• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grexeno

I thought about going to a midnight launch but I realized that I wouldn't be able to play all night. I like sleep too much.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm in a line to get the Switch. It's so fucking cringey here
at least you'll get a bunch of street passes?

I thought about going to a midnight launch but I realized that I wouldn't be able to play all night. I like sleep too much.
I can't play it all night on account I'd have to go straight to work right afterwards. Not to mention I don't have any games until Wednesday & I sure ain't spending $50 on Bomberman.

The average wait time when you're at a Switch midnight launch

giphy.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My thing says I'll have it by 10:30 tomorrow morning, no idea about Zelda other than it's out for delivery.

I wouldn't doubt it. I never been to a midnight launch event, but my mom had a story about some kids saying "She was a cool mom" for waiting in line to get my brothers and I a Wii at launch at Wal-Mart with Twilight Princess and Red Steel.

Regiruler

My brother somehow got the one at walmart?

Bah, I want nothing to do with it until it's no longer a step back from the Wii U.

At least he didn't get the grey one.

I'll be in the wait and see camp with regards to the switch, due to being in University, it costing 400 dollars here in Canada and a desire to save money
For Fire Emblem Heroes.

Regiruler

I should mention that my brother is trying to save up for a trip to china and is trying to pawn off a $300 device as a birthday present. His lack of humility hurts me sometimes.

This is my feeling with midnight launches as well. I'd rather wait for Amazon to deliver it in the afternoon (not a Switch, just in general).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Guess I've got a new plan for today:

- get the copy of Zelda Best Buy sent me because despite taking 2 damn days to "prepare" the shipment, wouldn't let me cancel it & it'll cost $6 to mail it back
- take advantage of the fact GS is still doing the "50% extra credit towards Switch games & accessories" deal
- Spend only about $35 out of pocket after all the trade ins along with gift cards from pop bottle returns & coins exchanges
- use the (I'm guessing) $45ish I'll get in credit to get Bomberman because what the hell else there is to get while I wait for my special edition to arrive next Wednesday or Thursday.

Seriously, Amazon, why did my Master Edition have to get cancelled.

Raxus

Finally out of the great plateau in zelda. Game is hard. I still haven't learned all the parry mechanics.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My Switch got here, Zelda arrives at 3, and my first impressions is: "Damn, this is way smaller than I thought it'd be."

Every single part of the console is way smaller than I thought it would be. I thought it would be much bigger.

The joy-cons are a great size though. They're a bit small when turned on their sides without the straps, but once you slide those on the size is perfect.

Just holding every part of this thing in my hands feels great.

On the games front, I'm downloading "I am Setsuna" and will play it while I wait for Zelda.

Grexeno

Things I've done in Zelda:

Cooked apples
Cooked mushrooms
Tried to cook a herb but it exploded. Guess I need a pot.
Climbed a tree and grabbed some bird eggs.
Cooked some Blu Chu Jelly into some explosive jelly.
Drowned.
Found some bows.

Moaradin

Not sure when I'm gonna be able to play Zelda. A new console is too much of an investment right now and I don't want to play it on Wii U.

Oh well, at least there's a lot of other good games coming out soon like Nier and Persona 5.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I traded my copy of Zelda to get Super Bomberman R instead

because it was a spare & I want to play something while I wait for the special edition to arrive but man, imagine the rage with that top part out of context

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
saitama flicks a booger with his finger, thus killing cell by piercing the stupid small part that lets him regenerate & saving us 30 episodes of tedious padding

So in the live action Ghost in the Shell movie they're changing The Major's first name from Motoko to Mira.

Now to be fair, I rarely use her first name when talking about Ghost in the Shell. I just call her The Major.

That said, I think changing her name is pretty lame.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That makes no sense. It's not even an "americanized" name, it's still Japanese.

Why are you going to such lengths to recapture the GitS series from both the films & the tv series, but then decide "NAAAAAAH, CAN'T KEEP HER FIRST NAME, GOTTA CHANGE IT!"

Granted, yes, I usually just call her the Major as well, but I will never understand the logic of "let's change the name despite having no impact on the overall story"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*starts to watch Anime Abandon's review on GitS: Solid State Society*

....ya know, this review brings up a good point. What's the point of making so many changes to the live-action version if a good majority of those who're seeing it probably aren't aware of the original movie, let alone the other stuff like the TV series?

Furthermore, what is achieved on making a film that isn't exactly well-known among the average movie goer, but then decide to change/remove elements for those who are actually aware of the series if the change does nothing to make it more "accessible" to said average viewers?

Yes, you need to adapt/change some things in order to bring in a wider audience because if you try to please fans too much, you get something that just won't bring in the money despite it pleasing the fans (i.e. Scott Pilgrim), but don't do something like change the main character's name when it's not all that hard to pronounce in the first place. Imagine if they decided "YA KNOW, we should call him Jerry Potter. Harry just doesn't seem to work in film, audiences might not be able to comprehend the name!"

Not to mention, from what I understand (& please clear this up if I get something incorrect), part of the plot is the Major being the first person who has a prosthetic body.....which completely changes her character from the rest of the series. Wasn't her motivation in the original film figuring out how she fits in a world when she spent most of her life in prosthetic bodies, an object that anyone can literally buy & then put their soul/brain into? What made her stand out among the others who have her exact body? If she's the first, well.... she kind of has something that makes her stand out: BEING THE FIRST PERSON TO SUCCESSFULLY HAVE A PROSTHETIC BODY. She is a walking scientific breakthrough & the original, not just "another" person who happened to have a specific model.

.....I don't even know why this bugs me so much considering I'm not that big of a fan, maybe it's just because I'm so damn tired of Hollywood screwing up adaptations of Japanese franchises. Hell, it'll probably happen twice this month with Power Rangers getting a "gritty" reboot.

So in the live action Ghost in the Shell movie they're changing The Major's first name from Motoko to Mira.

Now to be fair, I rarely use her first name when talking about Ghost in the Shell. I just call her The Major.

That said, I think changing her name is pretty lame.
Is that supposed to be a joke? Cuz Mira means future. And she's the future of humanity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom