• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Nintendo win you back?

They lost me in my early teen age years, but got me back with Gamecube.
When I was a teen I felt that Nintendo was too childish and uncool to enjoy.
I eventually snap out that teen age shit. I hope you do the same.

Undead

Never really left, just don't buy a Nintendo console until certain games are available like Zelda and a proper Mario (normally years after launch)

No. Nintendo has not made a game I really enjoyed since 2007 (Radiant Dawn). Even longer if we're talking specifically about Nintendo EAD (Twilight Princess).

They simply don't make games that I enjoy anymore. The only way I could see myself buying another Nintendo console is if Resident Evil became Nintendo-exclusive again, but considering how thst almost bankrupted Capcom the last time, I don't think that's ever going to happen again. =P

Dysun

I'll just keep buying their consoles at a steep discount after 2 years have passed and they finally have ~5 games that interest me. It's worked very well post-Wii

Duxxy3

It hasn't been that long since Prime 3.
We don't speak of Other M.
Plus Miyamoto has expressed interest in new 2D & 3D Metroid games for the 3DS & the Wii U respectively. I don't get why everyone acts like Nintendo has abandoned the franchise. Wait until E3, more so since Retro has been working on their new Wii U project since they finished Tropical Freeze.

Came out in 2007 and it had motion controls. Talking about metroid and actually doing something with it are completely different stories.

This isn't the late 90's/early '00's anymore. I'm not waiting on Nintendo. I don't watch any of their media shows any more. I don't pay much attention to anything related to Nintendo. Too much disappointment over the years. I've found other franchises to enjoy. Other systems that serve my purposes.

Nintendo wanted a new audience with the Wii and they got one. In the process they burned their old audience.

*Their online is garbage all around
*Their reluctance to build an "account"
*Their communication features are garbage and basic stuff like parties and voice chat are practically nonexistent
*Their home hardware lacks HDDs, ethernet ports and they are obsessed with low two digit wattage
*They just seem to innovate for innovation's sake. The Wii-mote+ and nunchuck are great and so are things they did in the past, but they just innovate even if expensive
*F-Zero, Wave Race, Metroid, 1080 and many other classics are resting in pieces

I can begin to deal with the death of some of their great IPs and the mediocre hardware if the OS/Online features are robust, but Nintendo just don't care. They don't want to win me back because it's their way or the highway.

I'm not even sure when Nintendo lost me. I've just gradually grown more and more bored of them despite their games still being mostly good, if not great. Haven't bought a WiiU and don't plan to at this point. Not too sure what they could do to get me super interested in their products again.

KTO

It would take something so ridiculously implausible, like Kojima's next big project and a mainline FF game being nintendo exclusive, for me to go back.

7threst

They never lost me. The variety and colour they add to a pretty stale industry is just awesome. Their games are always great and very polished. Also, with their E3-presence last year they're responsible for me getting excited for E3 again.

I really hope Nintendo won't listen to the hardcore talking about competitive hardware and stuff like that, and just keep doing whatever the fuck they want.

Neoxon

Uhh it's been 8 years. That's longer than the infamous hiatus from Super to Prime 1. The Metroid series is as good as dead.
And again I reference Miyamoto's desire to do 2D & 3D Metroid games as well as Retro Studios' unannounced project. It's too soon to assume it's dead, more so since even counting Other M, it had a recent entry. The same cannot be said for F-Zero.

KaoteK

Region Free

As someone who lives in a region where buying physical WiiU games is ridiculously expensive, and you can't buy digital unless you have a cc from the region your console is from (usually US) this, a million times. I want a Nintendo console in my life, but not at any cost...

Also sort out the account system FFS.

Rappy

Uhh it's been 8 years. That's longer than the infamous hiatus from Super to Prime 1. The Metroid series is as good as dead.
No, it's the same fucking time (in fact, Super Metroid - Prime still is 8 months longer). And just because someone says "we don't talk about Other M" doesn't mean it was never made.

There are a lot of valid complaints and reasons why Nintendo is not doing so well this generation, but holy fuck do a ton of everyone just give bullshit reasons all over the internet.

weekev

Banned
There are two reasons why I find this so odd.

1) This technology is now decades old. It isn't some new fangled thing that Microsoft and Sony have figured out; it's been widely adopted by technology companies for years and years.

2) It also isn't that complicated to implement. There are small websites with unified account systems; why has this proven so difficult for Nintendo?

It would be one thing if we were talking about some really complicated, new technology that Nintendo was struggling to implement, but this is very basic network infrastructure. The fact that something so simple has taken so long doesn't just suggest a failing, it suggests total and complete incompetence regarding networking.
Yeah its Nintendos failure to understand the makeup of the gaming market and focus too much on what made Wii successful instead of getting that infrastructure in place.

Im not denying there have been some weird choices, they still cater to my individual needs though, which is to make local coop games that focus on fun and gameplay.

All that being said, if Nintendo came out and catered to 3rd parties with a powerhouse on x86 architecture to make it accessible for devs I cant say Id be disappointed with their decision.

I can almost guarantee NX wont be that though.

Neoxon

Yeah its Nintendos failure to understand the makeup of the gaming market and focus too much on what made Wii successful instead of getting that infrastructure in place.

Im not denying there have been some weird choices, they still cater to my individual needs though, which is to make local coop games that focus on fun and gameplay.

All that being said, if Nintendo came out and catered to 3rd parties with a powerhouse on x86 architecture to make it accessible for devs I cant say Id be disappointed with their decision.

I can almost guarantee NX wont be that though.
I believe Iwata said something along the lines of the NX absorbing the Wii U's architecture, which pretty much means no x86.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
They haven't lost me.

PC is my third party machine anyway, and I like Nintendo's first party output the best, so I tend to buy their machines. Going to pull the trigger on a WiiU at some point this year.

They always make good games, so im still here provided they dont take a drop in quality.

I will like them to embrace x86 and online more as well as keep on bringing new IPs to the table.

Delio

Long as they keep making Pokemon,Mario Kart and other quirky titles they will never lose me. Too many franchises I love from them to just stop playing them.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Nintendo would have to do each of these to win me back.

1. F-Zero done with at least the same budget as mario kart 8.

2. New FPS metroid

3. Star Fox that just uses a controller and not sone stupid gimmick with the tablet.

4. They need to make new ips that don't have anything to do with established ones.

5. Mario games (and games in that universe) should get a long rest.

magnumpy

I believe Iwata said something along the lines of the NX absorbing the Wii U's architecture, which pretty much means no x86.

somehow this brought forth the taps medly in my head

4ABDXLH.jpg

They never lost me...sure the Wii U got its issues, but if you ask me it is a marvelous system with first party titles Sony and MS wish they had. And we all know Nintendo can get so much out of their own hardware once they really understand it, so as off now, Nintendo made a good job stepping up in the HD-generation (maybe not saleswise) but the attachment rates for their blockbuster games is way above 50 % I guess.

So if you can get a Wii U, get it now. The "backlog" right now is already filled with incredibly games, and more are to come (Splatoon, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Maker, Star Fox, Zelda and whatever Nintendo has back up their sleeves

Roo

1. F-Zero done with at least the same budget as mario kart 8.

2. New FPS metroid

3. Star Fox that just uses a controller and not sone stupid gimmick with the tablet.

4. They need to make new ips that don't have anything to do with established ones.

5. Mario games (and games in that universe) should get a long rest.

lmao
Goodbye then.

Kurt

Never lost me.
My only wish is a proper sequel to super metroid, (high budget).

Don't feel like i'm missing any games on the other consoles.
I've been playing a few of the big titles, but i can't feel the enjoyment about them.
Besides that, i don't have to much time anymore to game all day long, so saying that there are more then enough games on the wii u & 3ds to get me busy.

Don't care about voice chat.
Don't care about amiibo.
Don't wan't to have voice chat
About online: i only care that some of the games such as mario party should have a online option.

They should never stop creating mario platform games.

I haven't left. They still got me on the handheld space. As for consoles, I'll just wait till the wii u and the games I want are very cheap.

Neoxon

1. F-Zero done with at least the same budget as mario kart 8. While Nintendo has been teasing F-Zero for a while, I doubt they can justify giving it a Mario Kart 8-tier budget since it isn't a sure-bet in terms of sales.

2. New FPS metroid That actually may happen if you mean something like Metroid Prime.

3. Star Fox that just uses a controller and not sone stupid gimmick with the tablet. Sorry, it looks like the next Star Fox will take advantage of the GamePad if the off-screen footage is anything to go by. We'll probably get more info at E3.

4. They need to make new ips that don't have anything to do with established ones. Splatoon, Xenoblade, Code Name: STEAM, & The Wonderful 101 all say hi.

5. Mario games (and games in that universe) should get a long rest. Yeah, that's not happening. And the games are still great, so I don't see why they should stop.
Yyyyyyup

pixelation

I love their software output, but they really need to put out hardware that isn't left ridiculed when compared to their competitors.

Neiteio

Just want to point out that "F-Zero NX" is such a perfect name that they practically have to make it. (Even when the console inevitably drops the codename)

Sakura

In terms of home consoles they lost me with the Wii, but won me back already with the Wii U.
Always liked their handhelds though.

I'll purchase some of their products eventually. I'm no longer an early adopter this gen, and I feel like buying the 3DS at launch and feeling burned contributed to that.

I refuse to buy any more Nintendo hardware until the unified account situation is officially fixed, though. The fact that I cannot play my eShop games on my 3DS XL without having to do a system transfer from my original 3DS is utterly ridiculous. The way they still struggle to get basic things with online right--like the lack of options offered in Smash 4's For Glory mode--might have been quaint a few years ago, but are tiresome now.

I'll probably pick up a Wii U in the distant future for cheap and do the same for any future hardware if the games I want are released. I'm just a more cautious and less tolerant consumer these days.

ShinMaruku

Never had me my tastes and their differ. That said, their cheapness their massive control, there is a reason this is one of the old zabatsu and why they have been so profitable. I don't want them to 100% follow everybody else. If only to keep the market honest.

LaNaranja

I didn't leave. That said they should bring back the Deluxe Digital Promotion (get $5 back for every $50 you spend) and Club Nintendo. I miss getting rewards for buying stuff. :/

Bahlor

I love their software output, but they really need to put out hardware that isn't left ridiculed when compared to their competitors.

I don't think so. I personally think Nintendo never needed strong hardware or third party support, they always had been my second console. I either had xbox360 + wii and now wiiu + ps4. I hear this quite often as their software lineup is always pretty great in my opinion. The hardware never did really bad to them I guess. WiiU has some really really awesome looking games and who would even play games like Battlefield etc. on a nintendo platform?

For me: no need to win me back, always great and very polished games, really fair prices and overall a great company. NX will be day 1 I guess :)

They're a corporation, I feel nothing personal about any business decision they make that is in the best interest of their business.

If they make a product that appeals to me I will buy it. I honestly don't care who makes my games or what platform they play on.

So I guess I can't say they lost me because no one actually has me. I struggle reconciling people's blind loyalty to products and companies sometimes.

So I guess as long as they make products that I know I will enjoy then I will support them. I don't buy all Nintendo products, and I sure as heck don't support all of their wacko business decisions, but I do buy the games and system(s) that appeal to me.

I also don't think Nintendo should worry about pleasing one group or the other outside of focusing on deliver good content and focusing on all customer satisfaction in general. I know that's a generic answer, but it's pretty simple.
The thing is they aren't just a corporation and it's more than a product they are selling you. They are some of the smartest designers, engineers and programmers in the business. They're artists. If you're not passionate about the hobby then why are you posting on a message board. I like Doritos and if they keep making products I enjoy I will buy them. If they stopped making cool ranch Doritos I would be mildly displeased. But you don't see me posting on the Doritos message board. If Nintendo decided to stop making games and go all in on slot machines a part of my childhood would be gone. Not saying you should love them as much as I do, just that it has nothing to do with blind loyalty and everything to do with appreciating the art of good game design. I can't imagine what it's like to consider video games to be just another product, like shampoo or peanut butter.

Nintendo's handhelds are pretty good; as I own a 3ds. However, I won't be owning there next handheld if it is region-locked full stop. With there home consoles there is really nothing that they can do to get me back. I am fully invested in the playstation ecosystem at this point and have been since the PS1 days which my parents got me after my snes broke lol.

Nightbird

I never fully left, i'm just taking a Detour trough Sonyland at the Moment, but i'm definetly coming back once the next Handheld drops.

Nintendo has a lot of issues, but they are aware of those and working on it. If people would inform themselves about their wishes they would know that

Lionheart

A console with no gimmicks for € 199 or € 249 and a unified account system would be a good step. If they ever create a Pokémon MMO, they'll definitely have me back.

Petrae

Nothing, really. Third-party relations aren't going to be repaired anytime soon (if ever), Nintendo won't be implementing a consistent achievement system (unlike its competition has already done), and "the usual suspects" have just become stale for me. Icing on the cake like not packaging power adapters along with New 3DS XL units and persistent difficulty/obstacles in getting access to digital purchases on new/replacement devices was really the final nail in the coffin for me.

Nintendo doesn't have to win me back. It doesn't care that I'm gone. What I want from the company and what the company wants to deliver are two different things.

We'll always have the NES and SNES days, though. No hard feelings; I hope the company fares better in Gen9.

Nightbird

A console with no gimmicks for € 199 or € 249 and a unified account system would be a good step. If they ever create a Pokémon MMO, they'll definitely have me back.

Have you played X/Y/OR/AS?

Those Games have almost a whole MMO inside (you're just not able to see Player Avatars in the Overworld while online, and there are no Quests. But you can still battle,trade and chat with everyone who appears on your bottom screen)

As for your first Point: You really want them to go with an underpowered Console again? Because this is what you will get for <250€

Xiao Hu

They will have me back as a customer who uses their system as his primary platform, but only if Nintendo magically succeeded in getting back 3rd party and also could foster an output akin to Naughty Dog. That said I can't only live of the occasional Zelda and Metroid when I get a better offering on the competing systems.

As primarily a PC gamer Nintendo could be my console of choice every gen if they could get the same third party support as PS and Xbox do.

In the last few gens though, I usually pick up a nintendo console at its generation end with 6-7 Nintendo Ips that interest me. Keep it for a few months and finish those games. Then sell it. As things stand its kind pointless to own a console for which I get maybe 1 or 2 games I am interested in every year.

Nintendo needs to care more about online communication and online multiplayer (competitive and co-op).

• Mario Party 10 without online.
  • Splatoon launching without parties and voice chat.
  • Super Mario 3D World not having online co-op or any of their other games like The Wonderful 101.
  • The list goes on..

And before someone spouts some nonsense about online and platforming games, go play some emulators. SNES games played online work fine, as do 64 games like Mario Party 1-3 and this Mario 64 co-op mod I have where 2 players can play at the same time (2nd player as Luigi). How well does it work? Well, whoever made it was creative because it works very well.

Top Bottom