• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: PS4 Used Game DRM (EDIT: but now apparently on hold)

unbias

You're looking at this in an overly-simplified way.

There's competition between MS/Sony/Nintendo. They want you to buy the multiplatform games on THEIR store (just like Steam wants you to buy the games on THEIR store!).

There's also competition amongst publishers. If publishers can change their prices on the fly, they'll use price as a competitive tool against their competition. This is proven on iOS. To be fully realized, you can't have the influence of physical stores, though. This is where competitive pricing can be most obvious.

Bold - I'm not sure if you are being serious, since you are comparing 2 very different markets.

Underlined - This is just wrong. The competition differences between the open systems of the PC market is in a completely different world. The difference between MS/Sony/Nintendo is as close as you can get to the cable companies . The money you need to invest for each system is quite high(increased barrier of entry), and what comes with this is a completely controlled environment, where if you dont like what they offer the only option is switching to the competition, which is another heavy investment. Because the price of entry and how closed each system is, combined with how the consoles have no OS competition leaves very little incentive to adjust price, beyond making sure you dont go higher then the other guy.

The difference of how competition works between the PC and the console companies simply isn't the same. IF you don't like the DD service of Xboxone/sony you dont have the option to use steam or GOG with your system, you are stuck with what you have, beyond everyone else.

Uncharted 4

The feeling of EA slowly sucking your soul away.

Sony exclusives...which are pretty damn amazing imo

Any console exclusives.

Money from having to upgrade 4 years later.

Halo 6.

God of War 8.

Interactive movies.

So nothing of any importance. :)

It's up in the air for both of them. It's software DRM, they can change it the day before it comes out if they want to.

Do not be surprised if BOTH Microsoft and Sony completely abandon used game DRM because of the backlash. I think we're marching toward that. Ultimately, the publishers have to bow before the two of those companies. If Microsoft and Sony decide that they're firmly against it the publishers have no choice in the matter.

Haunted

Maybe it's my denial, but I see zero fucking weight behind Geoff's word. Have his "sources" been on the money?
As an highly effective yet unofficial marketing arm, Keighley has excellent relations with most publishers and developers.

Sony doesn't need to do anything.

The fact that publishers have an anti-used games policy available on the Xbox One will inevitably come to see them adopting the same attitude on the PS4. Microsoft must have been aware of that before introducing their policy.

Why would they forfeit the potential revenue from tens of millions of Sony customers?

It makes perfect sense. This is a change within the industry, not within a certain publisher or manufacturer

Hrothgar

"based on some of the things i'm hearing i dont think thats entirely true"

has spawned a

thread, wow.

Are you surprised?

---

What I don't understand is this; couldn't publishers just implement their own DRM similar to PC (ie. link the games to a UPlay/Origin/etc. account) to combat used games on consoles? This wouldn't even have to be always on, as their PC counterparts have offline modes.

Sean*O

Love how people are saying this. Automatic sign of what "team" you're on.

Again, EA dropped online passes for all systems. All signs are pointing to the PS4 having some type of restrictions on used games.

So not giving in to what the big 3rd party AAA devs want will be better for the Playstation brand?

I'm not on any "Team" that's a concept exclusive to you. Check my post history, I've been here a Long time and was 100% supportive of Xbox 360 before and after launch because I was tired of Sony's lies and marketing BS back when the PS3 was being launched.

Use your head.

jabuseika

If Sony does it, I'm out of the console market completely.

I'll upgrade my PC and join the master race full time.

If have to deal with same DRM as I do on PC, just might as well keep all my games in one place.

DieH@rd

Banned
Or in other words, in practice it'll be nearly identical to the situation on Xbone (every title from every major publisher is locked down with awful DRM)

Except, sony will support offline gaming, which means that games will not be abble to totally be connected to user accounts. However, publishers may chose to adopt "online requirement" for every game they release.

Majukun

i swear,seems like some people are HOPING that sony will follow microsoft in this bullshit just so they can say "see?microsoft it's not THAT evil or stupid,other companies are equally evil or stupid"

Linkhero1

I'll wait for official word from Sony. I don't want to be a Wii U only gamer this gen. I hope they don't go the same route but it seems more and more likely they will.

People need to stop acting like this is set in stone. Let's wait untill we have more info. Reacting to something Geoff might have just pulled out of his ass just makes us look silly.
I'm expecting bad news but I'm not getting up in arms over some line randomly dropped by Geoff Keighley.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Or in other words, in practice it'll be nearly identical to the situation on Xbone (every title from every major publisher is locked down with awful DRM) but they'll get a lot of forum plaudits for the fig leaf of the feature being "optional." For example:

They won't have it optional for third parties, either. They simply wont do it because (a) Japan is still a viable market for them who has a large used game industry, (b) there is no online requirement (though they could use that chip patent) and (c) virtually no inside sources indicate this is happening like there was with MS, only the idea of "well if MS is doing it then Sony will. Gotta please the publishers!"

Sony's silence is ridiculously telling. This the same company that would mock at any moment possible. The fact it has not released a single statement despite it having released previous ones tells of the direction they are going. How much is the question rather than if.

Tell me more

It definitely seems like the misleading thread title based on a vague statement has started some odd celebrating, you'd think another company doing DRM would be a horrible thing.

famousmortimer confirmed this.

It's coming, sorry guys.

He said the opposite in this thread.

DesertFox

This meltdown....
indiana-jones-popcorn.gif

has spawned a

thread, wow.

yup, in a nut shell, pathetic ass MS and Nintendo fanboys looking for anything to spread FUD, this WHOLE fucking thread because of what the Doritos pope THINKS based he's heard, what are going to do though man.....

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm not on any "Team" that's a concept exclusive to you. Check my post history, I've been here a Long time and was 100% supportive of Xbox 360 before and after launch because I was tired of Sony's lies and marketing BS back when the PS3 was being launched.

Use your head.

Then why make the silly assumption that people are saying this just to make MS/Xbox One look better?

ManeKast

I can swallow the used game DRM on the Sony/MS new consoles, personally, I hate it but I can close my eyes and swallow it.

What I can not swallow is the MS 24hr connectivity check. Fingers crossed Sony come up with something a little less intrusive than this. I'm scared.

emb

I'm sure he knows many things I don't... but in this case I get the impression he wasn't talking about any inside knowledge. just reading and interpreting the quotes and interview answers so far make it clear that something is amiss, we just don't know yet how bad or widespread the damage is.

My thought is that they won't do anything system wide, but will facilitate publishers that want to require DRM (likely including themselves). Be it through NFC or Internet check ins.

Grecco

Makes no sense for one company to do it and the other not to follow suit. Ill be shocked if Sony doesnt have it

has spawned a

thread, wow.

I wonder how many people actually watched the vid before posting a reply.

I hope Sony doesn't go along with this bullshit, but the best case scenario is probably them leaving it up to the publishers to decide.

theDeeDubs

Really curious how this will work then. I don't see Sony having the ability to set up such a long reaching used game retail system like the one MS seems to be setting up.

teiresias

Or in other words, in practice it'll be nearly identical to the situation on Xbone (every title from every major publisher is locked down with awful DRM) but they'll get a lot of forum plaudits for the fig leaf of the feature being "optional." For example:

The main difference in the approaches is that someone acting on principle can avoid publishers that use DRM and reward publishers that don't on PS4, whereas on the XBone there's no room for anything not using DRM and to speak with one's wallet in that regard.

I'd still be surprised if it's any different from what Sony currently allows on PS3, and regardless of that, even if Sony were to say 100% that they wouldn't implement online DRM there's nothing to stop a publisher from setting the infrastructure up to do so unless Sony is willing to write restrictions on DRM into the policies they use for allowing software to be published for the system.

ari

Banned
I know for a fact that this DRM shit won't bother me...because its not always online or some extreme shit.

But i'll be getting both ps4 and x1 because of the games and not because they feel like piracy fucked them this gen and feel like they should do something about it. All the power to them.

i swear,seems like some people are HOPING that sony will follow microsoft in this bullshit just so they can say "see?microsoft it's not THAT evil or stupid,other companies are equally evil or stupid"

I hope they do just to see how people who have laid it on so thick this week will react. I'm just here for amusement.

unbias

People need to stop acting like this is set in stone. Let's wait untill we have more info. Reacting to something Geoff might have just pulled out of his ass just makes us look silly.
I'm expecting bad news but I'm not getting up in arms over some line randomly dropped by Geoff Keighley.

But honestly, Microsoft's policies on this so far wouldn't even make sense if Sony didn't touch how used games work.

Top Bottom