• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo fixing "gay bug" in Tomodachi Collection: New Life

Neiteio

A storm is coming
6060612783_34a2318158_z.jpg
24253213.jpg

images-31.jpg

Daingurse

Meh, men obviously can't give birth, but no reason they shouldn't be allowed to marry in-game. There's an area where Bioware is trying to do some good, that I never had an issue with.

Life finds a way, lol.

tumblr_mharydVR3w1s2r9z3o1_1359312133_cover.jpg

Ezalc

Them having off spring I can completely understand as Two men can't have a baby together.

Them removing the option to be gay kinda shocks me. They have things like Captian Rainbow, Birdo and Tingle and while these aren't flat out homosexuals, they have tons of themes that come across as gay and Nintendo hasn't been big on censoring for a long time despite them having a reputation of doing so.

I thought the only one of these that was gay was Birdo. As far as I know the other two aren't? Has that changed in one of their games recently?

Beth Cyra

I thought the only one of these that was gay was Birdo. As far as I know the other two aren't? Has that changed in one of their games recently?

I'n my post, it says they aren't Homosexual's, but have themes. As far as Captain Rainbow goes, it's features Birdo and doing quests for him. Which is why Captain Rainbow was brought up, not because of the flashy stuff with the lead.

Eusis

Tingle only gets that due to the whole "I want to be a fairy!" thing, but if you just look at the ART for those games you can tell he clearly wants to score with women. I guess he'd still count as flamboyant, but flamboyant's not the same as being gay at all. And Birdo's a portion of Captain Rainbow for whatever that's worth, notably the most significant depiction of Birdo touching LGBT topics, everything else kind of dodged it but (weirdly enough) the SMB2 manual.

Berordn

I'n my post, it says they aren't Homosexual's, but have themes. As far as Captain Rainbow goes, it's features Birdo and doing quests for him. Which is why Captain Rainbow was brought up, not because of the flashy stuff with the lead.

Tingle's a super hetero womanizer who freaks out at the thought of doing anything with a guy. Half of his motivation for doing anything is to score chicks.

What "themes" does he have? He's strange and quirky so he must be dem gays?

Beth Cyra

Tingle's a super hetero womanizer who freaks out at the thought of doing anything with a guy. Half of his motivation for doing anything is to score chicks.

What "themes" does he have? He's strange and quirky so he must be dem gays?

I never maid that claim so don't bother.

Tingle wether rightly or wrongly is often associated with Gay's (wrongly mind) because of the male dressing up as a fairy.

The larger point even if Tingle was used because of how others view him and not really how Nintendo uses him, is that Nintendo has been a company that has allowed Gay characters in the past, be it themes or flat out homosexuality, so it was a shock that something like this game wouldn't allow for it.

More so on because of products like the Sims 3 which is on the same platform and also a life simiulator, albiet a very different kind and it allows for all sorts of relationships.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Eh, I see this as more of a Nintendo doesn't want to get involved in politics or stuff like that instead of actually "hating" homosexuality or somesuch.

Berordn

The larger point even if Tingle was used because of how others view him and not really how Nintendo uses him, is that Nintendo has been a company that has allowed Gay characters in the past, be it themes or flat out homosexuality, so it was a shock that something like this game wouldn't allow for it.

And then they stopped featuring the character in the mainline games and never bothered localizing the two games that defined him as a character... so in spite of him not being a homoseuxal, his potential appearance as a homosexual ultimately ruined him and he was never heard from again?

You're not really making much sense, if anything using Tingle as an example ends up reinforcing their action here.

Artemisia

Banned
Eh, I see this as more of a Nintendo doesn't want to get involved in politics or stuff like that instead of actually "hating" homosexuality or somesuch.

That's pretty shitty too. In that case they would just be perpetuating the status quo that prevents gays from being presented in the media.

Beth Cyra

And then they stopped featuring the character in the mainline games and never bothered localizing the two games that defined him as a character... so in spite of him not being a homoseuxal, his potential appearance as a homosexual ultimately ruined him and he was never heard from again?

You're not really making much sense.

There was no negativeness for Tingle's being viewed as Gay at all. I'm not sure why your continuing this.

I however will just let you have whatever arguement youare having be won on whatever grounds. As I've stated, because of everything in Nintendo's past, it surprised me that Gay/Lesbian isn't something possible in a game of this nature.

Eusis

I never maid that claim so don't bother.

Tingle wether rightly or wrongly is often associated with Gay's (wrongly mind) because of the male dressing up as a fairy.

More so on because of products like the Sims 3 which is on the same platform and also a life simiulator, albiet a very different kind and it allows for all sorts of relationships.
Tingle's not a valid example if they didn't actually intend him to be homosexual though. We're talking about them straight out patching inadvertent gay relationships, citing Tingle as an example of allowing that in the past when he was pointedly not gay just doesn't work as one's the assumption of a player and the other's an actual intent that's executed.

Plus people's bad reactions to Tingle in the US go far beyond "he must be a gay", guy can just come off creepy as hell and excessively off putting, at an extreme seen as an attack on older game fans.

Berordn

I however will just let you have whatever arguement youare having be won on whatever grounds. As I've stated, because of everything in Nintendo's past, it surprised me that Gay/Lesbian isn't something possible in a game of this nature.

I'm just trying to figure out what it is in Nintendo's past that makes you think it's odd for them to remove it. Tingle got the ax as a recurring character, Birdo's backstory varies wildly from region to region, Captain Rainbow plays it for laughs. They've never been particularly supportive of homosexual characters.

Hell, even the recent Fire Emblem axes support for it even when previous entries let you.

Beth Cyra

Tingle's not a valid example if they didn't actually intend him to be homosexual though. We're talking about them straight out patching inadvertent gay relationships, citing Tingle as an example of allowing that in the past when he was pointedly not gay just doesn't work as one's the assumption of a player and the other's an actual intent that's executed.

Plus people's bad reactions to Tingle in the US go far beyond "he must be a gay", guy can just come off creepy as hell and excessively off putting, at an extreme seen as an attack on older game fans.

Fair enough. Tingle isn't. It doesn't change Fire Emblem, Birdo, and the recent outing in Captain Rainbow.

So my overall point stands, though one of my pillars for it was a failure.

I'm just trying to figure out what it is in Nintendo's past that makes you think it's odd for them to remove it. Tingle got the ax as a recurring character, Birdo's backstory varies wildly from region to region, Captain Rainbow plays it for laughs. They've never been particularly supportive of homosexual characters.

Fire Emblem has had them as well. As for why? I don't know. I just did. Maybe wrongly so.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That's pretty shitty too. In that case they would just be perpetuating the status quo that prevents gays from being presented in the media.

Well, I didn't say it's the right thing to do.

I just see it as Nintendo doesn't want to be bothered by it, is all. They just want to be 'neutral' and do not want to get involved in the battle between pro and against homosexuality.

Also, I am not sure about how Japan folks view homosexuality. I know Yaoi mangas is a thing there, but other than that, I honestly have no clue.

Artemisia

Banned
I just see it as Nintendo doesn't want to be bothered by it, is all. They just want to be 'neutral' and do not want to get involved in the battle between pro and against homosexuality.

But wouldn't you say that by being 'neutral' you are aiding the side that is against it? How is avoiding the representation of homosexual relationships in your media a neutral position?

The bug in question, for those not aware, allows for two male characters to fall in love, marry one another, and produce offspring. It doesn't work between female characters, supposedly. The bug can occur when one has Miis that have been moved to the 3DS using the Mii transfer software.

Goddammit...

randomkid

You just helped crystallize for me exactly why I think Tingle is awesome. An attack on one of gaming's worst fanbases, of course I'd love that haha. Anything designed to piss off people who have participated seriously in timeline discussions is worth unqualified support.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
But wouldn't you say that by being 'neutral' you are aiding the side that is against it? How is avoiding the representation of homosexual relationships in your media a neutral position?

Well, this is just my guess about their possible motives of removing this bug though. I guess they just want to play it 'safe'.

*scratches head*

I don't know why, but I feel like we are now talking more about *my* position instead of *my assumption of Nintendo's position* here.

Agreed.

Fix the male "pregnancy" part, but enable marriage and adoption for same sex couples, male and female.

Agreed. I wish people would just get the fuck over it. You don't want your kids to know about homosexuality? Way to alienate all of the gay/bi kids out there. You do realize your orientation before your first sexual experiences, when you realize your playground crushes go the "wrong" way, or both ways. The best way to keep from raising another generation of homophobes is to acknowledge that you don't become gay the first time you drunkenly make out with someone of the same sex. There are children struggling with this.

Tingle is just unsettling for different reasons. I feel personally violated when he shows up..Like his creepiness is directed straight at me. It's weird.

Ah "digital reality" discussions.

Sad that this has Nintendo's attention. Men can have babies burst out of their chest for all care.

Eusis

You just helped crystallize for me exactly why I think Tingle is awesome. An attack on one of gaming's worst fanbases, of course I'd love that haha. Anything designed to piss off people who have participated seriously in timeline discussions is worth unqualified support.
To be honest my opinion looped to favorable thanks to Wind Waker portraying him as a complete and total monster. For all the crap Ganon's guilty of we never actually see him kill anyone (though it IS implied especially in OoT) while Tingle drafts people as slaves dressed up as him to fulfill his narcissistic desires. And not only can you not challenge him on this but you actively have to pay him all your money to beat the game. He is the most despicable character Nintendo's created and he's played off for laughs, it's amazing.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think it pretty much has no "gay" option though. Like it was coded to never have them but somehow the gender check doesn't take into account.

Besides, you already have your subtle gay characters in Nintendo.

zroid

Banned
just because a bug does something which people may consider beneficial doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed. with that said, an actual option for gay marriage obviously ought to be included in the game; but it shouldn't be the result of a glitch.

Chopper

Shouldn't they be fixing it so that women can do the same? Ethics and whatnot besides, it's just more fun that way, no?

Basil

Banned
First Nintendo releases an update that triples the jiggahertz of the Wii U and now they've released an update that 'cures' homosexuality?!?!?!

Guys, I don't want to jump to any wild conclusions here, but I'm pretty sure Iwata's replacement has arrived and he is Orson Scott Card with Lawnmower Man powers.

BriBri

Update is now live. You do not need to install it for the game to work as before and for continual use of the eShop.

zaidic

Banned
I am not really a fan of nintendo, but I hate the concept of homosexuality more than anything I can ever hate. So yeah, I hope they fix this bug and things can be normal as they are supposed to be.

If this game comes to America, and you can't have relationships that match your orientation in real life, there's no way in hell I'm buying it. There's no reason for them to take it out.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They should leave the same-sex stuff in, just get rid of baby-making or replace it with adoption, it'd net them a shitload of goodwill out of what was originally a bug.

I am not really a fan of nintendo, but I hate the concept of homosexuality more than anything I can ever hate. So yeah, I hope they fix this bug and things can be normal as they are supposed to be.

I'm at a loss of words.

Jay Sosa

nananana nanana nanana goodbye

Top Bottom