• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Zoe

Sealda said:
J-GAF i am looking for a song in which the music video, girls in school uniforms are getting murdered or murdering each other. I first thought it was AKB48 but i have yet to find it. Apparently it was very popular 1 year ago or something. I even think i found it in this thread, but i am not sure.

Beginner, original version. It was pulled because it was too violent.

Kyon

Banned
Sealda said:
J-GAF i am looking for a song in which the music video, girls in school uniforms are getting murdered or murdering each other. I first thought it was AKB48 but i have yet to find it. Apparently it was very popular 1 year ago or something. I even think i found it in this thread, but i am not sure.

Beginner?

EDIT: Beaten so hard, i should be ashamed

Not sure if anyone can help, but basically, I'm trying to find a website where I can buy legal digital albums for Japanese music (mainly from major labels). Not sure where would be best to look after iTunes (would prefer to avoid it if possible). Anyone know of an alternative website to find some Japanese music?

Bonus if the content can be bought in £ but if they have a PayPal option, I'll take it...

Thanks in advance :)

Lain

I think I'm about to cry. I just received an email from cdjapan informing me that a new CD by AYA called flow was up for preorder, which led me to discover she put out a mini cd this past April (why didn't cdjapan send me an alert back then?!?!).
I kept hoping she'd release something once again that this really makes my day.

EDIT: Well, after some digging, this is just another AYA that goes by the same name as the AYA I love. I don't understand why cdjapan sent me the notice. Fuck this shit, now I'm feeling down.

Deeku

That new(ish) Tokyo Jihen album is great.

New Sakanaaction is ok.

Looove the new Angela Aki album even though half of it is covers.

That's basically all I've bought over the past few weeks.

psyched for the new Perfume, also Miyavi is touring the US again , and i advise you to go see him if you can.
Also new GazettE is not that bad surprisingly.

Angry Fork

Is there any list of critically acclaimed Japanese music that I could look into? For example for western stuff you've got Time 500 best songs, bands like the beatles, rolling stones etc. people who are universally known for their albums. Is there something like this for Japanese music?

Angry Fork said:
Is there any list of critically acclaimed Japanese music that I could look into? For example for western stuff you've got Time 500 best songs, bands like the beatles, rolling stones etc. people who are universally known for their albums. Is there something like this for Japanese music?
Have you listened to YMO? They got pretty big in the west, so they're one of the only "critically-acclaimed" groups I can think of.

I don't live in Japan, but I only really hear people talking about sales charts, like Oricon. I've gotten kind of jaded about the music industry, it's pretty corrupt with how people get promoted. There are plenty of magazines and stuff, but I haven't really read many critics except on western blogs. Most of it just seems to be based on how much your promoter is able to get you onto TV.

Angry Fork said:
Use this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oricon
My recommendations are Utada Hikaru and my favorite band NICO Touches the Walls.

Cool thread.

For some reason, it's weird to me to hear music all over the world sounding like Western music.

I don't want to say it's disappointing...but idunno. As one who appreciates the unique flavor of time-cured culture, seeing that uniqueness melted into pop beats that sound like Dr. Luke or Timberland produced them is kinda...idunno. Oh well. It's all good, though. I have no idea what's being said, but it all sounds cool.

Angry Fork said:
There was a list put out by Rolling Stone Japan a few years back of the top 100 albums. It's a decent list with some interesting choices on there, but stuff like putting Puffy, Dir En Grey and Southern All Stars over Blankey Jet City, Super Car, Sunny Day Service, Number Girl, Shiina Ringo and Elephant Kashimashi etc. is fucking insane, unforgivable bullshit. Still, worth looking into as there are mainstream and more indie/underground choices on the list.

1. Happy End 『風街ろまん』(Kazemachi Roman) / 1971 (#32)
2. RC SUCCESSION『ラプソディ』(Rhapsody) / 1980 (#52)
3. The Blue Hearts『ザ・ブルーハーツ』(The Blue Hearts) / 1987 (#20)
4. YMO『Solid State Survivor』/ 1979
5. Yazawa Eikichi『ゴールドラッシュ』(Gold Rush) / 1978
6. Shoukichi Kina & Champloose『喜納昌吉&チャンプルーズ』(Shoukichi Kina & Champloose) / 1977
7. Ohtaki Eiichi『ア・ロング・バケーション』 (A Long Vacation) / 1981
8. Fishmans『空中キャンプ』( Kuuchuu Camp) / 1996 (#3)
9. Sadistic Mika Band『黒船』(Kurofune) / 1974 (#104)
10. Cornelius『ファンタズマ』(Fantasma) / 1997 (#9)
11. Sano Motoharu『SOMEDAY』/ 1982
12. Arai Yumi『ひこうき雲』(Hikouki Kumo) / 1973 (#25)
13. The Jacks『ジャックスの世界』(Jacks no Sekai) / 1968 (#61)
14. Yamashita Tatsuro『SPACY』/ 1977 (#39)
15. X『BLUE BLOOD』/ 1989
16. Anarchy『アナーキー』(Anarchy) / 1980
17. Carol『燃えつきる~ラスト・ライヴ』(Moetsukiru -Last Live) / 1975
18. Togawa Jun『玉姫様』(Tamahime-sama) / 1983 (#50)
19. The Plastics『Welcome Plastics』/ 1980 (#72)
20. Murahachibu『ライブ』(Live) / 1973 (#4)
21. Friction『軋轢』(Atsureki) / 1980 (#12)
22. Ankoku Tairiku Jagatara『南蛮渡来』(Nanban Torai) / 1982 (#11)
23. BOW WOW『WARNING FROM STARDUST』/ 1982
24. Gedou『外道』(Gedou) / 1974
25. Boredoms『Chocolate Synthesizer』/ 1994
26. Yano Akiko『ジャパニーズ・ガール』(Japanese Girl) / 1976
27. The Stalin『STOP JAP』/ 1982
28. The Roosters『Good Dreams』/ 1984
29. Mute Beat『FLOWER』/ 1987
30. Endou Kenji『満足できるかな』(Manzoku Dekiru Kana) / 1971 (#106)
31. Yuukadan『生聞59分』(Seibun 59 Mins) / 1977
32. Southern All Stars『人気者で行こう』(Ninkimono de ikou) / 1984
33. INU『メシ喰うな』(Meshi kuu na) / 1981 (#21)
34. Dir en grey『Withering to Death』/ 2005
35. Flipper’s Guitar『CAMERA TALK』/ 1990 (#131)
36. Char『PSYCHE』/ 1988
37. Shonen Knife『LET’S KNIFE』/ 1992 (#74)
38. Yonin Bayashi『一触即発』(Isshoku Sokuhatsu) / 1974
39. Carmen Maki&OZ『カルメン・マキ&OZ』(Carmen Maki&OZ) / 1975
40. Loudness『DISILLUSION~撃剣霊化~』(Disillusion ~ Gekiken Reika) / 1984
41. RC SUCCESSION『カバーズ』(Covers) / 1988 (#124)
42. Zelda『ゼルダ』(Zelda) / 1982
43. Rebecca『IV~Maybe Tomorrow』/ 1985
44. Sheena & Rockets『真空パック』(Shinkuu Back) / 1979
45. Godaigo『CMソング・グラフィティ・ゴダイゴ・スーパー・ヒッツ』(CM Song Graffiti Godaigo Super Hits) / 1978
46. Tama『ひるね』(Hirune) / 1991 03;)
47. Merzbow『緊縛の為の音楽』(Music for Bondage Performance) / 1991
48. Kahimi Karie『MY FIRST KARIE』/ 1995
49. Fushitsusha『1st』/ 1989 
50. Elephant Kashimashi『エレファント カシマシ II』(Elephant Kashimashi II) / 1988
51. Guitar Wolf『狼惑星』(Ookami Wakusei) / 1997 (#126)
52. P-MODEL『IN A MODEL ROOM』/ 1979 (#125)
53. Itou Seikou『MESS/AGE』/ 1989 (#129)
54. Buffalo Daughter『Captain Vapor Athletes』/ 1996
55. Aburadako『あぶらだこ』(Aburadako) / 1985
56. Zunou Keisatsu『頭脳警察1』(Zunou Keisatsu 1) / 1972
57. Murasaki『紫』(Murasaki) / 1976
58. Ippudou『LUNATIC MENU』/ 1982
59. Tei Towa『Future Listening!』/ 1994
60. Rankin Taxi『ワイルドで行くぞ』(Wild de iku zo) / 1991
61. Ken Ishii『JELLY TONES』/ 1995
62. Creation『ピュア・エレクトリック・ソウル』(Pure Electric Soul) / 1977
63. Violent Onsen Geisha『NATION OF RHYTHM SLAVES』/ 1996
64. Pizzicato Five『HAPPY END OF THE WORLD』/ 1997
65. Moon Riders『青空百景』(Aozora Hyakkei) / 1982
66. S.O.B.『WHAT’S THE TRUTH?』/ 1990
67. The Fantastic Plastic Machine『The Fantastic Plastic Machine』/ 1997
68. Takagi Kan『グラス・ルーツ』(Grass Roots) / 1992
69. Ozawa Kenji『LIFE』/ 1994 (#53)
70. Rosa Luxemburg『ぷりぷり』(Puripuri) / 1986 (#8)
71. Flower Traveling Band『Satori』/ 1971 (#76)
72. Denki Groove『A (エース)』/ 1997 (#101)
73. Salon Music『La Paloma Show』/ 1984
74. Scha Dara Parr『5TH Wheel 2 the coach』/ 1995 (#86)
75. BOOWY『JUST A HERO』/ 1986
76. Puffy 『JET CD』/ 1998
77. Izumiya Shigeru『’80のバラッド』(‘80 no Ballad) / 1978
78. Rino Latina II 『Carnival of Rino』/ 2001
79. Blankey Jet City『BANG!』/ 1991
80. Fujiwara Hiroshi『Nothing Much Better to Do』/ 1994
81. Sandii & the Sunsets『IMMIGRANTS』/ 1982
82. Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra『TOKYO SKA PARADISE』/ 1989
83. Mr. Children『Atomic Heart』/ 1994
84. The Street Sliders『SLIDER JOINT』/ 1983
85. Sunny Day Service『東京』(Tokyo) / 1996
86. Supercar『HIGHVISION』/ 2002
87. Thee Michelle Gun Elephant『High Time』/ 1996
88. Newest Model『PRETTY RADIATION』/ 1988
89. Shiina Ringo『勝訴ストリップ』(Shouso Strip) / 2000 (#116)
90. Rip Slyme『FIVE』/ 2001
91. Hi-Standard『ANGRY FIST』/ 1997
92. Number Girl『シブヤROCKTRANSFORMED状態』(Shibuya Rock Transformed Joutai) / 1999
93. Okuda Tamio『股旅』(Matatabi) / 1998 (#143)
94. Spitz『スピッツ』(Spitz) / 1991 (#105)
95. V.A. 『GO-GO KING RECORDERS ORIGINAL RECORDINGS vol.1』/ 2006
96. Quruli『TEAM ROCK』/ 2001 (#49)
97. Theatre Brook『TALISMAN』/ 1996
98. Maximum the Hormone『ぶっ生き返す』(Bu-Ikikaesu) / 2007
99. Utada Hikaru『First Love』/ 1999
100. Kaji Hideki『TEA』/ 1998

meppi said:
The new album of Tokyo Incidents is finally on iTunes! :D

TokyoJihen-Discovery.jpg

It's called Discovery instead of Great Discovery though.

Been listening to it ever since it came out in Japan last month, so I'm glad was finally able to buy my own copy.
The first few times that I listened to it the album didn't really click with me, but it's grown on me ever since.
My favorite still is Adult, but overall I'm very happy with Discovery. :)
God, I've had this album for months. Bought it and never opened it. It's sitting somewhere in a box in my basement :l My favorite is Adult as well, followed by Sports. Sports was really great, and really surprised me after the pretty tepid Variety. I'm glad Shiina is getting her solo act back to together, TJ are a bit too hit and miss for me. When they're on the mark, they are excellent, but still nowhere near SS/KZK quality. After hearing "Hatsukoi Shoujo" I could tell that she still had it in her to produce absolutely stunning tracks, just wish she wasn't bound by TJ so it would manifest itself.

Cmagus

Just looking on ticketmaster seem Dir en Grey are playing in Toronto in November I'm kind of considering this would be cool to see them and how often would a chance come up.

Kammie

Cmagus said:
Just looking on ticketmaster seem Dir en Grey are playing in Toronto in November I'm kind of considering this would be cool to see them and how often would a chance come up.
I'm gonna be seeing them here in Argentina in November also (as well as Versailles). Never really been a fan but I figured it wasn't worth passing up. I hope they don't play too much from their new album though... it kind of sucks.

IrishNinja

I used to be like that, and to some extent: I still am. After joining the Science Fiction/Animation club in college and surrounding myself with fellow super nerds, I've come to accept that I should not be ashamed. I'm a big black man blasting Utada Hikaru and I don't give a fuck.

never change, spin-chan

stumbled across this thread looking for hiki stuff, what else is good if you're into her stuff?

Akira

Need help identifying a PV. It might be a Shiina Ringo song.

Basically, it was the artist by herself on a stage or platform. As the song starts, an orchestra band appears and she pretty much just performs the song. At the end, the band disappears and she's all by herself.

PS. I recently got hooked on Shiina Ringo after seeing this performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzi2XNSxuRs. So damn good. I sorta ignored her music before, but this one made me a fan.

thefro

New Tokyo Jihen PV off their forthcoming EP. That hook at the beginning is really sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2BlA1WIGgY

Need help identifying a PV. It might be a Shiina Ringo song.

Basically, it was the artist by herself on a stage or platform. As the song starts, an orchestra band appears and she pretty much just performs the song. At the end, the band disappears and she's all by herself.

PS. I recently got hooked on Shiina Ringo after seeing this performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzi2XNSxuRs. So damn good. I sorta ignored her music before, but this one made me a fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqxoYOTb2c4

Is it this one (Carnation)?

New Tokyo Jihen PV off their forthcoming EP. That hook at the beginning is really sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2BlA1WIGgY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqxoYOTb2c4

Is it this one (Carnation)?

Pretty good single. I finally got around to listening to Daihakken recently, in spite of owning the album for like half a year at least. Pretty good, but not as good as Sports. My favorite TJ album is still Adult. I kind of miss the balls that the band had when Mikio And H Zetto M were part of Jihen, they were definitely way rawer, even if Kyoiku was my least favorite album. Their current sound is so polished and poppy, even kind of boring at times. Of course everything pales in comparison to KZK. I'm pretty sure we'll never ever get as good a Ringo album as that ever again.

I like the new single! I do agree that their recent sound is a lot more poppy, but it's still a somewhat refreshing sound. KZK is godly though.

Also, pretty excited about the return of ayaka:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CBD4CF7Xcg
Hajimari no Toki

Have you ever listened to Yuu Nakashima's (of Go!Go!7188) Ten no Mikaku? While obviously no KZK, I feel like it's the closest thing to KZK that I've heard on the Japanese side of things. KZK is an absolutely impossible album to follow though. I remember when the Flaming Lips dropped The Soft Bulletin, it was so out there, that Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots felt like a retread in comparison. It's similar with KZK, SR outright screwed herself by releasing that album so soon. She called it a purging of the ego, but it was like artistic suicide haha

Deeku

Have you ever listened to Yuu Nakashima's (of Go!Go!7188) Ten no Mikaku? While obviously no KZK, I feel like it's the closest thing to KZK that I've heard on the Japanese side of things. KZK is an absolutely impossible album to follow though. I remember when the Flaming Lips dropped The Soft Bulletin, it was so out there, that Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots felt like a retread in comparison. It's similar with KZK, SR outright screwed herself by releasing that album so soon. She called it a purging of the ego, but it was like artistic suicide haha
No but I'll check it out. I've realised that I really should expand my library since I've only been following a handful of artists for the past couple of years.

These were the top 10 best selling singles from 2011

01 – “Flying Get” – AKB48 : (1,587,229)
02 – “Everyday, Kachuusha” – AKB48 : (1,586,840)
03 – “Kaze wa Fuiteiru” – AKB48 : (1,418,888)
04 – “Ue Kara Mariko” – AKB48 : (1,198,864)
05 – “Sakura no Ki ni Narou” – AKB48 : (1,079,460)
06 – “Lotus” – Arashi : (625,935)
07 – “Meikyu Love Song” – Arashi : (614,131)
08 – “Maru-Maru-Mori -Mori” – Kaoru to Tomoki, Tama ni Mook. : (498,920)
09 – “Pareo wa Emerald” – SKE48 : (466,037)
10 – “Everybody Go” – Kis-My-Ft2 : (441,680)

Those are all 5 of the singles that AKB48 released last year. It's the first time that one artist has dominated the top 5 spots.

Zoe

I'm torn between being disappointment in AKB48's success and happiness that they managed to shut Arashi out of the top 5.

LayLa

Two Japanese bands i've been listening to a lot recently

ふくろうず (FUKUROUZU)
4 piece indie guitar band with female singer from Tokyo
マシュマロ (Marshmallow) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yunzN3aZyo4
ごめんね (I'm Sorry) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VtpxorBkUY

ねごと (NEGOTO)
4 piece all girl band, doing opening theme for upcoming “Mobile Suit Gundam AGE”
彗星シロップ (Comet Syrup) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBmHxDWG4eE
ループ (Loop) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNe9EPtDy_0

So uh, Tokyo Jihen splitting up...D:

Yep. I just saw the news yesterday on fucking TVtropes of all places. I was looking up the "loudness wars" and SR was mentioned as having dynamically compressed albums and there was a footnote about TJ calling it quits. God damn man... Felt like yesterday when Kyoiku came in the mail and I was 20. Shit makes you feel old :/. While TJ isn't my favorite incarnation of SR ( I felt Adult and Sports were stellar, the other three uneven), I can't deny the chemistry the band had. I'm hoping Kameda Seiji continues to play with SR, her music really would NOT be the same without his bass playing as he's been present on every single album she's put out.

vulva

Don't know if this is the right thread for this, but any suggestions for more japanese music if I'm really in to Boris, Melt Banana, Merpeoples, Akai Ko-en, World's End Girlfriend, Hyacca, Kiiiiiii, Merzbow, Masonna, Chiina and so on and so forth?

Does anyone know where I can legally download this gal's album?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqfX7BTGwx0

Incredible song.

I think that you're pretty much out of luck unless you figure out how to go through the Japanese iTunes store. If you're outside of Japan and want Japanese music you really have to just bite the bullet and import the CD. That's unless you're lucky and your local music store imports some of the music that you want.

Don't know if this is the right thread for this, but any suggestions for more japanese music if I'm really in to Boris, Melt Banana, Merpeoples, Akai Ko-en, World's End Girlfriend, Hyacca, Kiiiiiii, Merzbow, Masonna, Chiina and so on and so forth?

Acid mother temple, Boredoms, things like that maybe.

vulva

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I'm very familiar with those 3 plus most boredoms side projects.: (

Top Bottom