• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen PS4/XB1 |OT| They're master ports all, you can't go wrong

Does this game any kind of fast travel system?

Yes, but it takes a while to actually start using it. You get "crystals" that you can place anywhere on the map to warp to, but you only get a few per playthrough. They carry over in future games though so eventually you just place them all over and warp to your heart's content.

It's actually a good system as it forces you to learn the landscape before just warping everywhere ala Skyrim or some shit.

Crayon

I'll need to find time to play this game again. A flawed gem that deserves a full-effort sequel. Hopefully the world will be ready for it this time around.

Espada

Mystic Knight or Sorcerer?

Leading towards the former because I like having a sword, but pure magic users sound like a blast.

Either one works, I loved using Abyssal Anguish on my mace and just tearing into enemies with Mystic Knight. Also, Great Cannon = Glorious.

Does this game any kind of fast travel system?

You can't fast travel to a location unless you put down a portcrystal in a location of your choosing. Then you just use the stone in your inventory to teleport to that portcrystal. That's how you fast travel in this game.

Ishmae1

Yes. You can place port crystals wherever you want (outside). Then use ferrystones to travel to them. I think you get 5 portcrystals in your first playthrough?

This version gives you an unlimited use ferrystone once you reach Gransis (yay!)

edit: Still limited in number of portcrystals, but you can teleport back to town and such for free now

The map is so good in how you actually have to prep before going somewhere. Items/weapons/etc. A trek into a new area is an actual journey.

The map is so good in how you actually have to prep before going somewhere. Items/weapons/etc. A trek into a new area is an actual journey.

Especially how the Map is covered by mist unless you go there.

Mystic Knight or Sorcerer?

Leading towards the former because I like having a sword, but pure magic users sound like a blast.

You can change Vocations all the time (in fact it's recommended)
You will get to play with all classes,
the more classes you unlock the more powerful each vocation grows since some augments learned from a Mystic Knight can be ported to a Sorcerer and vise versa.

A great friggin game that will surprise you on how good it is. Once you get through the initial stuff of any RPG, you'll find great quests. Great dungeons... ahh.. I can't wait!

And I cant wait for my no weapons run :D
:D

Maligna

Banned

One of my favorite things about it.

I love just walking somewhere with my posse. Handily beating enemies that used to pose a threat.

Zeta Oni

Forgot to mention this in the OP but I think its important to note:

If you only follow the mainline quests, there are several areas, encounters, cut scenes, boss fights, and a bunch of other stuff you will never see.

While I imagine that sounds obvious when you think about it, I myself did not realize the extent of what I had missed out on until I sat down and went for all the achievements, which has you do pretty much everything in the game.

For example, I didn't even know
Metal Golems
were in the game until my 3rd playthrough. Never stepped a foot into
lower Witchwood
or the ran into them in
The Everfall

Forgot to mention this in the OP but I think its important to note:

If you only follow the mainline quests, there are several areas, encounters, cut scenes, boss fights, and a bunch of other stuff you will never see.

While I imagine that sounds obvious when you think about it, I myself did not realize the extent of what I had missed out on until I sat down and went for all the achievements, which has you do pretty much everything in the game.

For example, I didn't even know
Metal Golems
were in the game until my 3rd playthrough. Never stepped a foot into
lower Witchwood
or the ran into them in
The Everfall

And some stuff is extremely time-sensitive. There were definitely a couple quests I missed/failed without knowing simply because I waited too long meeting/talking to certain NPCs. And the game often won't even prompt you with a failure. The quest simply will not activate on screen or in the journal.

It definitely pays off to be diligent, explore, and talk to everyone multiple times.

And some stuff is extremely time-sensitive. There were definitely a couple quests I missed/failed without knowing simply because I waited too long meeting/talking to certain NPCs. And the game often won't even prompt you with a failure. The quest simply will not activate on screen or in the journal.

It definitely pays off to be diligent, explore, and talk to everyone multiple times.

Especially because some of the story sections are very well written. Definitely above average writing.

blackjaw

I'd personally start as a fighter for the boost in hp.

When you get to make your main pawn make sure it's one that compliments your play style. If you play as a fighter or close range style then a mage pawn will be better.

Also it sounds silly but making your pawn as "attractive" (*see slutty) as possible will get more people using them so more rewards.

Going out at night is a dangerous afair but can be rewarding. Unlike most games the day/night cycle in DD actually changes the game completely.

A bit of an item spoiler so dunno if you want to read this....
not far into the game you get a quest who's reward is a gold idol. You can choose to keep it for a discount in stores or give it to a shop keeper to unlock high end gear... don't be too hasty though. There's a place in grand soren where you can create a 'copy' for some coin. Do this first and give the real one to a shop keeper and keep the fake. You'll get access to the gear AND the store discount

Very helpful, thanks!

Kensuke

Zeta Oni

Always hated when that happened.

Especially because some of the story sections are very well written. Definitely above average writing.

And the language! The localization team did some incredible work using old nouns and verbs. I remember actually having to google a couple words as their usage is basically non-existent in modern times.

Always hated when that happened.

Same. It's the only game besides Dark Souls where I've had to go wiki-diving on a couple occasions.

Question about pre-ordering digitally on psn: can I pre-load the game? It says you can "play" it on the 3rd at 12am Eastern time in north america, but does that just mean starting the download?

I never finished the original on Xbox for some reason but I remember enjoying my time with it. Downloading it on the PS4 Pro now, can't wait to get stuck in.

So I'm sure we need to make sure we don't spoil anything, but wanted to say there's a character that goes missing fairly early in the game. If you want that character to stick around, you need to complete that quest as soon as you can.

Suffice it to say, once you get to Gransys (the city) you'll have an opportunity to move on with the main storyline. Once you do, this particular side quest and character will be unavailable for the rest of the game
until new game+

On top of that, completing this side quest is a prerequisite for activating a quest where you encounter a particular character and their story that many players found pretty cool. So again, this game has quests that can fail and can't be restarted for the duration of that playthrough.

Question about pre-ordering digitally on psn: can I pre-load the game? It says you can "play" it on the 3rd at 12am Eastern time in north america, but does that just mean starting the download?

Yes, you can pre-load, and you can do so right now. 12AM EST is when the game becomes available to play.

the more classes you unlock the more powerful each vocation grows since some augments learned from a Mystic Knight can be ported to a Sorcerer and vise versa.

Man, I'm terrible at stuff like that😆. But cheers man!

I can't wait to get back into this world!

$30 disc version with enhancements is a dream come true.

Anung

Un Rama
Yes, but it takes a while to actually start using it. You get "crystals" that you can place anywhere on the map to warp to, but you only get a few per playthrough. They carry over in future games though so eventually you just place them all over and warp to your heart's content.

It's actually a good system as it forces you to learn the landscape before just warping everywhere ala Skyrim or some shit.

That's cool. I don't mind exploration but constant moving between these two or three areas and not being able to run infinitely is annoying. Slow walk from town to town and back.

Going into this for the first time tonight - quick question for the vets out there

Is playing a pure sorcerer viable? I took a quick glace at some build/class info but it is incredibly overwhelming. Am I going to be handicapping myself if I go 1-9 Mage, 10-200 Sorcerer? I won't lie - the brief amount of reading I did into the way builds work in this game left me completely confused... I get the sense that leveling as only one type of character seems frowned upon almost and I don't really get how end game classes work.

I'm happy to discover that in due course but I'd hate to put a ton of hours in before I realize how things work and find that I want/need to start over because I don't like what I've invested in.

Awesome OT.

Unfortunately, didn't found it in stores today and tomorrow is holiday in Germany so I get it on Wednesday. Hope I find into this game, every time I read about it it sounds so complex and deep.

jiggle

Going into this for the first time tonight - quick question for the vets out there

Is playing a pure sorcerer viable? I took a quick glace at some build/class info but it is incredibly overwhelming. Am I going to be handicapping myself if I go 1-9 Mage, 10-200 Sorcerer? I won't lie - the brief amount of reading I did into the way builds work in this game left me completely confused... I get the sense that leveling as only one type of character seems frowned upon almost and I don't really get how end game classes work.

I'm happy to discover that in due course but I'd hate to put a ton of hours in before I realize how things work and find that I want/need to start over because I don't like what I've invested in.
Yes
You can destroy pretty much anything and everything easily with that
Except for a couple of monsters immune to magic
But they're no big deal

Sorcerer can actually make the game too easy

got as far as the character creation part. graphically, some of it looks pretty nice. but some of it looks pretty lazy/bad. semi-disappointed :) ...

Zeta Oni

Well if this is your first time playing you really don't have to pay attention to most of that outside of the basic gist of how leveling works.

I myself didn't know about any of the leveling system until repeated playthroughs, so the game is more than beatable without having to focus on your stat growth.

That said, if you want to be safe than just look at what your preferred classes lowest area of stat growth is (in the case of Sorcerer that would be Low Physical Defense, Low Health and Low Stamina growth), and play as a class that specializes in those areas (Warrior) for a few levels in order to counter that weakness.

Murkas

Will be getting it this week, just finishing off some end game FF9 PS4 stuff.

I only completed vanilla DD (got that uncomfortable ending where my character ended up with the little girl, think it's because I did some side quest of hers to get a statue that reduces store prices I think? It's been years) so can't wait to see the new shit they put in Dark Arisen.

Honestly can't remember what vocation I finished vanilla with, I think Warrior/Magick Knight? I'm feeling Magick Archer this time as I heard that is really fun.

I spent more time I'm comfortable admitting throwing civilians off roofs in Gran Soren back when I first played this...

pre-loading now! Should be done around midnight-ish.

Oh my god I can't wait to get back to the character creation.

That's cool. I don't mind exploration but constant moving between these two or three areas and not being able to run infinitely is annoying. Slow walk from town to town and back.

There probably will be times your entire party is dead, just you, next to death with no healing, slowly trodding back to the main city, middle of the night, praying some random skeleton or ghost doesn't gank you.

Oh shit this is out tomorrow?

Need to fire up my PS3 version to see how my character was built, can't remember how I had it (just remember it was twin sword and bow) but I know it was fun as hell. If new game++ is any indication.

Assuming pawns made on older consoles aren't usable? Hope so, as badass a mage as my pawn was, she was based on my now-ex so...

Nameless

Either one works, I loved using Abyssal Anguish on my mace and just tearing into enemies with Mystic Knight. Also, Great Cannon = Glorious.

You can't fast travel to a location unless you put down a portcrystal in a location of your choosing. Then you just use the stone in your inventory to teleport to that portcrystal. That's how you fast travel in this game.

Had far more fun with Mystic Knight. So many great abilities and the ease of just hacking easy foes down too with the class.

Sorcerer
Keels monster gewd
Stats growth are good enough to hobby play mystic Knight iirc

Thanks for the responses. Good to know I can experiment with various classes. I'll go with whatever 'feels right' for the character I create.

Magic Archers sound insane, but honestly after so much time with BOTW and Horizon I don't need to see another bow & arrow until well into 2018.

Guess there's no pawn sharing between this and the PC versions?

Its better this way or you'd end up with OP pawns that have been stat edited. I played the pc version but I think I'm gonna buy it again on ps4 so I can play with other people's pawns and not worry about them being OP.

Top Bottom