• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously WTF!? ....The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud :(

doemaaan

My OG PS4 cried all the time during Uncharted 4. Rarely was it so loud outside of that game. Just got my Pro and while I haven't played any games yet, it's been real quiet during all of this transferring and downloading. Hopefully it stays that way.

DBT85

Yours is loud. Mine isnt.

Take it back for an exchange.

I thought there was a thread about Pro noise already.

madmackem

That's pretty loud in all fairness.

Someone said it was similar to the matte model. Different reports all over the place it seems. I thought Digital Foundry said launch model loud.

Which would suck.
Your mileage will vary, my Xbox one s is louder than my og fat Xbox it has a whine that's constant yet a lot report theirs being quite, my pro is way quieter than my old white ps4 only heard the fans once and I've been playing it non stop since last week.

GHG

That's pretty loud in all fairness.

Someone said it was similar to the matte model. Different reports all over the place it seems. I thought Digital Foundry said launch model loud.

Which would suck.

I have a launch PS4 that I never hear other than when the disk drive spins. My Xbox One is also silent other than the power brick which likes to chirp from time to time.

I don't know, maybe living in an air conditioned apartment helps due to the ambient noise of the AC overshadowing everything else.

But I will never understand GAF's obsession with how loud/quiet consoles are. You guys don't play with your TV/sound system muted right? I don't understand why you would even listen out for shit like this when the volume of whatever your watching/playing should be the most prominent thing.

Broman1978

Sat yesterday and played through the whole campaign in BF1 and mine was really quiet the whole time (sure not Xbox One quiet but it isn't like,loud)

I always consider the people that religiously swear their console is silent as the grave as unrepentant liars. I could even hear my wii sometimes, but these rapscallions would have you believe their machine is the ps4 of myth that runs on the inaudible breath of angels for cooling

Mexen

Mine is quiet...

tx2EtqE.png

Hwoar

I've got one of those 'loud' ones. I really don't think that's a valid reason over here to just go and exchange it.

Skilletor

I always consider the people that religiously swear their console is silent as the grave as unrepentant liars. I could even hear my wii sometimes, but these rapscallions would have you believe their machine is the ps4 of myth that runs on the inaudible breath of angels for cooling

I can never hear my new consoles (ps4. Ps4 pro, XB1, Wii U) unless it's dead quiet.

My launch ps3 is loud as hell, though.

Without more information about specific conditions most "I do(nt) hear anything" comments are not very useful.

My setup
Distance from Pro: 4-5 Feet
Average room temp: <80F
Speakers: 30 watts RMS at 25%
(no decibel meter, sorry)

After playing Watch Dogs 2 for several hours I noticed it about as much as my OG PS4, that is to say not much at all. If your OG PS4 sounded like a "jet engine" then your pro probably will too. If your it sounded fine then so will the pro.
Doubling the power with no change in fan noise? Sounds good to me.

I always wonder with the people who complain about their PS4 or PC being too loud. How close is your freaking PC/Console to your damn head? I feel like if you're like 6+ feet away from the console, or you have your PC sitting under your desk, or next to your TV like a console you can barely hear them typically. Especially when you're watching or playing something.

I really don't notice my PS4 Pro or PC.

Kremzeek

Mine is really quiet. To even hear it I'd have to mute the TV.

Me too. I was really surprised to hear it's been quieter than my OGPS4, put in the exact same spot in my cabinet.

Playing Tomb Raider in 4K, and Overwatch and Uncharted 4- all super quiet.

Yoday

This thread is giving me some serious déjà vu.

Conclusion: Sony's design and/or manufacturer produces wildly varying results. The luck of the draw nature of the PS4 has made me very wary of buying Sony hardware in the future. I tried my luck twice on the PS4 before giving up and just sticking to my XBO for everything but exclusives.

That being said, I truly don't understand how anyone at R&D thought the insane whine-pitch the system CONSTANTLY puts out when playing 60fps content (system is actually silent with 30fps games ala Rise of the Tomb Raider) @ 4k (or downsampled 1080p) would be acceptable.....
Because with (some) PS4s being so noisy the market clearly said that noise of box is not a factor which impacts sales,

Plus as others said theirs is silent - could be faulty ?

barit

Title should be "MY PS4 Pro is loud" because it seems the majority don't have that problem (like me)

Bad luck OP, send it back I guess

MoonFrog

I don't have a PS4 (considering one, Slim or Pro, this holiday so reading stuff like this on relative noise level), but sometimes strange consoles are noticeably loud and others not. Last generation I had all three and all were noticeably loud to me, particularly the OG PS3 but including the Wii, which was my first Nintendo device to ever worry me that it'd kill itself. This generation, I only have Wii U and it has never bothered me, although I won't swear it is silent (and I doubt it is) because it could just be my sensitivity levels at play. It is, however, effectively silent for me, unlike last generation consoles.

sTiTcH AU

Mine has been mostly quiet, but then when playing Rise of the Tomb Raider in 4K mode, it eventually got quite loud. Not Uncharted 4 on PS4 levels of loud, but loud enough to notice.

coastel

I always wonder with the people who complain about their PS4 or PC being too loud. How close is your freaking PC/Console to your damn head? I feel like if you're like 6+ feet away from the console, or you have your PC sitting under your desk, or next to your TV like a console you can barely hear them typically. Especially when you're watching or playing something.

I really don't notice my PS4 Pro or PC.

Well my launch ps4 was quite so is my pro. My sons ps4 however was loud enough to hear from downstairs. When people say they can get loud trust me, when they do, you can hear them with a headset or tv up easy. Must just be an unlucky few my sons noise was sorted after my brother repasted it.

Just did like 3 hours of Siege. My OG ps4 would sound like a jet engine from the start. My pro was quiet and I have been playing some uc4mp as well.

cripterion

I thought early impressions said it was whisper quiet?

lol, anyone saying that is just bullshitting imo. The system is loud, some people are not sensitive to it, or got a game setup that attenuates this.

I challenge anyone to listen to their console while running FFXV and tell me the PS4 pro is "whisper quiet". Hell I can even hear the system when it's on rest mode and a downloads kicks in.

I don't remember my original PS4 ever being this noisy. I have the colume up high and I can easily hear it from far away.

Edited a video into my post.
There you can hear the infamous jet engine mode.
People who experienced this, are happy with the PRO, even when making noises like the PRO in your video.

Edit: that said, my pro is more silent while playing Battlefield 1 on my pro. Not dead silent, but not as loud as the Pro in your video.

RedAssedApe

Banned
naw...yours just happens to be. mine and several other people have noted the opposite. quieter than the og ps4.

some people had loud ps4s too. maybe another thermal paste issue.

Dinjooh

Been playing Knack high frame rate mode and inFamous high frame rate mode and I literally can't hear it. I sit maybe 2m away from it?

I can feel it's heat coming from it though when I get close. It pushes out a lot of hot air.

Strings

This is nothing compared to the jet engine mode of the original PS4.

Edit: This is jet engine mode:
https://youtu.be/5GuPmIlq0jQ

Yeah, this was what playing Hitman with unlocked FPS did to my OG. It was only ever that game too - otherwise had a pretty unremarkable launch unit.

Without more information about specific conditions most "I do(nt) hear anything" comments are not very useful.

My setup

http://imgur.com/a/DzhsH
As you can see, I sit pretty close to mine :p No issues yet. I genuinely think OP just got super unlucky (or I lucked out).

Hasney

Barely any noise from mine. My launch PS4 was pretty quiet too, but got loud on certain things. Haven't heard a loud noise on anything yet.

black070

I will never understand GAF's obsession with how loud/quiet consoles are. You guys don't play with your TV/sound system muted right? I don't understand why you would even listen out for shit like this when the volume of whatever your watching/playing should be the most prominent thing.

Lol, exactly.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Mine's very quiet. Haven't heard a whisper of fan noise out of it, even on COD:IW. I could always hear the fan noise at least somewhat on my launch PS4.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
My PS4, Day 1 release was quiet as fuck
Day 1 PS4 Pro, super fucking quiet

/shrug

chiliboy

My OG launch PS4 from 2013 was reaaaally loud, one of the reasons why I didn't use it too much. Been testing my Pro with Uncharted 4, after 7-8 hours I can't complain. It was a bit loud when installing but after that I've barely heard it. Super happy!

OP - get your pro replaced!

Abylim

I sit with mine about 5 feet away and it's nowhere near as noisey as my previous PS4.

Been playing Xenoverse2, Skyrim and Dishonored 2, with a short TLOU session.

I'm super happy with my pro so far. Even the disc tray/eject sounds better

Mine only gets loud for a few seconds in stuff like uncapped menus. Infamous or BF1 during gameplay are fine.

People should know that nowadays good pieces of hardware still have bad units here and there. I've personally seen few Xbox S units, and one of them was seriously the loudest console I've ever seen. A jet even when in the console OS. That doesn't mean I go around complaining about it because I know most people's are not loud.

There is also a comfortable place in between "LOUD LIKE A PLANE" and "whisper quiet" l. My pc is neither of those things and that's fine. I know if I'm playing a game it will get noisier the more demanding the game is.

Asking for good graphics and "whisper quiet" consoles in small form factors is an impossibility dudes. TDP is not what it used to be back in the PS2/GC days.

Coxy100

Banned
But I will never understand GAF's obsession with how loud/quiet consoles are. You guys don't play with your TV/sound system muted right? I don't understand why you would even listen out for shit like this when the volume of whatever your watching/playing should be the most prominent thing.
It's really very simple. Everyone has their reasons

Mine? I sit 1-2 feet away from my console. So I hear it when it's noisy

Also the most important reason is I game at night - when my wife and most importantly daughter are asleep. I can't have my volume high because I need to hear if she wakes up crying. Therefore again, I hear it when it's noisy

Were not all lucky enough to live in a bubble where noise of the console doesn't matter.

bosseye

Doesn't help I know, but mine is whisper quiet. Much better than my old PS4. You can hear the disc spinning up but then silence.

Top Bottom