• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennington

Neo Member
I'm preeeetty sure they weren't there yesterday. Absolutely sure.

The sparkly stuff has been there since they put up that CE banner. I'm 100% sure on that because I distinctly remember wondering what the hell it was. It seems like they've boosted the colour, visibility and number of sparkles since then. The sparkles used to be closer to white and far fewer, so you'd only see them occasionally, hence my confusion over what they were.

Jira

It wouldn't be crazy if they actually did have them in the client, just closed. It's more work to remove them from the branch than it is to just close off access to the zones, especially because zones are instanced and not connected. But of course, I could be wrong, we just don't really know for sure unless someone manages to break into the .dat file and extract the content.

That's very true.

You should be able to transfer the .dat file over to other PCs without any hassle right? Because the prospect of redownloading 15gb does not sound exciting.

Yeah it'll be no problem as long as they don't require a full download after we get this new client.

Vhalyar

The real collector's edition is priced at "GW1 + Expansions + 200 hours of your life". But man, do you get some cool stuff for that price!

GrizzNKev

Banned
So I just spent close to 10 hours playing TERA with a friend. Got to level 20 as an archer, never went under half HP. After experiencing GW2, I was nearly falling asleep with the questing. The entire experience was a massive list of "Kill x Monsters" and "Talk to NPC" on loop. Graphics are really nice, combat is decent if you don't like moving at all ever, and to keep the "real man MMO-FO" joke running I played as a bunny Elin. Wasn't terrible but I am now absolutely sure that nothing short of GW2 can satisfy me.

I only spent so much time on it because of all of the comments I was seeing in the TERA beta thread about needing to experience level 20 to get a real feel for the game. I felt everything up to 20 was insanely easy, then at 20 there's a huge leap in difficulty where anything slightly higher than you in level becomes impossible to kill. It was very odd.

So I just spent close to 10 hours playing TERA with a friend. Got to level 20 as an archer, never went under half HP. After experiencing GW2, I was nearly falling asleep with the questing. The entire experience was a massive list of "Kill x Monsters" and "Talk to NPC" on loop. Graphics are really nice, combat is decent if you don't like moving at all ever, and to keep the "real man MMO-FO" joke running I played as a bunny Elin. Wasn't terrible but I am now absolutely sure that nothing short of GW2 can satisfy me.

I only spent so much time on it because of all of the comments I was seeing in the TERA beta thread about needing to experience level 20 to get a real feel for the game. I felt everything up to 20 was insanely easy, then at 20 there's a huge leap in difficulty where anything slightly higher than you in level becomes impossible to kill. It was very odd.

The no moving put me off the game completely. Feels odd to not move with how the combat works. Made it feel like an FPS that you had to stand still to shoot to me. That and the quests as you mentioned were pretty boring.

Achtius

The real collector's edition is priced at "GW1 + Expansions + 200 hours of your life". But man, do you get some cool stuff for that price!

Basically this. Thankfully I already got 30/50.

Can't wait to use the Fire God's Vambraces, which probably look out of place.

salpa

Banned
200 hours?

Try 2000.

f9QWR.jpg

Guys what do I get for linking accounts with first one? Basically I can't for the life of me remember the password for the first game and Arena.net staff is atrocious with helping me. So is it worth it dealing with support just so I can link accounts to GW2?

Helmholtz

Well, that's true, but in some ways you can. It's clearly a better game in certain areas by a huge margin (graphics, control, world persistence).
Yeah, of course. But I don't know, I was talking about it with one of my GW1 guild mates a while back, and we came to the conclusion that aside from lore and aesthetic, GW1 and GW2 are completely different games in almost every way. So in that respect I don't think it's ever going to be a fair comparison because the things they both attempt to do are completely different. I think GW1 did what it wanted to do very well; that is, be a co-op RPG more rooted in a diablo type system. Time will tell how well GW2 does an open world mmo.
I wonder if the HOM rewards will be purchasable on the store later...
The backlash would be insane. The GW1 community is pretty serious about stuff like that :p
I only got to 16 points, just way too much grinding to do to get more for me. :(
Really? The first 30-ish points don't really require much grinding iirc. It's really only getting the titles that require a lot of grinding, but you only need to get a lot of titles if you want to go beyond 30 points I think.

200 hours?
Try 2000.
Allow me to 1up you:
YlCsp.png

:D
:(

Jira

Yeah, of course. But I don't know, I was talking about it with one of my GW1 guild mates a while back, and we came to the conclusion that aside from lore and aesthetic, GW1 and GW2 are completely different games in almost every way. So in that respect I don't think it's ever going to be a fair comparison because the things they both attempt to do are completely different. I think GW1 did what it wanted to do very well; that is, be a co-op RPG more rooted in a diablo type system. Time will tell how well GW2 does an open world mmo.

The backlash would be insane. The GW1 community is pretty serious about stuff like that :p

Agreed, they are COMPLETELY different games. ANet said they already made GW1 so why would they make it again? GW2 allowed them to go in another direction and do something entirely different. Doing something entirely different isn't something many developers ever seem to want to do.

Helmholtz

Agreed, they are COMPLETELY different games. ANet said they already made GW1 so why would they make it again? GW2 allowed them to go in another direction and do something entirely different. Doing something entirely different isn't something many developers ever seem to want to do.
Let me tell you, I'm so fucking glad they're doing something different. I'm bored to death of GW1's gameplay now; not to say it wasn't fun during those initial 2000 hours, but yeah, enough is enough :p

Artadius

So happy about this too. I did not like GW1 at all to be honest. But I've enjoyed GW2 so far.

Complistic

I have 6/50 on the HoM. Atleast I'll get a cool outfit ;P

As far as the time/reward ratio goes, I think just getting the armor is the most efficient use of someone time. All the other rewards are cool, but the time required to get them compared to what they are just isn't as good as the armors. I lucked out and had 29/50 when the reward thing first went up so i just bought a few weapons to get to 30.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Not a fan with some of their choices lately, including the whole region business and charging people £50. Looking forward to the beta, but it doesn't matter if I like it or not, they've got their money already.

Retro

Retro should be making a grinding joke any moment here ;)

Sorry, was out shopping. Um... something-something Charr plushie, something-something rule 34. Sorry, best I can do on such short notice.

Guys what do I get for linking accounts with first one?

Apart from what others have mentioned, your character names from GW1 are automatically reserved in GW2 if you link your accounts.

Not a fan with some of their choices lately, including the whole region business and charging people £50. Looking forward to the beta, but it doesn't matter if I like it or not, they've got their money already.

Yeah, the most unpleasant part of the whole GW2 experience so far has been the pre-purchase confusion. It seems like they weren't entirely prepared for it. Hopefully once it launches the worst will be behind us.

Arken2121

It maybe aggravating but deep down, we'll all forget about it on that faithful day.

Alex

Tera actually had the makings to bust past the terrible Korean MMO standard, but it never quite manages it. Looks good, runs good, plays well (although combat isn't half as good as you'd think listening to its fans, but it's very solid), but most of the content is pretty much shit, it doesn't really do anything at all new and it has some of the worst tuning I've seen in ages. In the end it just winds up with the exact same awkward feeling as other Korean MMOs.

Also, as someone who has played a lot of Asian MMOs in general, the communities for them seem to be less.... Belligerent, but instead far more capable of defending BLINDINGLY obvious design faceplants until the death, and passing off awkward information and tips due to it.

salpa

Banned

Really? The first 30-ish points don't really require much grinding iirc. It's really only getting the titles that require a lot of grinding, but you only need to get a lot of titles if you want to go beyond 30 points I think.

Allow me to 1up you:
YlCsp.png

:D
:(

I plan on getting back into it to finish as much of my HoM as I can before GW2 comes out.

Let's check again in a few weeks :p

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Apart from what others have mentioned, your character names from GW1 are automatically reserved in GW2 if you link your accounts.

Does it matter if you have Eye of the North? I'm still going to try to get 30/50 for HoM but lately I haven't had any time to play GW1. I would at least like my names reserved for my GW1 character. I know you need EotN for HoM in GW2.

Retro

Does it matter if you have Eye of the North? I'm still going to try to get 30/50 for HoM but lately I haven't had any time to play GW1. I would at least like my names reserved for my GW1 character. I know you need EotN for HoM in GW2.

Any version of GW1 works I would imagine.

Shrennin

Any version of GW1 works I would imagine.

That sounds fantastic!

Although is GW2 going to allow characters with the same name (with a number identifier after the name)?

I hope they don't go that route, but I could understand it if they did.

Retro

That sounds fantastic!

Although is GW2 going to allow characters with the same name (with a number identifier after the name)?

I hope they don't go that route, but I could understand it if they did.

I think you're confusing character names with account usernames (which is yourname.####). In GW2, there won't be any characters with the same name, each is unique.

So load up EotN and get yer names asap.

Shrennin

I think you're confusing character names with account usernames (which is yourname.####). In GW2, there won't be any characters with the same name, each is unique.

Oh, okay. Sweetness!

So load up EotN and get yer names asap.

Don't have EotN, only the original GW. I am going to get the trilogy + EotN eventually but for now I only have Prophecies.

Retro

Oh, okay. Sweetness!

Yep. I call dibs on xXxUltIMatExSEPHlR0thxXx though.

Shrinnan said:
Don't have EotN, only the original GW. I am going to get the trilogy + EotN eventually but for now I only have Prophecies.

Yeah, I misread your earliest post, you were asking if you needed EotN and I thought you had asked if EotN would work. I've only got Prophecies too.

So how do you connect the account? I don't have anything for guild wars 2 yet, but can I already link something?

When you register your GW2 account, it has a field for your GW1 account information.

Xx AmAzE xX

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm former avid GW1 player and wanted to see if any of you GAFers will be planning to PvP in the beta.

I stopped playing in early 2009 but I'm r10 (Illustrious Hero) and used to be a member of a top 20 guild. Just wanted to see if any of you all were planning on PvPing.

GW2 looks awesome can't wait.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey guys, I'm former avid GW1 player and wanted to see if any of you GAFers will be planning to PvP in the beta.

I stopped playing in early 2009 but I'm r10 (Illustrious Hero) and used to be a member of a top 20 guild. Just wanted to see if any of you all were planning on PvPing.

Definitely planning to try WvW at least. Have you been to the community thread?

Kapoios

Neo Member
I'm planning to mostly pvp/wvw in the beta events.
Doing pve now would spoil the experience for when the game is finally released.

Retro

I'm planning to mostly pvp/wvw in the beta events.
Doing pve now would spoil the experience for when the game is finally released.

I'll probably do PVE stuff during the day, in a zone I don't intend to play a lot of, I'm avoiding the human areas completely if at all possible. Then I'll pick up WvW after my wife goes to bed since she's not a fan of PVP (though she said she'd try WvW).

Here's a gem for your marketing powers

+1 gem*

*Actual cash value represents $0.009 US

Yep. I call dibs on xXxUltIMatExSEPHlR0thxXx though.

Dammit!

I plan on mostly PvPing,I want to try it out with a couple classes. The only PvE I will probably be doing is some class and race I'm not interested in. Probably Charr Guardian.

Vano

I will main a human elementalist so i will roll a chart or norn ele to test things out and dont spoil the starting zone,but i will use most of my time pvping too, got to get used to it and study it.

Rad-

I miss GW1's early ranks. I remember the time when even r6 was badass. :lol Then came r9 and people went apeshit when you flashed the rank. I stopped playing around the time everyone was r6.

Damn early HoH was fucking amazing.

And yes, I'll be playing PVP mainly. Some WvWvW too if it's fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom