• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

BRB going to go get a wii-u... This is amazing news! A wind waker game with updated visuals would be perfect. For me, nothing beats the legend of zelda series, with link to the past my favorite. I loved wind waker though and can't wait to see it in glorious hd visuals.

Waaghals

I guess Nintendo just discovered the HD port.

This interests me to some extent. Always wanted to play Wind Waker, but haven't bothered to track down a copy. Not entirely sold on the art style.

OH yeah !!!

tumblr_l7qse5wJZ31qaqggd.gif

Tuck

An important note regarding the visuals:

Something I have not seen mentioned in this thread so far is the background behind the visuals. Iwata mentioned that the team began Zelda Wii U by going back and bringing previous art styles to HD. They did so with Wind Waker, but in their experiments, what arose was something completely different (Largely in part because of the lighting and effects, I think). In other words, they are aware that this is not just "Wind Waker in HD." It is "Wind Waker with a different art style." Thats not to say people should not be upset if they don't like the change, but rather to give reasoning for the change itself.

I loved Wind Waker's art style. I think I prefer it over this one, but I do still like what I see here. I do however think it is important to realize that the varried art style was created unintentionally, but they did choose to stick with it. What arises is an interesting, different visual take on the Wind Waker universe.

megalowho

So much neon and bloom

I appreciate that they're not just doing a straight port, and the updated visual style could be amazing. Feels a bit off in screenshot form though, especially the character close ups. Can't wait to see more.

UrbanRats

I love how people compare this to fucking dolphin screenshots.

And I don't see the celshading gone, it's just different, and looks nice. Will buy.

What's weird about that comparison? You say Wind Waker HD, and the dolphin emulation is the first logical thing you think of.
I think it ruins the cartoony effect and actually looks shitty, but that's another story.. point being, the comparison is sound.

while it looks really nice to me, I still prefer the look I got when I played it on Dolphin.

btw, so they aren't going to include any new content?

Cel-Shading is just a marketing term? THIS is Cel Shaded? lol. No, it's not.
No it's literally a marketing term for a slightly different way of rendering real-time 3D. There is no actual standard. Cel-shading traditionally tries to emulate the appearance of cel animation. More like a Jet Grind Radio

Wind Waker was using a slightly different approach than the general. Based more on high contrasts between the shaded and lighted.

Something that these screens we've seen lose to a degree.

Looks pretty gorgeous. It may not be the same timeless style as the original, but it still looks to be a timeless style on its own.

Probably bought... remove the damned Triforce hunt and it's definite.

Tunic

Absolutely epic announcements today! This was by far my favorite! Cannot wait, it looks absolutely beautiful!

Gartooth

I really do hope that with this remake, Nintendo seizes the opportunity to add in the two dungeons that got cut from the original release of the game. (and remove the Triforce fetch quest while they are at it)

Axiom

For me, this announcement of Wind Waker HD is the video game equivalent of a surprise blowjob from Christina Hendricks.

I had planned to get a 3DS this year, but I did not expect to want a Wii U in the same year I'll also be weighing a purchase of the next MS and Sony consoles.

As someone who was in the trenches with Dragona defending the fuck out of the Wind Waker art style when it was first announced, it's also nice to see everyone come around to it...it's just a shame they probably won't be adding the dungeons they replaced with Triforce fishing which ended up marring the whole experience.

Sakura

Considering the game is coming out this fall, I wouldn't expect any new dungeons or other significant content. If it were going to have something like that, they would've put it as a bullet point. They're most likely only doing a graphical overhaul, and then a few minor tweaks.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This looks like a PIXAR movie. I wonder why developpers didn't produce games with such graphics on HD consoles these past years. This art style in HD could win over anyone.

jett

D-Member
Looking at the scenery it looks a bit low poly, which is good cuz that means this could run at 60fps, which would be the greatest.

Madness

This interests me to some extent. Always wanted to play Wind Waker, but haven't bothered to track down a copy. Not entirely sold on the art style.

People thought that before launch, and wind waker turned out to be one of the best designed games of the decade.

The art style only adds to the mood.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah... ummm guys that is still "cel-shading" which in itself is just a marketing term. But with vastly higher poly counts and more realistic lighting that might not be a perfect fit.

Until I see lava I can't decide if it's acceptable or not.

Hard lines?

Unless you just mean the stark contrasts between shaded and lighted I'm not sure what you mean with that.
Well, the game has a more 'rendered' look to it. It looks great, but I think people expected something like this...

The difference is pretty apparent. That said, I really do like it. Reminds me of what Sega did with Sonic Generations and Unleashed.

People thought that before launch, and wind waker turned out to be one of the best designed games of the decade.

The art style only adds to the mood.
It's a bit short of content, though. There are far fewer places to visit than in previous Zelda titles and the Triforce hunt really IS quite tedious. If they could fine tune the game a bit that would be nice as well.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Since this is an experiment for the style of the next Zelda perhaps they intend to give the next Link brown sleeves!

And pink hair

dani_dc

I hope they add actual new content and not just a graphical overhaul, otherwise this will be disappointing, if there was any Zelda game that didn't need a graphical overhaul that title would be Wind Waker, game still looks gorgerous today (in my opinion better than the images they are showing today), and an HD port with proper widescreen would suffice.

If they're actually going back an adding new content to the game (which it desesperatly needs) and take time to re-work the overworld and sailing mechanics so it's actually interesting to travel on it however, I'll welcome this title.

Ithil

Predictably they discovered HD ports and are doing what they think it is, a HD remake. I'm not complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom