• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cactus

Banned
Mobile phone question - does upgrading from a 3G plan to an LTE plan improve network/cell service, or just internet speed? Thanks!

krae_man

Yup. I'm already with them on an old $30 plan, but I'm considering the upgrade since my phone is apparently LTE-eligible.

I don't talk on the phone much, so I can't really speak about phone call quality. I never had a problem with it.

As far as LTE goes, the speeds are night and day. I've topped 100mbps before. LTE has different dead zones since they are still growing it but the 4g takes over fine in those instances.

Also if you upgrade to the right phone, they offer Wifi calling on the plans now too.

What phone?

Cactus

Banned
I don't talk on the phone much, so I can't really speak about phone call quality. I never had a problem with it.

As far as LTE goes, the speeds are night and day. I've topped 100mbps before. LTE has different dead zones since they are still growing it but the 4g takes over fine in those instances.

Also if you upgrade to the right phone, they offer Wifi calling on the plans now too.

What phone?

Thanks. I'm kind of concerned about network/call quality since there have been recent instances where I did not receive a text.

moto g5 plus

And mine is saying: "Arriving 29 Aug - 31 Aug"

Oh amazon...

Mine shows up as being scanned in town (Regina) at 4:15 this morning...hopefully it's there when I get home. Not holding my breath, but that would be incredible to, for the first time ever, through Amazon, not only get a game on time, but a day ahead of time.

THE-JUV

And mine is saying: "Arriving 29 Aug - 31 Aug"

Oh amazon...

mine conveniently changed to that over the past few weeks as well, so I chatted online with an agent this morning and got them to ensure I get it tomorrow and my status for the game has now changed to "preparing for shipment". I better get this tomorrow lol

krae_man

Thanks. I'm kind of concerned about network/call quality since there have been recent instances where I did not receive a text.

moto g5 plus

FYI, some people have experienced problems accessing LTE on phone not sold through Freedom.

It's apparently not as simple as "your phone has band 66, therefore you're good to go".

Do some research.

Sealtest

Any stores selling xbox one s bundles for $299 besides Amazon? I'm looking at finally getting one but rather not get the Minecraft bundle.

No one answered me in the TV thread, so I'll try here:

I'm looking to buy a TV to take back to college with me, and my only concern is getting a TV that has a ton of input lag or something else that will interfere with my gaming sessions. I play a lot of online fps games, so every frame matters. I never considered any kind of specs when buying my old TV (Samsung UN40J5200) and it seemed fine to me, but after reading some stuff on GAF, I'm kind of worried now about messing up with my next purchase.

Basically, I just want to know which specs I should look at, and what numbers I should be aiming to see. I'm aiming for a LED 40" 1080p for roughly $500CAD. I'm guessing that I should pay attention to motion blur and [native] refresh rate? But I have no idea what numbers are good for those, and which are red flags.

I'm looking to buy a TV to take back to college with me, and my only concern is getting a TV that has a ton of input lag or something else that will interfere with my gaming sessions. I play a lot of online fps games, so every frame matters. I never considered any kind of specs when buying my old TV (Samsung UN40J5200) and it seemed fine to me, but after reading some stuff on GAF, I'm kind of worried now about messing up with my next purchase.

Basically, I just want to know which specs I should look at, and what numbers I should be aiming to see. I'm aiming for a LED 40" 1080p for roughly $500CAD. I'm guessing that I should pay attention to motion blur and [native] refresh rate? But I have no idea what numbers are good for those, and which are red flags.
If response time is a big issue then maybe look at computer monitors. You may not get 39" for that price but maybe 32" with 1ms.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
FYI, some people have experienced problems accessing LTE on phone not sold through Freedom.

It's apparently not as simple as "your phone has band 66, therefore you're good to go".

Do some research.

To add to this, even LTE phones sold through Freedom arent guaranteed to work. Its only on their most recent phones they want to push.

I bought an LG G5 from them last year, they rolled out LTE a few weeks after and my phone wasnt eligible. Total bullshit.

SickBoy

A couple of totally unrelated (to each other) questions:

1) Has anyone tried Super Blood Hockey (just a link to its Steam page)? Really curious to know more and hear more opinions about it. Not likely to grab it on PC because I don't really play local multi on PC, but asked the dev and he says he's planning to look at porting it elsewhere. I want to know if I should be salivating for it.... I do have semi-regular get-togethers with friends and this seems to be right up our alley (we used to play NHL on the Genesis every week).

2) Any insight on the best non-Freedom mobile plan at the moment? (Also: anyone have any feedback re: PC Mobile) I've got a loyalty plan I'm very happy with, but my wife's contract up and her cheaper loyalty plan no longer meets her data needs. Wind/Freedom doesn't work for us (and especially her) because of relatively frequent visits outside the "home" zone. There seem to be some decent BYOD promos with Koodo and Virgin, and PC Mobile seems pretty competitive too, with perhaps better options in terms of sliding data rates. I'm just wondering if I'm missing any great promos. If I'm going with an MVNO, I lean towards providers on Telus/Bell's network, just because while I don't have any factual basis for this belief, I feel like they offer better coverage in the west than Rogers, based on various anecdotes and my suspicion of Rogers ;).

btkadams

https://displaylag.com/display-database/

Input lag is still not really something that TV manufacturers openly list in their features or specs. I found that website helpful.

krae_man

To add to this, even LTE phones sold through Freedom arent guaranteed to work. Its only on their most recent phones they want to push.

I bought an LG G5 from them last year, they rolled out LTE a few weeks after and my phone wasnt eligible. Total bullshit.

They are well on their way to only having LTE phones in their portfolio.

They have 21 phones on their site now and only 7 aren't LTE and two of those aren't even smartphones.

The unfortunate reality of their spectrum portfolio is LTE was always going to require a new phone. It was just an unavoidable reality of their situation. Rogers, Bell and Telus own all other spectrum, so the only way they can expand is with new spectrum that will require new phones.

At that size, don't worry too much. GAF, well, it's enthusiasm that sometimes brings out overemphasis on features few will notice/care about.

Also remember many review sites do aggregate scoring i.e. Things you may not care about are factored into score (e.g. Smart features, viewing angle, ATSC tuner). If you only play games and watch Netflix siiting 6 feet away straight on, then it's hard to find a bad TV at 40".

Vizio D has low lag (check rtings.com) and is really low priced for what you get. Also widely available.

A couple of totally unrelated (to each other) questions:

1) Has anyone tried Super Blood Hockey (just a link to its Steam page)? Really curious to know more and hear more opinions about it. Not likely to grab it on PC because I don't really play local multi on PC, but asked the dev and he says he's planning to look at porting it elsewhere. I want to know if I should be salivating for it.... I do have semi-regular get-togethers with friends and this seems to be right up our alley (we used to play NHL on the Genesis every week).

2) Any insight on the best non-Freedom mobile plan at the moment? (Also: anyone have any feedback re: PC Mobile) I've got a loyalty plan I'm very happy with, but my wife's contract up and her cheaper loyalty plan no longer meets her data needs. Wind/Freedom doesn't work for us (and especially her) because of relatively frequent visits outside the "home" zone. There seem to be some decent BYOD promos with Koodo and Virgin, and PC Mobile seems pretty competitive too, with perhaps better options in terms of sliding data rates. I'm just wondering if I'm missing any great promos. If I'm going with an MVNO, I lean towards providers on Telus/Bell's network, just because while I don't have any factual basis for this belief, I feel like they offer better coverage in the west than Rogers, based on various anecdotes and my suspicion of Rogers ;).

If her usage is consistent with no overages, public mobile is good value. Runs off Telus/Koodo network. Yeah, there's no stores or call centre, but I prefer the forum messaging for support in any case as everything is in writing and time stamped.

superbad

I just purchased Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival at Walmart for the fire sale price of $4.96. They also had the other AC amiibos for $2.46, and a Ryu amiibo for $4.96.

Is there already a post somewhere regarding these Wal-Mart clearance titles?

I happened to be at one of my local stores tonight and picked these up:

3DS Pilotwings $9.96
3DS Fantasy Life $9.96
3DS Code Name: Steam $4.96

XB1 Battleborn $3.00
XB1 Dark Souls III $4.96
XB1 Dark Souls III: Fire Fades Edition $9.96

There were other 3DS games.

Disney Planes $4.96
Spirit Camera $4.96
Bravely Default 2 $19.96
Chibi-Robo w/amiibo $9.96

Not much for PS4 that I could see.

3DS Pilotwings $9.96
3DS Fantasy Life $9.96

XB1 Battleborn $3.00
XB1 Dark Souls III $4.96

Disney Planes $4.96
Spirit Camera $4.96
Bravely Default 2 $19.96

Shit, I gotta hit up a Walmart. Those prices are perfect.

Shit, I gotta hit up a Walmart. Those prices are perfect.

Aren't these walmart clearances entirely YMMV? I remember when Capitan Toad was dirt cheap in Ontario, but the Montreal region Walmarts refused to price match against themselves, despite confirming the lower price in Ontario in their system. Having said that I bought quite a few 9.96$ 3DS titles recently so don't let me stop you!

Public Mobile plans are pretty bad now. For some reason they're marketing 3G speeds.

I think the best plan you can get now is the Manitoba/Saskatchewan loophole with Koodo.

i-Jest

3DS Pilotwings $9.96
3DS Fantasy Life $9.96

XB1 Battleborn $3.00
XB1 Dark Souls III $4.96

Disney Planes $4.96
Spirit Camera $4.96
Bravely Default 2 $19.96

I can fucks wit Fantasy Life for that price.

Public Mobile plans are pretty bad now. For some reason they're marketing 3G speeds.

I think the best plan you can get now is the Manitoba/Saskatchewan loophole with Koodo.

True, but those loopholes have been around for years...if this persons been with wind this entire time, I assumed they were not comfortable using another province plan to begin with, which makes PM a good option (LTE still there too). Otherwise, yes thats the best option.

Hrm, there's an Xbox X trade in promo at EB? Even with 200 off, that's still 400...

Wait till we get closer to black friday. Very good chance we'll see an extra $100 value, either with free games or. TIV increase.

kevin1025

Banned
Good luck to everyone on the SNES Classic! I won't be jumping in since I'll be waiting forever for Switch Virtual Console, haha, but hopefully Canada (and Nintendo shortages) delivers for those that want it!

Hrm, there's an Xbox X trade in promo at EB? Even with 200 off, that's still 400...

Horrible deal IMO based on what the XB1X brings to the table.

That was the price of a new PS4 at the start of the generation which was a far bigger leap over PS3 than what the XB1X will be over XB1. Plus of course, $400 was the price of a PS4 and you got to keep your PS3 (not $400 after a trade in).

jholmes

Good luck to everyone on the SNES Classic! I won't be jumping in since I'll be waiting forever for Switch Virtual Console, haha, but hopefully Canada (and Nintendo shortages) delivers for those that want it!

StarFox 2 is one of the few games I'm looking forward to this fall so yeah, I'll be all kinds of upset if this is another nightmare situation.

But then I managed to pick up a couple NES Classics without much hassle so what do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom