• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

This. My main concerns with the new control options:

- Sprint on LS and Crouch on B isn't going to feel like Halo (at first).

- Does this mean maps won't be designed with crouch-jumping in mind?

- I hope jetpack can be activated with the jump button, because I want to map jumping to LB, not AAs. Even if (god forbid) it behaves just like it does in Reach, that setup should work fine.

Yeah, if you have Jet pack equipped let us double tap jump or hold jump to use it in addition to the normal AA button.

GhaleonEB

Sprint noise is issue number 1.

I like it it makes my female spartan sound like she is having intercourse

I play male spartan

AND I STILL LIKE IT

Waypoint forums are a joke

My personal favorite is when there is a mix of male and female spartans on the team, and the panting is alternating nicely. Gets the game off to a very hawt start.

FyreWulff

I play female spartan so I can help tell the difference between a teammate sprinting and enemies sprinting audio-wise, really helpful when you have headphones. I also had other reasons, but at this point those reasons don't really matter anymore :p

Headphones are also good for people that never shut up since every Halo LIVE game places their voice in 3D space, so I'll be like "where the hell is this guy at?", then they start yammering and I can zero in on their location. Which is why I leave being able to hear the other team on.

If anyone here who knows stuff about PC gaming could help me I'd appreciate it. So I want to play Halo 2 PC, but according to that can you run it site, my laptop's graphics card isn't good enough. Although looking at the description thing it looks I should be able to. Here's the pic,

halo2pc.jpg

If someone could explain it to me that would be sweet.

First off, we're including a bunch of control options so players can pick the one that best suits their playstyle. For me, I haven't needed to crouch jump very much on our levels so I don't find myself doing it often. You can definitely still crouch jump with B, you'd just need to be a little more careful about aiming your direction before you jump.
Once again, sounds good. Any possibility of fully customizable controls? it would be a great way to let people make tweaks and prioritize ways of play.

That is a great article. Btw, is MP being called 'War Games' new? I think that is the first I heard of it.
Also-

While the Chief will eventually wind up on the planet below (Requiem), much of the game will play out on the Forever Unto Dawn, O'Connor says.

I wonder how that will end up panning out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

There are two things incorrect about this statement:

While the Chief will eventually wind up on the planet below (Requiem), much of the game will play out on the Forever Unto Dawn, O'Connor says

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...-master-chief-article-1.1068510#ixzz1tGX0agDl

The vast, dizzying majority of the game does NOT in fact take place on the Forward Unto Dawn.

That was a pretty cool article. The room was super noisy, so I'm not suprised he misheard a couple of things. Also, Cortana talk a lot more on that level because she's expositing you up to speed. Inlcuding training you on gameplay basics. It's not a typical density of banter.

feel

The entire game has visuals that rival — perhaps even exceed — the vast abilities of EA's Frostbite 2 engine.
From here.
I assume they're comparing to the console version, Halo 4 should shit on that easily on IQ alone, BF3 looks very messy on xbox.

My personal favorite is when there is a mix of male and female spartans on the team, and the panting is alternating nicely. Gets the game off to a very hawt start.
dboBTuUN1tE6Li.gif

heckfu

Banned
Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be making my much anticipated return to Halo Reach in about 30 minutes. Hope to see a full party.

Holiday

Banned
The whole BR spread thing was a troll, right? I mean, there's no way they would bring back such an awful mechanic, especially when they said less than two weeks ago that it was out. Right? No one makes such poor decisions.

Please don't mess up bumper jumper, please don't mess up bumper jumper.

Sprint on A, AA on X (hopefully jetpack will work differently), swap grenades on left-right control pad, and weapon switch on up-down control pad should work. Or leave weapon switch on Y and B remains as "use/pickup/whatever". That would work for me.

The whole BR spread thing was a troll, right? I mean, there's no way they would bring back such an awful mechanic, especially when they said less than two weeks ago that it was out. Right? No one makes such poor decisions.

BR with spread makes sense in a game that has a DMR and a scoped pistol. Bullet spread and locked ROF are good ways to define weapon roles. I'm hoping the spread on the BR won't be as annoying this time around thanks to the removal of bullet travel time.

Ramirez

You mean the same guys who killed Squad Slayer, renamed TU slayer to something that doesn't even begin to convey what the playlist is, & added 2 more people to TO for no real reason? Probably not a troll.

Did that guy really wear that tanktop in real-life?

You wouldn't?

feel

343i needs to stop treating all the customers like brain dead morons and just allow custom button mapping!! Include the normal layout options, and then at the end of the menu a custom one with huge red warning banner asking for confirmation and letting people know the possible consequences before letting them make their own config.

343i needs to stop treating all the customers like brain dead morons and just allow custom button mapping!! Include the normal layout options, and then at the end of the menu a custom one with huge red warning banner asking for confirmation and letting people know the possible consequences before letting them make their own config.

Yeah. It's time for this. Is there some kind of technical (.map?) reason for that feature not being included already?

EDIT:
MLG spent all the Halo Money on rent for their swanky Park Ave. offices. Never forget.

kylej

Banned

Player choice is a huge reason why COD is successful. And I'm not saying that as a joke, 343 should let people play how they want. The loadouts seem to be heading in that direction; very curious to see how the playlist/veto/matchmaking system works in H4. The "praying for a good gametype/map to show up" has got to be gone I would imagine.

feel

Yeah. It's time for this. Is there some kind of technical (.map?) reason for that feature not being included already?
Bungie was afraid people would end up with bad layouts that didn't allow for the game to be played properly, which is laughable considering some of the default layouts ended up broken anyways. 343i once again following on wrong Bungie footsteps.

The "praying for a good gametype/map to show up" has got to be gone I would imagine.
It's about damn time this happens in Halo, you don't see that in other top games, people need to get to play what they want.

Bungie was afraid people would end up with bad layouts that didn't allow for the game to be played properly, which is laughable considering some of the default layout ended up broken anyways..

If thats the case, they could just warn users if they go to custom map buttons that it could effect gameplay experience and they recommend default, or something like that. I hope they do allow custom mapping, I probably will tweak the controls to help crouch jumping.

daedalius

Since they are defining weapon roles and balance based on range, it probably isn't a troll.

the dmr is an exceptional long range weapon, the BR is an exceptional mid range weapon, and supposedly they will beat one another in their strength zones based on player skill.

if you don't want any spread or recoil, use the dmr.

Also they've said they are still in the process or tuning the weapons, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it change again.

Bungie was afraid people would end up with bad layouts that didn't allow for the game to be played properly, which is laughable considering some of the default layout ended up broken anyways..

Wow. That is unfortunate.

Since they are defining weapon roles and balance based on range, it probably isn't a troll.

the dmr is an exceptional long range weapon, the BR is an exceptional mid range weapon, and supposedly they will beat one another in their strength zones based on player skill.

if you don't want any spread or recoil, use the dmr.

This could backfire or it could be really cool. If executed properly, this approach to the precision weapons could open up some interesting decisions for players. If I'm on a small map I pick the BR/Magnum loadout, if I'm on a medium sized map with long sight lines I go DMR/Magnum, and if I'm on a large map with vehicles I want the DMR/Plasma pistol OR DMR/magnum with sticky grenades.

Under that system I would get to start every game with weapons I want while at the same time getting a nice mix of weapons to play with across all the games.

I'm still nervous about weapon drops, but if they aren't a "win more"/killstreak mechanic by default it sounds like they could work.

GhaleonEB

BR with spread makes sense in a game that has a DMR and a scoped pistol. Bullet spread and locked ROF are good ways to define weapon roles. I'm hoping the spread on the BR won't be as annoying this time around thanks to the removal of bullet travel time.

Yup, even with identical spread to the Halo 3 BR - and it sounds like there will be less - the hitscan version will be more precise. Enough to limit its effective range, especially compared to the DMR. I am really liking their differentiation, on paper; I just hope the DMR has a 2x scope as a 3x would push its range out too far.

What do I do if I want a utility weapon that doesn't have built-in randomness? Hit the bricks?

If you are not landing shots with the BR due to spread, that is the gun telling you that you're out of range. Get closer, or use a longer range precision weapon. Pushing engagement distances out too far is detrimental to the game, and it's a very good sign that 343 is intentionally pulling them in, after Reach.

If anyone here who knows stuff about PC gaming could help me I'd appreciate it. So I want to play Halo 2 PC, but according to that can you run it site, my laptop's graphics card isn't good enough. Although looking at the description thing it looks I should be able to. Here's the pic,

halo2pc.jpg

If someone could explain it to me that would be sweet.

Your card is fine, the problem is that Halo2 is programmed for Vista and it doesn't work super well on 7. I installed it last week and it ran horribly, and my PC runs BF3 maxed out.

edit: I even played with the Win7 compatibility options setting them to Vista for the Halo2 game, and it didnt change anything. Menus were all weird, gameplay was slightly choppy, very strange.

Top Bottom