• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

sephiroth7x

That Eurogamer review... hats off to them, that is a great review by someone who seems to genuinely know what they are talking about.

I wont be buying GT, but am always glad when it does well. Reminds me of my youth when I could be bothered with racing games...

GenericUser

For me, the most important aspect is how the game encourages fair play online play. This is where all other console Sims fall flat. Even pc2. Online racing with strangers is impossible without some penalty system.

Oh and the superb graphics and wide selection of dream cars also doesn't hurt.

Good that early reviews emphasize the fairness aspect.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
80 will be the minimum review score imo. The biggest hurdle this game will be is lack of content. But no respectable reviewer will be able to deny the high polish and quality of those content thats available.

I wish PD have announce their dlc road map or schedule similar to how Driveclub does it. It will help lessen the lack of content problem imo.

That DLC road map Evolution did was fantastic, it showed you what you were getting for your season pass or if you needed one. Such a great idea, shame hardly any other companies have taken that one board.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I haven't really paid attention to this game so can someone just tell me how many tracks it has and what the single player modes are? ie does it have any tournaments spanning multiple tracks and can you do basic time trials?

Go read the OT, it’s on the front page.

But so far the solo campaign is a massive set of events and challenges. Haven’t seen any championships yet, but lots of race events. There is enough to keep busy, but it’s gold medal chasing moreso than the career progression of older titles.

im_dany

Wait... are you suggesting a review embargo is worse than lootboxes?

A full embargo until d1 looks too shady to me, not saying anything about GTS (reviews looks really good until now), there have been too many examples of games being deliberately hidden until D1 to avoid backlash on preorders (like Destiny, Watchdogs, Driveclub, Colonial Marines, MCC multiplayer) and I don't understand why people is ok with that, and instead keep bringing up lootboxes whenever they can.

Not saying one is good and one is bad, they're both bad, but I think D1 embargos should be a top complaint from us players.

GlamFM

Banned
A full embargo until d1 looks too shady to me, not saying anything about GTS (reviews looks really good until now), there have been too many examples of games being deliberately hidden until D1 to avoid backlash on preorders (like Destiny, Watchdogs, Driveclub, Colonial Marines, MCC multiplayer) and I don't understand why people is ok with that, and instead keep bringing up lootboxes whenever they can.

Not saying one is good and one is bad, they're both bad, but I think D1 embargos should be a top complaint from us players.

D1 embargos are often in place to make sure D1 patches are taken into account and servers are up and running.

The hotfix for consumers is to never pre-order games and wait for reviews.

They are both bad, but fuck me, loot boxes are cancerous!

Reviews are better than expected tbh, it's good to see credit for taking online racing and respect for opponents more seriously.

The online focus shouldn't be an excuse for jettisoning some perfectly good assets or eviscerating the usual SP campaign.

John Wick

It's looks like it'll review better than I expected, I guess it shows just how good what is there is.

And knowing Kaz's ambition the game will continue to improve with cars and tracks being added. Demo was fantastic so the reviews should be great.

Behlel

This is an online focused game, do you think that it's right to review a game withouth pointing out the stability of the server and the quality of the online portion itself?

Razgreez

Is the singleplayer format comparable to DriveClub?

Not at all. It's far more gradual and "guided". DC was more a case of here's a car (or 5), here's a track (or 3) and a race condition (day, night, wet, dry, dynamic etc.) here's a game type i.e. drift, race, point-to-point etc. and here's a championship every now and then.

In GT it's more, learn to brake, learn to steer, learn to corner in different ways with different types of cars and on different types of surfaces. Then use all of that to learn to race and learn the nuances of the different tracks, learn to manage strategy, and in the process find the cars that you enjoy driving the most. I'm not sure if "learn to adjust setup" is in there but I would presume so as it is a key part of maximising performance

John Wick

But you had the demo to try the game out yourself. Why do you need a review??? Surely playing it yourself will be far better than someone else's opinion?

Solid scores so far. Best review was from Eurogamer.

Whoever wrote that review has a deep appreciation for sims and you can tell he/she knows what they are talking about.

magawolaz

For me, the most important aspect is how the game encourages fair play online play. This is where all other console Sims fall flat. Even pc2. Online racing with strangers is impossible without some penalty system.

Oh and the superb graphics and wide selection of dream cars also doesn't hurt.

Good that early reviews emphasize the fairness aspect.
YMMV but I reached SR "S" by the end of the demo and had a lot of clean races.
Not sure about PC2 but I thought it had a similar rating system (maybe it just doesn't have matchmaking?)

Anyway I was really impressed with GT Sport demo, I can see myself spending a lot of time in Sport mode.
Martin Robinson's review is great, you can see he's passionate about the genre. Gamesport review is a mess, failing to acknowledge Tag (sic) Heuer's importance is embarassing.
Apparently this guy is the same who didn't even finish Crash Remastered Trilogy before reviewing it.

Behlel

Wait... are you suggesting a review embargo is worse than lootboxes?

He's a member of a lot of italian xbox fan community, better known as DnL94 and he's well know as a troll in some of the biggest italian gaming forum, just don't listen to him lol

Yjynx

Martin Robinson's review is great, you can see he's passionate about the genre. Gamesport review is a mess, failing to acknowledge Tag (sic) Heuer's importance is embarassing.
Apparently this guy is the same who didn't even finish Crash Remastered Trilogy before reviewing it.
He's entitled to his opinion but I found it weird about TAG though.... I'm not a huge fan of Racing genre but even I know about them.. so it kind of ...... I don't know......

John Wick

On paper this is a 6, on the track its a 9. Nothing feels this good and this smooth on the dualshocks, and its just polished to a shine and stylish across the board. And on a Pro with the Quality preset the IQ is as good as it gets, all at a locked 60fps (w/ Quality replays at 30fps). The audio here is also drastically improved.

This game grabs you real quick and knows how to hold on.

Damn it, I should be asleep right now. But I'm curious about these early reviews and reviews-in-progress.

Couldn't have said it better

Chrisdk

I selfishly had hoped for lower scores because of the lack of a "proper" GT single player campaign. I only play two racing games, Forza Horizon and GT and i really wanted a normal GT. Oh well at least it will benefit GT7 that the racing seems good in GT Sport.

I'll probably pick up GT Sport when it's cheaper.

shaneo632

Glad to hear it's reviewing well. The demo bored me to tears, I think Forza Horizon 3 has ruined most other racing games for me, especially ones that aren't designed to be fun.

I'll probably rent it to try the VR mode and see if the full game is anymore appealing to me.

magawolaz

He's entitled to his opinion but I found it weird about TAG though.... I'm not a huge fan of Racing genre but even I know about them.. so it kind of ...... I don't know......
Oh totally. I'm sure he has good intentions, it just rubs me the wrong way

GlamFM

Banned
I selfishly had hoped for lower scores because of the lack of a "proper" GT single player campaign. I only play two racing games, Forza Horizon and GT and i really wanted a normal GT. Oh well at least it will benefit GT7 that the racing seems good in GT Sport.

I'll probably pick up GT Sport when it's cheaper.

What I really want is basically a GT3 HD remaster.

The best racing game of all time.

John Wick

Glad to hear it's reviewing well. The demo bored me to tears, I think Forza Horizon 3 has ruined most other racing games for me, especially ones that aren't designed to be fun.

I'll probably rent it to try the VR mode and see if the full game is anymore appealing to me.

Fun? So this game isn't fun to play? Did you ever try the online races?

GenericUser

YMMV but I reached SR "S" by the end of the demo and had a lot of clean races.
Not sure about PC2 but I thought it had a similar rating system (maybe it just doesn't have matchmaking?)

Pc2 does not have the same system. There is no matchmaking in pc2 and the host of a lobby has to manually set for which kind of driver he wants to open the lobby. So unless you encounter competent randoms (cough), there is a lot that can go wrong in pc2 online. There is "sportsmanship rating" in pc2 though.

There is nothing more infuriating then being bumped off course by a bad loser. I completely lose interest in the game when this is the norm rather then the exception.

Does GTS have matchmaking? Genuinely asking because I spent not much time with the demo.

dracula_x

Fun? So this game isn't fun to play? Did you ever try the online races?

yeah. especially then even negative reviews mention that gameplay (driving) is fun.

for example, GameSpot:

I can say that when I'm not shaking my head at strange limitations and designs, I genuinely enjoy driving in GT Sport--that's one thing Polyphony Digital hasn't lost sight of.

It is designed to be fun but track racing fun rather than open world in cars fun which are very different things.

Your fun = my fun?

Tomeru

Not sure I appreciate all of the comparisons to Forza. They're the top two racing games out there, sure, but it's not like PS4 owners can go get Forza instead.

Playstation owners have been playing forza since 97. Some still want to play it. Some are greatful for this change (me among them). Online competition is still very foreign and scary to most though.

magawolaz

Pc2 does not have the same system. There is no matchmaking in pc2 and the host of a lobby has to manually set for which kind of driver he wants to open the lobby. So unless you encounter competent randoms (cough), there is a lot that can go wrong in pc2 online. There is "sportsmanship rating" in pc2 though.

There is nothing more infuriating then being bumped off course by a bad loser. I completely lose interest in the game when this is the norm rather then the exception.

Does GTS have matchmaking? Genuinely asking because I spent not much time with the demo.
Ah thanks. Yes, Sport Mode is essentially matchmaking w/ Driver and Sportsmanship Ratings (DR, SR). The game matches you with other people similar in skill and fairness. Works better the more you play, for obvious reasons.

Also in lobbies you can require a minimum SR level, I guess like PC2.

King_Moc

Banned

It's definitely designed to be fun, you just don't like it. Horizons 'arcade' style handling was boring to me.

dracula_x

Really now...

Anyway, the gamespot preview is something extremely wierd to read. It is obvious that he is against the online focus from the get go.

to be fair, Polyphony Digital were saying since the beginning that it will be online focused game. So it's like complaining on Overwatch or any other multiplayer focused game.

Fukuzatsu

You can say this about a lot of games these days, but Metacritic should really employ some kind of moderation or something on the user ratings for games like this.

For GT Sport, there are currently a number of negative scores of 0, one of which is just "Playstation 1 graphics forza 7 is better" copy-pasted 10 times. I think there is just cause to be upset about the shift in single-player content, and obviously everyone has their own view on how good a game is, but review-bombing is no good.

ethomaz

Banned

So do you like reviews of incomplete and/or unplayable games?

All reviews should be made after the game resealed in my opinion... everything before that is just a preview.

It is the same with movies... you have Reviews after debut on theaters and not before it.

Veon

Neo Member
Source please or gtfo with the ad hominems.

Your first post in the review thread for FM7 was questioning Theorry's motives about a review because he found it weird.

Are you as the author of the thread supposed to censor which review scores are allowed in your opening post?

All we are saying is that you don't look so favourable in that thread.

Here's the thread if anyone wants to read it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1439867

EDIT: Theorry even added the review, lol.

FDC1

I would think publishers who want to hide their game until release day generally don't offer the opportunity for everyone to play for days a very large and representative demo of their game but that's maybe just me.

Top Bottom