• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii redesign [Pictures, No Backwards Compatibility/GameCube Controllers, Keeps Wi-fi]

Ydahs

Mr_Zombie said:
So, besides slight redesign and cut off features, how is this better than old Wii consoles?
It isn't. It's more of a bundle focusing more on the expanded audience with a trimmed down Wii.

Mael

Ydahs said:
Was Wii Sports originally included for the expanded audience? Or because it was a well received tech demo which showed off the system's capabilities?

It's clear that this package is being targeted more towards the casual crowd. What's there to argue?
Actually that's why they even made the Wii inthe 1rst place! the whole Wii marketing was about bringing everyone in, not just putting a thing for the family and the others can go take a hike.
I'm arguing that they're changing their whole marketing to chase a demographic they either already have or shouldn't be chasing anyway.

Ydahs said:
It isn't. It's more of a bundle focusing more on the expanded audience with a trimmed down Wii.

The catch is that it's not the expanded audience anymore! Why? because they're already their core audience now (see wiisports, wii play, wiifit and wiisport resort)

Cygnus X-1

Mr_Zombie said:
So, besides slight redesign and cut off features, how is this better than old Wii consoles?

It isn't. This is a step back for a core gamer perspective. Will not affect casual market though. On the contrary: this pack is pretty attractive for a family point of view.

Enco

So they made it uglier?

Re design my ass. I didn't think you could cut down on Wii features but I guess I was wrong.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mr_Zombie said:
Probably lower price, to lure in the expanded audience just in time for the Holidays and meet their hardware sales forecasts.

Enco said:
So they made it uglier?

Re design my ass.
Uh... it looks the same. Funny how we have people saying it looks better or worse.

Hanmik

Have the Japanese companies lost their minds..?

New-PSP without Wifi..
New-Wii without BC..

and those arrive few months before a new succesor for the console arrives..

facepalm-baby-70x70.jpg

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Teknoman said:
Someone should add a family pack name to the title.
Seriously. The Family Edition name gives it away as a cheaper SKU, not as a redesign.

Medalion

Banned
Jocchan said:
Probably lower price, to lure in the expanded audience just in time for the Holidays and meet their hardware sales forecasts.

Uh... it looks the same. Funny how we have people saying it looks better or worse.
People hate change. You move that logo the wrong way we're on you like stink on a monkey!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Hanmik said:

New-PSP without Wifi..
New-Wii without BC..

facepalm-baby-70x70.jpg
They're trying to lure in the customers who haven't bought the system yet by offering it at a tempting lower price, customers who probably don't care about the successor launching so soon (since they waited so long before biting in the first place).

Medalion said:
People hate change. You move that logo the wrong way we're on you like stink on a monkey!
Damn them for changing the power LED color!

(which *could* mean loss of WiiConnect24, by the way)

Cygnus X-1

Hanmik said:

New-PSP without Wifi..
New-Wii without BC..

It's just Gamecube BC. Do you think the targeted people will give a shit to its omission? Go asking what a Gamecube was; they'll even not remember it!
Its initial inclusion was just a move to make Gamecube owners shift to the Wii more easily, since the console was very casual oriented from the very beginning. Twilight Princess GC version also helped that decision probably.

Nessus

Cygnus X-1 said:
Why are you people so surprised? Did you all forget when Nintendo removed entirely the digital port of the Gamecube? A move only to makes costs go down.

Hell, they did the same thing with the original NES, removing the A/V jacks for the top loading NES, leaving it with just the RF.

Sony did the same thing with the PS3, removing PS2 compatibility, extra USB ports, etc.

It's not as if this is anything new, and it makes a lot of sense if this is coupled with a price drop to $99.

Mael

Nessus said:
Hell, they did the same thing with the original NES, removing the A/V jacks for the top loading NES, leaving it with just the RF.

Sony did the same thing with the PS3, removing PS2 compatibility, extra USB ports, etc.

It's not as if this is anything new, and it makes a lot of sense if this is coupled with a price drop to $99.

Except that they didn't go all the way and call the new sku as the 'retard' edition either...

Jocchan said:
Smash Bros. Brawl.

Metal Slug...as well as all n64 VC games...

Michan

Just to confirm the box contents:

Wii console
Wii Remote + wrist strap
Wii Remote jacket
Nunchuk
Sensor bar
Power cable
Composite cable

The power brick's size has not been reduced.

Jocchan said:

honestly, I think people just forgot what the Wii looked like. I did.

compared to other systems, especially Nintendo's past (and future, as the Wii U is a step up) hardware, the Wii is just an angular white box. Clinical and charmless. Tightly packed for efficiency.

The only oddity from the Gamecube's omission is the number of software that have Gamecube "stuff" in them. Sonic Colors has an entire interface for the Gamecube controller.

Would be neat if Nintendo released a new Classic Controller modeled after the gamecube controller.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
What's with people saying the LED changed color? The LED has always been green when the system is on.

I think what they might be doing is changing up the look of the Wii-U, because of all the confusion of it at e3, and making this model resemble the Wii-U we saw at e3.

They know it confused a lot of people, and that many thought the console shown in the trailers was just a Wii. If they got that Wii-U out of peoples minds by giving out this similar looking Wii, they could show off a new Wii-U that differentiates itself enough so people understand it's a new console.

Diffense

Mael said:
the Wii was all inclusive, this goes against everything the Wii was for which was bringing new people as well as retaining the people already playing.
This is basicallt 'FU gamers'.

Pretty much.
The message is well taken from where I stand.

I've owned mutilple generations of Nintendo consoles but they've really fallen in my eyes.
Wii is absolutely a joke right now and the few games I actually want to play I have to import.
Then on 3DS, I'm playing more DSiWare and VC games than anything else and even that was only possible once the shop channel came online months after launch.
Then they kindly let me know I wasted $80 but I at least I get some old ROM dumps in return!

My attitude towards this company has changed immensely in just a few months.
Now they have work to do to regain my confidence in their products.
*This* gimped Wii is just something else for me to ignore.

Michan

davonaytor said:
I think what they might be doing is changing up the look of the Wii-U, because of all the confusion of it at e3, and making this model resemble the Wii-U we saw at e3.

They know it confused a lot of people, and that many thought the console shown in the trailers was just a Wii. If they got that Wii-U out of peoples minds by giving out this similar looking Wii, they could show off a new Wii-U that differentiates itself enough so people understand it's a new console.
Hopefully this is something they will have learned from the 3DS launch.

Cygnus X-1

Nessus said:

I do think that the inclusion of a second game is the "Nintendo way" to make it a better deal. I do not think a 99$ price point is nowhere near. They have to offset 3DS losses in every way at this point.

I almost can see Iwata with its staff thinking at every way to make costs go down. I wonder if DSi and DSi LL will also follow the same fate.

Mael

Cygnus X-1 said:
I do think that the inclusion of a second game is the "Nintendo way" to make it a better deal. I do not think a 99$ price point is nowhere near. They have to offset 3DS losses in every way at this point.
?
Wth was that whole WiiSports + WSR packin for then?

Ydahs

Mael said:
Actually that's why they even made the Wii inthe 1rst place! the whole Wii marketing was about bringing everyone in, not just putting a thing for the family and the others can go take a hike.
I'm arguing that they're changing their whole marketing to chase a demographic they either already have or shouldn't be chasing anyway.
I never said anything that disagrees with your viewpoint. I'm just saying that it's evident that they are targeting it more towards families, even though it's an audience they have been targeting all along.

Why? Beats me, since it was their focus from the start, but it's likely a marketing decision to lure in more non gamers during the holiday period where there will be a price cut. Smart move if there is a price cut (since it can be accompanied with a new campaign), but confusing if it's just a new bundle for the same price (which makes no sense with the removed features).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Linkzg said:
honestly, I think people just forgot what the Wii looked like. I did.

compared to other systems, especially Nintendo's past (and future, as the Wii U is a step up) hardware, the Wii is just an angular white box. Clinical and charmless. Tightly packed for efficiency.
You're probably right. To be honest, I used to like its design a lot initially. Now I find it ugly and antiquated because of the sharp knees angles everywhere.

lobdale said:
What's with people saying the LED changed color? The LED has always been green when the system is on.
Shhhh, not so loud!

Teknoman

Mael said:
Except that they didn't go all the way and call the new sku as the 'retard' edition either...

Metal Slug...as well as all n64 VC games...

I dunno, alot of those games felt better with the CCpro.

Cygnus X-1

Mael said:
?
Wth was that whole WiiSports + WSR packin for then?

Wii Party came out later than WSR.

I know. This is not a better deal in any way. Casual market will not notice though.

Mael

Ydahs said:
I never said anything that disagrees with your viewpoint. I'm just saying that it's evident that they are targeting it more towards families, even though it's an audience they have been targeting all along.
Why? Beats me, since it was their focus from the start, but it's likely a marketing decision to lure in more non gamers during the holiday period where there will be a price cut.
Ah ok, I'm just saying that it's a dumb move that will scare more consumer than they will gain from this...
So yeah nothing you said went against this.
It's baffling that Nintendo is acting like that, next I'm expecting them to make Imagine babies games....

Scotch

Michan said:
Just to confirm the box contents:

Wii console
Wii Remote + wrist strap
Wii Remote jacket
Nunchuk
Sensor bar
Power cable
Composite cable

The power brick's size has not been reduced.
Too bad. So this thing has no redeeming quality whatsoever.

Jocchan said:
It's a different SKU, they need to differentiate the price enough from the (now) premium one or it will be ignored. I'd say $99 is very likely, and right before the holidays it could be an extremely smart way to pump up their hardware sales and please the investors.

The reset button is not thinner. The case does look exactly the same, except the Wii logo positioning and orientation.
Not different, but replacement. This will be the Wii.
Old Wii wil disappear from shops, this one will stay.

This is no redesign, this is just the wii. This is like PS3 version CECH-3001B wil be replaced with CECH-3000B. Also not a redesign, just a replacement.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Mael said:
that's the joke?
I am sorry good sir, but it's only "thats the joke" if the people who are saying it are actually joking. Your question mark, indicative of self doubt, is warranted and appropriate.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Ydahs said:

Why? Beats me, since it was their focus from the start, but it's likely a marketing decision to lure in more non gamers during the holiday period where there will be a price cut.
This is what I believe they're trying to do. They need to meet their hw sales forecasts, so a family-oriented pack just in time for Christmas could be very helpful.
More than them changing their target market, it looks more like a last minute attempt to fix a bad year and control damages.

Ruud_Luiten said:
Not different, but replacement. This will be the Wii.
Old Wii wil disappear from shops, this one will stay.

This is no redesign, this is just the wii. This is like PS3 version CECH-3001B wil be replaced with CECH-3000B. Also not a redesign, just a replacement.
Is this confirmed? Very stupid if true.

Mael

Teknoman said:
I dunno, alot of those games felt better with the CCpro.

Metal Slug doesn't support the CC, I know it's an early Wii game but still.
And the analog placement for n64 is wrong on the CC.

Cygnus X-1 said:
Wii Party came out later than WSR.

I know. This is not a better deal in any way. Casual market will not notice though.

Except they're already not buying that packing and NOT buying Wiiparty anyway, wtf is that going to make it more appealing in replacing a popular game with a game no one wants?
Better make an hardcore bundle with Other M while they're at it.

lobdale said:
I am sorry good sir, but it's only "thats the joke" if the people who are saying it are actually joking. Your question mark, indicative of self doubt, is warranted and appropriate.

I'll admit that was a bad subtle joke about people not knowing what the wii looks llike when powered on...

Raonak

Banned
I remember when console redesigns were actually better... PS2 slim had network play out of the box. But lacked the disk tray, which i liked.

On the other hand... Makes early adopters more glad they jumped on early. (preorders vita before back touch is removed in the 2000 series)

Michan

Diffense said:
Pretty much.
The message is well taken from where I stand.

I've owned mutilple generations of Nintendo consoles but they've really fallen in my eyes.
Wii is absolutely a joke right now and the few games I actually want to play I have to import.
Then on 3DS, I'm playing more DSiWare and VC games than anything else and even that was only possible once the shop channel came online months after launch.
Then they kindly let me know I wasted $80 but I at least I get some old ROM dumps in return!

My attitude towards this company has changed immensely in just a few months.
Now they have work to do to regain my confidence in their products.
*This* gimped Wii is just something else for me to ignore.
At least you got something for being an early adopter. When Apple releases its updated hardware, people don't get 20 free apps... despite releasing updated hardware yearly in many cases (with much more than $80 of savings to be had). Most companies shun their early adopters, and most products are either reduced in price or revised sooner or later.

You get 20 free games, you get to have the console straight away, and there is more chance of good third party support (meaning more/better games for you to play) in the future. What have you lost? If you have regrets about being an early adopter, then perhaps you should wait for the platform to be established, since this kind of stuff often happens.

Oh, and this Wii update is designed for you to ignore.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
lobdale said:
Actually, I was serious (*cue joke about not turning my Wii on for a long time and only remembering the two off LED colors*). Hence the "ssshh, not so loud" to cover up the gaffe, lol.

Cygnus X-1

Mael said:
Except they're already not buying that packing and NOT buying Wiiparty anyway, wtf is that going to make it more appealing in replacing a popular game with a game no one wants?
Better make an hardcore bundle with Other M while they're at it.

Maybe exactly because of that? A game that appeals can sell by itself, whereas the inclusion of a game who does not appeal is the best way to reduce the stockpiles in excess. Of course alone would kill the sales of whole package, but since it packed with Wii Sports, no-one will notice the difference.

Another thought: So this is how they celebrate 10 years of GameCube
*insert PS3 joke?*

Scotch said:
Too bad. So this thing has no redeeming quality whatsoever.
The reason for these power bricks (and why they won't change) is it means aside from serial number and firmware every Wii is the same meaning manufacturer can easily change regions to suit demand lowering production costs. Since different parts of the world use different voltages, it falls to the power brick to ensure the Wii gets the right power supplied. I think systems used to do this in the plug due to the power the systems required being small. As systems consume more energy this would make the plug a fire hazzard (it used to be a problem with importing as with each next gen came needing a higher voltage step-down convertor).

Plus, power surge=dead power brick rather than dead system.

I assume there is no financial incentive to a smaller brick if this thing even uses much less power.

Jocchan said:
(which *could* mean loss of WiiConnect24, by the way)
I hope so. That feature manages to be both useless* and extremely dangerous.
Corruptor of Gamecube memory cards, melter of GPU
*-It flashes at 4AM to tell you about the firmware update you downloaded several weeks ago...

Top Bottom