• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

aEMBhAM.png

8xUrBA4.png

L8WK0SC.png

1NwOLJc.png

4qcWKsZ.png

4qtSSJL.png

2snhj6L.png

4ZJbuVx.png

rMnTN5n.png

HHTKGEn.png

B70uRBe.png

cZCXxm7.png

LcCcEdN.png

j0KNfR5.png

7pKhLKp.png

QiiPBxY.png

wYgNlId.png

gi5R7x3.png

ZXh1eEH.png

0BU3ySM.png

7Hdpl7X.png

The Evil Within 2 Story FAQ/Recap Information
Race against time video - with awesome music btw
Encountering "The Guardian" video - creature spoilers
Additional Screenshots, trailers, and artwork

9c7kToU.gif

zEuHdwF.png

BXOTGgz.gif

DBS8CSf.gif

1E74WGd.gif

HiaSziK.png

Busy with no access to GAF most the day but reviews are coming in and Dusk has created a lovely thread here. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1446668

(Text based version for those having reading issues, thanks to Dusk)

Platform: Playstation 4, Xbox One, PC
Release Date: WW: Friday the 13th, October 2017 JP: Oct 19th 2017
Publisher/Developer: Bethesda Software & Tango Gameworks
Genre: Survival Horror, Action, Stealth
Rating: Mature
Price: $59.99

PC Minimum Settings: 
Processor: Intel Core I5-2400 / AMD FX-8320 or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD 7970 3GB or better
STORAGE: 40 GB available space

PC Recommended Settings: 
Processor: Intel Core I7-4770 / AMD Ryzen 5 1600X or better
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB / AMD RX 480 8GB or better
STORAGE: 40 GB available space

The Evil within 2 is a third person survival horror experience and, series created by the survival horror master himself, Shinji Mikami's Tango Gameworks Studio and published by Bethesda.

While Shinji Mikami is not directing the sequel, he still has hands-on with TEW 2 director John Johanas spearheading the team.

Those not familiar with John, he worked on the first game directly (in particular, Chapter 9 - The Cruelest Intentions), and created and directed the two Kidman focused expansions.

It's been 3 years since Sebastian Castellanos endured the nightmare at Beacon Mental Hospital. Having survived a world of horrors only a machine could produce, he has little to return home to.

His wife and daughter both presumed dead before taking on the case and no one believing him about what occurred, Seb has little reason to live. Suddenly Juli Kidman, Ex-KCPD Agent, comes to him with urgent news. Lily is alive and he can save her... But with one caveat, he has to enter an ew STEM system. One that his daughter is being used for, and the company Mobius has lost control of.

In order for Sebastian to save his daughter he will have to survive, confront his past, and discover the meaning behind his daughters disappearance. The only way out is from within.

The Evil Within 2 is filled with various characters Sebastian will run into during his trip to Union. Kidman assisting him from the real world, visions of his daughter, and sadistic individuals with their own agendas. What do they want? Where is his Daughter? Who else will Seb run into during his journey?

Sebastian will find himself exploring the city of Union in search for Lily.
Mobius has been using her as a template for STEM and its new world. She has suddenly gone missing and they are losing control. Seb is the final hope in bringing her back before the entire system collapses on itself.

Union appears as any regular Midwestern town but not all is what it seems. It can change and alter right before Sebastian's eyes. It's also full of deadly creatures,
otherworldly monsters, and secrets. Within STEM, enemies such as The Lost, Hysterics,
and other gruesome nightmares will test Sebastian like never before.

Players can progress the story as they see fit. Sticking to the main plot, or in one of the many sidequests leading to new areas, resources, and more importantly perhaps answers about Union City.

The Evil Within 2 retains the same third person survival horror gameplay that fans have come to expect. Updated and refined to allow for more options with combat and stealth for a brand new experience.

New combat skills, stealth mechanics, and traps gives players the ability to explore Union as they see fit. Sebastian will once again earn experience and the ability to unlock better stats and equipment.

Exploration has been expanded upon with the new hub areas that allow further investigation and new side quests, a first for the franchise. Find more ammo, items,
and perhaps hidden monsters.

F,A,Q,

Do I need to play The Evil Within 1 to understand the sequel?

-No. While it will give you a better grasp or understanding of the terms, characters, or ideas, the sequel can be played on its own. Bethesda has a recap I've included in the links below.

Does the game force widescreen black bars like the original?

-No and that was later patched out of the original so if that was the reason you stopped playing, now's a good time to revisit.

Is the story as hard to follow like the first?

-According to the developers, it's known the first game was a little hard to piece together and has worked to provide a bit more of an easier narrative to follow. Still expect twists, turns, and other interesting story elements.

I keep hearing STEM. What is that?

-According to Bethesda, "Currently under the control of the shadowy organization named Mobius, STEM is a device that allows for a shared consciousness experience. It connects human minds in an alternate world, with one mind being used as a central "core," Building the world and controlling everything in it. Or, as writer Trent Haaga puts it, "STEM is like if Freddy Krueger made the Matrix."

Is the game scary?

-The first game featured plenty of subtle creepy moments and jump scares... But of course depending who you ask, scare mileage will vary. Does lack of ammo cause tension? Overcomed with enemies? The Evil Within series is focused on both horror and psychological scares and action elements. Prepare accordingly.

I hope this is good. I have it pre-ordered as the trailer I saw made it look like they learned from their mistakes of the first game. Really wanted to like the first game but just couldn't at all.

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find

And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive~

Great OT, but that font + mobile light theme is the true horror.

Font is a little hard to read on mobile with light theme but great OT nonetheless. Can’t wait for Friday!

Yes, def best viewed with dark theme as that's where I constructed it from, sorry for the eye bleed on white. Also want to give a huge shout out to Dusk Golem for all the TEW2 info has has been delivering over the last 4 months!

zanderace64

Neo Member
Having put Evil Within off for over a year, I finally got round to playing through it last month. Really enjoyed it in the end, despite not dealing that well with horror games.

Can't wait for this one now!

Khoryos

I'm a little curious how well it will hold up now that we're familiar with the conceit from the original - A lot of the first game worked really well on your first playthrough because you had *no idea* what was going on. Now we know to expect all the reality fuckery, will it have the same impact?

Vasili2K38

Wow with this game and Wolfenstein 2, I have singleplayer goodness for a loong time. I'm picking the game on Friday, but until Saturday I won't be able to play it.

Honestly I'm trying to contain my hype, because I LOVED TEW1, even with its technical flaws, was this crazy and wild ride. And also I love the setting (STEM) because it allows the game to go full crazy and wild. Maybe some people didn't like how the game was changing the pace from one chapter from other, but for me was amazing.

Wait, publisher PR sponsored OPs are a thing now?

No, nothing is sponsored, I just had a very good experience in getting any assets I needed or questions concerning minimum specs, etc with Bethesda PR when deciding to do the thread and it's a thank you. Nothing more, nothing less.

started playing last night on PC with an EA code. It's really good, can't wait to go home tonight and continue

EA code? What is that, and they are live now? *edit* Nevermind I'm dumb, (early access) Well enjoy man!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Shauni

I do dark theme, but switched over just to see if it was really that bad for regular, and holy shit.

But anyway, can't wait for Friday

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: no reason to pile on.

Can't wait to play this.

sphinx

the piano man
one question though,

do get a piece of music like the intro song (the one with lyrics) from EW1?

that was pretty nice, so moody and atmospheric

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Rien

Jelly Belly
Btw the Hit House are the artists who did this cover, they also did the Bloodborne theme song.

"Hunt You Down"

Sounds a bit like a wannabe Muse song with the way of singing imo.
Not really digging it

Anyway, very enthousiast about the game. Finished the first just one week ago and it was a lot of fun.

Sadist

I’ll play this down the line; I liked the original (ran fine on my PC) but I don’t know, I’m not feeling it.

Loved the first one, if RE7 didn't exist it would be the best horror/action game this generation. Hopefully this one will be even better!

dlauv

I picked it up on CDkeys for 30, just to stream something Halloween-y to my friends.

I have no confidence in this being very good. It seems like it will be better than the first in some small ways, but I didn't like the first very much. It was just ok and kind of frustrating.

From what I've seen of the footages, gunplay looks better, art direction looks far worse, the presentation is worse and the dialogue is horrible. Seb also won't shut up.

Dusk Golem

Hostile_18

Banned
So excited for this, absolutely loved the first game and dlc... it's 63gb's that's never leaving my hardrive!

Hopefully the sequel is just as good, all signs point to yes :D

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Wrapped up the first one + the DLC 2 days ago, so I'm all set for this the coming weekend.

Going in pretty much blind since I saw next to no gameplay from it.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Wrapped up the first one + the DLC 2 days ago, so I'm all set for this the coming weekend.

Going in pretty much blind since I saw next to no gameplay from it.

Me 2. I only saw 4 seconds of gameplay and then called it a day. Need to experience this without knowledge and alone in the dark. I only know Sebastian is the main caracter again.

I have to get a new graphics card for this game. I only got to experience TEW at 30 FPS, but this time around we'll actually be able to get a smoother 60 FPS experience (if the game's engine doesn't suck).

Cappa

Banned
Me 2. I only saw 4 seconds of gameplay and then called it a day. Need to experience this without knowledge and alone in the dark. I only know Sebastian is the main caracter again.

Same here, didnt go back to replay the original but Im all in on this one. Day 1 for me.

EA code? What is that, and they are live now? *edit* Nevermind I'm dumb, (early access) Well enjoy man!

Early Access code.

TEW2 runs very well on PC (i7 2600k/970) and looks fantastic.

I've stopped plenty of times just to look at Seb's character model. There's a lot of detail in the textures. I wish there was a built in photo mode.

I'm gonna see if I can fiddle with Toggledebugcamera like in the previous later on

Top Bottom