• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Ashhong

its too bad that HBO hack didn't include WB servers and we could get the JL script leaked.

and regarding the previous rumors
why the fuck would Bruce have Superman in his suit? And how? And when would he have swapped them? For sure it's Clark in that grave since the gravel rose

dumb dumb dumb

The best thing about 4chan rumours is how you can spot the seams and the logic behind the "leaker's" rationale.

The description is basically things we saw in the trailers sugarcoated by bullshit and sprinkled with the latest internet forum speculation
(Kara and specially green lanterns suddenly became a thing).

Bonus points for including a BVS artbook shot
during Lois's trip down the memory Lane (a "scene where Clark is asleep and Lois kisses him before she leaves")

Got a good chucle out of the
wax figure
, I admit

J_Viper

More from 4chan, these being the alleged changes from the reshoots

Prepare your grains of salt

Lex Luthor has been entirely cut.

Henry Allen has been entirely cut.

Deathstroke has been entirely cut.

Darkseid has been entirely cut.

The Knightmare is not addressed.

Wonder Woman is present when Steppenwolf steals the Amazons' Mother Box from Themyscira and vows revenge. This was included to set up Steppenwolf's new death scene.

Additional scene of Alfred picking up Batman in Amnesty Bay after Aquaman rejects him.

Additional scene of Flash and Cyborg discussing their backgrounds on their way to the Parademons' nest and developing a bond.

Minor dialogue additions throughout.

The Harvester subplot was entirely added in reshoots, restructuring the third act which was originally just an alien invasion.

Superman's subplot is altered. Rather than flee from Metropolis due to self-doubt, he does it to see Lois and Martha and let them know he's fine before immediately joining the battle.

Additional scene of Superman meeting Alfred before heading to Venezuela.

Additional scene of Superman saving Metropolis from the Harvester's effects and reassuring the people that everything will be fine.

Cyborg's subplot is altered. Rather than doubt himself and be reassured by Batman, Cyborg is the one who rallies the League using a football metaphor that later inspires the team's name.

Additional scene of Cyborg and Silas watching Cyborg's old college football games together.

Steppenwolf's demisse is changed. Originally he'd be beamed back to Apokolips by Cyborg and executed by Darkseid for faiIing to conquer Earth. Now Wonder Woman will punch him into the Harvester's beam and disintegrate him./spoiler]

Ninjimbo

I think I hate everything in the second batch of rumors. Hopefully it isn't true especially the Cyborg stuff. What a way to fucking undercut an interesting characterization.

Some of that shit does sound like the type of sappy Whedon goes for at times.

Ross61

Grace Rudolph is saying WB is looking at either Daniel Espinosa or Gerard Johnstone to direct Justice League Dark. Take with a grain of salt as always.

kmfdmpig

Grace Rudolph is saying WB is looking at either Daniel Espinosa or Gerard Johnstone to direct Justice League Dark. Take with a grain of salt as always.

At this point I'd be surprised if that movie ever sees the light of day. I hope it does, however.

SArcher

Banned
So I'm assuming Shazam and WW 2 are both pretty much a done deal for 2019 now, right? And we could also get one or even two of the following: The Batman, Batgirl, Gotham City Sirens, Justice League Dark & Nightwing. 2019 is gonna be huge.

do we really have to spoiler tag 4chan rumors?

I'm of the mindset of no, but people lose their goddamn minds if anything that could be perceived as real is unspoilered.

So I'm assuming Shazam and WW 2 are both pretty much a done deal for 2019 now, right? And we could also get one or even two of the following: The Batman, Batgirl, Gotham City Sirens, Justice League Dark & Nightwing. 2019 is gonna be huge.

I believe Shazam is still tentatively the April 5, 2019 release date. We still have the slot on June 14, 2019 open.

I enjoy how when I googled "Shazam release date" I get Captain Marvel's release date for some reason.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still on board saying The Batman is 2019. That's a good mix of heroes for DC. Something new, something old, and something technically old but really fresh and well liked, haha.

ReiGun

I've said this before, but now that it's about to become the highest grossing origin flick ever, this bares repeating: Wonder Woman's success has been extremely vindicating for me in a way I'm almost embarassed to admit.

Indeed. Just speaking for myself, I grew up reading various comics and was always perplexed why there wasn't a Wonder Woman cartoon, video game, movie, etc. I watched the TV show from years before I was born, but it didn't seem to move past that. Then years of reading about WW movie or TV projects that never happened. Best you got was her role on the Justice League cartoon. In 2009 they finally make a Wonder Woman animated movie that's pretty good...and never follow it up.

Finally in 2013 or so you hear the Snyders making an effort to get WW on screen. From then there was a director shake up and plenty of BS rumors and think pieces about how it's a mess and will bomb. That it's more Steve Trevor's movie and Diana pushed to the side. But damn did Patty Jenkins prove all that wrong and deliver. Symbolically the No Man's Land scene feels like the journey to get the movie made. And the overwhelming success is Diana shield bashing the sniper tower.

Penguin

I've said this before, but now that it's about to become the highest grossing origin flick ever, this bares repeating: Wonder Woman's success has been extremely vindicating for me in a way I'm almost embarassed to admit.
I've seen the pics of you buck naked with the box office mojo page!

ReiGun

Indeed. Just speaking for myself, I grew up reading various comics and was always perplexed why there wasn't a Wonder Woman cartoon, video game, movie, etc. I watched the TV show from years before I was born, but it didn't seem to move past that. Then years of reading about WW movie or TV projects that never happened. Best you got was her role on the Justice League cartoon. In 2009 they finally make a Wonder Woman animated movie that's pretty good...and never follow it up.

Finally in 2013 or so you hear the Snyders making an effort to get WW on screen. From then there was a director shake up and plenty of BS rumors and think pieces about how it's a mess and will bomb. That it's more Steve Trevor's movie and Diana pushed to the side. But damn did Patty Jenkins prove all that wrong and deliver. Symbolically the No Man's Land scene feels like the journey to get the movie made. And the overwhelming success is Diana shield bashing the sniper tower.
All of this. I've spent years arguing with people that WB was sitting on a goldmine with Wonder Woman. And just like you, I watched year after year pass with my favorite DC character getting the shaft in favor of more Batman.

And sure enough, her first movie comes out and crushes the buildings. Hopefully the people signing the checks take notice and we start getting more Wonder Woman solo projects announced. They could start with the animated series we've been owed for about 20 years now.

I've seen the pics of you buck naked with the box office mojo page!

Damn you TMZ!

All of this. I've spent years arguing with people that WB was sitting on a goldmine with Wonder Woman. And just like you, I watched year after year pass with my favorite DC character getting the shaft in favor of more Batman.

And sure enough, her first movie comes out and crushes the buildings. Hopefully the people signing the checks take notice and we start getting more Wonder Woman solo projects announced. They could start with the animated series we've been owed for about 20 years now.

*shocked executives*
BarryMeyer_header.jpg

"But, but... women don't watch superhero entertainment, read comics, or buy superhero-based products!"

Perhaps don't assume that because you've been ignoring an audience, they don't exist.

Ross61

*shocked executives*
BarryMeyer_header.jpg

"But, but... women don't watch superhero entertainment, read comics, or buy superhero-based products!"

Perhaps don't assume that because you've been ignoring an audience, they don't exist.

I don't think they're all that shocked really. DC/WB have been collecting data on female audiences for years. Hell, that's part of the reason DC Super Hero Girls came to be.

I don't think they're all that shocked really. DC/WB have been collecting data on female audiences for years. Hell, that's part of the reason DC Super Hero Girls came to be.

Most of the that is relatively new though.

Diane Nelson is probably the person I'd most place the change at the feet of. She's been president of DC Entertainment since 2009, but stated moving really hard once Tsujihara became CEO in 2013. Nelson moved DC Comics from NY to Burbank to be closer to the film division.

On the move from Robinov to Tsujihara in 2013.

I can't comment on Jeff Robinov not being here, but I can say it is the most optimistic time for me professionally, and for the company, DC and Warner Bros., in the 17 years since I've been here. I say that for a number of reasons. One is Kevin. He is someone I've worked closely with for the whole time I've been at the studio. Kevin has known as much about what we've done with DC as anyone in the studio, and he's actively worked to support us. So now that I'm working solely for him, reporting to him, I think it's just the greatest time ever. DC is one of his biggest priorities. I think you're going to see the growth potential for the studio being very much rooted in what we do with DC. We have the potential to do an even more aggressive job on the film slate, but not just in relation to the Justice League characters; not just for film but for television.

In 2014, she noted that DC and WB needed to get much, much better about female representation.

DC Entertainment president Diane Nelson responded to the shareholder, saying that increasing visibility for both female characters and creators is a priority for the company. ”At DC Entertainment we talk frequently about how we heighten the presence of female storytellers and creators with our comic books, digital and physical," she said. ”How do we bring the female characters to light more?" Additionally, Nelson is quoted as saying that DC is ”very conscious" of the issue, and that there is ”more work to do," with plans for female characters in the works for both TV and film.

”I think if we talk again in a couple of years, you'll be pleased with the results," Nelson is quoted.

And in the PR for DC Super Hero Girls? That's Diane Nelson again.

”DC Entertainment is home to the most iconic and well-known Super Heroes including Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Batgirl," said Diane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment. ”DC Super Hero Girls represents the embodiment of our long-term strategy to harness the power of our diverse female characters. I am so pleased that we are able to offer relatable and strong role models in a unique way, just for girls."

Basically, Nelson was there, but it wasn't until Tsujihara came on that she was seemingly given more organizational leeway.

Penguin

Oh man I forgot about the rumors that Pine carried this movie and was the more interesting/likable character

I like Pine's Trevor but yeah there's no way he came close to overshadowing D

Ross61

Most of the that is relatively new though.

Diane Nelson is probably the person I'd most place the change at the feet of. She's been president of DC Entertainment since 2009, but stated moving really hard once Tsujihara became CEO in 2013. Nelson moved DC Comics from NY to Burbank to be closer to the film division.

On the move from Robinov to Tsujihara in 2013.

In 2014, she noted that DC and WB needed to get much, much better about female representation.

And in the PR for DC Super Hero Girls? That's Diane Nelson again.

Basically, Nelson was there, but it wasn't until Tsujihara came on that she was seemingly given more organizational leeway.
Which is why I said WB. Diane's arguably more of an WB executive than a DC one. Most days I think it's just a title they gave her.

On one hand 4chan leaks are such bullshit. But on the other hand that awful cyborg rallying the league scene sounds exactly like what whedon would try to pull

Ninjimbo

For anyone still doubting Snyder's intention with his Superman, he shared this link on Vero noting "This is correct and beautifully stated"

https://geeksofcolor.co/2017/08/17/the-ultimate-immigrant-story-zack-snyders-superman/
I read that a couple of days ago. It's an interesting piece and an angle I hadn't given a lot of thought to even though I come from a family of immigrants. Just goes to show you how layered Snyder's films are. His images are realized in such a way that they can support multiple interpretations.

I like how he didn't shy away from it all in BvS and instead dove even further in.

I'm going to miss this in JL.

I read that a couple of days ago. It's an interesting piece and an angle I hadn't given a lot of thought to even though I come from a family of immigrants. Just goes to show you how layered Snyder's films are. His images are realized in such a way that they can support multiple interpretations.

I like how he didn't shy away from it all in BvS and instead dove even further in.

Prepare for the quips.

IconGrist

Outside of your regular "me too!" hot take opinions I don't think anyone really doubts what Snyder's intentions with Superman are or were.

Superman in the DCEU arguments basically break down like this:

- "Superman has always sucked and that remains true in the DCEU because it's Superman."

- "Superman is supposed to enjoy being Superman. Snyder's Superman is Superman in name only."

- "Snyder's Superman is only Superman because he was told to be Superman instead of choosing to do it himself."

Out of those only the last one really has any merit but none of them specifically imply the intention behind this particular characterization was missed.

Bleepey

I remember a similar article came out around the same time as BVS.

This is a Justice League rumor that's likely fake, but I kinda like it so I'll post it anyway. It goes
Michael McElhatton is playing Alan Scott Green Lantern and looks like he does in Kingdom Come. He fights alongside the humans during the ancient invasion.

^ Wow. It makes sense though.
My initial guess was that he would be either the hostage taker or a normal ancient human (basically reprising Roose Bolton). But those roles wouldn't really need to be kept secret. If it's true, the ancient war just got a notch more EPIC!

Sambrez_

Guys, I wasn't there when the Comic Con trailer released, but based on the previous comments ; you guys weren't satisfied ?
I watched it like 20 times already, and I love the Alex Ross inspired photos of the League.

Top Bottom