• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Here's the one big new announcement from the FFG thing: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/18/star-wars-legion/

Looks cool. I might try out the base set since I actually haven't played any of the Star Wars minis stuff since the first few waves of X-Wing, but I can also see the complaints about FFG basically just becoming a Star Wars minis company. :p Hard to turn down all that dough.

The GW breakdown does continue to be a huge bummer because they had some amazing titles under it, even for non-minis gamers. Super-original designs like Blood Bowl Team Manager and Space Hulk Death Angel for example. But afaik nobody knows who's 'at fault' here which leads me to believe it was sort of a mutual parting of ways based on business decisions/demands. Their Runewars universe is beyond yawn-inducing to me at least. FFG's fatal flaw continues to be lack of quality original IPs. Android universe actually has some really cool characters but they're like 1/5 in making good games for it (Netrunner), with some truly mediocre titles in that mix.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/star-wars-legion-showcase/

If anything, this is part of the reason FFG broke away from GW, they are going HAM on the wargaming miniature market. X-Wing was a huge hit for them, and with the expensive Star Wars license... wow. Fans have been asking for a true Star Wars war game for years.

Course this is not exactly board gamer news, but I think this has more merit involving in FFG's departure from GW, they likely rather not focus on IP's from one of the largest wargame companies, to focus on their heavy investment of miniature based games.

The quality of minis are kinda iffy tho.....

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/star-wars-legion-showcase/

If anything, this is part of the reason FFG broke away from GW, they are going HAM on the wargaming miniature market. X-Wing was a huge hit for them, and with the expensive Star Wars license... wow. Fans have been asking for a true Star Wars war game for years.

Course this is not exactly board gamer news, but I think this has more merit involving in FFG's departure from GW, they likely rather not focus on IP's from one of the largest wargame companies, to focus on their heavy investment of miniature based games.

The quality of minis are kinda iffy tho.....
Yeah haha those are the kind of minis where I question whether they even look better painted. Certainly looks better from afar, but highlights the derpiness up close. Reminds me of the Arkham minis derpiness actually!

BM for these kinds of games, do you know if you need two cores to play a real game?

Also yooooo Stooge's new game looks amazing. Build a roller coaster you can run marbles down? I don't think I need to know anymore: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfaxkjtp3et6dtj/Coaster Park Rulebook.pdf?dl=0

Yeah haha those are the kind of minis where I question whether they even look better painted. Certainly looks better from afar, but highlights the derpiness up close. Reminds me of the Arkham minis derpiness actually!

BM for these kinds of games, do you know if you need two cores to play a real game?

Also yooooo Stooge's new game looks amazing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfaxkjtp3et6dtj/Coaster Park Rulebook.pdf?dl=0

This kind of game looks to be straight up warhammer style miniature game, the box set is just a starter set with a faction of both. Typically you don't even need the starter set for a wargame, as you buy the miniatures individually as you want.

Problem is FFG, always includes core components that make you buy the starter box set. Most wargames you just need a copy of the rulebook and get the faction you want... FFG has always forced us to buy their boxes not because of just accessories needed to play, but exclusive content in said boxes

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Also yooooo Stooge's new game looks amazing. Build a roller coaster you can run marbles down? I don't think I need to know anymore: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfaxkjtp3et6dtj/Coaster Park Rulebook.pdf?dl=0

When does the roller coast game come out? Sounds awesome!

Draxal

I think the miniatures are fine, the scale is smaller.

But as I said in the miniatures thread, I don't think this is the right era for a star wars mass mini game.

Everybody will be wanting to play as the Empire in this one.

I liked the old star wars mini game from the mid 2000's had a bunch of stuff too. The mini's were super cheap but what sucks is they were blind box buys.

World's Fair 1893 is on sale. It's a really good worker placement game. Easy to learn, too.

Amazing game, which can be taught to just anyone. Fast, fun, but with meaningful decisions. It's more an area control game than a worker placement game though (meaning that it mostly shines at max player count).

I've played my first game of Ginkgopolis this week, what a fantastic game. It's sadly quite hard to find, but would definitely deserve a reprint. Next on my list of games to play is Alban Viard's Tramways :)

And, even if it probably won't be interesting for most, Hollandspiele has a sale going on right now. I ordered An Infamous Traffic, I can't wait to play that!

Never had to do that in dozens of games. Are you using really bad characters or something? You seem to be having a really tough time with the game.
I had a good set of characters. Randomized initial setup of marines was bad and I made a poor decision. I wasn't going to definitely lose the game but I already had a heavy hitter slain.

Blizzard

Banned
I mean maybe it will be! It just stuck out as a very confident statement.

In other news, we played case #3 for the new Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. I found out after we were done that case #3 (along with case #6) appears to be one of the two major cases that had erratas. Fortunately the new printing must have addressed those issues enough, because we essentially got every answer of the main questions correct (though we thought there was an extra motive, and we answered little or none of the extra questions).

That said, case #3 did seem weaker than #1 and #2 in terms of clear deduction, and I'm hoping the remaining cases besides #6 are still solid.

I think it's already DLC in Tabeltop Simulator, but I might be wrong.

I got to play Lost Expedition today finally with my duaghter. Really fun, and kind of messed up too (in a logical way). We had some really good luck and won our first game!

Going to play some more solo, but not till I knock out this cycle in LotR LCG.

It is DLC in Tabletop Simulator, but it's just a virtual board and the pieces, no automation or AI.. I already own it, so I guess I'll actually be triple dipping.

I think it's already DLC in Tabeltop Simulator, but I might be wrong.

Scythe digital edition is a proper game.

captureeosn0.png

Beta is supposed to be end of August

Had a satisfying win in Space Hulk Death Angel. \o/ Think it was my first victory in 3 or 4 games. Only lost 3 out of 8 marines along the way.

EYEL1NER

So much for getting a copy of Strike. I received a message from the seller saying that someone from their warehouse alerted them that the box was heavily damaged, so they cancelled my purchase. I did express in my post before that I hoped there wouldn't be any damage between the UK and here, since the integrity of the box and the 'arena' inside were vital, so I guess I'm glad they let me know rather than assume the box didn't matter and ship it.
They implied that they are getting more copies in a few weeks (it's been OOP in NA for a while but I guess Ravensburger could be printing more in Europe) and that if I was interested, to let them know and they could hold a copy for me and let me have it at a discount. So here's hoping they come through on that. After watching that video of it being played, my desire to own it has increased quite a bit.

Went and got SONAR yesterday too. I opened it up and read the rules last night and while I did know they would alter the rules a bit to make it playable at 2v2, I didn't realize that it would be made a lot lighter than it was before in Captain SONAR. Wish a rulebook had been released prior. One player on a team plays the Captain, the other the Radio Operator. The Radio Operator is still the same: listen for directions and try to figure out where the enemy is. The Captain now has a choice per turn of doing one of the following five actions:
-Move UP, DOWN, LEFT, or RIGHT. Doing so fills up one bar on the generic "ENERGY" gauge (four energy max).
-Activate SONAR. Uses two bars of energy, enemy Captain then announces either the letter column or number row they are on.
-Launch Torpedo. Uses four bars of energy, targets a coordinate of choice in same sector, only hits on Direct Hit.
-Silence Submarine. Uses three bars of energy, lets you move one space without announcing direction.
-Surface. Let's you reset your path by erasing it all. Used when you have no more move directions available.

Captain SONAR doesn't seem super-complex but none of the weapons systems going down or any of that is included in this game. I still look forward to playing this eventually, but it makes me want to get and play Captain SONAR even more now.

Aaron

Captain Sonar is a seriously mixed experience. There's just too many ways things could go wrong in real-time, while turn-based is to dull and plodding to be worth playing.

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone played Endeavor? It's a 2009 release but there's an updated / reprinted version planned for Kickstarter later this year.

I'm quite uncomfortable with slavery being a powerful tactic in the game, since I'm not sure if it's optimal or if smart players will always just use slavery the best and refuse to repeal. Supposedly there's a way to repeal slavery but I've heard mixed comments about how major the longterm penalty is.

The box art is lovely though.

XShagrath

Picked up a few more things because why not. Lazer Ryders, Dread Draw, and Century Golem Edition.

Honestly, my surprise game of the show is a TCG. Not technically a board game, I know, but I'm going to talk about it briefly anyway. It's called Lightseekers, and kind of (pretty much) apes Skylanders art style. There is also a F2P game that is an arpg set in the same world. But don't let things fool you like I almost did. It's a surprisingly easy to grasp but mechanically deep game. There are no resources in the traditional sense. There are some combo cards that require you to shuffle cards with the appropriate symbols from your hand back into your deck, but that's the extent of resources. The meat of the game is in the card rotating mechanic. At the beginning of your turn, cards in your playing field rotate clockwise. If there is a symbol with a number in the top right once it rotates, you do the cards effects, generally based on the number. If there isn't anything once it rotates, it's discarded. This is compulsory, and don't confuse it with tapping. It goes around on a full circle, if there are symbols in every corner. So you end up building combo machines like, "if I wait to play this card a turn, this card I have in play will be rotated twice, which means it will do double damage when it rotates once." That's a simple example, but gets your head in the right place. I've mostly sworn off of collectible games, but this game really impressed me.

Neverfade

Has anyone played Endeavor? It's a 2009 release but there's an updated / reprinted version planned for Kickstarter later this year.

I'm quite uncomfortable with slavery being a powerful tactic in the game, since I'm not sure if it's optimal or if smart players will always just use slavery the best and refuse to repeal. Supposedly there's a way to repeal slavery but I've heard mixed comments about how major the longterm penalty is.

The box art is lovely though.

I owned it once upon a time closer to its release. It's not a bad game. I'm not gonna lie, I don't 100% remember a lot of the turn to turn gameplay but I wanted to comment to say I remember slavery being pretty abstracted out.

Top Bottom