• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft interested in EA Access like program, thinks it's good for publisher brands

RulkezX

I only took EA access for a month, cancelled the recurring billing last night. I really don't want to be a part of bringing shit like this in. I know that just like DLC and season passes and pre order exclusive content that my choice won't matter , but it least it won't be on the back of my £

Xando

By major content I mean full games. I can never see a pub putting a full game behind a sub. There's just no way that would earn them more money than by making players purchase the game normally.

I remember similiar statements about DLC some years ago.

Aces&Eights

As opposed to spending hundreds of dollars each year on video games?

You are assuming that they will let you play new releases under the plan. I don't think they will. I fear they will still make you buy the game and if you want any DLC you have to have a sub.

Trago

This is great. The more options for people the better. I think the subscription model could take off with less serious gamers who would only buy one or two games a year. Giving them a chance to play games that they otherwise would've never purchased.

I mean, PS Plus players have pretty much said the same thing about games with Plus, so the more the merrier.

Enectic

Banned
Is this a bad thing? If it's similar to what EA Access offers then I'm all for it. Access to older titles, discounts on digital purchases, and early access to trial new titles all for a low monthly/annual fee? Sounds great! It's great having options and if you don't find value in this kind of proposition then you're more than welcome to not subscribe and stick to the traditional model.

KinoTheMystic

Neo Member
So you guys would rather pay $30-60 for each Ubisoft game, or $30 for all Ubisoft games? What is with the hate with EA Access? It's a great deal.

If Ubisoft had a UbiAccess program, I would definitely hop on that subscription because I have never played a bad Ubisoft game. Yes, I loved Assassin's Creed 3.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Can't you go intimidate them into stopping this bullshit? Pretty sure you scare everyone on the Internet lol
Heh.

I said before that trying it out isn't a bad thing necessarily. The danger was in multiple publishers splitting off into content subscription services and expecting monthly fees, which I would happily ignore (see the Netflix analogy made earlier in this thread). Now, more leaks in the dike are sprouting. I'm glad to stick with PSN Plus while this experiment takes place elsewhere.

Tobor

Who wants Netflix? I'd rather have WB access and Fox access, and Sony access, and Disney access, and...

Nope, I'd rather have Netflix. This isn't rocket science.

Oh god. I can see it now.

Exclusive Maps in Battlefield -> Only for EA Access Subscribers!

Exclusive Weapons in Assassins Creed : Unity -> Only for Ubisoft Subscribers

Normally, a subscription service isn't bad. You have the option. But what's going to happen in an attempt to get more people on board, they are going to 'increase' it's value merely by locking away content that you would have normally gotten.

Pretty soon you'll need to have dual subscriptions to access multiplayer. Xbox Live and EA Access if you want to play the newest Madden online.

This is bad news and I'm glad Sony said no, Yoshida even said it " we're concerned it's going to become a symptom and other publishers are going to follow suit."

Playstation Now is reasonable because it offers an umbrella package of all old playstation games, much like how Netflix works.

What this new model is like the same headaches people have to deal with in regards to cable subscriptions. "You want this channel in particular? Fuck you have to get this channel and 10 other useless ones you don't care about."

yuraya

Subscription models and recurring fees are a bigger cash cow model than any other type of models. Gamers should expect this regardless of how EA access turns out. Whether its 5k subscribers or 5 million subscribers. They don't have anything to lose. Its free money for the publishers since they never see that used game sales market to begin with.

Heh.

I said before that trying it out isn't a bad thing necessarily. The danger was in multiple publishers splitting off into content subscription services and expecting monthly fees, which I would happily ignore (see the Netflix analogy made earlier in this thread). Now, more leaks in the dike are sprouting. I'm glad to stick with PSN Plus while this experiment takes place elsewhere.

Same here frankly I do not look forward to having 5 or 6 different subscriptions so I'm able to play games early etc. It will all add up together with live and or ps plus to a large chunk of my budget, yes, it's not mandatory, but it will be that way if these greedy game companies have their way.

SeanTSC

I hope EA Access bombs so hard that no one goes any further with this bullshit.

I beg of you, please don't subscribe to that service.

Hmmm. For now, it ain't an issue. In the future though, I have to wonder how they'll incentivise subscriptions.

I can see them increasing the discount on games bought through the service. They'll probably add DLC discounts into the mix as well.

Having games exclusively available through the service isn't something that will ever happen. There's too much risk associated with such a move.

Who wants Netflix? I'd rather have WB access and Fox access, and Sony access, and Disney access, and...

Nope, I'd rather have Netflix. This isn't rocket science.

Netflix doesn't have everything. Amazon Prime has some stuff Netflix doesn't... then there's HBOGo, etc.

mcrommert

Banned
I'm buying both.

EDIT: EA/Ubisoft that is. Activision? Who cares.

Haha, this

Maybe at the end of the gen to go through and play some of all of the Call of Duty Xbone games...but thats about it...ea and activision have a lot i want to play, but would be fine later for a lower price

Aces&Eights

Now flip that around.

Why would Ubisoft offer all of their games for $30 if they can sell each game for $30-60?

Bingo. They won't. The sub will get you old ass games and 5 dollars off new releases. You will still most likely have to buy the new releases or wait a year until they hit the plan. I play all new games as they come out. Couldn't give a rats ass about playing AC2 again. God only knows how they will milk dlc and whatnot into this. Such bullshit.

Nokterian

FYI I have enough subscriptions and other obligations to pay fuck this really. I only pay for a game i want. This is a route going bad.

Cynar

This will spread like the virus it is. It was bad with EA and we knew that ubi would copy it in some form. I'm glad Sony put their foot down and said no, let's just hope microsoft smartens up and does the same.

I hope EA Access bombs so hard that no one goes any further with this bullshit.

I beg of you, please don't subscribe to that service.

You and I both. This is the worst scummy thing to come to gaming in a while.

Scum

Yeah, I think it's actually a pretty good option for its target audience.

I don't really get the hate toward season passes or DLC either, which tend to get a lot of backlash.

Nintendo should have a service like this for their VC on their next iOS/Steam/Google Play clone platform. From NES to WiiU and Gameboy to 3DS.

*dives for cover*

RulkezX

This will spread like the virus it is. It was bad with EA and we knew that ubi would copy it in some form. I'm glad Sony put their foot down and said no, let's just hope microsoft smartens up and does the same.

Microsoft will be on the phone asking all publishers to offer similar services and try to get some form of exclusivity for them

Oersted

I hope Sony remains firm.
Every Publisher with its own Access program will suck for gamers.

Plattform based isn't so much better. For most people who buy new into the Playstation ecosystem, there is only PS4 and thats it. EA Access and alike have the potential for PS/Xbox/PC/Mobile. Tad better.

ClearData

So the nightmare scenario of needing 3 or more $30 dollar subscriptions for each pub on top of an online subscription to Live is never going to happen?

Right?

Rurunaki

Netflix doesn't have everything. Amazon Prime has some stuff Netflix doesn't... then there's HBOGo, etc.

I wonder why? Oh that's right, everyone wanted a piece of the pie. So instead of just paying for Netflix like before, now I have to get HBOGo and Starz and Amazon Prime..

Top Bottom