• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrell

Sometimes I forget that it was Nintendo that brought us so many of these controller innovations. D-Pads, shoulder buttons, analog sticks, rumble functions, motion controls. They make it first, then everybody else follows the leader on it because it works and people like it.

Who knows, maybe PS4/720 whatever is gonna have a screen in the controller, too.

I was gonna say analog triggers, but that title is held by Sega and the Dreamcast controller.

And to Sony's credit, they were also the first to think of putting 2 analog sticks on a controller, so it's not like they've done nothing to innovate. It was usually clear that they only ever did it to 1-up the competition spec-wise. "Only one analog stick? LULZ, we have 2. Choke on that!"

Not to mention the now standard 4 button diamond layout (SNES), analog triggers (gamecube), wireless (gamecube wavebird), and touch screen (ds).

You can pretty much guarantee Sony and Microsoft are at least looking at the screen tech in their R&D departments.

Hey, good ideas are good ideas. If you can take from your competitor and make 'em work, all the power to you. That's why I didn't hop on "lol Sony Smash Bros what a rip-off!" Yeah, it's a pretty clear take on the Smash Bros concept, but if it's a great game in it's own right, I don't think that matters too much. I think the only reason people care is because we don't have a lot of Smash Bros games out there. There's a billion and one 2d platformers, but nobody calls them SMB clones even if they all directly build on it's rules. Same thing with 2d fighters, we've long passed the moniker of "Street Fighter clones" because they're just so many of them, they've grown and expanded so far.

I was gonna say analog triggers, but that title is held by Sega and the Dreamcast controller.

And to Sony's credit, they were also the first to think of putting 2 analog sticks on a controller, so it's not like they've done nothing to innovate. It was usually clear that they only ever did it to 1-up the competition spec-wise. "Only one analog stick? LULZ, we have 2. Choke on that!"

PS4 to have THREE analog sticks confirmed

HylianTom

Banned
Why is there any reason to believe the Wii U will have haptic feedback?
Honestly, there's no real hard evidence in any direction. Earlier, we were discussing possibilities for "the final secret(s)" of the Wii U and haptics was one of them. There are pros and cons for the technology, and while I'd be delighted if Nintendo did implement this kind of feature, I'd be shocked as well.

Still, it's a possibility that sticks in the back of my mind..

Why is there any reason to believe the Wii U will have haptic feedback?

Pretty sure a company that makes haptic feedback technology is sharing a booth with Nintendo or has one near Nintendo during E3 or something along those lines. I can't remember specifically. I'm sure there's someone here who has a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

Could just be coincidence, though.

Antioch

I'm not too familiar with haptic feedback outside of rumble, so could someone clarify what applications this could have in gaming and specifically the Wii U?

Alrix

I'm sure this kind of thing has been said already, but just throwing in my opinion:

I think Wii U (hopefully with a cool rename but let's not get ahead of ourselves) has huge, huge potential. If they bring out their full first party lineup to support it, it'll do great. We already know Pikmin 3 is coming, and obviously Mario and Zelda, Metroid and Donkey Kong etc, but it's how they handle the other franchises that interests me. F-Zero, Kid Icarus (hopefully KI stays alive), maybe revivals of Ice Climbers or Earthbound/Mother, etc. They have enough franchises to spread out across the different game genres and really hit a ton of different audiences.

Not to mention the Smash Bros/Mario Kart/Mario Party trio. While its important to Nintendo to continue to be creative or innovative or whatever, they also need to retain the classic feel, which is more in the case of Kart and Party. There needs to be some kind of classic controller to use for these games too. Just modify the Wavebird to work with the same signal that the tablet controller uses. I don't want to lose the 4 friends on a couch just playing thing. People still use N64's just for old school Party/Kart/Smash, there's no reason Nintendo shouldn't be able to drag most of these people to the new console.

I just want Wii U to realize its potential. :/

edit: It's also intriguing how Wii U could finally bring MMO and RTS games into the console space. That, I think is the potential of the tablet controller, none of this other nonsense I saw at E3 last year like throwing ninja stars.

Taker666

Pretty sure a company that makes haptic feedback technology is sharing a booth with Nintendo or has one near Nintendo during E3 or something along those lines. I can't remember specifically. I'm sure there's someone here who has a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

Could just be coincidence, though.

It was mentioned on this thread that a haptic company had products listed for Wii U on the E3 website...

...but after a deeper look it turned out they had product listed for pretty much every bit of gaming hardware available....so it wasn't anything exclusively made for Nintendo or Wii U.

Antioch

edit: It's also intriguing how Wii U could finally bring MMO and RTS games into the console space. That, I think is the potential of the tablet controller, none of this other nonsense I saw at E3 last year like throwing ninja stars.

I agree. I hope we can see some stuff like Dawn of War III, the Total War games and other more PC centric games on the console. The one thing that makes me optimistic of seeing this happen is Ghost Recon Online coming to Wii U but not the other home consoles.

Terrell

I'm sure this kind of thing has been said already, but just throwing in my opinion:

I think Wii U (hopefully with a cool rename but let's not get ahead of ourselves) has huge, huge potential. If they bring out their full first party lineup to support it, it'll do great. We already know Pikmin 3 is coming, and obviously Mario and Zelda, Metroid and Donkey Kong etc, but it's how they handle the other franchises that interests me. F-Zero, Kid Icarus (hopefully KI stays alive), maybe revivals of Ice Climbers or Earthbound/Mother, etc. They have enough franchises to spread out across the different game genres and really hit a ton of different audiences.

Not to mention the Smash Bros/Mario Kart/Mario Party trio. While its important to Nintendo to continue to be creative or innovative or whatever, they also need to retain the classic feel, which is more in the case of Kart and Party. There needs to be some kind of classic controller to use for these games too. Just modify the Wavebird to work with the same signal that the tablet controller uses. I don't want to lose the 4 friends on a couch just playing thing. People still use N64's just for old school Party/Kart/Smash, there's no reason Nintendo shouldn't be able to drag most of these people to the new console.

I just want Wii U to realize its potential. :/

It's funny that you bring up Mario Party... with the success of Wii Party, you'd think that the success of Nintendo party games wasn't tied to a specific franchise.... so anyone think that Nd Cube will make a Nintendo Party and incorporate every mascot and franchise?

Antioch

It's funny that you bring up Mario Party... with the success of Wii Party, you'd think that the success of Nintendo party games wasn't tied to a specific franchise.... so anyone think that Nd Cube will make a Nintendo Party and incorporate every mascot and franchise?

I'd be OK with that, don't think it'll happen though, just like Nintendo Kart won't happen.

EDIT: Do you guys think it's reasonable to expect Shinji Mikami's new survival horror 'Zwei' on Wii U?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I'm of the usually unpopular opinion that practically all of the 'Mario' branded offshoot games could adopt the Smash Bros. approach and include a wider cast of Nintendo IPs. Even Mario Kart is something I'd live to see become 'Nintendo Kart', remixing characters, items and locations from Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero and more into the overall formula.

Some of the existing charm might be lost, especially for Mario Kart, but I do like the idea.

Terrell

I'm of the usually unpopular opinion that practically all of the 'Mario' branded offshoot games could adopt the Smash Bros. approach and include a wider cast of Nintendo IPs. Even Mario Kart is something I'd live to see become 'Nintendo Kart', remixing characters, items and locations from Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero and more into the overall formula.

Some of the existing charm might be lost, especially for Mario Kart, but I do like the idea.

Yeah, Kart is one of those strange cases where it doesn't lend itself to the concept of non-Mario characters very well. But a party game? Yeah, that'd be easy enough.

Margalis

Banned
That's kind of the idea behind standards.

Why should different games share "standard" controls? If you go with standard controls it means you are making a "standard" game almost by definition.

The thing about modern FPS games is that 90% of their design is "standard", from the controls, to the multiplayer, to weapon limits and regenerating health and red crap on the screen when you get hit. There is level design and weapon design but overall game design (AKA system design) is almost non-existent.

It's fine to have loose conventions - in SNES games jump is usually on the same button. But being a slave to convention is a little sad. By adopting a standard control scheme you are immediately ruling out a huge swaths of design space.

klier

Honestly, there's no real hard evidence in any direction. Earlier, we were discussing possibilities for "the final secret(s)" of the Wii U and haptics was one of them. There are pros and cons for the technology, and while I'd be delighted if Nintendo did implement this kind of feature, I'd be shocked as well.

Still, it's a possibility that sticks in the back of my mind..

No, it's not a possibility. It's fanboy wishful thinking. The final secret of the Wii U controller is the NFC.

Log4Girlz

Huh? Would be more charming.

klier

Was it really? I thought I fist saw it in that Rayman vid....

Well, then never mind me, maybe there is a secret left after all.....built in Vitality Sensor ;)

jonno394

I remember back after smash bros came out on the n64 my mate literally filled up two notebooks with ideas for "nintendo racing megamix" with titles, levels, weapons etc from all over the nintendo universe. It was immense stuff and something I would love to see realised.

HylianTom

Banned
The final secret of the Wii U controller is there is a part on the bottom that's the Vitality Sensor.

Beaten by an edit, you guys play dirty.
Haha..
I've heard a neat variation of that theory where the sensor is built-into the grip/contour of tne controller. But that wouldn't quite jive with Nintendo's previously-stated goal of such a feature working with 99% of the population.

HylianTom

Banned
It was in general, not towards you. I don't even know who you are.
Sorry.. I was being a bit too snarky perhaps.. :p
But I am interested in your reasoning for being so absolutely sure about this feature not being a possibility. Like I said, I'd be shocked if it's included..

The final secret? Muffin button.
Wait.. is that what I think it would be?
(edit: nevermind -I googled. Wow! But.. do they have to be blueberry?)

Alrix

I think it depends. Not all the franchises lend themselves well to Kart/Party. Maybe for stages or even a few items, but characters? I dunno. Toon Link or Olimar might be okay in Mario Kart. I just feel like at this point the "Mario only" thing is too established and I kinda like it that way. Also one or two here or there would be fine, but I don't want the Kart or Party rosters to resemble the Smash Bros one. Samus or Link wouldn't really fit in either game.

Now, if Captain Falcon, or like a Toon Falcon character was a secret character in a Mario Kart game? I'd love it. Honestly the MK7 roster was very boring to me.

I just want the Wii U to be able to get the old N64 feel with Mario Kart and Mario Party. That's not gonna happen with tablet controllers and shaking the controller. Even if there's just a "retro mode", I WANT to be able to have 4 basic controllers for me and my buddies and fire up a new Kart/Party game that's still got the old feel to it. I feel like Nintendo's need to "innovate" has gotten in the way of this recently.

Also don't release a thousand Mario Party games on the Wii U. I hope Nintendo takes their time, works on one really solid one, and lets it ride throughout the consoles life. DLC is perfect for that game.

Maybe the "gamer card" truly is a card? Something that you can slide into your wallet?

A quick google search showed that thin pedometers do exist, such as the image below:

You'd have to be a pretty hardcore gamer to put a clip on Nintendo unit when you're walking around. But a card you can stuff in your wallet by your drivers license and credit cards? Maybe.

EDIT: The example above apparently retails for $35, so assuming it's about $20 to produce, it's not that unreasonable.
Seems like you'd have to have some really tiny wireless equipment and be replacing a very thin battery all the time.
smiles and cries said:
major JRPG for WiiU is still a few years away right?
It's within the realm of possibility that its first year will see at least MMO versions of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.
BGBW said:
Haven't Nintendo already used HD assets for their Wii games?
Well, there's really no such thing as "HD assets". There are games that look a lot better rendered at higher resolutions, but that goes to some extent for pretty much any polygonal game.
Yes, this too. The nunchuck has proper grip, but not the 3DS, and it's horrible. This too looks horrible. No grip! NO GRIP!
2yelan.jpg
2a2wl4m.jpg

DAMMIT, Nintendo is so stupid sometimes it's unbelievable.
I've now got a pretty decent idea why they made the Wii U pad "gripless". I recently got the Mario Kart wheel attachment for 3DS, which is about the best portable grip attachment I've used yet (though it still could be better). However, while it's great for games where both hands are holding the unit, it makes "one hand + stylus" games worse, as it then lacks a flat back to sit on the hand.

I WANT to be able to have 4 basic controllers for me and my buddies and fire up a new Kart/Party game that's still got the old feel to it. I feel like Nintendo's need to "innovate" has gotten in the way of this recently.

So true. Most of my friends (from non-gamers to moderate gamers like me) enjoy Mario Kart, and even though we have the Wii version available we always find ourselves breaking out GCN controllers and booting up MK64 on the VC. I love the Wii version, but there's something about N64 games that just really encourage couch multiplayer. The Wii game we couch multiplay the most is Mario Galaxy, passing the controller around when you die. And that's pretty much it.

Sadist

Clicky sticks can go to hell for all I care. I've ruined 4 360 pads with them. The sticks just lose all precision and become flimsy like all hell. Same goes for the DS3.
Finally, some sense.

I recently started paying attention to how many players "prefer" clickable sticks. I just don't understand it. Some would joke about the possibility that I push the sticks to hard but that's not it. The thing is, the way I see it clicky sticks wear themselves out in a very short time. Clicky sticks just plain suck.

Oppo

Finally, some sense.

I recently started paying attention to how many players "prefer" clickable sticks. I just don't understand it. Some would joke about the possibility that I push the sticks to hard but that's not it. The thing is, the way I see it clicky sticks wear themselves out in a very short time. Clicky sticks just plain suck.

See this is really strange to read, to me. I've never once had a busted stick across 4-5 dual shocks and another 3 360 pads. Not even one.

monome

For the design of the pad I d like bigger buttons, rather than 3ds sized ones.

Mario3dland would be better if running was mapped to a clickable pad.

The rumor of a secret is a year old, when NFC was not announced.
Haptic feedback when there is no multitouch, no HD and no OLED, really so I can virtually pet mu dog or feel Mario s stache?

Mithos

Edit: Oh, and I keep forgetting about the lack of L3/R3 function. Devs will not like that.

The use of L3/R3 is stupid the way it is today, I don't want to have run/crouch/climb etc on the same place as my move/camera control EVER.

This use of the L3/R3 functions bother me a lot and is what gets me to hate certain games, if not being able to move the run/crouch/climb function away from L3/R3.

Antioch

I just watched this video demonstrating haptic feedback on touchscreens, and I actually remember a rumor from before last E3 which said that Cafe would have a controller with which you could feel surfaces in game worlds. At the time I thought it sounded ridiculous and had no idea this technology existed. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Wii U had this feature.

bomma_man

So true. Most of my friends (from non-gamers to moderate gamers like me) enjoy Mario Kart, and even though we have the Wii version available we always find ourselves breaking out GCN controllers and booting up MK64 on the VC. I love the Wii version, but there's something about N64 games that just really encourage couch multiplayer. The Wii game we couch multiplay the most is Mario Galaxy, passing the controller around when you die. And that's pretty much it.

Nostalgia + MK Wii's shitty battle mode. MK64 still has the best battle mode, but the track design is probably the worst in retrospect. So many long, meandering, boring tracks.

See this is really strange to read, to me. I've never once had a busted stick across 4-5 dual shocks and another 3 360 pads. Not even one.

I've burned through 4 360 analogsticks allready because this shitty stick click ruined the analogs on it. It's especially crappy when games use it for vital functions like sprinting or scope/melee moves. Microsofts horrible build quality is one culprit, but even my friends DS3 sticks have suffered quite a bit and are nowhere near as accurate as they used to be.

It's also allways the worst control option when it comes to precision as the clicking delays further aiming and I tend to click the sticks out of mistake quite often. I use a bit more force with my hands than average persons might, but not ridiculously more.

It's no wonder that many of the 3rd party Controllers actually put the stick buttons on the bottom side of the controller, so you can aim precisely and preserve the accuracy and tension of the analog stick longer.

Clickable Sticks are not worth the trouble to implement. Too often they are used as a crutch for a convoluted control design.

The argument is completely void when we're talking about the WiiU pad though. Instead of compromising the circlepads accuracy and longevity with it, you can simply put onscreen buttons right next to the stick.
You practically won't lose more time and accuracy as opposed to clicking a stick.

Nostalgia + MK Wii's shitty battle mode. MK64 still has the best battle mode, but the track design is probably the worst in retrospect. So many long, meandering, boring tracks.

True, MK64 was horrible in terms of racing, but by far the best in terms of Battle Mode. Since the N64 I've started to do more racing in MK, and less and less Battle Mode because they continuosly ruined it more and more, while the racing and Track Design got so much better.

monome

It most certainly would not.
cramped spaces 3dland gaming says switching from running to jumping in the subway sucks.
I understand running with buttom is more precise but I still beleive 3dland design being friendlier than 2d, allowing for easy and often running would have been better.
Might get used to it but I felt 3dland was slow

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
We'll find out if Nintendo is holding something else from being shown. If the Rayman video is any indication, either there isn't any other feature or they displayed only what they know. Considering it was meant for internal use only I would assume if they knew more they would have shown it in the video.

Yep, i warned since thread 2 that third-parties aren't aware of another major "physical" feature, present in the DRC or on the system that we don't already known.

Now, and as said in this topic or the rayman one: third-party developers still don't have the "updated" DRC, that we'll be able to see come E3. Consider this a fact. Maybe there's something kept hidden from them on it, but i doubt it would be groundbreaking because it would mean a very late implementation of the new function in their game, or even an absence of it in all third-parties launch titles.

The surprises left will surely come through the software layer (OS, Online, connectivity, etc.) of the system.

Yep, i warned since thread 2 that third-parties aren't aware of another major "physical" feature, present in the DRC or on the system that we don't already known.

Now, and as said in this topic or the rayman one: third-party developers still don't have the "updated" DRC, that we'll be able to see come E3. Consider this a fact. Maybe there's something kept hidden from them on it, but i doubt it would be groundbreaking because it would mean a very late implementation of the new function in their game, or even an absence of it in all third-parties launch titles.

The surprises left will surely come through the software layer (OS, Online, connectivity, etc.) of the system.

do 3rd parties (and you ;)) know what the changes will be?
from what you know, is it something irrelevant (such as the power button placed somewhere else) or more significant (bigger buttons / changed form factor)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom