• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

Only boss I got left to kill before I go into the Darkest Dungeon is the 16 pound brigand.....

I'm not looking forward to this :/

DrArchon

Sad news. Dismas finally passed on facing the Necromancer. He had a bad crit and got put on death's door and managed to last for 3-4 turns there. The rest of the party, including Reynauld, survived by the skin of their teeth thanks to constant bleed from my Houndmaster.

And who do I have to thank for Dismas' death? Not the Necromancer, no no. I blame THE SHITTIEST OCCULTIST EVER. I had him heal Dismas every single turn, and for 3 turns in a row he healed for exactly 0 hp, despite holding one trinket that boosted heals by 15% and another that boosted heals by 30%! And when he finally healed Dismas, he got a crit! For 2 hp.

I won the mission and sent that fucker packing right after. Unbelievable.

Sad news. Dismas finally passed on facing the Necromancer. He had a bad crit and got put on death's door and managed to last for 3-4 turns there. The rest of the party, including Reynauld, survived by the skin of their teeth thanks to constant bleed from my Houndmaster.

And who do I have to thank for Dismas' death? Not the Necromancer, no no. I blame THE SHITTIEST OCCULTIST EVER. I had him heal Dismas every single turn, and for 3 turns in a row he healed for exactly 0 hp, despite holding one trinket that boosted heals by 15% and another that boosted heals by 30%! And when he finally healed Dismas, he got a crit! For 2 hp.

Yeah, I think I will start using the Arbalest instead of the Occultist as my alternative healer. Occultist is just too unreliable and Arbalest is not at all a bad healer with some trinkets.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Which aspect of the Hamlet should one focus on upgrading first? Stage Coach? Blacksmith?

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I think this is just an awesome thing to do by Red Hook.

They made a bunch of custom sounds with the narrator voice actor for streamers. Basically, if someone donates, the narrator will say something like, "A generous contribution!" while they're playing. I believe they even made a lot of custom emotes as well, some which are pretty hilarious too.

Just wanted to let people know and if anyone from Red Hook is reading the thread, that's an awesome thing to do!

DrArchon

Yeah, I think I will start using the Arbalest instead of the Occultist as my alternative healer. Occultist is just too unreliable and Arbalest is not at all a bad healer with some trinkets.

Arbalests are great healers, especially with that +33% heal trinket they get. If you chain heal turn after turn with one they start healing for stupid amounts regularly. The problem is I always want to attack with them because they do so much damage with someone that can mark guys and I never want to heal with them unless I have to, which is usually too late.

I picked up two more though, because fuck the 8-pounder that I still haven't beaten.

I'm also learning to love Hellions now that my Abominations have hit lvl 3 and won't do easy runs anymore. It's so refreshing to have a front line party member be able to hit spots 3 and 4 regularly and not just smack away at corpses while the enemies giggle in the back.

Easily the biggest monster in the game.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I think this is just an awesome thing to do by Red Hook.

They made a bunch of custom sounds with the narrator voice actor for streamers. Basically, if someone donates, the narrator will say something like, "A generous contribution!" while they're playing. I believe they even made a lot of custom emotes as well, some which are pretty hilarious too.

Just wanted to let people know and if anyone from Red Hook is reading the thread, that's an awesome thing to do!

"Gold greases palms, sparks wars, and precipitates murder"

Alvarez

Banned
I hate games with excessive RNG that means certain death, but I love games with manageable RNG that forces me out of my comfort zone and still allows me to win if I am able to adapt.

Which one is Darkest Dungeon?

Is it normal to only have two bosses down after around 10-15 hours?

Earlier I finished my fourth boss off(swine prince... I almost felt sorry for him) and I'm less then 20 weeks in, but I also have tons of experience with the early game from EA(I lost my occultist to the hag right before I killed her, he came out of the pot and died on the first hit). Of course this is me going after boss soon as they appear on my map(even did necromancer without a healer... but I had an abomination so w/e). If you are avoiding the bosses(off hand I don't think there is much need to fight them, at least not right off) I don't think you are really missing much(until the top tier ones that drop special gear apparently), so its probably no big deal.

-MD-

I hate games with excessive RNG that means certain death, but I love games with manageable RNG that forces me out of my comfort zone and still allows me to win if I am able to adapt.

The latter.

Falk

that puzzling face

Both, depending on who you ask.

Whoa. How? Were you doing something wrong?

Now this is abnormal lol, 100 hours? Goddamn.

The game reset pre-EA launch.

From the Kickstarter launch, I had beaten all the bosses within a few days after they were released.

I also reset a few times.

I probably only have 50 out of that 105 as post-EA.

It will feel like the former if you go in expecting to beat the game in 24 hours. The gameplay is not set up for a speedrunner or powergamer.

I've read so many post online where people ragequit because they were treating it like Mario and getting confused as to why their guys kept having negative quirks pile up and they had to get new team members. They just wanted four stock heroes to fight the evil against. The game is not set up to be won like a traditional game.

It's rare, but the Call of Duty mindset does exist.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
24 hours of game time, or did you mean "if you mean to beat it on day 1"?

kionedrik

Now I'm curious. A lot of you have mentioned you had problems with the Necromancer and I'd like to ask why. I've faced all 3 variants multiple times, in EA and post-release, and never had any death. Are you allowing him to build an army? Not CC-ing? Not using dots? In my experience both Ruin bosses are the easiest in the game, although the Prophet can be extremely annoying.

I wish I could say the same about the other bosses aka fuck the Hag and Swine royalty...

DrArchon

I wish I could say the same about the other bosses aka fuck the Hag and Swine royalty...

I had a ton of trouble with the Swine Prince, but the Swine King was easy. All I needed to do was bring an Arbalest to clear the marks that Wilbur put on people and all the King could do was feebly swing at one or two guys for not great damage. Went from losing 3 guys to the Prince to losing 1 to the King.

No tips for the Hag. Fuck her.

I'm crushing my first playthrough on the full release... so far. 40 weeks in and haven't lost a single soul yet. Have nearly 20 level 3 soldiers and trinkets/money galore. Been collecting from the collector at every turn. Beat all the first bosses and getting ready to step up to the mid tier dungeons. Now is where I have to start organizing my teams more tactically. Seems high speed/high dodge groups are still pretty rediculous. What are some good group combinations you guys like?

Now I'm hearing the announcer in my head as I type this.

"Success so clearly in view. Or perhaps just a trick of the light?" Oh god I have a bad feeling.

SamVimes

I can't get past the hamlet loading screen when i start a campaign, anyone have any experience with this? I already tried all the methods from the steam community forums and i posted a thread there, but i figured i'd ask here too.

I'm on win 7.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
cross posting because its relevant

apparently you folk are talking about the dilema im facing...right now in fact lol.

I had said to myself this year I would focus more on games I actually want to play right now, as opposed to waiting for them to go on sale as usual, and by that time, maybe I dont feel like playing it anymore (certainly not as much as I want right now).

Thus im really struggling to not buy Darkest Dungeon, which I really want to play right now. But as someone pointed out to me on steam, XCOM 2 is in 1 week (which I already bought) and it WILL consume me until I finish it, like no matter how much I like Darkest Dungeon, I am dropping it the second XCOM is out, thats just a fact for me.

So how much would I play in the 1 week ahead of me before xcom? Probably alot, but I most likely wouldnt finish it. And then the question becomes, would I get back to it later?

Hmph. I say hmph sirs!

dunno what to do :/ the giantbomb quicklook really sold me on it too

cross posting because its relevant

dunno what to do :/ the giantbomb quicklook really sold me on it too

Darkest is pretty great for short bursts. After a while, the grind gets to be a bit much, but it's fantastic for short playthroughs, do one or two runs at a time. So I'd say pick it up and play for now, then go back to it when the XCOM 2 fever drops, assuming it ever does.

Man, the first Halo, Gears, or 40k mod for that is gonna devour my existence.

Rhaknar

did this fuckface of a paladin on my team just steal the loot for himself and I cant use it?

it was a chest with a shovel, some gold and something else, some potion. I dont see the shovel or the potion in my inventory and he said "im keeping this for myself"

what?

Hoo-doo

Banned
did this fuckface of a paladin on my team just steal the loot for himself and I cant use it?

it was a chest with a shovel, some gold and something else, some potion. I dont see the shovel or the potion in my inventory and he said "im keeping this for myself"

what?

Yeah, welcome to Darkest Dungeon. Your dudes come with quirks. Some good, some bad.

Check their character sheet. You can put them in the sanitarium to erase quirks.

Iryx

My Occultists have been awful today, he healed for 0, 0, 2, 0, 0, 7, or something similar on my first fight in a Champion long dungeon, had to camp just to refill HP in the first room, and then do it again in the third room because he kept putting up similar numbers for the next two fights. Managed to finish the run though once he got going.

what?

Yup, the starting Crusader has the Kleptomania trait which makes him steal loot sometimes.

Rhaknar

yeah im already loving this. No reason to get the guys from the wagon right? they dont seem to cost anything, and im gonna need a big roster for my inevitable deaths?

edit: now the crusader stressed out and became abusive, so now hes curssing everybody and stressing THEM out lol >_<

Iryx

yeah im already loving this. No reason to get the guys from the wagon right? they dont seem to cost anything, and im gonna need a big roster for my inevitable deaths?

There's no negatives to dismissing anyone, so if you have spare space on your roster you can recruit them and just throw them away if someone better shows up.

Rhaknar

question about the flow of the game.

I always have to "embark" to continue correct? I cant just wait 1 week for my guys to be healed for example? This forces me to use the rest of my squad?

Falk

that puzzling face
Quick starter tip: Upgrade wagon a few times first before anything else. Having your choice of 4 goobers each week (since, as mentioned, there is zero penalty for firing and re-hiring) is the most useful thing for starting off, especially if you're learning the game and prone to otherwise avoidable mistakes.

All the other things in town are useless if you're stuck with a stressed out roster and few options for efficiently getting another fresh team off the ground. Everything else, like affordable gear/training/relief will come later.

(This probably should be in OP, heh)

Rhaknar

Quick starter tip: Upgrade wagon a few times first before anything else. Having your choice of 4 goobers each week (since, as mentioned, there is zero penalty for firing and re-hiring) is the most useful thing for starting off, especially if you're learning the game and prone to otherwise avoidable mistakes.

All the other things in town are useless if you're stuck with a stressed out roster and few options for efficiently getting another fresh team off the ground. Everything else, like affordable gear/training/relief will come later.

(This probably should be in OP, heh)

Yeah I already regret spreading my upgrades. Oh well. I have a roster of 10/12 right now and I just started so we'll see. Havent had such a good impression of a game in ages, I loved everything about the 1 hour or so I played

Tips for bearing the siren?

Buy some Holy Waters and stack Debuff Resistance on your Trinkets. If you can keep every party member under a Holy Water buff the whole fight (you can use the waters before the fight and during the battle like bandages for free) the boss will waste turns trying to control your heroes.

Or just run a marking team since that pretty much crashes all the bosses.

Rhaknar

Sitting here at work wanting to play it. Always a sign of a good gane for me

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Buy some Holy Waters and stack Debuff Resistance on your Trinkets. If you can keep every party member under a Holy Water buff the whole fight (you can use the waters before the fight and during the battle like bandages for free) the boss will waste turns trying to control your heroes.

Caution with the mark teams against Siren.
If you get a Houndmaster knocked to 1, or a Arbalest knocked to 1-2, they won't be able to attack, often at all, and your plan goes crashing.

I... know that by experience.

DrArchon

I found a lot of success against the Siren with low damage stun moves to keep my guys from fucking up my team too much. Obviously won't work turn after turn, but it really helps mitigate a lot of damage.

Also, don't use Riposte with a Man-at-Arms. Almost lost a good Bounty Hunter from a bad Riposte crit.

My Siren Hunting Party:

Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
Houndmaster
Vestal

Rhaknar

My mvp so far in my very limited playtime is a guy with guns and a knife (dunno what the class is called), already dreading his inevitable death.

Its xcom all over again ;_;

Seriously, FUCK that Treebranch Smackdown that the giants in the weald do. I can't even get a good run going on the 16 pound brigand cause of those stupid giants.

And I'm using stuns/debuffs on the giants.

My mvp so far in my very limited playtime is a guy with guns and a knife (dunno what the class is called), already dreading his inevitable death.

Its xcom all over again ;_;

The highwayman? Point blank/duelist advance combo is so damn good. Just get him lots of dodge.

Rhaknar

One thing I noticed, again from very short time with it (I did like 2 runs so far), was that a lot of the skills you can unlock on the characters arent as good as the ones they start with. Or, well, they seem to serve other purposes I guess, like turn a ranged guy to a more melee guy.

Top Bottom