• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2017 | Stranger Things have happened than great mobile games

bonesquad

The F2P energy mechanisms already mentioned in Into the Dead 2 aren't great. And while I like the move to levels versus endless running, the game has also continued its trend towards an emphasis on shooting zombies. My favorite part of the first game was when the focus was on running and avoiding zombies. Weapons were last ditch efforts for when you mess up. Still, the production level of the game is impressive, and runs still tense. I doubt I'll ever be able to beat story mode, but the game will probably stay in my games to zone out to rotation for awhile.

awp69

I mean, I guess if you were watching this on an iOS device, this technically counts as iOS Gaming...

Sorry for your loss.

I read articles on my phone about the impact on the playoff race, does that count?

On topic, there’s a pretty cool game called San Giorli that appears to be completely free. Game play is unique in that you rotate a moving person tying wires together to open doors, turning power on to areas, etc.

It starts out slow but gets tricky and has a cyberpunk Blade Runner-style theme that I love. Worth checking out:

San Giorli by Tencent Mobile International Limited
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/san-giorli/id1281428574?mt=8

nampad

Finally tried Rome: Total War after using the family shared purchase of my nephew.
I played the tutorial, which did a really bad job explaining everything.
They stopped you in the wrong moments when you want to try something. The tooltips were done quite bad as well.

The worst was the user interface though. The battle controls don't work well and are clunky, the camera doesn't let you zoom out enough and limits the controls too much.
The campaign controls are also bad and the menus are too busy.

The funniest thing though was that I needed to google how to open the main menu. There are like 20 icons on the screen and the main menu only opens by putting 3 fingers on the screen?!

The graphics also didn't impress me on a Ipad 2017, expected something more.

Thanks for the heads up! Check your pm!

Didn't get a PM ;)

I mentioned in the previous thread but I guess you missed, I scored ~100,000 one run and then the next ~200,000 but it only unlocked the 120,000 car. I think that's kinda chintzy it doesn't unlock all cars below the 200,000 points requirement. Any chance we can see that change in the future?

Congrats on its success!

Thanks! We're probably not changing that. We had it that way before launch, it really made each car that you won feel not that special.

Didn't get a PM ;)

You do now!

nampad

To be fair, the game is 13 years old

Wow, forgot that it was already that old. Anyway, remember people hyping it up when the port got released so I expected way more.

Thanks! We're probably not changing that. We had it that way before launch, it really made each car that you won feel not that special.

You do now!

I noticed the same as the user you quoted. I thought that was a bit weird and hope the car unlock could be handled differently. Maybe use the quests coins?

First impressions on the game:
At first, I was a bit disappointed because I thought I could use my MFI controller, which isn't supported. I have to say though that the touch controls work quite well for the flips and spins in this game.

The challenges double as a tutorial and teach you the controls and game mechanics quite good, the integration seems better than in other games.
The only thing I really dislike was the REKT announcer. He did not sound cheesy enough to be funny again, he just sounds bad.

Overall, the gameplay is fun. While I can't see myself playing this for long sessions, I can see this being opened up for short bursts every now and then.

Wow, forgot that it was already that old. Anyway, remember people hyping it up when the port got released so I expected way more.

I noticed the same as the user you quoted. I thought that was a bit weird and hope the car unlock could be handled differently. Maybe use the quests coins?

First impressions on the game:
At first, I was a bit disappointed because I thought I could use my MFI controller, which isn't supported. I have to say though that the touch controls work quite well for the flips and spins in this game.

The challenges double as a tutorial and teach you the controls and game mechanics quite good, the integration seems better than in other games.
The only thing I really dislike was the REKT announcer. He did not sound cheesy enough to be funny again, he just sounds bad.

Overall, the gameplay is fun. While I can't see myself playing this for long sessions, I can see this being opened up for short bursts every now and then.

Rekt is totally meant to be played in short bursts! Basically a two minute adrenaline rush to a highscore. You can also use the coins towards unlocking cars with the spinner.

Mfi support is planned for a future update.

I'll tell our soundguy, maybe he can be more funny. Thanks for the feedback!

awp69

Rekt is totally meant to be played in short bursts! Basically a two minute adrenaline rush to a highscore. You can also use the coins towards unlocking cars with the spinner.

I’d love for some sort of campaign mode with your engine. Great game though!

nampad

Is there a site where you can look up how well a game runs on a certain Iphone generation?
Kinda like howlongtobeat and the system requirement pages for PC games.

Maybe he can record several different REKT comments, would also make it a bit more variable ;)
In the end, you will here the sound quite often.

awp69

Thanks! What do you mean by a campaign mode?

Guess I mean like levels or something as opposed to just trying to get high scores. I’m not huge on high score games. Still have fun playing around though.

Wouldn’t mind another game someday that’s a racer. You have a great game engine.

awp69

Pitta, if you’re reading, I saw you post something on TA about some announcement on Warhammer Quest? What’s that about?

PittaGAF

Pitta, if you’re reading, I saw you post something on TA about some announcement on Warhammer Quest? What’s that about?

It’s their mailing list....they announced the game is imminent with a recap of what they announced so far plus they announced a big expansion DLC will be avaible on day one (spoiler, it’s pretty great).

awp69

It’s their mailing list....they announced the game is imminent with a recap of what they announced so far plus they announced a big expansion DLC will be avaible on day one (spoiler, it’s pretty great).

Wish instead they’d announce an early release!!!

PittaGAF

For the ones interested, starting heroes for Warhammer Quest: End Times has been officially announced.

The Empire Captain.
The Wood Elf Glade Guard.
The Dark Elf Sorceress.
The Vampire Blood Knight.

Full thread on TA: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=303077&page=13

Also, first (massive) DLC announced, avaible on day one (that’s tomorrow night).

SkavenAddon.jpg

awp69

For the ones interested, starting heroes for Warhammer Quest: End Times has been officially announced.

The Empire Captain.
The Dark Elf Sorceress.

Full thread on TA: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=303077&page=13

Also, first (massive) DLC announced, avaible on day one (that’s tomorrow night).

Will that DLC be an additional IAP? Not that I mind but always a little irritating when a dev releases paid DLC alongside the game’s initial release.

PittaGAF

Will that DLC be an additional IAP? Not that I mind but always a little irritating when a dev releases paid DLC alongside the game’s initial release.

Yes.
It’s a big additional campaign that offer same content of the main one (and probably more).
Think WHQ additional regions, just day one (more are planned).
You will want to buy it :)
But you can safely wait till you completed the first one.

DAMN!!!!! Just suffered a TPK!!!!

awp69

Yes.
It’s a big additional campaign that offer same content of the main one (and probably more).
Think WHQ additional regions, just day one (more are planned).
You will want to buy it :)
But you can safely wait till you completed the first one.

DAMN!!!!! Just suffered a TPK!!!!

What’s the size of the game anyway? Gotta start thinking about what I can delete to make room!

PittaGAF

What’s the size of the game anyway? Gotta start thinking about what I can delete to make room!

1,9 Gb.
It support iCloud save and sync.

Took me basically all the night to recover from last TPK.
I was sloppy and I really paid for it.
Awesome.

I remember playing the first Warhammer Quest. Got bored of it due to the combat. Just blocked the entrance with two warriors and killed everything. Didn't even bother to see if it would get better.

Is the new game any better in the combat department? What's different in the new game?

PittaGAF

I remember playing the first Warhammer Quest. Got bored of it due to the combat. Just blocked the entrance with two warriors and killed everything. Didn't even bother to see if it would get better.

Is the new game any better in the combat department? What's different in the new game?

Hmmmmm it’s difficult to say, as I had a totally different experience with the original one, which is one of my fav games of all time and I played for over 400 hours so probably I can’t give you the best advice.

Black Dungeon in WHQ on hardcore (only way to play the game, other modes are boring) are still quite difficult, expecially if you get ambushed (and you will, if you just wait for enemies to come down to you).
A simple vampire lord or a necromancer on the other side of the dungeon can insta kill everyone if you are not super fast taking him down.

Said that....it’s been years I never experienced a total party kill in these games....and yet I was just totally demolished yesterday night in WHQ2 (and was not the first time).
There is LOS, it’s in 3D and the character grow, the skill system and inventory are totally different.
It still feels Warhammer Quest (the boardgame) but imho it’s the better game for sure.
If you didn’t like the first one tough, I don’t know.
While different in many compartments, the fun/engagement is the same, at least for me.
It’s, imho, fantasy dungeon crawling at its finest, hands down.
It helps it also looks amazing on recent devices.

Yesterday, for example (I already played around 40 hours) I found some never seen before equipment...a spell in particular is amazing. It literally transform to dust your opponent and the glowing effect reflects on the Empire Captain armour....it’s something really little and probably many won’t notice, but this attention to detail makes game a labor of love.
(Yes I like the game very much in case it wasn’t clear :p)

Hmmmmm it’s difficult to say, as I had a totally different experience with the original one, which is one of my fav games of all time and I played for over 400 hours so probably I can’t give you the best advice.

Black Dungeon in WHQ on hardcore (only way to play the game, other modes are boring) are still quite difficult, expecially if you get ambushed (and you will, if you just wait for enemies to come down to you).
A simple vampire lord or a necromancer on the other side of the dungeon can insta kill everyone if you are not super fast taking him down.

Said that....it’s been years I never experienced a total party kill in these games....and yet I was just totally demolished yesterday night in WHQ2 (and was not the first time).
There is LOS, it’s in 3D and the character grow, the skill system and inventory are totally different.
It still feels Warhammer Quest (the boardgame) but imho it’s the better game for sure.
If you didn’t like the first one tough, I don’t know.
While different in many compartments, the fun/engagement is the same, at least for me.
It’s, imho, fantasy dungeon crawling at its finest, hands down.
It helps it also looks amazing on recent devices.

Yesterday, for example (I already played around 40 hours) I found some never seen before equipment...a spell in particular is amazing. It literally transform to dust your opponent and the glowing effect reflects on the Empire Captain armour....it’s something really little and probably many won’t notice, but this attention to detail makes game a labor of love.
(Yes I like the game very much in case it wasn’t clear :p)

Yes, I can tell. Hehehe.

Hope you can give a full review of the game when it comes out. I'll also be waiting for more gameplay and video reviews before I decide to purchase. I've already been burned many times by buying games day one. LOL. I've learned my lesson.

awp69

Returner 77 does look cool, but gotta save that precious space for WHQ 2. I’m also wanting Runic Rampage (action RPG) that was submitted yesterday so could be out later this week or next.

The Empire Captain.
The Dark Elf Sorceress.

Do you know if they’ve done any work on personalities for each hero? I obviously don’t want chatting to get in the way of the game, but it would be fun to hear what a soldier of the empire thinks about having to work with a blood knight.

PittaGAF

Do you know if they've done any work on personalities for each hero? I obviously don't want chatting to get in the way of the game, but it would be fun to hear what a soldier of the empire thinks about having to work with a blood knight.

Well, without giving away anything, I can say it's explained in the story part why they are working together....it's the End Times if you are familiar with the Games Workshop lore.
No Balder's Gate like banter tough, if that's what you were asking.
But....and I hope they won't kill me for saying this....you are free to to use the heroes you want as you please if you have them.
Meaning....while the Vampire knight is an awesome character, I don't like it thematically (never liked Vampires, anywhere) so I'm not using it in my new game (I've used it for testing pourposes of course, he is really badasss).

Speaking of the Empire Captain...I was never really a fan of the GW miniatures but I must say they are awesome in this game.
So much that I use 2 together almost always, and I had even a full Empire Man at arms party.

Freedom is the key here, both in what you want to use (after a certain game point....let's say end of tutorial which is quite long but very well done) and how you want to develop said heroes...you can have them cover almost any role you want, you aren't stuck with their usual tropes (more or less).

awp69

Testing Armello on iOS and, having played it on PS4, I can tell you that it’s another game that’s a better fit for mobile with the touch screen.

Top Bottom