• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've fallen into the Daft Punk rabbit hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats, you've gotten into one of the most popular electronic groups of all time.

If you like Daft Punk, check out the rest of the French House scene, starting with Justice (especially Cross) and then go deeper (Mr. Oizo, Danger, Cassius, Bangalter's solo stuff) and be sure to especially look at Daft Punk's DJ sets. If you really like Daft Punk, check out Alive 1997, the Human After All Remixes, their pre-Homework track Drive 1994,, both Guy-Man and Thomas' labels (Crydamoure and Roule, especially Crydamoure which has two label albums), and Random Access Memories Memories, which was a remix album of RAM by Dave Harrington and Nicolas Jaar.

Jtrizzy

I haven't fallen down the hole besides with random access memories and the trig soundtrack. Where should I start?

Alive is good bc it has so many songs. Get that, then pick up the studio versions of the songs on it. They have a lot of good songs though, and there are good ones on the albums that aren't on Alive. Also DJ Hero 1/2...they were big collaborators making those games.

If you're falling down this whole, in addition to the other suggestions in this thread (JUSTICE shoutout), might I also suggest Does It Offend You, Yeah? and their aptly named album You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into. It's upbeat, it has some good hooks, and it's a good beginning to end album.

GhaleonEB

Still only have Random Access Memories, which I love the hell out of, but I've got Homework on my backlog albums for later this year. I like everything I've heard from it.

Lately I've been into The xx, which is generally more mellow (more my speed as I'm an old fart), but their new album is a different tone in parts. I Dare You is a wonderful feel good track from their latest.

Good man, now give the Alive 2007 album a listen. Their absolute best.

Daft_Punk_-_Alive_2007.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fllyJTBsRU

This is incredible.

A lot of the other artists I've heard from various discoveries and this thread range from meh to really good. Only Daft Punk so far has managed to create the throughline that they layer these other crazy sounds onto. Some of the French house and synth I've heard is certainly melodic, but nothing's been as memorable.

I need to keep digging. I'm trying to find stuff that's not just club music but a full song I can buy into (my vocabulary sucks; I'm aiming to say something I'd listen to casually, basically).

cdyhybrid

Every recommendation here has been made in good taste. Nice, GAF.

My picks are Alan Braxe & Chromeo (although that's more funk than electronic?)

Man, if Daft Punk ever do another Alive show, they'll probably be in their 50s, most of the crowd will be past their 40s, and it'll still be damn amazing.

Only because only people that old will be able to afford tickets. I'm pretty convinced they could sell out stadium shows if they have stops in major metropolitan areas.

Homework is still the GOAT Daft Punk album, but any artist would be distinguished if they had a single album on par with any Daft Punk album.

Touch
Sweet touch
You've given me too much to feel

Touch
Sweet touch
You've ALMOST CONVINCED ME IM REAL

I need something more
I need something...more...

10 SECONDS LATER

We're up all night to the sun 😎

Dylan

Love Daft Punk.

Though I put forth that Random Access Memories is one of the most disappointing albums of all time.

Once the charm of Get Lucky wears off you are left with a pretty bland record imho.

Anyway, I'm currently in a Chemical Brothers rabbit hole and I think they are leagues better, pound for pound!

But yes both amazing bands when all said and done.

Love Daft Punk.

Though I put forth that Random Access Memories is one of the most disappointing albums of all time.

Once the charm of Get Lucky wears off you are left with a pretty bland record imho.

Anyway, I'm currently in a Chemical Brothers rabbit hole and I think they are leagues better, pound for pound!

But yes both amazing bands when all said and done.
Fun anecdote, Chemical Brothers was my favorite band in the early 2000s, till I saw Daft Punk live in 2006. The next year (or maybe in 2008), I got to see Chemical Brothers live, and found them to be garbage compared to DP. I still like CB tho.

Manzanas

Neo Member
Check out the band Air. I don't know if its exactly what your looking for since they are more chill than upbeat, but I think they have some stuff that might interest you.
As for Daft Punk, I love Discovery and Random Access Memories. I've never been able to get into Homework or Human After All though.

Still only have Random Access Memories, which I love the hell out of, but I've got Homework on my backlog albums for later this year. I like everything I've heard from it.

Lately I've been into The xx, which is generally more mellow (more my speed as I'm an old fart), but their new album is a different tone in parts. I Dare You is a wonderful feel good track from their latest.

This is incredible.

I Dare You and maybe On Hold kinda have the same vibe as RAM but I wouldn't listen to their self titled or Coexist for anything Daft Punkish lol.

In Colour, Jamie XX's solo album is a really good dance album though actually.

Dylan

Fun anecdote, Chemical Brothers was my favorite band in the early 2000s, till I saw Daft Punk live in 2006. The next year (or maybe in 2008), I got to see Chemical Brothers live, and found them to be garbage compared to DP. I still like CB tho.

I've never seen either live, but I can definitely understand how a live performance can make or break your appreciation of a band.

I don't think anyone truly understands Joel Plaskett until you see him live.

On the other hand, I remember driving to Toronto to see The Juliana Theory and on the way back I was pretty comfortable in knowing I was never going to listen to them ever again.

GhaleonEB

I Dare You and maybe On Hold kinda have the same vibe as RAM but I wouldn't listen to their self titled or Coexist for anything Daft Punkish lol.

In Colour, Jamie XX's solo album is a really good dance album though actually.

Yeah, their first two are super chill, was really just suggesting that one track because I was just listening to it. :lol

I'll check out In Colour, I heard good things.

Touch
Sweet touch

Touch
Sweet touch

I had legit chills the first time I heard that and I still do it's just so good

Welcome to the Grid OP please check out Alive 2007 it's just amazing

Also Daft Punks Tron OsT is godlike as well

I love Daft Punk!

Specifically Homework, its the best album. I would love if you guys could recommend some other artists that sound like the Homework album.

Da Funk is the best song ever!

If you especially liked the Discovery sound, you may enjoy the genre called Futurefunk. Heavy disco/funk sampling, bassy and groovy. You'll run into a bunch of lazy edits but there's artists that put together some pretty good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHqeZi5W05A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljTH_Z_yqF8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXOpgPK_sw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnh87zAcAeg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwsdnyi2heI
Is there a particular group or album that is a good entry point for future funk? Most of those clips are dope as fuck but they mostly seem like one offs?

Yeah, their first two are super chill, was really just suggesting that one track because I was just listening to it. :lol

I'll check out In Colour, I heard good things.
No doubt, I Dare You is my favorite off that album.

Alive 2007 is possibly one of the best albums to date.

That ending of Human / Together / One More Time / Music sounds better is fucking mind blowing.

Jamie OD

Touch
Sweet touch

Touch
Sweet touch

I need something more
I need something...more...

10 SECONDS LATER

We're up all night to the sun 😎

That ending hit me like a ton of bricks when I heard it for the first time.

Then there's Contact which felt like I was hurtling a spaceship into a crash landing.

EVO

Play Shatter if you haven't already. Legit one of the best soundtrack/electronica albums of all time.

CRYDAMOURE - WAVES 1 & 2!

One More Time, Da Funk, Get Lucky and Face to Face are some of the best songs ever made. They really got me more into dance music and I'm very thankful for that. Glad you've joined the club, OP!

Check out Justice, Kylie Minogue, Hot Chip, Cut Copy and Stardust (their only song being "Music Sounds Better Than You" which is arguably the greatest French House song ever)

Human after all is so good I never understand the hate.

Homework is a house classic.

Discovery is also amazing.

Alive 2007 is the GOAT

Alive 1997 is pure house bliss.

RAM? Well, the idea was great, execution was severely flawed. Outside of maybe 3-4 tracks that album was one of the biggest disappointments of my life.

Alive 2017? Believe.

Best daft punk songs are Revolution 909, Rollin and Scratchin and Digital Love

I love Daft Punk fans that insult people who don't like RAM. Really adds to the conversation.

Listen, I've been listening to Daft Punk since the 90s, I'm 35 now. RAM didn't speak to me, at all. It was just a very boring and predictable album that felt like it was made to appeal to current trends in music. I was really hyped before release, and especially for some of the featured artists, like Panda Bear. The execution was done very poorly when all was said and done. It had so much potential and just ended up being a Daft Punk and Friends album, rather than a proper Daft Punk album.

RAM? Well, the idea was great, execution was severely flawed. Outside of maybe 3-4 tracks that album was one of the biggest disappointments of my life.

What about RAM needs to change to meet your proper levels of "execution"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom