• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Reveals Samaritan Processing Requirements: 10x 360 at 1080p, (4.4x 360 at 720p)

McHuj

Hopefully this puts to bed the "No way Samaritan can run on next gen consoles, it's 3 580GTX's"

DieH@rd

Banned
AMD, Intel and Nvidia are going to shower in cash when nextgen of console comes, and every PC gamer is forced to upgrade their rig to play multiplatform games.

More B3D info: average power draw of 7970 @ crysis 2 is ~163W [it can go up to ~189W].

^ These are not theoretical highest power draw numbers, this is in real gaming situations.

You can't design a console around "average power draw." You need to design it around the worst case maximum power draw and the GPU is just one component.

There are loads of resolutions in between 720p to 1080p. Use those too cause a million pixels difference is a hell of an extreme when you think about it.

Those math courses are coming back to me in full force. That theorem...I hated it so, but then loved her later.

LOL @ the slide mix up though, Sweeney is talking about Samaritan but is showing a shot of Crysis 2.

Pimpbaa

Lots of you fail to realize how good 720p can look with the right amount of AA and AF.

And you fail to realize that 1080p still looks significantly better no matter what the IQ settings at 720p. Also there is no getting around the fact that 720p will have to be scaled up on most HD tvs out there, and that alone ruins the image quality.

iavi

I didn't think that Samaritan would even be attainable next gen given the "3 580's" saying...Hype for the UE4 unveiling rising...

I always expected both Sony and Microsoft to come in around the ~2 teraflop level. So Samaritan at something like 1440x1080 with a native 1080p HUD, sounds about right. I'm confident Sony are still aiming for that ballpark but all the recent Microsoft rumours are shaking my confidence on whether MS will also be competitive.

How long would it take to shrink the existing hardware into a 200W box with 2TF performance that could be sold at $399 without a loss?

Minsc

Gold Member
Lots of you fail to realize how good 720p can look with the right amount of AA and AF.

720p almost never looks good to me compared to the native (1080p+) resolution on PC monitors, but on HDTVs, I can't notice the difference between 720p and 1080p.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
And you fail to realize that 1080p still looks significantly better no matter what the IQ settings at 720p. Also there is no getting around the fact that 720p will have to be scaled up on most HD tvs out there, and that alone ruins the image quality.

What size is your TV and how far do you sit from it?

DieH@rd

Banned
I agree and there was a large thread about this. I have a 720p projector and HD movies still look stunning and sharp on it.

Human eye more easily detects contrast than resolution. 720p material on really big screens looks totally acceptable.

aeolist

Banned
Hopefully this puts to bed the "No way Samaritan can run on next gen consoles, it's 3 580GTX's"

There's no way next gen consoles will have the power equivalent of 3 GTX 580s. They're going to have a much smaller TDP compared to even one.

statham

I agree and there was a large thread about this. I have a 720p projector and HD movies still look stunning and sharp on it. 720 vs 1080 isn't as important to me as better IQ, anti-aliasing and texture resolution.

When I was buying my projector I A-Bed 720p and 1080p versions and at 10-13 feet the difference in sharpness was negligible.
I have a 720p projector as well, the and games and blurays look awesome on it. even newer dvds look quite good on it. my friend has a 1080 PJ and I can't tell the difference on movies(never tried games)

Krilekk

Banned
Seems odd they'd add all that tech to UE3 when the current systems can't use it, and UE4 will be there to replace it when the new systems come.

Unreal Engine is an ever evolving product, there is no point where they replace everything that's in UE3 and call it UE4. UE4 will see huge improvements in multicore rendering but it will still use the same rendering functions that are in what they call UE 3.999 (Samaritian). There aren't many advances right now, we have DirectX 11 features but developers still work on DX 9 games. And DX 12 is years away. The only major change I see for UE4 over UE3 is lighting. Will probably be fully dynamic and only dynamic. Great lighting alone can make todays games look ten times better.

Postman

Banned
Human eye more easily detects contrast than resolution. 720p material on really big screens looks totally acceptable.

Yes and now devs plan for contrast. A lot of games are starting to come out with that contrast blurring effect around objects and characters. Witcher2, UC3, and Skyrim all have it.

DieH@rd

Banned
There's no way next gen consoles will have the power equivalent of 3 GTX 580s. They're going to have a much smaller TDP compared to even one.

Sweeny said in same speach that Samaritan requires ~2.5Tflops. That's achievable today with 300 mhz underclocked 7970. But that means nothing, we must wait and see what kind of hw will x720 use. PS4 will wait for stacked chips, and they come after ~ late 2013.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

Am I reading something different? The slide I'm looking at says ( semantically speaking ) it takes 10x the power of the 360 to play samaritan at 30 fps 1080p. And from what I understand the next xbox won't be that ( 10 times? ) big of a leap over the 360. On the other hand you "only" need 4.4x the power to run it at 720p. Which would lead me to two things :

1) Cool Samaritan level of visuals for the next set of consoles.
2) Cool 720p in 2018-2020.

Krilekk

Banned

It only used 3 GTX because it was thrown together in three months by a small team. They just wanted to show what UE4 graphics would look like, just because they needed to run it on 3 GTX to show it doesn't mean those are necessary for a full product with proper optimization. And the demo ran at 60 fps in 2xxx resolution.

StuBurns

Banned
Unreal Engine is an ever evolving product, there is no point where they replace everything that's in UE3 and call it UE4. UE4 will see huge improvements in multicore rendering but it will still use the same rendering functions that are in what they call UE 3.999 (Samaritian). There aren't many advances right now, we have DirectX 11 features but developers still work on DX 9 games. And DX 12 is years away. The only major change I see for UE4 over UE3 is lighting. Will probably be fully dynamic and only dynamic. Great lighting alone can make todays games look ten times better.
Is that true for the developers themselves too? Lets say someone is building a UE3.9 game, and Epic push UE4 out, I'm sure it's not quite File-Save As .UE4 or whatever, but is the transition going to be very pain free?

Postman

Banned
Is that true for the developers themselves too? Lets say someone is building a UE3.9 game, and Epic push UE4 out, I'm sure it's not quite File-Save As .UE4 or whatever, but is the transition going to be very pain free?

Depends on how much stuff is changed, But that is true for all updates. Some things get depreciated others can get changed completely.

Krilekk

Banned
So if this is true, then Wii-U may run Samaritan but at 720p

How can hardware that is 2x 360 run Samaritian? And even if it could, I expect their next gen title to be a Microsoft exclusive once again. Being the lead platform for UE3 basically won them this HD gen, for the next gen they already have CryEngine 3 for Ryse (which will be a next Xbox launch title, MMW) and they will just continue the healthy relationship with Epic.

Pimpbaa

What size is your TV and how far do you sit from it?

40" and fairly close. I play both console and PC games on it. Even from a more reasonable distance the difference is large when running something at the native 1080p resolution of my tv.

Medalion

Banned
How can hardware that is 2x 360 run Samaritian? And even if it could, I expect their next gen title to be a Microsoft exclusive once again. Being the lead platform for UE3 basically won them this HD gen, for the next gen they already have CryEngine 3 for Ryse (which will be a next Xbox launch title, MMW) and they will just continue the healthy relationship with Epic.

There was earlier reports the Wii-U would be 5x powerful as Xbox 360

M3d10n

720p almost never looks good to me compared to the native (1080p+) resolution on PC monitors, but on HDTVs, I can't notice the difference between 720p and 1080p.

That's because freaking TVs will crop and scale 1080p sources too (so they don't show 1:1) when trying to simulate analog overscan (which should have no place at all in digital displays).

My uncle was floored when I set his 50" HDTV to "PC-mode" and his PS3 to output full-range. Before doing that the image was full of scaling artifacts.

Instro

Well I think the idea was that it wouldn't look as good as what we saw in the demo, presumably it won't if they have chopped down the resolution and AA. Clearly though its more scalable than was originally implied, considering at first they were saying they "might" be able to get it to run on a single 580GTX.

According to...? As for your 2nd point, thats not really the issue. Many devs use UE, so being able to run the engine is more important than having Epic's games.

StuBurns

Banned
Most likely not, they made UT3 so they had a version of their stuff on every UE3 platform, they'll most likely do that again, and they aren't going to bring UT back, so they'll probably keep Gears for MS, and have the new thing on everything UE4 will be on.

Sean

Banned
I would be okay with Samaritan level graphics at 720p if it ran at 60fps.

If we cannot make the leap to full 1080p in every game, at least double the framerate from 30 to 60.

Krilekk

Banned

Yes. Epic has strong competition these days, they couldn't change everything even if they wanted. Epic listens closely to their customers.

gunbo13

Depends on the HDTV and distance. I'm on a 60" LCD about 6-7 feet away. And I can absolutely tell the difference between the resolutions. Games, movies, etc... I've done a ton of A-B comparisons with stills and motion.

Top Bottom