• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Age: Inquisition details from PAX Australia [Full Panel Video]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wasn't he also the guy who leaked info on the PA boards about how unhappy he was with the ME3 ending because Walters didn't even discuss it with the other writers and did it on his own, and almost got fired for it?

Yes. He was the one who explained that Walters + Hudson completed the ending without other writer input, though he didn't seem all that fussed with the ending himself. He disliked
EDI's plot arc becoming another pinocchio story
however.

Patryn

sounds dull and uninspired. it's not a good sign when "diverse environments" is something noteworthy.

Given Dragon Age 2, it is noteworthy, and I fully understand why they'd want to really push that fact. They know that they have a large amount of disillusioned fans after DA2.

I did enjoy how much more responsive the combat felt in DA2.

After almost two years of playing mobas I just feel like all RPGs should take notes on how to make action game play work. Just because you've got Press R for Awesome doesn't mean it allows for less complexity.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh, I realize that's what he's specifically speaking about, but I think you can interpret it to also mean that in general they think their player base desires to have immediate consequences to their actions.

I could see that, but then they had the part about "things you did/didn't do caused the village to implode", which I suspect probably isn't like you just pulling a lever, but something you did earlier.

Not everything about DA2. The environments were extremely repetitive, inability to customize squadmates sucked, and the same wave after enemy wave got old fast. But I like the characters, dialogue system, story, and combat better than DAO. With an extra year of development time, I have high hopes for DA:I.

Relative to DA2 this one seems to actually have 2-2.5 extra years of development time, unless by extra year you mean the 1 year delay.

Patryn

I could see that, but then they had the part about "things you did/didn't do caused the village to implode", which I suspect probably isn't like you just pulling a lever, but something you did earlier.

Oh, you're right. Now I don't know what to think.

pixlexic

Banned
Da 2 was all about the combat.

if the add the depth or origins back to 3 that will be a plus but I will buy day one as long as they don't destroy the addicting battle system.

Ushae

Banned
Everything I know about DA:I seems to point that the game is heading to the direction I wanted. It's just a matter of delivery now and I haven't seen any, besides that E3 trailer and the single screenshot.

Just don't let dialogue choices represented by numbers, here.

Indeed thus game is showing a lot of promise, its seems to be getting the time it needs to be perfected, and bioware seem to have finally realised that black and white choices aren't always the best to have in these games. I still think Witcher has set the standard for RPGs.

Relative to DA2 this one seems to actually have 2-2.5 extra years of development time, unless by extra year you mean the 1 year delay.

Yea I meant the 2013-14 delay. But yes, they started on this, when, right after DA2 right? 03/2011 to Q4 2014 sounds like a copious amount of time to deliver something worthwhile. Like I said, I have high hopes :)

Subitai

As long as they let me buff the crap out of my staff damage, I'm down with whatever gameplay wise.

Story wise, I'm not too optimistic. In trying to avoid tropes in DA2, they made characters that were harder to like and created a plot that felt unsatisfying at the end.

Yes. He was the one who explained that Walters + Hudson completed the ending without other writer input, though he didn't seem all that fussed with the ending himself. He disliked
EDI's plot arc becoming another pinocchio story
however.

I thought all that was proved false?

Patryn

Yea I meant the 2013-14 delay. But yes, they started on this, when, right after DA2 right? 03/2011 to Q4 2014 sounds like a copious amount of time to deliver something worthwhile. Like I said, I have high hopes :)

I don't believe right after. They did Legacy and Mark of the Assassin, and we know that they had the aborted expansion pack "The Exalted March" in preproduction to the point that they had produced t-shirts with the logo, so I think this probably didn't really get started until a while after DA2 shipped.

I thought all that was proved false?

I don't believe it was ever proven false. I know that one of the Bioware board moderators did some damage control, and Weekes avoided really talking about it, but all indications is that it was actually him who posted all that stuff.

iavi

Good, good. The choice system really went to crap.

They should do it like the witcher games. Always give you every option but with the rather uncertain consequences.

TW1 style, not 2. Paths changed in one depending on who you talked to first and everything, TW2 was nowhere near as organic feeling--still leagues better than Bioware's, but not as good as TW1.

Staf

My biggest problem with DA2 was the paraphrasing of the dialogue options. I've always roleplayed in RPGs by choosing the dialogue option that is the least character breaking option of the choices since you can never get the "perfect" response in a non-tabletop roleplaying environment. By paraphrasing the dialogue options i cannot make an informed decision regarding what option to choose and therefore i ended up reloading the game after a conversation a lot. Either due to the choice i picked was not something the character i was roleplaying would say or paranoia that one of the other choices would actually have been a more optimal response.

Only played up until the Deep roads excavation before i gave up and watched the rest of the game on youtube like a movie. I still read the novels and play DA:O, since i am a sucker for the lore of Dragon age, but i am probably going to watch DA:I on youtube from the get-go.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't believe right after. They did Legacy and Mark of the Assassin, and we know that they had the aborted expansion pack "The Exalted March" in preproduction to the point that they had produced t-shirts with the logo, so I think this probably didn't really get started until a while after DA2 shipped.

I don't believe it was ever proven false. I know that one of the Bioware board moderators did some damage control, and Weekes avoided really talking about it, but all indications is that it was actually him who posted all that stuff.
Usually with DLC you don't have the entire team working on that, but part of the team works on that when you have less work for them to do during the early stages of the next project.

We do know they had to rebuild a fair amount though when they switched engines during the game's development. However, actual content creation usually isn't the problem games have with time, it's the time to design solid mechanics and then polish the content at the end.

The gigantic pre-production cycle should help with the first, and the delay would mainly impact the latter.

Carcetti

Yeah, it will probaly be a lot more direct, but this quote gave me a bit hope:

They basically did this with the
Quarian vs. Geth decision
in Mass effect 3 where labeling one decision as good and the other as bad worked kind of against it

Which one was good? I mean
Tali dying was sad if you picked the Geth but the rest of the quarians were just too dumb to live so I wasn't exactly crying when their ashes came down the sky.
[

What did they mean by "ME3 autodialog"?

I'm an insane person who loved ME3 just as much as the rest of the saga and I didn't pick up on much difference in the dialog... other than the ambivalent choices being missing.

I really liked how DA2 evolved the ME style dialog wheel. I hope that's not lost in the rubble of DA2's other failings.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What did they mean by "ME3 autodialog"?

I'm an insane person who loved ME3 just as much as the rest of the saga and I didn't pick up on much difference in the dialog... other than the ambivalent choices being missing.

I really liked how DA2 evolved the ME style dialog wheel. I hope that's not lost in the rubble of DA2's other failings.

In Mass Effect 3 it wasn't unusual for Shepard to speak more lines before giving the player a dialog choice again compared to the previous games.

It wasn't hugely different, but there was still a fair amount more talking Shepard would do on his own.

I'm waiting for our fearless leader to post a pile of shit....

I dunno I could be excited for this if it didn't involve Origin (the 'service') which we all know it will.

Don't know the last time you used Origin but I haven't ran into any problems with it in months.

cmgfender

Banned
Cautiously pumped.

Still really really suspicious ever since i believe casey hudson said the ending wont be like just picking option A B or C

And then ME3's ending was picking A B or C

Finalow

can't wait to don't buy this game. awful series of wrpgs. (or whatever DA2 may be)
A bigger, broader story like Origins...
Origins with a story? Maybe I fell asleep during some cutscenes and missed it.

cmgfender

Banned
Tali dying was sad if you picked the Geth but the rest of the quarians were just too dumb to live so I wasn't exactly crying when their ashes came down the sky.
[

agreed. every time i interacted with them id be like oh my god no wonder you are all almost dead youre the worrrrst

Trigger

Judging by his twitter avatar, he's presumably writing the Qunari guy from the trailer, which would likely fit that mold given how the Qunari are: https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/344513261569578257/051de8d9411ad7fa49c32d9cf5177927.jpeg

Awesome. The Qunari are ripe with moral and cultural issues for dissecting. I'd love to see his take on it.

They've said it will be open world. What exactly that means, and whether it'll be like The Witcher 3 or Skyrim is unknown.

For their sake I hope it's not like Skyrim.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They've said it will be open world. What exactly that means, and whether it'll be like The Witcher 3 or Skyrim is unknown.
It's a series of disparate open areas to my knowledge.

Like you go to various areas/countries across sourthern Thefas, but while the areas themselves are open, it's not all contiguous.

I can dig up the map when I'm home in about 5-10 minutes.

Did they say 5-6 months to create a trailer that shows u nothing about the game? What the hell? The only thing I remember getting from the trailer was the veil was ripped open and Age hasn't been kind to my
baby momma
Morrigan

I'd also like to say that I kind of liked how DA2 picked up on your patterns and adapted the dialogue to fit (i.e. if you kept picking the sarcastic responses, Hawke would still be slightly sarcastic in his other answers even if you didn't pick the "funny" option.)

Never noticed this but after I found out
whatever side u choose didn't matter cause u have to fight both bosses
I never wanted to replay the game again

Was Dragon Age really good? Is 6 bucks on Gamestop and I really enjoyed Mass Effect 2.

Uhhhhh yeah!

Kinyou

[
I agree
that the leaders were quite the bastards but there were tons of innocents on those ships, even children. I think neither choice is really good or bad.

Yawn, whatever. All of this is just words, and due to Bioware and EA's recent history...such talk means next to nothing. I'll wait until they show a gameplay video.

Yeah no hype for this game whatsoever, I'm going to need to see in-game demonstration of combat and whatnot.

Remember the DA2 thread? Yeah I can't wait for the DA:I thread.

DA:I - Return to Shit Mountain

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Some of the media from the event is starting to come out.

The game looks decidedly like an 80's metal album.

promotional_demon_daib8kyy.jpg

paxaus_qunari_dragonvrjjz.jpg

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:HD3/News_from_Bioware_Panel_at_PAXAUS

FACE

Banned
- The E3 trailer was made by approximately 30 people and took 5-6 weeks - they deliberately included certain scenes and characters because they wanted to get a few messages across to the fans.

What a pointless waste of resources.

In Mass Effect 3 it wasn't unusual for Shepard to speak more lines before giving the player a dialog choice again compared to the previous games.

It wasn't hugely different, but there was still a fair amount more talking Shepard would do on his own.

Wasn't there an option in ME3 to have the game automatically pick your dialogue choices? I thought that was what they meant by autodialogue?

In any extent, I'm actually excited about DAIII. DA:Origins was one of my favorite RPG's this gen. Didn't enjoy DAII, but it looks like they are giving them the proper development time for DAIII.

TChirath

Neo Member
Patrick said the best choices are the ones that get people genuinely thinking and debating the one they chose. He wants to write them so that each choice looks "right", depending on the player's worldview or philosophy - not just "save the baby or save the warlock", which are absurdly obvious binary good/evil choices.

I have been fooled by this promise from Bioware from Jade Empire to Mass Effect...and they have not delivered. Been disappointed,yet I still love all their games. PLease make this true this time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What a pointless waste of resources.

6 months for that trailer that generated zero hype.

Since people seem kind of confused about this, generally when a developer talks about this, what they mean is they had people polish up the art assets/animations/voice acting to something they would actually want to show for all the content present in the trailer.

They didn't have 30 people sitting around a video editor debating with each other for all that time.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I still have to replay DA2 on PC... Only got halfway through on the 360, stopped. And since I hope to play DA3 on PC, I have to generate a DA:O save, and then finish DA2

Nice! Thanks Shinobi. I may have to get the 360 version if my decisions from the first two games carry over.

Np :)

They did say some decisions from the previous games will carry over, but obviously since you're playing as a different character, it'll be the more general choices you made that do.

Top Bottom