• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm |OT| Hella Walk with Me

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i kinda wish the prequel was focused on Max. she was, to me, the main character of the game. i like Chloe but would've prefered Max. yet we only get a bonus episode with her.

do we know if Max will be in the sequel or is the bonus episode the last we'll see of her?

i kinda wish the prequel was focused on Max. she was, to me, the main character of the game. i like Chloe but would've prefered Max. yet we only get a bonus episode with her.

do we know if Max will be in the sequel or is the bonus episode the last we'll see of her?

We don't know
but there's a chance Max can make an appearance in those dream sequences.

Clegg

I'd imagine trying to settle in at a new location just comes with its own stressful situations of adapting and thus connection to the old home just involuntary fades away... and is slowly forgotten.

Edit: I know from myself that this is true; contact just sometimes ceases. I know of only a singular person left in my home town.

I'll need to read those messages and journal on my 2nd time through. Somehow forgot about it whilst playing.
Keeping in touch is definitely a hard thing to do so it's hard be ultra critical of Max. But at the same time the game does a good job in putting you in Chloe's shoes. You know why she feels so hurt and betrayed by Max. Her life is gone to shit and she feels her best friend has abandoned her.

Reedirect

Max's last appearance will presumably be the bonus episode. I prefer her to Chloe as well, but her story doesn't have any holes a prequel could try to fill, it would probably end up being mostly fanservice – something I am still afraid of with BtS.

King_Moc

Banned
Finished this last night and it's really, really good. I expected a step down from the original, but nope, it's right up there. I'm hella impressed.

Glad to see so many positive reactions in here! I’m going to echo a lot of people’s sentiments and say how impressed I was by it. Went in expecting a solid but not excellent prequel. Episode 1 far exceeded my expectations and made me relate and feel things I wasn’t necessarily expecting to feel while playing it. Fantastic job by Deck Nine and looking forward to seeing what else they have in store for us!

I can't think of another example where a series has been continued by a totally different developer, and they manage to nail it so amazingly well.

Leeness

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but my deluxe extras still haven't "unlocked"? Any idea what's going on with that? :( I want to get my hella awesome costumes before starting to play.

NeoRaider

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but my deluxe extras still haven't "unlocked"? Any idea what's going on with that? :( I want to get my hella awesome costumes before starting to play.

Same here. Steam version. I only have one outfit available and it says that i can buy DE and i already have DE version of the game.

How many outfits are you supposed to have? I have mixtape mode, and still have the message about the deluxe edition.

Classic Chloe outfit was pre-order only.
Deluxe outfits are.
Punk Doe
Hawt Dawg Man
Illuminati

You just have to scroll the outfits in the drawer to select.

NeoRaider

Classic Chloe outfit was pre-order only.
Deluxe outfits are.
Punk Doe
Hawt Dawg Man
Illuminati

You just have to scroll the outfits in the drawer to select.

Are you supposed to have access to all of them in the first half hour? Because i was only able to select one white t-shirt.

Are you supposed to have access to all of them in the first half hour? Because i was only able to select one white t-shirt.
I found it kind of finicky. I chose that white shirt but found that when I went back I was able to choose others. I figured I wasn't pressing the right thing.

NeoRaider

Is that the music that's coming from Victoria's room at the beginning of episode 2? I just replayed it yesterday and I'm pretty sure it's that lol.

Yes it is!! I remember standing there next to her door to hear it better and trying to shazam it. XD Later so many ppl were trying to find the song online, and someone finally found it.
I think that it can also be heard in the club in Episode 4.

Moozo

Mine is saying "disconnected from network" on the main menu (PS4). Server overload? Will I still get to see eveyone's choices at the end

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the first episode, which I started yesterday. Took me 5 hours, and I replayed the final chapters to find the last two graffiti. Liked it a lot. It sucks that it still has the same audio problem as the first game, where the final words of a phrase will sometimes cut out. Also Denuvo, of course. But whatever, the game itself is hella good, and made me feel nostalgic for the original (which is weird because I only played it last year). It truly feels like more Life Is Strange, which is fantastic.

First time playing an episodic game before it's all out. It's probably going to be hard waiting for the next episode...

Redx508

first episode was hella good!

also xinput is not working on pc i had to use a ps4 pad. don't know if they fixed it yet

Ugh, that opening scene alone gave me chills. Even though I found Chloe annoying in the first game, I'm actually so happy to be seeing her (and some other familiar characters) again!

Love the OT title, might sink my teeth into the first episode after finishing tonight's Twin Peaks.

I jumped into the first Life Is Stranger just about EP4 was about to release and I fell in love with the atmosphere and still remember how I felt after every gut wrenching moment during the entire story, it really resonated with me. Hope this one delivers.

Necron

Mine is saying "disconnected from network" on the main menu (PS4). Server overload? Will I still get to see eveyone's choices at the end

Should work. It showed me the statistics despite having the same notification.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'd imagine trying to settle in at a new location just comes with its own stressful situations of adapting and thus connection to the old home just involuntary fades away... and is slowly forgotten.

Edit: I know from myself that this is true; contact just sometimes ceases. I know of only a singular person left in my home town.

I'll need to read those messages and journal on my 2nd time through. Somehow forgot about it whilst playing.

I have to agree. The change from school to university hit me way too hard. Insecurity, impostor syndrome, and other things just hit me from all sides and my friendships which should've been a good pillar to fall back on, were just abandoned by me.

Those texts end up hitting hard for me because I can totally identify, and it reminded me of the guilt and regret I had after finally recovering my friendships.

Do they knock the soundtrack out of the park like they did in LiS?

Yes! Daughter is pretty good and fits into Chloe's story just fine.

Goddammit I'm so tempted to pick this up.

DO IT.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yes! Daughter is pretty good and fits into Chloe's story just fine.
I thought I'd miss Jonathan Morali's score, but the music in Before the Storm can hold its own. I'll have to check Daughter later.

It's incredible how much good music one can discover through games. The original LiS got me into Syd Matters and Mogwai, Rock Band got me into several other bands, Hotline Miami revealed to me the wonderful world of synthwave, and now this could happen again with BtS.

Anteater

they did a good job with chloe in her perspective imo, David doesn't know how to express himself due to his background but the shit he say honestly will piss you off if you were Chloe

It's just occurred to me The Mill and the Train car at the start of the game is probably a Twin Peaks reference.
I mean, "Fire Walk" playing at the old Mill just screamed obvious Twin Peaks reference. I remember watching that scene in the 20 minute preview and thinking it was to on-the-nose.

kubus

Thanks to Kubus, who's original OT for Life is Strange helped as inspiration as a template for this OT in such short notice!
Awww thanks for the SO!

I saw that nobody claimed the OT for this and it reminded me of the OT for the original LiS, when the OT-claimer disappeared and we didn't have a OT for a couple of days until I quickly threw something together. Funny how that kinda happened again :p. I would've claimed it if I wasn't super busy and could actually play it on release. Thanks for coming to the rescue! :D

I'm so excited to play this but being in Japan right now I won't have access to a PC or PS4 until the end of this month so I have to wait a bit before I can play it properly! A similar thing happened during LiS S1, when I went to Japan on a study exchange somewhere between the release of Ep 2 and Ep 3 and I had to play the rest of the episodes on my shitty laptop with graphics turned all the way down lol. Now that it's happened again (but kinda in a reverse scenario) I'll probably forever associate Life is Strange with Japan.

Speaking of which, a Japanese localization of Before the Storm was announced today. I've always wanted to check out the Japanese dub of LiS, and I think I'll pick up a Japanese copy before I leave :).

Anyways, I'm so happy that BtS turned out so well! I don't want to admit it but I was kinda worried about it, with it being in the shadow of the real S2, and the stuff going on with Ashley Burch, "unnecessary prequel" complaints, etc. Kudos to the dev team!

Top Bottom