• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

beat

Turning off the animations on the Droid (since they were choppy anyway) made that thing greased lightning.

Funny enough, I can't bring myself to do the same on the GN, despite the same benefits. I guess its different when the animations are actually smooth huh? I can bear the extra second or so for the data to display in this case.
How do you turn off animations on the Google Nexus? Is that only for rooted phones?

SimleuqiR

Check this out guys!!
Google wanted to subsidize a $9.99 unlimited data plan for Android phones

google-subsidized-plan_large.jpg

True Nexus freedom!! I want them to re-think this!!

But they are not going to piss off their net neutrality buddies (Verizon).

th3dude

Check this out guys!!

True Nexus freedom!! I want them to re-think this!!

But they are not going to piss off their net neutrality buddies (Verizon).

I agree with the concept, but that article and specifically the title are misleading.

They estimated 'unlimited' users would use about 15MB per month. Most of us use that much overnight while our phones are sleeping.

Brought more in today's terms, though, I agree completely with the idea.

SimleuqiR

I agree with the concept, but that article and specifically the title are misleading.

They estimated 'unlimited' users would use about 15MB per month. Most of us use that much overnight while our phones are sleeping.

Brought more in today's terms, though, I agree completely with the idea.

Wasn't the 15 Mb per month an estimate of how much data users would use between the phone and Google's own services. I mean we are talking about G1 days here, when the iPhone was on EDGE only.

MooMoo

Oh god, I really want this phone but $399 is a stretch =/ Damn you ATT! Not really phone knowledgeable and this is probably a little off topic but what phones are comparable to the Galaxy Nexus that are available/coming out on ATT? Been sitting with my 3GS and was kinda waiting on the iPhone 5 but I'm yearning for something different from iOS.

freshair

Oh god, I really want this phone but $399 is a stretch =/ Damn you ATT! Not really phone knowledgeable and this is probably a little off topic but what phones are comparable to the Galaxy Nexus that are available/coming out on ATT? Been sitting with my 3GS and was kinda waiting on the iPhone 5 but I'm yearning for something different from iOS.

HTC One X yo!

kinggroin

Banned
How do you turn off animations on the Google Nexus? Is that only for rooted phones?

You can disable transition animations on damn near every unrooted android device running Froyo and higher.

For the GN, go to settings then developer options. Go to the transition and window animation scale at the bottom and set them to off.

beat

You can disable transition animations on damn near every unrooted android device running Froyo and higher.

For the GN, go to settings then developer options. Go to the transition and window animation scale at the bottom and set them to off.
Awesome, thanks!

zedge

Ok so I picked up a Galaxy Nexus, slightly used, still like new though. Is it normal for the screen to appear grainy when the brightness is low? White looks grey. Welcome to Pentile? :/ GS2 is not like this.

rozay

Banned
Ok so I picked up a Galaxy Nexus, slightly used, still like new though. Is it normal for the screen to appear grainy when the brightness is low? White looks grey. Welcome to Pentile? :/ GS2 is not like this.
there's a lot of variance in the screens unfortunately. Unmodded GS2s had green tints, so I'm not really sure which is worse.

Do your grays look purple at low brightness?

gcubed

Yes. Especially a gray screen. Unfortunately. you don't really notice it most times. Going to the market you do.

Husker86

There are at least 2 very different GN screens. Everyone I know that has one besides me (4) has a more washed out, lighter screen with more purple. I can only assume that's the more common screen.

gcubed

There are at least 2 very different GN screens. Everyone I know that has one besides me (4) has a more washed out, lighter screen with more purple. I can only assume that's the more common screen.

i doubt you're the only person who doesnt have an issue, I think its more likely you just dont notice it

Nightz

So is the Verizon GN ever going to be updated? I'm tired of my phone switching from 4G->3G->no data when I need to use it.

reKon

Banned
I knew that there was no way that Verizon wouldn't fuck anything up. Seriously, why is it that them and Comcast are the only two companies that annoy the hell out of me. I'm only sticking with them since we have a family plan. As soon as I work full time, I'm seriously going to consider leaving and going the GSM route despite not having their LTE and "reliable" service.

gcubed

I knew that there was no way that Verizon wouldn't fuck anything up. Seriously, why is it that them and Comcast are the only two companies that annoy the hell out of me. I'm only sticking with them since we have a family plan. As soon as I work full time, I'm seriously going to consider leaving and going the GSM route despite not having their LTE and "reliable" service.

you're not going to get much better unless you only buy unlocked GSM.

I actually switched to Verizon because i work at comcast, and with the what is basically a merger but not a merger between them and VZW i figured my bill would lower dramatically shortly.

Circle T

you're not going to get much better unless you only buy unlocked GSM.

I actually switched to Verizon because i work at comcast, and with the what is basically a merger but not a merger between them and VZW i figured my bill would lower dramatically shortly.

Funny enough, I get a 15% discount on my VZW bill for being an AT&T employee :)

rozay

Banned
i doubt you're the only person who doesnt have an issue, I think its more likely you just dont notice it
there are variations in the screens and they don't all turn purple at low brightness. There's a picture on the Internet showing 3 GNs side by side at the same brightness and all 3 screens have different colors of grays. Some kind of flaw with the green sub pixels but I wish I knew the reason they were affected.

zedge

Mines on 4.0.2 still. GSM version I just picked up. Other than the grainy screen and grey whites at low brightness its awesome so far. Totally forgot about the led notification..cool!

zedge

there are variations in the screens and they don't all turn purple at low brightness. There's a picture on the Internet showing 3 GNs side by side at the same brightness and all 3 screens have different colors of grays. Some kind of flaw with the green sub pixels but I wish I knew the reason they were affected.
Do you have a link to this?
NM found a big thread on xda.

kehs

Banned
So I ended up rooting my phone in order to install the 4.0.4 update without wiping the phone. However, I lost root after the update(expected that), but now SuperUser app is still lodged in the /system/ directory, but I don't actually have root. How do I get out of this? =(

Anybody using an MHL adapter? Netflix seems to ouput at only like 480i through the MHL, but still displays 720p on the phone itself. What the hell dudes?

The other day I plugged my phone into my projector, connected my bluetooth zeemote, and boom I was playing 100" Tetrisphere through my Phone. Modular computing...mmmm so good.

Kamek

So I spoke to an ATT live chat person asking since I have an iPhone with associated iPhone data plan, if I get this phone unlocked could I just swap Sim cards and not worry about data plan changing and she said no they'd have to update the IMEI. Is this true?

gcubed

Of course I don't think I'm the only one. I can definitely notice the difference, I'll post a picture tonight.

i've seen 5 Gnex's, one GSM and 4 LTE, none had the purple hue. All have banding with gray backgrounds, that's just pentile. I've never seen the comparison pictures, but since it seems EVERYONE has the purple hue i just can't see it

Husker86

i've seen 5 Gnex's, one GSM and 4 LTE, none had the purple hue. All have banding with gray backgrounds, that's just pentile. I've never seen the comparison pictures, but since it seems EVERYONE has the purple hue i just can't see it
Mine may still have a purple hue, but the 4 others I have access to are definitely worse along with more washed out overall. You'll notice in the pictures that are soon to come, I'm sure.

So I ended up rooting my phone in order to install the 4.0.4 update without wiping the phone. However, I lost root after the update(expected that), but now SuperUser app is still lodged in the /system/ directory, but I don't actually have root. How do I get out of this? =(

Anybody using an MHL adapter? Netflix seems to ouput at only like 480i through the MHL, but still displays 720p on the phone itself. What the hell dudes?

The other day I plugged my phone into my projector, connected my bluetooth zeemote, and boom I was playing 100" Tetrisphere through my Phone. Modular computing...mmmm so good.

DAT DRM!

(i don't know if this is true, just guessing)

kehs

Banned
DAT DRM!

(i don't know if this is true, just guessing)

There was actually an apk floating around from the Razr that output the HD signal. That worked until they updated it on the Play store, and now movies don't play until you update the app. =*(

It's ridiculous since the TI chipsets were the first to get Netflix DRM approval.

------

e: Oh yea, I was planning on selling my GN for a little less than I paid. Thanks alot Google for undercutting me. >=|

kinggroin

Banned
So when is jellybean expected to hit? You guys think it'll be to ICS what GB was to Froyo? What improvements are you wanting most at this stage?

fuckin booooored

Husker86

What if the songs are just local on my phone?
Ohhh, sorry. I'm not sure about that. Is it not recognizing any of your album art? I know it can since my cousin uses Google Music that way, even though his album art is all messed up from bTunes, but that's another thing.

kehs

Banned
So when is jellybean expected to hit? You guys think it'll be to ICS what GB was to Froyo? What improvements are you wanting most at this stage?

fuckin booooored

I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for CM to go RC. I really want to get rid of the onscreen keys.

I think JB will be more geared toward adaptability of devices, like APIs for screens/input devices/external devices. Especially with intel getting in the scene.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Easy answer to any sort of these issues: Don't install upgrades without wiping.

JBuccCP

My Galaxy Nexus just arrived. Man getting the back on again was nerve-wracking. Screen looks good to me, not quite as sharp as the iphone but close. The software buttons are awesome.

zedge

Ohhh, sorry. I'm not sure about that. Is it not recognizing any of your album art? I know it can since my cousin uses Google Music that way, even though his album art is all messed up from bTunes, but that's another thing.

Yea, I used album art grabber from the store to get all my album art. Google Music still shows no artwork for most of my stuff though. Will keep playing around with it.

Husker86

As promised

Mine on right, GF's on left; same brightness setting.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9sPCp06ijJWRkJLc0FGaXZVdWM

Sorry, couldn't get a good focus. As I said, all 4 other GNs I've seen have the same screen as my GF's on the left.

edit: And yes, the settings screen and dark room makes the difference more apparent, it is still noticeable in normal use but I wanted to make sure no one could deny there are different screens on the GN out there ;)

Top Bottom