• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asura's Wrath |OT|

Volcynika

The "Denied" one was perfect with the achivement popup. Trophies always seem to pop later which sucks for how this was timed
RIGHT when Augus punches you in the face when you try to grab one of the girls

Same with "Heads will Roll" right when
Asura blows up the fleet in episode 12.
Busted out laughing with both.

Yeah, the achievements with things like that are well placed when they popup. I was incredibly amused and laughed a good bit.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Since when is shitting up threads allowed? Serious question, because near every thread gets bombarded by "first post" dumb shit, people who KNOW they aren't interested, 3rd rate jokes, etc. I thought it was bannable, but it constantly goes unchecked, and its clear people need to be filed in line since they won't take care of the forum themselves.

The thread has already been defecated on and destroyed without even leaving the first page, so I can ask this. Is it bannable?

Can you actually point me the posts you think are "shitting up" the thread? Do we really only allowed to put glowing opinions/really looking forward to it/THIS GAME IS GOTY! posts in OTs now?

I come to an OT to find out more about the game itself, and oftentimes for me, reading what other people really think is often a lot more informative and helpful than the OT itself when trying to decide whether I should shell my money for a game or not.

......Holy shit this thread moves like a lightning bolt.

monome

Got the game a tad early in Euroland.

Well, so far it's pretty much the demo, it's crazy over the top.
Wanted it at first sight, happy to play it, day 1 for DLC.

Jintor

It's this year's Heavy Rain.

Ice cold.

I think it's also fairly accurate.

I fucking love the format. The "Next Time on Asura's Wrath" bullshit really grows on you, as does the constant playing around with title cards and the like.
The fact that it has an additional start screen within the first and final chapters is the icing on the goddamn cake. Also the near-full credits sequences at the end of each Act.

Volcynika

I just want to say while only a few themes have stood out to me, I really enjoy the music. Mostly the music during
the Augus fight, and then anything to do with Yasha (seems like a western-style theme?)

I think it's also fairly accurate.

I fucking love the format. The "Next Time on Asura's Wrath" bullshit really grows on you, as does the constant playing around with title cards and the like.
The fact that it has an additional start screen within the first and final chapters is the icing on the goddamn cake. Also the near-full credits sequences at the end of each Act.

Yeah, it's like a freaking TV show with seasons. I like how they "take a break" then come back and redo the lines you heard right before the break. It makes it pretty entertaining.

No one else mentioned it, but I think this is a pretty slick trailer. I was planning to wait until this game was $20, but I'm starting to think it's worth $30 and not waiting so much.

It does look great! I wish this was $40. I'd bite for sure. If this was published by a smaller publisher I wouldn't hesitate to dole out the $60 to support them, but this is Capcom...

AlStrong

Wonder if they thought of releasing it as episodic content on SEN/XBLM. :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just want to say while only a few themes have stood out to me, I really enjoy the music. Mostly the music during
the Augus fight, and then anything to do with Yasha (seems like a western-style theme?)

I love the music on the episode prelude art.

Wonder if they thought of releasing it as episodic content on SEN/XBLM. :p

I get the feeling that was the original intention, but capcom got cold feet as it is quite uncharted waters, given the development budget. a pack of 4 episodes at $15 dollars a pop, staggered over 4+ months, with lost chapters and dlc would of been the perfect way to release this, with a GOTY disc release at the end if it did well enough and Japan geting a disc release from launch.

Jarate

Banned
Finished the main game

What an awesome ̶a̶n̶i̶m̶e̶ story

now all I have to do is grind for that stupid spider level

I betcha that spider has bad intentions too

Can anyone tell me if the game has native Japanese selectable audio and subtitles? Or do they show up if you set your console to Japanese?

Thanks.

Gravijah

only played the first few "episodes" but wow this game is really something else. quite an interesting experience, to say the least.

Jintor

True Ending
total sequel bait, also really annoying how nothing actually changes and they just add more bullshit to the end.

Glad I S-ranked enough stuff on my first runthrough that I didn't have to grind for it.

Volcynika

Awwwwww darn. How many S-Ranks does the True Ending require? Spoiler tag it if you know. I've only got S ranks on just a couple levels.

I beat it last night and I'm still digesting the
true
ending. I'd love to give a full write up, as I care a lot about this game but I just don't have the time. So for now, I'll just give some pro and cons.

Pros

-Great characters
From Asura's seemingly eternal torment to your opponents horrific actions, I either loved or despised the characters accordingly. I can't think of a single character in the entire game that I was down on for some reason. They all had roles to play and they were done wonderfully/brutally.

-Combat
Everything from the responsiveness of your jump and dodge to figuring out the timing to perform juggles and other cool tricks, I had a really good time with the battle system. It's not the most complex, sure, but what it offers is more than serviceable and at times visually stunning.

-Slow moments
There are a couple of times where you're simply walking around and taking in the sights. They left a pretty big impression on me, as the rest of the game is blisteringly unsteady.
Being introduced to the girls village after your rebirth was both calming and terrifying. You could just feel something awful was going to happen, but you had this very small moment of respite after coming up from Naraka and right before the village's destruction.

-Soundtrack
From exhilarating to subdued, then to completely cool
Yasha's theme
, the soundtrack is pretty varied. All ranging from orchestral, gaming hooks and rock. I'd love to get my hands on a soundtrack.

-Playable Yasha
I hope to the sweet Lord God almighty that I get to play as him in some DLC or something. I had a blast playing as him. His move set is just so damn stylish.

Cons

-Frame rate
As I said in one of my previous posts, this is something I immediately took issue with. I know that no UE3 game has had a rock steady frame rate on consoles but it's just something I would like to see cleaned up in a sequel. The last third of the game hangs around the sub twenties most of the time. It's not game breaking, just a minor hindrance. What I'd give to have this game running in 1080p at 60fps. Yum!

-Length
I knew the game would be six hours and I'm happy with what I got, but man do I ever want more. This is a universe that I'd love to continue to explore, I'm just a little bummed I couldn't do more of it with what I have now.

-Audio mixing
There are some odd editing cuts and variable volume levels within conversations. With how high quality the full audio package is, it's a shame they didn't polish it up a pinch. Sliders for all audio options would also be appreciated, not just a single, all encompassing volume slider.

That's about all I can think of right now. I can't wait to dive back in and S the stages on every difficulty and unlock all of the gauges. I've noticed a few are pretty game changing, especially the
increased cool down speed and the faster gauge building.
I'd love to see a sequel have some type of itemization combo'd with the gauge system, nothing overly complicated though. Maybe a single item equip from a selection of ten.

Anyways, CC2 has crafted one hell of an experience that I hope more people find out about and enjoy. Can't wait for the DLC!

jgminto

Rented it from my local video store. Was surprised they had it. Just finished part 1. I am really enjoying this. Especially that last boss battle. The style, the music, it's all so ridiculous. Pleasantly surprised so far.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Just got finish with a play through. Thankfully got enought S ranks to get the extra mission but leaves me with a question

So Mr. Sipder is a bad guy too, does this set up part 2 or will this be resolved with the DLC?

Had more fun with with short game then I had with all 50+ hours I played of Kingdoms of Amalur before I quit and traded it in. Hope they make another game in this style. Game really felt like Dragon Ball Z at its best.

So Mr. Sipder is a bad guy too, does this set up part 2 or will this be resolved with the DLC?

From the screens and news released, the first DLC is between episodes 11/12. The other is between 15/16 and you play as Yasha. I'm hoping it touches on the cosmic weaver. I knew from the get go that he was up to something.
I really hope this turns out to be a sleeper hit.

Volcynika

I just finished the game and did the
true ending stuff.

I'm going to let my brain digest things and then come back with some thoughts.

According to my streaming video length (streamed all but me getting a couple S ranks I needed), took me abouuuuut ~8 hours to complete on Hard.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I got the true end(didn't need to grind at all thankfully), didn't like how
you had to redo that whole chapter again, but damn. I was wondering where Olga was the entire time leading up to fighting Deus, but I completely forgot about her. Didn't see the spider thing coming either.

Fun ride, not really sure if I have it in me to unlock all the gauge stuff though.

I am so incredibly conflicted right now. So the demo was a pretty bad representation of the game?

There's more gameplay than I expected really, so if anything the demo segment on the moon is more indicative of the game instead of the episode 5 one--but note that the demo does a terrible job of telling you what to actually do in combat, so even if you hated the moon fight you still may enjoy it after the tutorial here. There is still tons of QTEs, and the combat is pretty simplistic regardless, but the actual ride is a hell of a fun one.

Volcynika

I got the true end(didn't need to grind at all thankfully), didn't like how
you had to redo that whole chapter again, but damn. I was wondering where Olga was the entire time leading up to fighting Deus, but I completely forgot about her. Didn't see the spider thing coming either.

I wasn't too much of a fan of doing the chapter again (some parts of that I died more than once at), but it was slightly easier. Yeah at the end, I was kinda wondering whether Olga died when I destroyed a ship or something. The spider thing was a bit of a surprise, but I knew something had to go on with the spider, since pretty much all the characters were something important.

As far as the game, here's my thoughts on what I liked and what I didn't like:

Good

-Characters. All of them had their own personalities, there were really no characters I had a huge issue with. It doesn't really seem much of them were neglected and suddenly gone without any real time with them.

-Presentation. The over-the-top style and some of the crazy areas and fights just were great to watch and then obviously do some interaction with. It kept throwing new things at you, was always interested to see what was next. The fact the game was like a TV show, with
credit rolls at the end of each parts, "commercial breaks" where they replayed the last few seconds upon return,
was pretty cool.

-Music. Whyyyyyy is the
Theme of Yasha
not on Youtube? Why! That music, the use of orchestral music in one boss fight, and the interlude music made things so much better.

-Combat. The fighting was not extremely deep, but it was not too extremely shallow. The boss fights were you're having to watch for cues on whether to dodge, jump, attack kept me focused on battles, as you can die pretty quickly in hard difficulty.

-Episode interludes. These were nice little breaks with some nice art and gave you a little more depth into some of the characters motivations.

Bad

The framerate. While the presentation was crazy over-the-top, some of the effect was a bit lost when the game started chugging along in certain areas. Hurt it a bit.

Lip syncing. It was noticeably off most of the game, I think. Olga was probably one of the closest to match the voice to her mouth movements, but it threw me off a bit when the voices really didn't match their mouth at all. I laughed when I remembered Liam O'Brien's interview where he's like "Yeah, they just had me scream a lot."

Replay value. It seems fairly low, mostly since the only reason to replay it are trophies/achievements, new gauges for health and such, and to S rank levels you've done. Not a huge thing depending on the type of person you are.

---

One thing I thought about during the true ending,
was how the style didn't really go with blood and gore in the sense of deaths being more than just fading away. Olga's death alone would've been something insane if they chose to go with people straight up dying rather than just disintegrating. Asura gets his arms broken, but you just see little sparks and stuff, I think (I can't remember the generals name) coughing up orange blood after Asura tore him a new one.

It may not be worth $60 to people, but I got my money's worth, and I really recommend people to check it out when it hits their pricepoint. Really interesting and unique experience to play at the start of the year.

Asura. He so mad.

So, can someone tell me
about the gauges?

What about them in particular?

You can unlock different gauges that have different attributes. One if a defense buff, one lengthens unlimited mode, another speeds up your cool down. I haven't unlocked all of them yet, I think I have 3 left out of eight IIRC.

What about them in particular?

You can unlock different gauges that have different attributes. One if a defense buff, one lengthens unlimited mode, another speeds up your cool down. I haven't unlocked all of them yet, I think I have 3 left out of eight IIRC.

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Been watching this played through on YouTube and it is incredible. Definitely not the type of game I would ever want to play but watching it sure is hilarious and I'm really glad this exists.

So this thread isn't very big... I thought this game would be more popular, is it really the 'Asian God of War' game that it seemed to have been touted to be?

As in... God of War is Ancient Greek Mythology and this is Ancient Asian / Budism Mythology all wrapped in the same type of game?

Crazy button mash enemy destroy fest with huge bosses to kill using those timed button press things that I hate (I won't even say the words) with a start in which you start off completely powerful with all of your powers (which in this game seems to be arms?) and can literally kick arse fucken massive arse while they give you a taste of what you have to unlock over the course of the game, only to have your butt kicked by some proverbial snobbish arrogant bastard who destroys you and you virtually almost 'die' and get sent down to the underworld in which you have to rise from again, collecting a set of 'new' more powerful powers this time around in order to kick that guys arse again at the end of the game who will be the final boss who is the only boss that is small and fast enough to be a challenge to you?

Is that the gist of things? Asian Mythology God of War? I haven't heard or seen anything about this game since the very first trailer so all of this is guessing... it's exciting to see that it's coming out now, but I have no idea about it. I'd consider buying it if it is how I described above.

Is there a PC version planned? If not, how do the graphics compare to God of War as a test of example - because for me, all this game needed to be is Asian Mythology God of War and it would have been perfect (just like Castlevania Lord of Shadows was Norse Mythology God of War).

I hope this post doesn't offend people by being completely off base, as I said I have only ever seen the very first trailer released and though "I don't want to know anything more, I want to buy this, if GAF tells me it's good when it comes out, I will do so, blackout, NOW" because it's the kind of game that is most enjoyable when you know NOTHING about it. :)

Himself

Someday I'll add this to my collection mainly as an oddity. It seems like the type of game you see on your shelf a few years later and think, "I forgot about that...it's a miracle it existed in the first place!"

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
'Asian God of War'

There's very little actual gameplay. There are some character action sequences and some on-rail shooter sequences but the fail condition in them is extremely lenient. They are just time fillers between the bombastic cutscenes, which are filled with quick time events.

The game is more structured after an anime, down to the opening credits during each episode and the "next time on" segments afterwards. The cutscenes themselves are incredible. Over the top and hilarious. I've been enjoying watching them thoroughly and I'm not a fan of anime or even Japanese weirdness in the slightest.

Is it Asian God of War? Even with some of those elements in the actual combat I say not even close. Even with the borrowed elements from other games, there's nothing else like this in existence, and for that reason it's cool. It's just not something I would want to play through personally.

Even if you're the perfect storm of action/shooter gamer and anime fan that would stand to reap the most benefit from playing through this, at a campaign length of around 6 hours, it still might be a shaky value proposition. I'd argue though that it's still probably worth supporting since it is so unique.

There's very little actual gameplay. There are some character action sequences and some on-rail shooter sequences but the fail condition in them is extremely lenient. They are just time fillers between the bombastic cutscenes, which are filled with quick time events.

The game is more structured after an anime, down to the opening credits during each episode and the "next time on" segments afterwards. The cutscenes themselves are incredible. Over the top and hilarious. I've been enjoying watching them thoroughly and I'm not a fan of anime or even Japanese weirdness in the slightest.

Is it Asian God of War? Even with some of those elements in the actual combat I say not even close. Even with the borrowed elements from other games, there's nothing else like this in existence, and for that reason it's cool. It's just not something I would want to play through personally.

Even if you're the perfect storm of action/shooter gamer and anime fan that would stand to reap the most benefit from playing through this, at a campaign length of around 6 hours, it still might be a shaky value proposition. I'd argue though that it's still probably worth supporting since it is so unique.

This gives me no idea what the game is actually like or about. I had no idea it's a shooter!? I hate playing shooters with controllers... so if there are a lot of shooting segments in it then I may not like it.

This is my game collection from this gen (that I still own, I have traded a lot back in but have played).

PS3
God of War III
Vanquish
Metal Gear Solid 4
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
Mortal Kombat
Gran Turismo 5
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
Red Dead Redemption (though I only played about 4 hours of it and I plan to go back "some day" - - - - - maybe)
Ace Combat Assault Horizon

PC (there are too many to list because of Steam so I'll just list my premier games to give the general idea of my taste)
Portal 2
Witcher 2
Skyrim
Kingdom's of Amular
Battlefield 3
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Crysis 2
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit
GRiD
DiRT 2 & 3
Warhammer 40k Space Marine
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Rage
Medal of Honor
Call of Duty 4 (I only play the SP part of the COD games since COD 4)
COD Modern Warfare 2
COD Modern Warfare 3
COD Black Ops

Do y'all think I will like this game and should I add it to my collection?

I think I should watch or read some reviews, but I kind of don't want to know that much about it... is the GT review very spoilerific?

I can't understand the "very little actual gameplay" comment very well!!?! Also - I have no problem with short games, in-fact I prefer them in certain cases. Sometimes you want them to go on and on and on and on and never end (like Skyrim and Amular and games of that type... but others you want to enjoy for the time that they've got).

LiQuid!

I told you exactly what it's like. It's an anime. Plain and simple. If you like anime you'll probably like it but know that the anime is interrupted with gameplay sequences that resemble God of War or Panzer Dragoon. You spend 75% of the time "playing" this game just watching it. The rest of the time if plays like one of the above mentioned games only it's VERY hard to fail because you're just filling up a meter until you can initiate the next cutscene. If you're that confused there's a demo available and about a zillion videos on the internet of people playing the game.

Volcynika

Hey! It can be easy to fail on hard, some enemies do crazy amounts of damage if you're still learning the visual cues and how to dodge specific attacks. Even after knowing them, getting caught too much with a hit can get you a game over.

This gives me no idea what the game is actually like or about. I had no idea it's a shooter!? I hate playing shooters with controllers... so if there are a lot of shooting segments in it then I may not like it.

This is my game collection from this gen (that I still own, I have traded a lot back in but have played).

PS3
God of War III
Vanquish
Metal Gear Solid 4
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
Mortal Kombat
Gran Turismo 5
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
Red Dead Redemption (though I only played about 4 hours of it and I plan to go back "some day" - - - - - maybe)
Ace Combat Assault Horizon

PC (there are too many to list because of Steam so I'll just list my premier games to give the general idea of my taste)
Portal 2
Witcher 2
Skyrim
Kingdom's of Amular
Battlefield 3
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Crysis 2
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit
GRiD
DiRT 2 & 3
Warhammer 40k Space Marine
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Rage
Medal of Honor
Call of Duty 4 (I only play the SP part of the COD games since COD 4)
COD Modern Warfare 2
COD Modern Warfare 3
COD Black Ops

Do y'all think I will like this game and should I add it to my collection?

I think I should watch or read some reviews, but I kind of don't want to know that much about it... is the GT review very spoilerific?

I can't understand the "very little actual gameplay" comment very well!!?! Also - I have no problem with short games, in-fact I prefer them in certain cases. Sometimes you want them to go on and on and on and on and never end (like Skyrim and Amular and games of that type... but others you want to enjoy for the time that they've got).

Play the demo, watch the giant bomb quick look.

The game is mostly cutscenes with QTE's thrown in, and inbetween there are some basic simple brawler and rail-shooter segments. They are not e meat of the game, far from it. They are the glue between the main parts, which is the QTE segments.

What would it be like to play this game with a group of people? Everyone is saying there's no replay value, but I think I can get at least two extra plays out of this game by sharing it with my floormates.

hsukardi

I didn't even know that this game existed -- completely flew under the radar -- until I saw a cover on a retail game shop today. Was it so bad that almost no marketing was allocated to it?

I read about it and seems interesting. On one hand I'd like to buy it to support Cyber Connect and on the other I prefer games with more interactivity/gameplay..

Captain N

I just worked a whole week and a half of 12 hour work days. I'm reward myself with this to play on my 3 days off. I can't wait!

Top Bottom