• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I just hope it's not like only one case for an entire season, because that's a bit long to watch after some time.
If I were writing it, I'd model it on Justified. A larger case that threads through the whole season with lots of smaller cases he picks up and handles simultaneously.

Sober

Joss Whedon and Nic Pizzolatto should make an HBO series called True Misogyny. Make HBO millions. Cross it over with Confederate or something.

xrnzaaas

Outcast was also cancelled (or not). I haven't watched the second season yet, but I heard bad things.

I've only seen a few episodes of season 2 and they were so dull that I've dropped it (at least for the time being). It's like they were still stuck with the events of season 1 and unable to really move on with the story.

But yeah, no matter what would've happened on the show and how it was received it was going to get cancelled anyway because Cinemax bailed out of doing dramas.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Its so weird to see previously "famous" tv actors in bit roles.

Just saw both Charisma Carpenter (aka Cordy on Buffy / Angel) and Michael Imperioli (Christopher in The Sopranos) on Lucifer playing just random side characters. Actually Imperioli was playing a semi-important character even if just for a couple of esp, but Charisma was just the murderer of the week, and it's not the first time I've seen her in random procedurals

Its so weird to see previously "famous" tv actors in bit roles.

Just saw both Charisma Carpenter (aka Cordy on Buffy / Angel) and Michael Imperioli (Christopher in The Sopranos) on Lucifer playing just random side characters. Actually Imperioli was playing a semi-important character even if just for a couple of esp, but Charisma was just the murderer of the week, and it's not the first time I've seen her in random procedurals

Charisma is in her mid 40's and more of a pretty face than a great actress, and this is Hollywood.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Charisma is in her mid 40's and more of a pretty face than a great actress, and this is Hollywood.

Oh yeah speaking of, I give Lucifer props for having at least one of the main cast members NOT a hot 20-something year old, the shrink lady.

Granted it's one in a sea of hot 20-somethings (well maybe not a sea but the main detective and the demon lady are certainly both Hollywood gorgeous), but still, that character could have easily been another one.

Jhoan

Good news is Emma is on the new season of American Horror Story at least!
tenor.gif
She is in
only
one episode.
From TVline's round-up of info.
- CBS is developing "L.A. Confidential" for the small screen.
- "Jane The Virgin" star Gina Rodriguez is developing two shows, one for the CW and CBS:

The first show's premise from Jane The Virgin team sounds interesting and could be fun. I can see social commentary being peppered in left and right. Although I find it funny that the protagonist is named Rafael even though it's not Jane The Virgin Rafael.

The second show's premise sounds doomed to fail even though it sounds right up CBS' alley. Plus the title makes me cringe a bit.

First cancellation of the 16-17 season: CBS' Doubt (2 episodes)
First cancellation of the 15-16 season: ABC's Wicked City (3 episodes)
First cancellation of the 14-15 season: ABC's Manhattan Love Story (4 episodes)
First cancellation of the 13-14 season: ABC's Lucky 7 (2 episodes)
First cancellation of the 12-13 season: CBS' Made in Jersey (2 episodes)
First cancellation of the 11-12 season: NBC's The Playboy Club (3 episodes)
First cancellation of the 10-11 season: Fox's Lone Star (2 episodes)
Fox is due

I still don't understand what's going on with Scream Season 3. I'd understand if they felt the show wasn't working and wanted to change it up, but to cut the number of episodes and then just shove it out the door? Why bother?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I still don't understand what's going on with Scream Season 3. I'd understand if they felt the show wasn't working and wanted to change it up, but to cut the number of episodes and then just shove it out the door? Why bother?

I like the idea of having a more diverse cast because that's something that is rarely explored in horror (plus it's hot right now coming off the heels of Get Out) but that is something that should've been the Season 1 pitch. All new cast, new story, fewer episodes. Eugh, I'm just instantly turned off.

Not exactly sure what MTV wants the show to be. Three sets of showrunners in 3 seasons? Maybe they think it should be the new Pretty Little Liars?

Haha damn, more renewed shows getting cancelled, what a world we're living in these days.

Those are the best kinds of cancellations. The fans think they're safe and then *BLAM*

There's only so much money you can spend on things that have no buzz (and most likely a pitiful viewership) I guess.

I mean, what do we think the actual audience of most of the Amazon shows are. I feel like they have no traction at all. I don't watch that much Netflix, but at least I know what's coming out on it, Amazon stuff just seems to fly under the radar a lot of the time with a few exceptions.

Those are the best kinds of cancellations. The fans think they're safe and then *BLAM*

There's only so much money you can spend on things that have no buzz (and most likely a pitiful viewership) I guess.

I mean, what do we think the actual audience of most of the Amazon shows are. I feel like they have no traction at all. I don't watch that much Netflix, but at least I know what's coming out on it, Amazon stuff just seems to fly under the radar a lot of the time with a few exceptions.

Isnt that true for netflix stuff too, even they cancel stuff now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

My sense is that Transparent has a modest, critical bubble blogosphere audience, Mozart in the Jungle did at one point, and Man in the High Castle has a modest mainstream audience. I am not aware of anyone else watching any of their originals. I mean, I do. But I watch everything. I'm a monster and should be stopped.

Sean

Banned

I watch a lot more TV than the average person and subscribe to Amazon Prime, but I think I'd struggle to name even five Amazon Originals off the top of my head.

Bosch, Man in the High Castle, Transparent, The Tick... ??

I watch a lot more TV than the average person and subscribe to Amazon Prime, but I think I'd struggle to name even five Amazon Originals off the top of my head.

The Last Tycoon (though it isn't out yet)

You missed the best of the best: The Patriot.

Please watch it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

(The Last Tycoon season one premiered on July 28)

Netflix and Amazon are closing the wallets

(Netflix is actually increasing their content budget to $7 billion next year, up from $6 billion this year)

Amazon's not gonna cancel Mozart in the Jungle before we get some closure, are they?

No, it seems to be one of their more popular and acclaimed shows.

Slayven

(The Last Tycoon season one premiered on July 28)

(Netflix is actually increasing their content budget to $7 billion next year, up from $6 billion this year)

No, it seems to be one of their more popular and acclaimed shows.

I come to the tv thread to get away from Bronsonleeness....smh

Sean

Banned

No Grand Tour?
Goliath?

You missed the best of the best: The Patriot.

Please watch it.

Yes to Grand Tour, first time I've heard about those other three shows though tbh. I'll check them out.

It just seems like Amazon originals have close to zero buzz / mainstream awareness for whatever reason. The only time I ever really hear them mentioned at all is during award shows. Even Hulu seems able to generate a lot more buzz for their shows (like 11.22.63 last year). I just find it odd, Amazon has billions of dollars and sells a ton of products, yet they can't seem to do the same for their original shows.

Soulfire

The best Amazon original is Lost in Oz a cartoon. My three year old loves it and I've found it really enjoyable to watch. Really hope they make more. Other than that I watch almost nothing on Amazon, though I check out most of the pilots. I end up forgetting about the ones I liked that end up getting picked up.

Yes to Grand Tour, first time I've heard about those other three shows though tbh. I'll check them out.

It just seems like Amazon originals have close to zero buzz / mainstream awareness for whatever reason. The only time I ever really hear them mentioned at all is during award shows. Even Hulu seems able to generate a lot more buzz for their shows (like 11.22.63 last year). I just find it odd, Amazon has billions of dollars and sells a ton of products, yet they can't seem to do the same for their original shows.

I thought the handmaids tail was the biggest hulu show everyone was talking about it.

Swass

The best Amazon original is Lost in Oz a cartoon. My three year old loves it and I've found it really enjoyable to watch. Really hope they make more. Other than that I watch almost nothing on Amazon, though I check out most of the pilots. I end up forgetting about the ones I liked that end up getting picked up.

Red Oaks is my favorite of their originals and it is ending at season 3. Amazon is really cutting benefits on their prime membership.. to the point I'm not renewing when my 4th year of student prime ends. These big companies often forget what got them there.

G0523

Showtime picks up Wall Street comedy, "Ball Street," from Happy Endings creator. Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg to direct the pilot. Don Cheadle and Andrew Rannells to star.

It takes place during the 1987 stock crash, Black Monday, and tells the story of "how a group of outsiders took on the blue-blood, old-boys club of Wall Street and ended up crashing the world's largest financial system, a Lamborghini limousine, Don Henley's birthday party, and the glass ceiling."

berzeli

Banned
I wonder if the global expansion of Prime Video backfired on them.

I'm still not over how fucking disastrous that launch was, and unlike HBO Nordic which also fizzled on launch they're doing fuck all to rectify the situation.
My sense is that Transparent has a modest, critical bubble blogosphere audience, Mozart in the Jungle did at one point, and Man in the High Castle has a modest mainstream audience. I am not aware of anyone else watching any of their originals. I mean, I do. But I watch everything. I'm a monster and should be stopped.
Grand Tour is their biggest hit, or at least it has the most watched premiere episode.

And uh, it's not a Top Gear in terms of success to say the least.
I think it is fair to just say that Amazon is bad at being a streaming service.

vypek

Showtime picks up Wall Street comedy, "Ball Street," from Happy Endings creator. Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg to direct the pilot. Don Cheadle and Andrew Rannells to star.

It takes place during the 1987 stock crash, Black Monday, and tells the story of "how a group of outsiders took on the blue-blood, old-boys club of Wall Street and ended up crashing the world’s largest financial system, a Lamborghini limousine, Don Henley’s birthday party, and the glass ceiling."

Cheadle back on Showtime pretty fast.

I'll check it out. Just hope I know when its starting since I don't know the cycles for Showtime shows. My DVR just ends up with them at times. Hard to know when new shows are starting for me lol

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

It takes place during the 1987 stock crash, Black Monday, and tells the story of "how a group of outsiders took on the blue-blood, old-boys club of Wall Street and ended up crashing the world’s largest financial system, a Lamborghini limousine, Don Henley’s birthday party, and the glass ceiling."
So somebody besides Jordan Belfort fucked up stocks? Because it sounds exactly like The Wolf of Wall Street.

I thought the handmaids tail was the biggest hulu show everyone was talking about it.
It is. And it deserves it. It could win Best Drama as well.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Over/under on someone doing coke being in the first trailer.

I'll give it a chance depending on how hard they beat me over the head with IT'S THE NINETEEN HUNDRED AND EIGHTIES, Y'ALL! If every scene has 80s music in it, I'm out.

Linkura

Really hope Amazon doesn't fuck up Maisel. :( I enjoyed Alpha House- Season 1 was ok, but Season 2 was great. And then we never heard from it again, not even an official cancellation.... Otherwise, I've tried some other Amazon originals and haven't gotten into any others.

berzeli

Banned
Speaking of Amazon and fuckups: Amazon's 'Goliath' Loses Second Showrunner (Exclusive)
Showrunner Clyde Phillips (Dexter) has exited the drama after joining the Billy Bob Thornton starrer for season two. He will be replaced by exec producer Lawrence Trilling, who worked on season one of the series.

Sources say Phillips — who replaced David E. Kelley as the day to day showrunner on the series — and his writing team had written all 10 episodes of season two with Amazon and Thornton both signing off on scripts.

The creative rift happened after Thornton, sources say, was unhappy with how the season two premiere turned out. Production on the series was shut down and Phillips opted to step down rather than re-arc the entire season. Sources note the first four episodes of season two had been completed and were in editing. The season two premiere is now being rewritten and reshot and three episodes will be scrapped, bringing the season tally to seven. Production will resume Wednesday.
The changes will mean the legal drama will likely extend beyond its planned season two budget, a fact that sources note is becoming increasingly worrisome at Amazon. That brings the per-episode cost to almost $10 million per, and the budget overage to about $65 million, sources say.
The retail outlet and streaming service previously indicated Goliath was its most-binged show in its first month of release. It was also Amazon's first show to score a straight-to-series order and avoid the pilot-voting process. Thornton earned a Golden Globe for his performance.
Goliath becomes the latest Amazon show to see a showrunner change, joining Man in the High Castle, Bosch and Sneaky Pete.

A premiere date for season two has not been determined.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It was also Amazon's first show to score a straight-to-series order and avoid the pilot-voting process.

well sure except it wasn't Amazon's first show to score a straight-to-series order and also "pilot season" is a joke whose results are not relevant so the distinction wouldn't matter but yes besides those two facts this is a very good point

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

post if you r ok ivy

I wonder if the global expansion of Prime Video backfired on them.

I'm still not over how fucking disastrous that launch was, and unlike HBO Nordic which also fizzled on launch they're doing fuck all to rectify the situation.

Did they give it that big of a push though?

I think it is fair to just say that Amazon is bad at being a streaming service.

Their app on PS3 is awful.

Speaking of Amazon and fuckups: Amazon's 'Goliath' Loses Second Showrunner (Exclusive)

Goliath becomes the latest Amazon show to see a showrunner change, joining Man in the High Castle, Bosch and Sneaky Pete.

Amazon goin through that AMC "we're young and still figuring out how to be a proper channel. showrunners to the left" phase. Hopefully they'll grow out of it before too long.

From TVline's round-up of info.
- CBS is developing "L.A. Confidential" for the small screen.
- "Jane The Virgin" star Gina Rodriguez is developing two shows, one for the CW and CBS:
Just a quick reminder that pilots and pickups should generally be posted over in the Pilots thread. Thank you.

berzeli

Banned
Speaking of bad streaming services: Fullscreen Media Lays Off Three Percent Of Staff, Will Focus On Original Programming
Fullscreen Media dismissed three percent of its staff today, part of a revamp to allegedly focus on original programming for its subscription video service. No headcount was provided, although reports indicated the company had about 750 employees before today’s culling.

Fullscreen CEO George Strompolos, a co-creator of YouTube’s partner program who founded the company in 2011, said in a statement that the move came to “streamline operations and pursue a deeper focus on original programming.”
(they have as far as I can tell never released any subscription numbers, or touted any numbers of any kind, the subscription service was launched a less than year and a half ago and their target is 5 million subscribers with 1 million being seen as the break even point)

Did they give it that big of a push though?
Small to moderate push, and they've done nothing with it since. I don't even know if they've bothered to translate the menus to Swedish yet, like why would you launch a service if you can't be bothered to even try?

Top Bottom