• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Ketch

[*]Because Kid Cobra is a character with high arm girth for his Size, he still builds Rush per punch at a higher rate than Master Mummy despite having hitboxes comparable to his, while remaining more difficult to hit.

Great stuff Hawkian. One thing it makes me think of is how bad master mummy is. It's subjective sure, but unless healing while blocking and a stronger throw are worth giving up all that mobility then there's just no reason to pick him over cobra.

doowrah

Great stuff Hawkian. One thing it makes me think of is how bad master mummy is. It's subjective sure, but unless healing while blocking and a stronger throw are worth giving up all that mobility then there's just no reason to pick him over cobra.

Depending on where the meta ends up, Master Mummy's healing could be a big deal. It's the only ability that can really force an approach.

Ketch

Depending on where the meta ends up, Master Mummy's healing could be a big deal. It's the only ability that can really force an approach.

Sure... but punching is the only way to build meter.

If blocking punches gave meter I'd agree with you more.

how do you actually play this? i've tried with motion controls and the game doesn't respond properly. Instead of bringing the joycon together, i have to bring them away from the screen. Movement is not registering, there are times when i can move the character with the analog stick, others no movement at all. What am i doing wrong?

SummitAve

Banned
how do you actually play this? i've tried with motion controls and the game doesn't respond properly. Instead of bringing the joycon together, i have to bring them away from the screen. Movement is not registering, there are times when i can move the character with the analog stick, others no movement at all. What am i doing wrong?

Are you holding them correctly with the analog sticks facing inwards? My gf has switched them up a few times.

doowrah

Has anyone looked into that Twintelle strategy a Japanese player found (can't remember his name or where I saw the video)?

Basically, using grounded dashes to trigger the starstruck effect, and wait for a punch. When it gets slowed, quickly block and dash to counter and get a free opening while their arms lay on the ground.

Technically possible with any character if you're fast enough, but seemed far easier to pull off consistently with her.

jts

...hate me...
It would of said Win, and shown Ninjaras's winning animation, not this zoomed out camera view of all of us. You only get 1 coin when you draw, it dosn't show other players coins gain in Party mode.
I mean the others 2 "won" but it was a draw between them.

Never had a draw in 1v1v1 but in all other games gives 2 coins for drawing. 1 coin is what you get in any case just for losing.

Moondrop

Banned
Amazing stuff Hawkian. So now my question is... why does Kid Cobra have maximum arm girth? Wouldn't balance dictate he have small arm girth a la Ribbon Girl, another mobility-based character?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I know there are a lot of thoughts on the control setup for this game, but let me give a positive impression of the Single Joycon:

My daughters (2 and 5) can easily grasp the controls and have fun playing on just the single JoyCon. They have fun just pushing the two buttons for punching and moving around with the stick, it's basically a two button game for them and it's fun. I showed my 5 year old how to use her Special attack by hitting the top shoulder buttons, she thought that was AMAZING. Finally today she asked me "How do you jump?" And I introduced her to using the Top button to jump. She also figured out grabbing on her own, by doing it accidentally a few times.

I think its easy to overlook how simple this game is to give a single joycon to a newcomer and have them grasp the game quickly. Like the Shoyruken.com review stated: This is good introduction to the basics of any fighting game. Footsies, baiting, and punishing whiffs and introducing the Paper/Rock/Sisscors of attacking, grabbing, and priority of jab/strong/fierce attacks.

HyperHip

Has anyone looked into that Twintelle strategy a Japanese player found (can't remember his name or where I saw the video)?

Basically, using grounded dashes to trigger the starstruck effect, and wait for a punch. When it gets slowed, quickly block and dash to counter and get a free opening while their arms lay on the ground.

Technically possible with any character if you're fast enough, but seemed far easier to pull off consistently with her.

That's like one of the go-to strats for most Twintelles.

random25

I think the theory regarding the high chances of getting more arms for certain characters in arms getter isn't really 100% true. The theory was whoever you use in arms getter gets like the best chance of filling up his/her arms inventory. But after playing one character I rarely use (Master Mummy) in arms getter, I saw that it was not applicable at all. What happened was using Master Mummy at long timer arms getter, I got 24 in total, and I only got one arm for him (the first box). Then I noticed that most of new arms went to Min Min (who I played 80% of the time), in which she got 8 for upgrades. I thought that was unusual so I tried it again using Master Mummy. And again almost the same result happened, with Master Mummy getting 3 arms in 26 boxes, and Minmin got 8 again.

I can't try it again the third time because of lack of funds lol, but with these results I can say that arms getter favors the one you use the most, irregardless of who you uses in the mini game. Maybe someone can try that one out too.

Also, it seems it's easier to get the high score and more boxes if you play the arms getter consecutively. The only time I got more than 25 is when I play the arms getter twice in a row.

Ketch

I think the theory regarding the high chances of getting more arms for certain characters in arms getter isn't really 100% true. The theory was whoever you use in arms getter gets like the best chance of filling up his/her arms inventory. But after playing one character I rarely use (Master Mummy) in arms getter, I saw that it was not applicable at all. What happened was using Master Mummy at long timer arms getter, I got 24 in total, and I only got one arm for him (the first box). Then I noticed that most of new arms went to Min Min (who I played 80% of the time), in which she got 8 for upgrades. I thought that was unusual so I tried it again using Master Mummy. And again almost the same result happened, with Master Mummy getting 3 arms in 26 boxes, and Minmin got 8 again.

I can't try it again the third time because of lack of funds lol, but with these results I can say that arms getter favors the one you use the most, irregardless of who you uses in the mini game. Maybe someone can try that one out too.

Also, it seems it's easier to get the high score and more boxes if you play the arms getter consecutively. The only time I got more than 25 is when I play the arms getter twice in a row.

I think it just garauntees the first box is for the character you picked.

Could be useful once most of your inventory is filled. Just go short timer and pick the characters that are only missing a few arms and your garauntees to get at least one of the ones your missing or a plus variant.

Oh, do wanna get in on this.

Dankey Kang avatar?

I've just seen Arms for the first time on my TV (had the game since launch) and it looks beautiful. I'm impressed that the Switch can change between these levels of graphical fidelity so quickly and seamlessly.

Gore will be back soon to exact his revenge on me! Quote for friend code!

Luigi87

omg, I was so close to winning a 1v2. I probably would have too if I didn't start with -25% HP.

Cue a 1v1v1 immediately afterward with the same two ganging up on me again <_<

Edit: I haven't been following the thread too closely, but wow saving up for the longer timer is damn rewarding.

Ogodei

Dammit my flaky internet brought my rank 1 below due to consecutive comm errors. It should not be that punishing especially if I led before the disconnect.

This is something Nintendo's been outright savage about as far back as Mario Kart Wii. You have internet connection problems? Fuck you, you're obviously trying to ragequit.

Sure, lagswitches are a thing, but you're talking about an insane edgecase. The server should be able to tell where the break in communication was anyway (similar to if you hit the power button on the console or if you hit a power outage).

Apenheul

After a week of playing ARMS and having finished Tournament mode with all characters on either difficulty setting 3 or 4 I came to the conclusion that ARMS is an okay single player game, good competitive game, and excellent co-op game! What I mean by that is split screen team battles and volleyball, either against CPU on the highest difficulty level or against players online, but the split screen is key IMO. I can see myself playing this with friends at least until they've rolled out all the extra characters and stages.

Played with a friend last night, he totally owns me as Twintelle, I beat him a few times, and some other times I should've won but he somehow pulled it off...*sobs*

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I disagree actually! Completely different play style, but one of the top 5 players I believe is actually a mummy.

You're maybe missing the biggest advantage of choosing him: "Will not flinch from non-charged (and some charged) attacks while jumping, dashing, or punching; also gain 50% damage reduction when a punch is resisted." He can be the tankiest by far as well as one of the most intimidating played well. and:
Right. Match against another defensive minded player and he has a distinct one up with the heal.

Maybe it does?

I don't block very often because ITS ON THE STUPID THUMBSTICK
It does, just not as much as punching.
Amazing stuff Hawkian. So now my question is... why does Kid Cobra have maximum arm girth? Wouldn't balance dictate he have small arm girth a la Ribbon Girl, another mobility-based character?
This is a reasonable question for sure. Ribbon has a considerably smaller hitbox and more mobility, and it could be argued that for light arms like poppers, which are a starter for her, arm girth may be a liability (lower rush meter gain, higher chance of being punched through). But overall Cobra could be argued to simply have more advantages and fewer weaknesses.

On the one hand, it really sets Cobra apart as a small character with big arms. That's a good niche. It's also worth mentioning that decreasing his arm girth by just one might actually make him even better- that would probably be the ultimate sweet spot for speed+meter gain.

But, as it stands, combined with his ability giving him outstanding mobility, he is really only lacking in jump, which suits him fine as his ability only works on the ground.

Again, he isn't unbeatable by any means. But he is certainly a very strong character offering a niche no one else does.

Been on my honeymoon the past two weeks so I'm just going to pick this up tomorrow when I get back (and recover from traveling).

Am I gonna have a rough time getting into it? Is the community really good already?

Top Bottom