• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite product designs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
main.php

Because I just got mine.

btkadams

i prefer the aluminum borders on the matte-finish mbp and mba lines myself. apple definitely nails design.

some great things in this thread! i also really love design, but i've never looked into it beyond following design stuff on tumblr haha.

my faves in the thread so far:
+ iphone 4/4s
+ macbook pro aluminum
+ gamecube
+ that nokia phone in the thread (windows one)
+ mac mini

here's another couple:
FCeS7.jpg

dyson vacuum

Escg5.jpg

dyson bladeless fans

Natetan

I love Naoto Fukusawa designs

Neon (from au)

neon.jpg

hot water dispenseer (plusminuszero)

plusminuszero_hot_water_nov.jpg

Love ittala glasses, i have a bunch of these:

iit_karh_a_sb_l.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Eh, in pictures the WP7 interface always pushes the sexiness of the phone itself down a notch. It's just not good looking imho.

The visual appeal from WP7 comes from the animations and fluidness of the UI, something you only experience in real life.

So, at least when it comes to pictures of the phones, I disagree with you.

Well to each their own I guess. I like the minimalistic interface of wp7 a lot, it's something that appeals to me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nokia Lumia 800
CHpkO.jpg

This is the best looking phone ever. It's just so beautiful.

Galaxy Nexus
euWcA.jpg

While it doesn't look amazing in picture form, the remarkable thing about it is how comfortable it is to hold. It makes you forget you're holding a 4.65 inch screen phone.

Macbook Air
iwXqa.jpg

Incredibly revolutionary in it's design. Just beautiful.

Wacom Cintiq 21HD

CyON9.jpg

I'm not sure if it's the design, or just that seeing it makes me instinctively drool, but I want it so bad.

Wii

7MtbB.jpg

I've always like the Wii's minimalistic design. Looks great in contrast to the other two behemoth consoles.

nook-touch1-420x286.jpg

I bought a nook Touch based almost solely on its physical design. All I wanted it for was ebooks and I love its minimalist frame.

Gotta go with everything in these posts, especially the Wii and Nook. Amazon dropped the design ball with the new Kindles IMO. (Although I don't like the Nook Color's design that much, either.)

If we can step inside the world of software products, there's only one that's made me truly head over heels.

iI3Nv96W9jgbR.png

Aside from a few perplexing decisions, like the removal of the + sign on the new tab button, and the upcoming "uber" settings page, I feel every decision made when designing and making Chrome was the right one. And every decision since has only made it better. I really have to give a shout out to Chrome 6's interface tweaks that finally made the browser "grown up," sleek, and minimalistic.

Simple sync, never having to worry about updates (to the browser, or extensions), trying to make web apps at parity with smartphone apps, an entire OS devoted to the ideals of the cloud... I could go on and on, but if we're counting both hardware and software product designs, Chrome is the only one to steal my heart.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I just recently, finally, got the Zune HD. What an amazing device. The interface is by far the most intuitive on any device I've used. Within the first 20 minutes I felt like I had been using it for years. That Zune font is very elegant. Animations are smooth and I love the way artist images are pulled up and used as background images. Really nice touch. The hardware itself is much smaller, thinner and lighter than I had anticipated. I also really like the shape of the hardware.

I fuckin love this thing.

I just recently, finally, got the Zune HD. What an amazing device. The interface is by far the most intuitive on any device I've used. Within the first 20 minutes I felt like I had been using it for years. That Zune font is very elegant. Animations are smooth and I love the way artist images are pulled up and used as background images. Really nice touch. The hardware itself is much smaller, thinner and lighter than I had anticipated. I also really like the shape of the hardware.

I fuckin love this thing.

I really wish MS hadn't given up on the Zune HD line so quickly. They really were great and have dramatically better sound than the ipod/iphone line.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I really wish MS hadn't given up on the Zune HD line so quickly. They really were great and have dramatically better sound than the ipod/iphone line.

Hopefully the fact that it even came out marks a start where more electronics developers shoot for Apple levels of design.

EDIT: The G4 cube looks sexy as hell but when it first came out I remember one of my father's clients complaining that all of the ports were on the bottom. It always struck me as an incredibly baffling decision from Apple. I do wish Apple would return to experimenting with desktop design like that: the current iMac lines look great of course, but they had some amazingly slick designs.

nitewulf

usually for these things, you are paying for form, not function. all design stores i've browsed have insanely priced stuff...but sometimes you find something that fits your aesthetic sensibility, is clever and functional...i love that.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hopefully the fact that it even came out marks a start where more electronics developers shoot for Apple levels of design.

EDIT: The G4 cube looks sexy as hell but when it first came out I remember one of my father's clients complaining that all of the ports were on the bottom. It always struck me as an incredibly baffling decision from Apple. I do wish Apple would return to experimenting with desktop design like that: the current iMac lines look great of course, but they had some amazingly slick designs.
There are plenty of "better" ipod contenders that have come and gone but their hold on the market and culture is way too strong. People just get ipods. It's the safe, no brainer choice. I chose Zune mainly because I can't stand iTunes. I've had every major Zune and love them all.

DJ_Lae

I'm not a huge fan of any particular car design - except for this. It's hard not to be:

TIovn.jpg

Function over form for the most part, although this picture doesn't really do it justice with the lighting - I always get questions about it when I break it out during meetings.

xVlfi.jpg

Aulatori

While I suspect a lot of people posting in this thread will have already seen it, the documentary Objectified (Netflix streaming) is required viewing!

yTSDp.jpg

Gotta go with everything in these posts, especially the Wii and Nook. Amazon dropped the design ball with the new Kindles IMO. (Although I don't like the Nook Color's design that much, either.)

If we can step inside the world of software products, there's only one that's made me truly head over heels.

iI3Nv96W9jgbR.png

Aside from a few perplexing decisions, like the removal of the + sign on the new tab button, and the upcoming "uber" settings page, I feel every decision made when designing and making Chrome was the right one. And every decision since has only made it better. I really have to give a shout out to Chrome 6's interface tweaks that finally made the browser "grown up," sleek, and minimalistic.

Simple sync, never having to worry about updates (to the browser, or extensions), trying to make web apps at parity with smartphone apps, an entire OS devoted to the ideals of the cloud... I could go on and on, but if we're counting both hardware and software product designs, Chrome is the only one to steal my heart.

Whoa. I thought my Chrome was just bugging out. That's really weird that they changed it. It definitely feels empty without it there for some reason.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
While I suspect a lot of people posting in this thread will have already seen it, the documentary Objectified (Netflix streaming) is required viewing!

I'd also highly recommend Emotional Design by Donald Norman even if it does get a bit weird towards the end. Its less about the specific processes of design and more about why design is important.
emotionaldesign1.jpg

I really hope the attention it is getting now remains constant for a long time.

Ideally I would have posted this on a Friday, but I could not resist. Hopefully everyone enjoys it for a while!

Agreed! This is an awesome thread and a good place to place one of my favorite quotes on design:

Dieter Ram’s Ten Principles of good design:
Good design is innovative.
Good design makes a product useful.
Good design is aesthetic.
Good design helps us to understand a product.
Good design is unobtrusive.
Good design is honest.
Good design is durable.
Good design is consequent to the last detail.
Good design is concerned with the environment.
Good design is as little design as possible.

10_SFMOMA_Rams.jpg

DesignMuseum-SK-2-Radio-1955-Artur-Braun-Fritz-Eichler-Braun-GmbH-Koichi-Okuwaki.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom