who like "cheevos", and stuff like that is bad design choice in this game imo.

Yeah, this is why I feel they are a figment of Alan's imagination and have some deeper meaning than just collectables.

It's also entirely possible that they are explained at some point, or that I missed their explanation. I'm only on chapter 2.

closnyc

Banned
Someone w/ a 580 let me know how it runs. I've wanted this since it 1st came out but can wait longer if t runs like crap.

dont listen to the haters man. Their low end rigs cant pmax it out. I hit 50-60 fps completley maxed out, and if i take motion blur off its 60. Beastly game, that fov slider makes a huge difference too. It is a really well made port with pc assets all the way.

FGMPR

Banned
dont listen to the haters man. Their low end rigs cant pmax it out. I hit 50-60 fps completley maxed out, and if i take motion blur off its 60. Beastly game, that fov slider makes a huge difference too. It is a really well made port with pc assets all the way.

I'm on a 580 @1680x1050 with all settings maxed (2x AA) and it runs silky smooth, so I'll second that. I'm not sure what the poster was on about yesterday when he said the performance didn't justify the games appearance.

Top Bottom