• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak and Daxter PS2 Trilogy (and Jak X) coming to PS4 via PS2 Classics

On the one hand, that's true. On the other hand, It's still available on the store for purchase at the reduced price.

Yes, if you own a PS3 or a VITA. Otherwise, you're out of luck. This PS2 Classics port is going to be available only for PS4, not for the other two consoles.

You would be 100% right, if this Classics port was going to be out for PS3/VITA.

EDIT: (Oh and let's not forget Jak X never came on PS3/VITA).

Footage actually looks pretty nice - the PS2 on PS4 titles also benefit from boost mode so hopefully we're looking at a stable 60fps with a nice 1080p upscale. I'm actually kind of happy not to have to buy Jak 2 and 3, they're both gigantic let downs after the masterful first entry.

It has some pretty severe difficulty spikes at times, yes. It's the Dark Souls of 3D platformers*.

*Semi-serious.

Kind of stretch to call Jak 2 a platformer, the focus of the games changed so much.

big fake

This is great but all I want to see before I die is a Jak 4 announced. If there is a god then let this come to fruition!

RedBoot

For all the "Why not port the PS3 remaster?" questions: this method was likely easier. Sony has a working PS2 emulator for the PS4. Outside of maybe having to account for the technical weirdness that the original J&D did, getting them running on that emulator was likely a simple process. Porting the PS3 builds would be significantly more work, probably more money than they're willing to spend on J&D right now.

As for how they'll run, generally the PS2 on PS4 games run as well as they did on the PS2, and occasionally a bit better (Okage has much better load times on the PS4, for instance). Outside of the occasional new bug (Hi Wild Arms 3!), I wouldn't worry. If you can stand to play the PS2 original, this one will be fine. I'm not familiar with how well the PS3 remaster worked so I can't say if it's better or worse.

Seeing J&D in this service is a good thing, because it means we're likely to see other series that had PS3 remasters (Ratchet, Sly, Ico/SoTC, etc) make it to the PS4.

Why not just port the PS3 remaster? I'd rather spend money on that then this. It's not like this is free BC.

They have a working PS2 emulator, so all they have to do is put in trophies and this is good to go. It makes more sense than porting a PS3 game.

Also, the PS2 emulator can probably run the games better than the Remaster.

Essentially the PS3 remaster would require more effort for a possibly inferior product. This makes a lot of sense given the already shitty (no crossbuy) route they took with their PS2 emulator.

edit: beaten by a red boot.

Camjo-Z

Will buy Jak 1 immediately, maybe Jak 3 later on, and Jak 2 when I feel like hurting myself but physical violence just isn't doing the trick anymore.

If they just did this more frequently, I would be ok with this form of b/c, even with Xbox's more superior feature.

Keep churning em out Sony, taking too long. I would probably rebuy

Dark Cloud 2 (I did)
Maximo
Primal
Kingdom Hearts Games (I did)
Final Fantasy Games (I did)
Devil May Cry Collection (I did)
Metal Gear Solid Collection
Ico
Sotc
Street Fighter 3 Third Strike
...few other obscure games that are really great.

The cherry picking idea is cool, but at the start of the gen, I really did think PS4 was going to be the relaunch of Playstation (it kinda is) and Sony would go forward from here on and make it play just about all past PS games in different forms of B/C. PS3 with Now and remasters. PS1/PSP/PS2 with emulation as classics.

Feels like a missed opportunity as I know PS1 games, as stated by Yoshida himself is fairly easy to get running on PS4. Maybe Sony is saving this for later in the PS4's life when value becomes the main selling point however.

Other than that reasoning though, phooey to Sony on B/c. I'll still support it though and buy Jak

Every Vicarious Visions game had Naughty Dog staff helping to some degree, and were credited in the games. Some designers from Naughty Dog even worked on assets for Crash Nitro Kart (I think it had to do with concept art, track design, or art. Can't remember right now.) Yes it's not technically going to flat-out say Naughty Dog, but they will probably get credited.

If they helped a bit, that's great to hear...and if so I'll retract the "Naughty Dog are not involved in any way" statement I made earlier.

But my original point was, calling the Crash Remake trilogy a ND game is wrong. Even though ND helped a little bit, most of the game was developed by VV. So this is a VV game. It's going to be under their name, not ND's.

If they helped a bit, that's great to hear...and if so I'll retract the "Naughty Dog are not involved in any way" statement I made earlier.

But my original point was, calling the Crash Remake trilogy a ND game is wrong. Even though ND helped a little bit, most of the game was developed by VV. So this is a VV game. It's going to be under their name, not ND's.

I mean we all know the real way the internet will determine whose game the Crash remaster is.

Game sucks: Vicarious Visions
Game rocks: Naughty Dog

Oh, so this is straight up the PS2 versions but with the PS4 PS2 classics treatment? So these should be the definitive versions of the games then, unless they randomly introduce new issues somehow.

Also, Jak X is a fantastic game. Have they said how they're gonna deal with the unlockables characters (so the 3 Jaks for having a save of each game, the Daxter characters and car for a Daxter save, and Ratchet from a Ratchet Gladiator save?)

Dabi

Just like that, ND nearly has it's entire catalogue on the PS4.

I hope the next PS2 classics to get this treatment are Ico and SOTC.

RedBoot

Also why is this slated "later this year" instead of like next week

Sony's release schedule for these is a little unclear, at times (see: all the Ape Escape 3 requests). I'd expect Jak 1 to roll out at random sometime soon, with the other three released periodically afterwards.

RAIDEN1

I tried the Jak and Daxter trilogy on PS3, just couldn't get into it..that was when it was free on PS+....and sony need to bring out a lot more than this!! Currently (if I am correct ) only 49 PS2 games to play on the PS4...why not more!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I platinumed all 3 Jak games when the collection came out for PS3....not sure I want to do that all over again lol

I think Sony is either testing our interest in the series for a possible Jak 4, or this is a hint that one is coming.....either way, support this any way you can and show that we want a Jak 4!!!!

I must have rose coloured glasses remembering Jak 2 because I remember liking it as a child lol. Borrowed my cousin's PS2 to play through this series, it was a great time.

If they just did this more frequently, I would be ok with this form of b/c, even with Xbox's more superior feature.

Keep churning em out Sony, taking too long. I would probably rebuy

Dark Cloud 2 (I did)
Maximo
Primal

Primal is out on PS4 already.

VanWinkle

This is GREAT NEWS.

For anybody that doesn't know, and this MAY only be the case for J&D 1 (the best one), but the PS3 collection actually CROPPED the field of view to make it widescreen. It was a travesty.

Schlomo

The PS3 "HD" remaster was sub 720p, so this will likely be higher res. J&D 1 is one of my favourite games ever, so I'll probably buy it again.

Was thinking last night how nice it would be if I could play my PS3 games on the PS4. The remaster is on PS3, wish they'd just bring those over or there was a way to play them. Along with all of my other PS3 games

That trailer was really neat. Will be fun to play Jak X after all these years too.

Never played this.

Trace

Banned
Will probably buy Jak X because I haven't played that game since like 2005. Already have the HD collection so I unless I see 1-3 for cheap they'll have to stay on my PS3.

Jak 2 is the worst PS2 game of all time. The first game is great. The third is meh.

tenor.gif

Hmmm, that's good for those on the PS4. If this isn't any better than the PS3 HD trilogy, I can just buy that for cheap instead.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Would rather have the remaster on disc, though I'm really interested in playing the first Jak as it's apparently a traditional 3D platformer and the missing link between Crash and what came after from Naughty Dog, will probably pick that one up.

Never owned a PS2 or PS3 (though I had a PS1), so this is big for me.

Top Bottom