• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari U.S. Files For Bankruptcy

Iacobellis

And... Which Atari is this?

iNa0bwnwYufyt.png

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Am I the only one hoping that WB Games buys out Atari's back catalog for the irony of it, since Time Warner owned Atari back in the day?

They kept the Atari Games titles, from Gauntlet onwards, after offloading the home computer business to the Tramiel (sp?) people, sold the Atari Games catalog to Midway in the mid-'90s, then reacquired that when they bought out Midway in 2009, IIRC.

The problem is, what would WB Games do with the Atari back catalog? They have done virtually nothing with the Midway back catalog outside of Mortal Kombat and a half hearted Spyhunter release.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The problem is, what would WB Games do with the Atari back catalog? They have done virtually nothing with the Midway back catalog outside of Mortal Kombat and a half hearted Spyhunter release.

They also did the Midway Arcade Origins compilation, and that's good enough for me.

I do hope for more retro releases...

At first I was likw "ATLUS?! NOOOOOO!" but when I read it correctly I was like "Pheew"

Anyway, I am quite surprised they're still alive, thought Star Trek Online would've killed them.

Magpul

Banned
Shame that most people here only expressed discontent when it was read as Atlus.

People losing their livelihoods should never be written off as "at least it wasn't company X". Pathetic.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Better luck next bankruptcy.

JollyWolf

Shame that most people here only expressed discontent when it was read as Atlus.

People losing their livelihoods should never be written off as "at least it wasn't company X".

There are too many people losing jobs in this world for me to feel sorry for a bunch of faceless people. I wish them the best of luck, but I am not going to lie and say I care that much. Most people in this thread only as far as it will affect them personally. If the company makes games that a lot of people like, then they will show discontent at the possibility of never again being able to play them again, this is not the case with Atari.

Cheerilee

And... Which Atari is this?

Atari Inc (1972-1984) is the "original" Atari. Nolan Bushnell founded it, and then he sold it to Warner, and then Warner milked the Atari 2600 until the industry crashed.

Warner broke Atari in two and sold the console division (as well as the main "Atari" name) to the Tramiel Family, but Warner kept the arcade division, which they renamed "Atari Games" because they considered what they kept to be a minority spinoff.

Atari Corporation (1984-1996) was the Tramiel-owned company that made the Jaguar and Lynx.

Atari Games (1984-2003) was the arcade division, but they made NES games under the name "Tengen" (and got sued by Nintendo) because they weren't allowed to use the "Atari" name in the console world. Time-Warner eventually sold this arcade division to Williams/Midway. They stopped using the "Atari Games" name, preferring Midway, and Warner Bros got it all back when they bought Williams/Midway.

After Atari Corporation (Tramiel family, makes of the Jaguar) went out of business, Hasbro bought it, and they later sold it to the French company Infogrames, who changed their name to Atari.

The "Atari USA" in this story is the US subsidiary of the French company. The American division of this company is apparently profitable and holding up their failing French parent, so the successful American division wants to declare bankruptcy (WTF?) in order to break away and get out from under their failing parent. I'm not sure how that works, and I have no idea what that means to the future of the Atari name (which is owned by the failing parent).

Didn't they publish Witcher 2? That would explain why CDPR are looking for publishers for Witcher 3. Other than Witcher 2, by the way, I don't think I've ever bought an Atari game. They have horrible games so no wonder they got bankrupt.

Eusis

don't they have control over baldur's gate, planescape, fallout?
I think those first two just follow whoever has the D&D license, while Fallout went from Interplay to Bethesda. Closest that could've happened is Atari publishing a compilation at retail, but that's it.

Didn't they publish Witcher 2? That would explain why CDPR are looking for publishers for Witcher 3. Other than Witcher 2, by the way, I don't think I've ever bought an Atari game. They have horrible games so no wonder they got bankrupt.

They published the PC version in the US, yes.

So, is this the Infogrames Atari? If so, not really surprising considering their output in recent years.

I swear, Atari is the most cursed named in the industry...

Atari Inc (1972-1984) is the "original" Atari. Nolan Bushnell founded it, and then he sold it to Warner, and then Warner milked the Atari 2600 until the industry crashed.

Warner broke Atari in two and sold the console division (as well as the main "Atari" name) to the Tramiel Family, but Warner kept the arcade division, which they renamed "Atari Games" because they considered what they kept to be a minority spinoff.

Atari Corporation (1984-1996) was the Tramiel-owned company that made the Jaguar and Lynx.

Atari Games (1984-2003) was the arcade division, but they made NES games under the name "Tengen" (and got sued by Nintendo) because they weren't allowed to use the "Atari" name in the console world. Time-Warner eventually sold this arcade division to Williams/Midway. They stopped using the "Atari Games" name, preferring Midway, and Warner Bros got it all back when they bought Williams/Midway.

After Atari Corporation (Tramiel family, makes of the Jaguar) went out of business, Hasbro bought it, and they later sold it to the French company Infogrames, who changed their name to Atari.

The "Atari USA" in this story is the US subsidiary of the French company. The American division of this company is apparently profitable and holding up their failing French parent, so the successful American division wants to declare bankruptcy (WTF?) in order to break away and get out from under their failing parent. I'm not sure how that works, and I have no idea what that means to the future of the Atari name (which is owned by the failing parent).

Jesus Christ.

Takao

Banned
RIP Infogrames / nu Atari

Without you we wouldn't have Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku, Legacy of Goku 2, and Buu's Fury. However, because of you we have such "classics" like Taiketsu, Sagas, and Transformation.

I always knew you were d00med once you let Scamco get the Dragon Ball license. Especially since Scamco has treated said license like dirt since getting it.

Game Guru

Jesus Christ.

You think that's bad... Just look at the history of Atari Games... It was owned by Warner Bros., who sold it to Namco, who sold it to Warner Bros., who sold it to Midway, who was bought by Warner Bros.

If Atari Inc. gets bought up by Warner Bros., Atari will be complete once more and under their second owner!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Actually the Atari name is owned by Atari Interactive, which is the former Hasbro Interactive. Also the current Atari USA is the former GT Interactive, which always had some Independence from Infogrames until the full buyout in 2008.

Top Bottom