• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arizona GAF | It's a dry heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

lem0n

arizona-header-cropped.jpg

Welcome to the OT for AZ GAF!

I considered making a thread for our AZ residents a while back. Not sure why I never went through with it, maybe I just figured there weren't enough to warrant a thread? Well, there was a recent thread about someone here looking into relocating to Phoenix, and I saw a lot of Arizonians come out of the woodwork. Since I saw a fair few of AZGAF pop out of no-where, and along with a suggestion from boredofcanada, I decided maybe we can give it a shot! Whether it's just BS'ing about the Hell-like weather at the moment, the never-ending construction, or maybe just the best place to eat, I hope this thread serves you well! Maybe, even, we can get a meet-up going at Endgame in Tempe or something. I'm always happy to meet like-minded folks that share our love for games!

I guess start off by sharing where-abouts you live, and what brought you here (since many of the people that live here are not native) and one cool piece of info about your area... mom and pop game shop? Great hole-in-the-wall restaurant? Awesome place to go sight-seeing? Whatever it may be!

I'm Mike, and I live out in the boonies called Queen Creek. Southeast of Gilbert/Chandler. Nice little spot. My parents dragged me out here from Massachusetts back in 2006 I believe. As far as a little info about the area, there's a place called SanTan Flat near me and they have some of the best burgers and steaks around. A real country western restaurant.

Right then, who else?

explain-tucson-30.jpg

BTW: I know AZ has been in the news for some pretty, uh, interesting reasons, try not to make this a negative thread. I'm not saying don't discuss anything like that, just keep it civil lol. Thx everyone for reading!

I am interested in meeting some fellow AZ gaffers! I'm down in south scottsdale and enjoy the state quite a bit

I am originally from Wyoming but moved down here because of family and a chance to go to school at ASU. Fast forward a few years, I have a degree, have a fun job in chandler and let gaming take over as much as my lovely wife allows :) I must give a shout out to four peaks brewing company in tempe for their kilt lifter microbrew, a very nice beverage to combat the crazy government and heat during the summer.

My favorite guilty pleasures of the valley (or basin, if you listen to sports radio...) is filbertos carne asada fries and breakfast from the chase diner in chandler (alma school and warner) with an honorable mention to US Egg and their protein pancakes. The coolest thing I found when moving here is the diverse ecosystem. It is an alien land compared to the rockies. The amount of fauna and flora in the ecosystem amazes me, as does the uniqueness of said life that can call this place home. Everyone should do themselves a favor and visit the botanical gardens in papago park, it is breathtaking.

Myself and my family are huge cardinals and dbacks fans, and would always welcome an opportunity to meet up with a fellow gaffer at said sporting events!

Hello I just moved to Tempe five weeks ago from Miami FL. I have some great friends down here that have been here for a while and were always trying to get me to visit, which I did earlier this year, and I loved it so much I moved here three months later. I just started working at a Civil engineering firm up in Paradise valley so I'm up in that area a lot as well, but I mainly hang around Tempe. I haven't even been to Chandler or Gilbert or Mesa yet. I'm still a little overwhelmed. Its very different from Miami.

Anyhow ive been a member of Neogaf since 2009 and I've always wanted to do a meetup. I'm sure members will get a long in real life as well. So doing one now would be double great for me cause I'll meet GAF members and Phoenix members as well. I hang out a lot at this place Cornish Pasty on University and Hardy. The food and beer selection is really on point. I'm sure you guys have been there. VIG in Phoenix is pretty good too. So is LUX cafe in Phoenix. But endgame makes the most sense I think.

Oh Blacksalad, I got food poisoning at Filibertos last week. Never again.

I moved to Anthem (20 miles north of Phoenix, or just south of New River) back in 2007 because the Wells Fargo office in Colorado Springs my mom used to work at closed down, so we had the option to relocate to Des Moines or here (or get another job in the Springs, which wouldn't pay enough anyway), so despite my dad hating the heat and loving cold, snowbound winters, we came here.

Anthem is a small town split in half by I-17. We have 3 major roads: Anthem Way, Gavilan Peak Parkway, and Daisy Mountain Drive. We have 3 grocery stores: Fry's, Wal-Mart, and Haggen's (which recently replaced Safeway, which no one liked in the first place). To the south is Tramonto, which has an Albertson's. We also have 4 Starbucks, 3 Circle K gas stations, and 4 Subways. We got a shopping mall (Outlets at Anthem), which mostly has clothing stores, and you can get that cheaper at Wal-Mart anyway (which is across the way). We have a small donut shop called Sweetheart Donuts. There's another near the Albertson's called Desert Donuts. Plenty of retail and restaurants, but housing is expensive, so most people commute to Phoenix.

I've been working at the Fry's Signature here for...too long, but I've made plenty of friends here, and even customers know me by name. We're the best store in our zone (however big that is). I do love our Fuel Points program (for every $100 you spend, you get $0.10/gal off at Circle K, Shell, and Fry's gas stations). But enough shameless promotion.

However, because of the distance between Anthem and Phoenix, I rarely go down there. I'll go to Happy Valley to the Harkins theater though. I do love Fry's Electronics. My brother lives in El Mirage, and has recently been doing running, even participating in the Rock N' Roll Marathon back in January. i also have a great-aunt who lives in Mesa (moving into a new home soon).

I also went to Phoenix Comicon last year.

PBalfredo

I guess start off by sharing where-abouts you live, and what brought you here (since many of the people that live here are not native) and one cool piece of info about your area... mom and pop game shop? Great hole-in-the-wall restaurant? Awesome place to go sight-seeing? Whatever it may be!

While I'm currently living in Colorado, I grew up in Tucson and went to school in Phoenix. If you're ever in Tucson and you want a great hole-in-the-wall breakfast place, I highly recommend Brawley's Restaurant. Their food is real good and crazy cheap. $1.95 for two eggs, hashbrowns and toast.

And this shouldn't be news to anyone in AZ, but Bookman's is a fantastic place to pick up used and retro games.

Oh Blacksalad, I got food poisoning at Filibertos last week. Never again.

You've already had a filbertos authentic experience! You should be proud! Believe me, it is not uncommon, but you just have to know the "less authentic" locations. You will get the same at any one of the 'ertos mexican places scattered around here, so don't think you're safe going to one of the knock-offs.

Side note-I sort of understand where you are coming from since you moved from Miami, my wife lived there for 6 months doing an internship. It is a completely different world, but most of that can be attributed to west coast vs east coast--The urban spread vs the dense city, the lack of personality of a place that was mostly constructed in the 90's vs an old city.

Anyone like lan parties? :S

Ha, I have a couple of buddies who live in Anthem and am up there quite a bit, what you just described is 100% accurate. And if you are ever up there, go to Q-to-U BBQ, place is good.

I was born and raised in Arizona (Gasp, I know we are a rare breed). Grew up in Phoenix where I still live today and went to ASU, so the heat doesn't bother me like most people.

Favorite places to eat in the valley

Lucilles - Tempe
Haus Murphys - Glendale
Four Peaks - Tempe/Scottsdale
Joe's Farm Grill - Gilbert
Bootleggers - Phoenix
Cornish Pasty - Scottsdale/Tempe
Oreganos
Habaneros - Scottsdale

And like most people I too avoid Filibertos.

And I too an a Masochist and am an Arizona sports fan. :\

I live out on the west side, in Litchfield Park; I'm taking summer classes at ASU right now but normally I'm a U of A student. Parents moved me here back in 2001. Can't say I enjoy the heat, in fact tbh once I graduate I'm planning on moving up north, preferrably somewhere in Canada.

They just opened an Oregano's near me (Oregano's Goodyear) and that shit's great. Sad to say I don't know my area very well because my parents never took me to eat out and didn't have access to a car until recently. Like, there's been a Whataburger near my house since we moved here and only two years ago did I try it for the first time, by myself, because my parents didn't want to try it. Probably why when I was in Tucson I ate at as many restaurants I could, to try everything.

AntoneM

Live about 2.5 miles north of Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport, thankfully the runways are East-West aligned. Work in Uptown so the location is ideal. Love it becaue I'm about 15 minutes from Old Town Scottsdale, Downtown, Uptown, and Biltmore, and right near the Arcadia district. Additionally, they just tore down and rebuild the 2 elementary schools nearby so I get the feeling the neighborhood is ready to take off *cough*.

Oh, been here since 2003, I think that gives me unofficial native status or something, lol.

RoKKeR

Born and raised (for a few years) there, and my entire family calls it home. Do not miss the summer heat, that's for sure.

Headed to Powell in a few weeks here, hopefully the heat means the water will be nice and warm.

Ridli

There is definitely a decent chunk of AZ-gaf, they just don't usually advertise themselves.

I'm in the Tucson area myself, which has its ups and downs. I haven't paid attention to local game stores for years, but we seem to have more people gathering for stuff like MTG and comics. At least that's what I remember, I've been out of that scene for a while. Thankfully it's a quick enough trip up north to hit Phoenix if you need to do a major event like cons, so it never feels lacking.

I do enjoy the Cornish Pasty up in the valley, that place kinda jump started me into baking over the last year and a half. As for restaurants, man, there is quite a few good places to eat in the Old Pueblo. Steakhouses, food trucks/Sonoran hot dog carts, BBQ joints, decent pho, bistros and pubs- honestly sometimes I feel we're out of our weight class regarding restaurants for a town our size.

I do miss visiting Flagstaff though. I used to have family up there and I would make a point to spend a weekend in the mountains around this time of year when the heat got over 110.

lem0n

Ah! Some replies! Awesome. Man you guys are all over! Rhomega, you're like in the Queen Creek of the West Side, haha. I only ever see Anthem if I happen to be heading up north to Jerome or something lol.

Have any of you tried DeFalcos Italian Deli in Scottsdale? It's like 3 miles north of the 202 on Scottsdale Rd. I swear I've never had a better sandwich.

Have any of you tried DeFalcos Italian Deli in Scottsdale? It's like 3 miles north of the 202 on Scottsdale Rd. I swear I've never had a better sandwich.

Not too big on delis myself, though I should be. I should go to Schlotsky's one of these days.

Also, we have Roberto's Mexican Grill, here and in Phoenix, notable for being featured on the Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. There's also another Mexican place in Phoenix we go to sometimes called Aunt Chilada's. Want pizza? We got 5 chains here (Pizza Hut, Dominoes, Papa John's, Papa Murphy's, and Barro's), as well as Streets of New York (which I haven't been to in a long time). Want Japanese? We got Ebisu, though I haven't been there.

We also have a Taekwondo school, and I've seen ads for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Have you guys ever heard of Yuma

Yeah, I took a 3:10 train there once. Seriously, we lived in Omaha back during the '90s, and my mom visited Phoenix once to visit relatives (not sure which, step-grandmother?), and when she came back, she gave me and my brother these cartoon-ish maps of Arizona, showing sights and cities all around the state, including Yuma, Flagstaff, Globe, Payson, Sedona, Meteor Crater, the Grand Canyon, and Superstition Mountain.

I moved to Anthem (20 miles north of Phoenix, or just south of New River) back in 2007 because the Wells Fargo office in Colorado Springs my mom used to work at closed down, so we had the option to relocate to Des Moines or here (or get another job in the Springs, which wouldn't pay enough anyway), so despite my dad hating the heat and loving cold, snowbound winters, we came here.

Anthem is a small town split in half by I-17. We have 3 major roads: Anthem Way, Gavilan Peak Parkway, and Daisy Mountain Drive. We have 3 grocery stores: Fry's, Wal-Mart, and Haggen's (which recently replaced Safeway, which no one liked in the first place). To the south is Tramonto, which has an Albertson's. We also have 4 Starbucks, 3 Circle K gas stations, and 4 Subways. We got a shopping mall (Outlets at Anthem), which mostly has clothing stores, and you can get that cheaper at Wal-Mart anyway (which is across the way). We have a small donut shop called Sweetheart Donuts. There's another near the Albertson's called Desert Donuts. Plenty of retail and restaurants, but housing is expensive, so most people commute to Phoenix.

I've been working at the Fry's Signature here for...too long, but I've made plenty of friends here, and even customers know me by name. We're the best store in our zone (however big that is). I do love our Fuel Points program (for every $100 you spend, you get $0.10/gal off at Circle K, Shell, and Fry's gas stations). But enough shameless promotion.

However, because of the distance between Anthem and Phoenix, I rarely go down there. I'll go to Happy Valley to the Harkins theater though. I do love Fry's Electronics. My brother lives in El Mirage, and has recently been doing running, even participating in the Rock N' Roll Marathon back in January. i also have a great-aunt who lives in Mesa (moving into a new home soon).

I also went to Phoenix Comicon last year.

I'm so sorry. I went to Boulder Creek because my family moved out here in 2004 and decided upon Anthem as our destination. I live in Northwest Phoenix now.

I'm down to host a GAF-meetup at my place in NW Phoenix if anyone is down.

Edit: Do you know Keith in the dairy section? He's early morning.

Oddish1

Born and raised in Tucson here. Just spent the weekend moving. In the middle of Summer.

It wasn't very pleasant.

mrjohill

Hey guys I live out in maricopa. I went to Hamilton high school and ASU. This heat has been straight killer these past few weeks.

Hip Hop

Hey guys I live out in maricopa. I went to Hamilton high school and ASU. This heat has been straight killer these past few weeks.

Definitely.

This 110F+ Weather has been crazy.

Can't wait until it gets back to the lower 100's. -_-

Down in Tucson here. :)
glad to see other AZ peeps.

woo, Tucson-Gaf checking in. I used to live in Phoenix/Glendale for 5 years before moving to Tucson last year. About to buy a condo in the foothills. Tucson is pretty great, but the amount a crack head looking people rolling through the city on their weird motorized bicycles asking for money can get a bit exhausting ( I live in Midtown atm). If anyone is new to Az and has not tried the Sonoran dog yet.. do it!

Syncytia

Anyone in south Tempe area looking for a filibertos fix check out Salazar Bros on Guadalupe and Rural. It's like filibertos...but made with real food and not greasy.

Or just go to Los Taquitos and get the bombero burrito. They're fajitas are also bomb.

Oh god, I'm going to miss Mexican food so much when I move in August.

lolmoose

Neo Member
Filiberto's is pretty dope, but Carolina's is the shit. I still have yet to try Lo Lo's Chicken & Waffles. Props to Kilt lifter too btw. That and San Tan's Mr. Pineapple.

Nephtis

I'm also a Tucsonan. I'm north-ish (by the Tucson Mall) -- I work for a cancer research company. I absolutely love it here -- it's a good town to live in provided you've a good AC unit on your home and car. That's only for a few months though, the rest of the time it's pretty alright.

Best 'hole-in-the-wall' place I can think of is El Nene on Flowing Wells and Wetmore. Best hot dogs I've had and pretty decent tacos. Far, far superior to El Guero Canelo imo.

Those of us in Tucson, how about we set up a meeting? We could hang out at a cafe like Cartel, or we could have some Japanese food at Yoshimatsu or Yamato. If people need a ride, I can accommodate for it!

And this shouldn't be news to anyone in AZ, but Bookman's is a fantastic place to pick up used and retro games.

Bookman's is where I got my first copy of Xenogears. I was really bummed I couldn't find it anywhere and a friend suggested I give it a try. I think my face was hurting from smiling so much. Before I even got to pay I had my money ready to go lol

Those of us in Tucson, how about we set up a meeting? We could hang out at a cafe like Cartel, or we could have some Japanese food at Yoshimatsu or Yamato. If people need a ride, I can accommodate for it!

I'd be down for this. I've honestly not met a lot of people since moving here. I can also help accommodate if people need a ride. Tucson has tons of good food so the options are limitless. Japanese sounds good, or Vietnamese, or pizza. Shout out to Rocco's Little Chicago. I'm from just north of Chicago, and it is the closest thing i've had to deep dish since moving to Az.

Live in Ahwatukee here. Work at Wildflower Bread Company, if you haven't eaten there yet our food is awesome.

Sushi - Sakana (Ahwatukee)

Can confirm. Sakana is great. I went to the Glendale location all the time.

Nephtis

I'd be down for this. I've honestly not met a lot of people since moving here. I can also help accommodate if people need a ride. Tucson has tons of good food so the options are limitless. Japanese sounds good, or Vietnamese, or pizza. Shout out to Rocco's Little Chicago. I'm from just north of Chicago, and it is the closest thing i've had to deep dish since moving to Az.

Yeah I'd be down for some deep dish pizza, too.

Partition

Banned
Live in Ahwatukee here. Work at Wildflower Bread Company, if you haven't eaten there yet our food is awesome.

As far as food around the valley, my favorites are

Italian / Pizza - Cibo (Downtown), Pizza Bianco (Downtown), North (Downtown / Scottsdale)
Mexican - Taco Guild (Downtown), The Mission (Old Town Scottsdale), Los Taquitos (Ahwatukee), Elote Cafe (Sedona, but well worth the trip)
Sushi - Sakana (Ahwatukee)

firedonut

Neo Member
Anyone in south Tempe area looking for a filibertos fix check out Salazar Bros on Guadalupe and Rural. It's like filibertos...but made with real food and not greasy.

Always nice to see someone mention the greatness that is Salazar Bros.

Moved down here from Portland in 1988, have lived in pretty much every suburb at some point, and currently live in Mesa (for the third time).

Like Chinese food? Check out Dragon Express on Alma School and Baseline. It's good stuff.

browndoom

Born/raised phoenix, AZ. Currently live centralish phoenix.

Probably one of the best/most unique restaurants in AZ is Chino Bandido's.

10Q & 7 B W

Born/raised phoenix, AZ. Currently live centralish phoenix.

Probably one of the best/most unique restaurants in AZ is Chino Bandido's.

10Q & 7 B W

chino bandito is completely legit, I love that place!

I'm glad to see this thread getting some response =D

So, for a gaf meet-up... We can do the usual things like hit mill or what-not (didn't an arcade open up on mill not too long ago?) but honestly we need a lan party ;D

Who's ready for some quake 3!

Stealth edit, we can probably set one up at ASU for minimal cost considering it is summer. Plus ASU is a pretty good location if we want to do something else for awhile

lem0n

So, for a gaf meet-up... We can do the usual things like hit mill or what-not (didn't an arcade open up on mill not too long ago?) but honestly we need a lan party ;D

Stealth edit, we can probably set one up at ASU for minimal cost considering it is summer. Plus ASU is a pretty good location if we want to do something else for awhile
I'm totally down with this idea. Anywhere is cool. I would host if I weren't 50 miles from PHX.

Edit: Yeah the response has been super positive so far, theres more of us that I thought!!

Lived in phoenix for 3 years for school off of camelback and 16th.

All my family and friends would give me that dry heat argument lol.

Highest i temp i dealt with was 123. Blew my mind haha.

There are aspects i miss. I def miss my favorite stir fry place lol.

Also miss barro's pizza.

browndoom

I'm totally down. Probably thinking of End Game.

http://endgamebar.com/

Pretty cool place.

Lived in phoenix for 3 years for school off of camelback and 16th.

All my family and friends would give me that dry heat argument lol.

Highest i temp i dealt with was 123. Blew my mind haha.

I think once you hit 110+ the "dry heat" doesn't matter, its just terrible. Reverse side, when I lived in Wyoming it would be below freezing for 4 months out of the year and we wouldn't go outside anyway.

Best feeling is when you wake up in the winter months and go sit outside for the morning coffee/dog walk.

Right now though, the only thing I hate more than the heat is that the sun starts to rise at 4am. Throws me into all sorts of confusion in the morning. "OMG I overslept" only to see that it is 5:13 AM. I suppose it is just the sun gods telling me this is when I should be awake as opposed to now (11pm, 105F)

Also, raise your hands if you sunglasses have melted in your car

*hand raised*

lem0n

I think once you hit 110+ the "dry heat" doesn't matter, its just terrible. Reverse side, when I lived in Wyoming it would be below freezing for 4 months out of the year and we wouldn't go outside anyway.

Best feeling is when you wake up in the winter months and go sit outside for the morning coffee/dog walk.

Right now though, the only thing I hate more than the heat is that the sun starts to rise at 4am. Throws me into all sorts of confusion in the morning. "OMG I overslept" only to see that it is 5:13 AM. I suppose it is just the sun gods telling me this is when I should be awake as opposed to now (11pm, 105F)

Ugh, we just ran to Fryes in my Miata for a couple things and I regretted putting the top down, at 10 at night. FML

yeah the heat retention in the city is insane. Drive down the east side of the 101 and feel that nice cool breeze off the reservations and it is equally mind blowing. I regularly have to go work out at a place near Gila Bend, though, and despite it being completely isolated from the concrete mega conductor, it is always 5+ degrees hotter.

I have to be there for the next few days, bleh... Its by the city dump too so the flies are horrendous. Our facility is a large beacon of air conditioning in that god forsaken area, so any and everything has shown up inside (huge scorpions, camel spiders, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom