• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Small new Mass Effect: Andromeda details

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RE: scale of the galaxy.

According to the survey leak the game takes place in the Helius Cluster of the Andromeda Galaxy. So with manual flying you're likely limited to an open area of the galaxy instead of select locations throughout the entire thing like the previous games.

Likewise. I dreaded a multispecies option announcement almost as much as I dreaded a prequel announcement. Blissfully, neither has come to pass. I'm not without empathy for all those who wanted this, but it does sting whenever I read posts about how boring humans are. We're a beautifully diverse people, us humans, capable of a personality for every roleplaying desire. We can be militaristic like turians, sensual like asari, proud like krogan, smart like salarians. We can lose everything and fight to get it back, like quarians. Hell, some of us are drones like geth. :p

This focus on us, our place in hypothetical space, our beautiful human struggles to find ourselves and to protect what we cherish in the wake of a universe far bigger than we imagined -- that's what I love most about space opera, and that's what I love most about Mass Effect. It's a human adventure through and through.

The counterpoint of course is that those same ideas can be conveyed in any other race, if I'm so hellbent on claiming we have a little bit of all those other races in us anyway. True enough, but to me it just wouldn't be the same. And by shelving this, by shelving the blatantly humanistic undertones, Mass Effect would not be the same. I'd like it, maybe even love it, but this element is vital to my full appreciation.

Humans aren't boring. No more so than any other species in this fictional galaxy is interesting. Because all those species were written with human literary ideas in the minds of their authors. Because that's how Mass Effect is, and Star Trek is, and Babylon 5 is. That's how it works. We're awesome.

I wish there were some middleground. Maybe ME5 comes along and we get multiple species options and I'm wrong and I love it and I bless everyone for demanding it. Who knows.

You're not wrong and this is a great post, but the writing frequently hinders us as players from expressing the emotions and characteristics of which you write -- especially in a BioWare title.

If each entry was beautifully written and allowed me to explore the range of sentient emotion, I'd be much happier and I'd imagine other players would also. Distilling each dialogue option to Paragon, Neutral, and Renegade or Kind, Sarcastic, Forceful limits our ability to roleplay and enjoy these games.

Ralemont

not me
You're not wrong and this is a great post, but the writing frequently hinders us as players from expressing the emotions and characteristics of which you write -- especially in a BioWare title.

If each entry was beautifully written and allowed me to explore the range of sentient emotion, I'd be much happier and I'd imagine other players would also. Distilling each dialogue option to Paragon, Neutral, and Renegade or Kind, Sarcastic, Forceful limits our ability to roleplay and enjoy these games.

Well, the leak did mention they're expanding the dialogue system. I'm also hoping for more than 3 options per wheel.

Funny how the wheel originated with Mass Effect, but then the Dragon Age team picked it up and ate the ME team's lunch with it. Inquisition constantly had like 5-6 options per wheel and even a unique, re-occurring wheel just for choosing an emotion.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RE: scale of the galaxy.

According to the survey leak the game takes place in the Helius Cluster of the Andromeda Galaxy. So with manual flying you're likely limited to an open area of the galaxy instead of select locations throughout the entire thing like the previous games.

Bleh.

danm999

Excited by the details except for Cerberus. We've come to a brand new galaxy bursting with new wonders and life. Fighting the same humans again for the fourth time running is zzzz

Well, the leak did mention they're expanding the dialogue system. I'm also hoping for more than 3 options per wheel.

Funny how the wheel originated with Mass Effect, but then the Dragon Age team picked it up and ate the ME team's lunch with it. Inquisition constantly had like 5-6 options per wheel and even a unique, re-occurring wheel just for choosing an emotion.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is a step forward and I hope the expanded wheel system works well, but I'll proceed with caution.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
?? For all we know that small slice of Andromeda could be bigger than the whole milky way in the original trilogy.

I suppose it's something that isn't really comparable. The past three games, while "set in the Milky Way", had exploration presented more as aesthetic than actually physical and interactive. Exploring the Milky Way consisted of clicking on glowing icons on a map. The galaxy had no real scalable interactive presence, only the planets did. Which isn't to say it was bad, because it still delivered a great feeling of galactic system hopping.

Going by the leaked info for Andromeda it's going in a different direction, wherein the space between systems is fully 3D and playable. And we visit more planets too, the leaked survey indicating something like 100+ planets explorable.

They seem to be going for something more like Elite and No Man's Sky over the old style of exploration.

SliChillax

I suppose it's something that isn't really comparable. The past three games, while "set in the Milky Way", had exploration presented more as aesthetic than actually physical and interactive. Exploring the Milky Way consisted of clicking on glowing icons on a map. The galaxy had no real scalable interactive presence, only the planets did. Which isn't to say it was bad, because it still delivered a great feeling of galactic system hopping.

Going by the leaked info for Andromeda it's going in a different direction, wherein the space between systems is fully 3D and playable. And we visit more planets too, the leaked survey indicating something like 100+ planets explorable.

They seem to be going for something more like Elite and No Man's Sky over the old style of exploration.

And that to me sounds fantastic.

Banned

Hnnnnnng

tumblr_m8me5smPQP1roxoq5o1_500.gif

Binabik15

I want to replay ME1 on PC first.

Does the DS4 work with it? I haven't ever used one on PC. I'm thinking kb+m for the on foot sections and controller for the Mako? I hate driving with kb+m!

So is the new Mass Effect definitely using the Frostbite engine.

If so that sucks as I own an Xbox One and I am not wanting to get a game that is 720p

Bacus

Neo Member
I sincerely hope they focus on story, so as long aas that is the main objective i'd buy the game.

Ty OP for the info

EGOMON

All i care about is the Multiplayer, i hope the they don't change ME3 formula i put like 120+ hrs on the multiplayer alone

EatChildren

Just wanted to post these amazing screenshots of Battlefront by Holy Fridge in the PC shots section. If this is what we can expect for ME:A, I might die.

Battlefront is a game that targets 60fps.
Mass Effect 4 will probably target 30fps.
Take that as you will.

mosdl

Take that as you will.

Also don't expect Battlefront-quality graphics in ME/DA, they've said that the asset creation for Battlefront was quite involved and trying to do that for a big RPG universe would be prohibitively costly.

JeffG

Take that as you will.

and who says they will use photogrammetry for the terrain. Might not be the art look they want. It may look closer to DA:I

I hope they have used the hair from Battlefront though. Its a huge step up from DA:I

prag16

Banned
Sounds mostly good. But doesn't erase my worry that they'll borrow a little TOO much from DA:I.

And this galactic traversal business... don't know about that. We'll have to wait to see how it's implemented.

Just wanted to post these amazing screenshots of Battlefront by Holy Fridge in the PC shots section. If this is what we can expect for ME:A, I might die.

in one hand, battlefront is 60 fps so andromeda could look better,
in the other hand, Bioware gonna bioware, so there is no chance it will look anywhere near this. DAI is a mess

EatChildren

Battlefront is pretty clever. Endor's moon obviously looks incredible, but if you really pay attention you'll notice a lot of very aggressive asset and detail culling. Not that it detracts from how impressive it looks (if anything contributes due to optimisation without breaking the illusion), but it's not a perfectly rich jungle with detail as far as the eye can see. Modern builds of Frostbite 3 in general seem highly optimised for asset quality reduction over distance, more so than Battlefield 4 and Dragon Age: Inquisition, which seemed to be a lot less more lenient on high quality alphas, textures, particles, and so on as far as the eye can see. And that eats performance.

Working for Mass Effect: Andromeda will be the following:
- Targeting 30fps over 60fps
- Even more advanced build of Frostbite 3

Working against it is the following:
- Detail complexity of a single player game over a fairly simple multiplayer game
- Much larger environments
- Original art as opposed to most assets being heavily based on real world props and locations

I fully expect Andromeda to be on par with Battlefront on a technical level, in the sense that I expect Frostbite 3 to be doing everything then as it does now and then some. Wouldn't be surprised if it throws out a few new advancements too. But in the same breath you can't really expect an environment the size of what we're apparently getting in Andromeda to be on par with the asset density and hand crafted detail that you find in Battlefront. Concessions will inevitably be made.

That being said the sky high vistas in Battlefront, evident whenever you're in an aircraft, are fucking incredible. The terrain is gorgeous. If Andromeda can render similarly impressive quality when arriving at planets we're in for a treat.

Likewise. I dreaded a multispecies option announcement almost as much as I dreaded a prequel announcement. Blissfully, neither has come to pass. I'm not without empathy for all those who wanted this, but it does sting whenever I read posts about how boring humans are. We're a beautifully diverse people, us humans, capable of a personality for every roleplaying desire. We can be militaristic like turians, sensual like asari, proud like krogan, smart like salarians. We can lose everything and fight to get it back, like quarians. Hell, some of us are drones like geth. :p

That's exactly what Mass Effect (well, lots of science fiction/ space opera) gets wrong, though. Having entire species be defined by single characteristics rather than being developed, believable species of their own. There's no reason to believe humans should be any more "special" or diverse than any other species other than that writers/ producers/ whoever think that we won't be able to relate to a character unless 1. they're human 2. we frequently make it apparent that humans are special. As much as Mass Effect goes far too much into the "humans are special" angle, we do at least get aliens who are actual characters and not lame stereotypes or their entire race. Wrex gives Kaidan shit in the first game when Kaidan mentions that Wrex "isn't how he expected a krogan to be," and Mass Effect 2 has a krogan scientist. Garrus is a turian and he hates rules and military rigidity.

Painstakingly sorting through 50 copies of the same gun differentiated only by ludicrously incremental stat changes.

Sell all your gun upgrades and unused guns once you start getting level IV drops, buy Spectre weapons as soon as possible. It's nice to have something to work towards in an RPG, which the other games didn't really replicate, but ME1's RPG elements definitely were not that well thought-out.

Top Bottom