• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satchel

Banned
Looks stunning.

But this was the Zelda game I liked the least.

Wondering if I should sell my GameCube copy and give this one another try.

GCX

Not to mention the fact they haven't even shown something beyond Windfall screams "prototype."

This is so early along, I wouldn't be surprised if it had been recently commissioned.
Can't be that early if Iwata was serious about the Fall release.

klier

Ok, just look at the difference in the clouds! The original has these fluffy, white, rounded clouds... and the new one makes them look more "realistic," making them wispier, scattered and, by the looks of it, more affected by the wind.

And that might be awesome in Twilight Princess, or Majora's Mask. Not here.

Why? You control the wind, so I'd say it's a nice little touch to see the clouds move in the same direction as the boat is travelling...

Does anyone else notice how weird the water looks? It looks solid because the new shading effects everything else differently. The water needs to be translucent (same style, just more clear) for this look to be pulled off.

I actually think the new look is great but I'm still gonna go with the the classical vg forum move of taking up the contrarian elitist perspective...cos' I'm cool like that.

Tookay

Can't be that early if Iwata was serious about the Fall release.

This could have been commissioned a couple months ago. A year for a largely graphical enhancement with slight gameplay tweaks is plenty of time. It's not like they're designing a game from the ground up.

Worst revision of Link ever.

mqdefault.jpg

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I reckon that some of the old animations won't work at all with the cell-shading turned off. Link and some of the more fantastically animated enemies did lots of exaggerated movements and shape-stretching that I believe would look off with a "cgi rendered" art style.

Yonafunu

I reckon that some of the old animations won't work at all with the cell-shading turned off. Link and some of the more fantastically animated enemies did lots of exaggerated movements and shape-stretching that I believe would look off with a "cgi rendered" art style.

As I said before, I think it looks more like claymation.

Mantorok

Looks stunning.

But this was the Zelda game I liked the least.

Wondering if I should sell my GameCube copy and give this one another try.

This is exactly what I was thinking, Wind Waker wasn't my least favourite, but it was dissapointingly short, if they add some more stuff then I'm all over this.

But fuck people WW looked fucking good before on the GC, actually it looked amazing and in motion was incredible, I can't see Nintendo fuck up one of their most prized posessions, these are early shots, it's not out for a while and when it's finished.....

.....IT'S GOING TO LOOK AMAZING!!!

My only regret is Nintendo are yet again pulling me back on nostalgia, but fuck it Nintendo have some of the best franchises in the entire industry, why not pull people back with them, don't blame them at all but the bastards always suck me back in with it.

I feel like a beaten wife, I complain about it but I always go back for more....damn you Nintendo.

LukeTim

I would been more interested by a HD Majoras Mask tbh.

Given that they are effectively two parts to the same (ie, THAT Link's) story... you can't do a HD MM without first doing a HD OOT. And that's unlikely, given OOT 3D.

A MM 3D, is a more likely proposition.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Best by far.

How you can say Wind Waker is ugly is beyond me. It has a beautiful, consistent style that is simply perfect.

I don't want to play a game where I constantly want to punch the ugly out of the main character.

Also worth noting that I wouldn't have said anything if people didn't start going off about how it's somehow universally loved now. It's not. It was the worst selling mainline Zelda for a reason.

Raptomex

Some people are just way too obsessed with visuals. I think it looks great and I loved the cell shading to begin with. Can't wait.

Call me crazy, but I like the NGC windwaker look much more than these updated visuals. Some charm seems to be missing...

(Windwaker is my favorite Zelda game)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Don't really like the new shading, it makes the game look more like Nintendo Land than Wind Waker. They should just have increased the resolution, cleaned up the textures, made shadows higher-res, etc. The shading should have stayed the same.

Mantorok

I don't want to play a game where I constantly want to punch the ugly out of the main character.

Also worth noting that I wouldn't have said anything if people didn't start going off about how it's somehow universally loved now. It's not. It was the worst selling mainline Zelda for a reason.

You can say a lot of things about Wind Waker, but saying it failed because of the way it looked?

Are you serious?

sammy

Can't wait to hear what else is being added, this is such great news and WW is my favorite.

I'm sure it's early on so it will look even better than this pre-production pass, but I would like it if the characters were cell-shaded like they used to be.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
You can say a lot of things about Wind Waker, but saying it failed because of the way it looked?

Are you serious?

I'm saying negative reactions to its reveal led to poor word of mouth. Also look at the sheer glee from everyone involved when TP was unveiled.

"Finally a Zelda that looks good." That was the basic response.

Ponchopickaxe

Neo Member

Skyward Sword would like to have a word with you. 3.6 mil sold vs 4.6 for Wind Waker.

Mantorok

I'm saying negative reactions to its reveal led to poor word of mouth. Also look at the sheer glee from everyone involved when TP was unveiled.

"Finally a Zelda that looks good." That was the basic response.

You have to factor in that the GC didn't have a huge user-base, and I would say that anyone who based their purchase on visuals alone and ignorance of the glowing reviews at the time probably don't deserve to a play a game that good.

Then of course you factor in the dissapointment of those who mistakenly thought that TP would be "better" because of the visuals and you have quite a few people potentially queueing up for a re-release of a great game.

Mr. F

Banned
So I guess I'm getting a Wii U...

It does look a bit overdone on the saturation/bloom but I take it they're still messing around with things. Looks great though.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Loved Wind Waker for the most part (just the Tri Force fetch quest and lack of dungeons irked me). It was one of the reasons why I bought a Gamecube.

Looks like, once again, Wind Waker is going to be the reason why I buy a Nintendo console. I skipped out on the Wii, but the Wii U already impressed me at E3, but I was waiting for more games.

Once this, the new Smash, and three other games I find interesting hit it, I'll be picking one up.

The only thing I don't like about the look of this one is the character models. Maybe it's just the screenshot, but the Cel Shaded look of GC Wind Waker was amazing. It seems to be missing that here, but it's still, quite literally, a good 9 or 10 months away, and graphics polishing usually comes in the last 3 months of development.

Looks great! It is officially on my radar, that's for sure.

braves01

Banned
Honestly, the style of this remake seems very similar to Nintendo Land Zelda (maybe it's dat bloom?).

A+ Nintendo, I was just thinking how nice it would be to have a full Zelda in the Nintendo Land style.

Keikaku

This is still the best looking Zelda game out there IMO but they really need to turn down that bloom. Maybe it looks better in motion but those screens are definitely overexposed. Looks like I'll have to get a few spins in on my GCN version now :)

Doesn't count since SS wasn't fugly.
Oh OK, so you just want to complain. Gotcha.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
You have to factor in that the GC didn't have a huge user-base, and I would say that anyone who based their purchase on visuals alone and ignorance of the glowing reviews at the time probably don't deserve to a play a game that good.
Really, Cellda was a massive wet blanket.
Went from Space World's GC tech demo:

http://youtu.be/CmhtYOPiL0o

To the reveal... It didn't really thrill that many people.

http://youtu.be/krQ40gvxCV4

Vs TP's unveiling:

http://youtu.be/zwMdcESljqg

I really hope they upgrade more than the graphical capabilities. More foliage, varieties of trees, more additions to levels to make them more life-like, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom