• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 Review Thread

Beaulieu

After watching 3 video reviews i'm pretty sure there won't be any rain effects in this game.

I'm a sucker for this stuff so that's a HUGE minus for me. How can you have such an amazing skybox without any weather effects. Yes, i know Dan said in the feature video there is a weather system in the game but that doesn't mean it will get rainy.

Please tell me i'm wrong.

i told you yesterday in the streaming IGN thread that you are wrong.
why do you want us to keep telling you ?

there are some gameplay videos with rain out there.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
There better is a way to turn that shit off.

777777777alqf5.png

I mean, what the fuck?

Far Cry 2 got similar reviews and I got badly burned by that game.

Yeah... I'm surprised this is getting as glowing reviews as it is, but then again FC2 got relatively glowing reviews too so I don't know what to think.

Most of the marketing that I've seen from this game has looked awful with the overly scripted sequences, overdone voice over and seemingly too much scripted stuff for an open world sandbox type of game. If that narrative stuff isn't totally obnoxious and intrusive, that would be promising.

I'm still not going to rush out and get it but the RPS review puts this game on my radar at least.

Zeliard

Edge said:
Even the campaign’s three minutes of fun can end up looping a little too repetitively, though, due to a ripple effect caused by some well-meaning changes. This is a more considerate game than its predecessor. The lack of respawning Outposts, plentiful fast travel options, and generous mid-mission checkpoints are joined by the fact your guns no longer break. The resulting game is less prone to frustrate you – but it’s also one where journeys feel shorter, less eventful and where things are less likely to go wrong. In Far Cry 2, having your rickety sniper rifle shatter into pieces, or succumbing to a malaria attack in the midst of a shootout might have been irritating, but it was justified by the thrill of calling upon your powers of improvisation to salvage the situation. Find a set of tactics that work in Far Cry 3, however, and you can rely upon them indefinitely – you have to switch approaches yourself to stave off fatigue.

This is the sort of thing I was worried about. By removing some of those harsher elements from FC3 they may have diluted some of the intensity and sense of danger, and those moments where you had to think on your feet.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Sorry but nobody posted a single screenshot or video with rain in it. I watched 3 video reviews and nada. It's not that i don't believe you guys, it just would be great to have any proof.

Man those are some really good scores. I figured that it would rate pretty high since the pre-release podcast chatter has all been pretty positive but it's nice to see the final product delivers. I just wish I wasn't already overloaded with titles. Definitely going to pick it up eventually though.

JebusF

Neo Member
Do any of the reviews touch on the wildlife stuff? Is there any reason to go out hunting or are the animals just there to ruin your day?

Oh, hunting is a must.

You upgrade your equipment by using the skin from animals you hunt.

And yet, it's never boring.

I saw rain and fog in one of the trailers, it looked really AWESOME! I am sucker for foggy weather in games.

mr stroke

Can't wait for this game. If its anything close to Far Cry 1(and it appears to be from reviews) it will be my GOTY. Love the open word jungle.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I've been incredibly hyped for this bad boy since like july. My birthday is on the 6th and i'm taking most of that week off. Gonna wreck this game like a new girlfriend.

So excite.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm less concerned about potential "tonal issues" with the narrative's violence, and more concerned about the dudebro douchebag to interesting maniac ratio. Because all footage I've seen shows your circle of friends as little more than obnoxious fucksticks.

Popeck

There better is a way to turn that shit off.

777777777alqf5.png

I mean, what the fuck?

You can tag the enemies with the camera if you want.

I'm kind of surprised with the high raving reviews. I definitely had some performance issues all the time with my Xbox 360 version.

legacyzero

Banned
Ok, watching that now.

Edit: Can't see shit with that stupid player they are using....

I hope you're right.

Also i'm so happy almost every review says Vaas is an AWESOME villain.

Best villain of the year? GOTY!
forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/727757-FC3-Weather-Time-Lapse

Popeck

I'm less concerned about potential "tonal issues" with the narrative's violence, and more concerned about the dudebro douchebag to interesting maniac ratio. Because all footage I've seen shows your circle of friends as little more than obnoxious fucksticks.

Well, luckily you don't have to deal with them too much.

-BLITZ-

You can tag the enemies with the camera if you want.

I'm kind of surprised with the high raving reviews. I definitely had some performance issues all the time with my Xbox 360 version.

That's a good relief. I thought that after you use the camera, the game automatically put those icons above them. Tag them, does this include to see them through objects ? because the pictures explains this.

Popeck

That's a good relief. I thought that after you use the camera, the game automatically put those icons above them. Tag them, does this include to see them through objects ? because the pictures explains this.

I mean yes, the game automatically tags the enemies if you point at them with your camera but there's little point doing that if you don't want to tag them.

JebusF

Neo Member

It does auto-tag them.

You press up on the d-pad to get your camera out, and once you zoom right in with it, you can spot enemies, but you don't have to press a button to have that icon appear. Each icon shows what type of enemy they are (heavy, sniper, etc), too.

You can see through things by using a syringe you can craft, which allows you to have a heightened sense of smell, you can craft one like that for hunting too.

Fantastic. I hope it's as fun and rewarding as the hunting in Red Dead Redemption.

Far, far better, imho.

Gies described The Witcher 2 as "Fable with whores"
That doesn't even make sense. Fable had all kinds of whores.

Edit: when did he say that, it's not in his review

Edit: oh

"Every character looks like a fucking maniquin. I don't like the visual design. None of the characters are relatable. It's slapped together. "

"The 360 version that came out this week is a more impressive game from a overall visual perspective from the PC version that came out a year ago."

"There have been so many people who try to beat the drum of "you choices in Witcher 2 are more meaningful than any other game. I am not seeing that at all. Witcher 2 is like a medieval Fable."

"The only thing you do in that fucking game is combat."

"This game is like Fable. It's Fable with tits."
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37256560&postcount=3939

splattered

You guys crack me up... "OMG what's with these reviews!? This game is actually good???!"

I really dug Far Cry 2 and had high hopes for this one but was also ready to look the other way should it suck as i had to do with RE6. The trailers have been fairly promising though IMO. So i'm not at all surprised at these reviews... now i go out and preorder. :D

Zeliard

Gies also said the only reason people like the Witcher games is that they were PC exclusive, and that PC gamers artificially bolstered them to lord it over console players. He's a hard man to take seriously.

xenist

10/10 from Eurogamer and a positive review from RPS added to everyone else raving means that for the first time in years I'll be bying a Ubisoft game day 1.

And Gies is about the worst judge when it comes to story. The man liked the story in fucking Gears Of War.

Top Bottom