• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•19-21•17 - Express elevator hauls Alien to top, passing everything

If you're saying Pirates 6 needs to add The Rock & Statham, I'd pay good money for that
Those two as two stranded pirates trying to get back somewhere, and shit keeps going sideways? It would be awesome and hilarious.

Or just have Rock as Scorpion King in PotC. Cross the streams.

Slayven

Kurt Russell in GotG 2 was pretty convincing. I guess that was a mixture of practical makeup effects and CGI. The pure CGI methods need more time in the oven though.

I imagine in 5 years they will do a movie with young versions of old actors just for the press.

The first film was not small-scale. Its budget, adjusted for inflation, was almost $200 million.

Well, that's not quite what I meant. I wasn't calling the first film small. Primarily I was referring to the small-scale of the original film's scope (rather than the world traveling epic with hurricane battles and dozens of ships and numerous CGI characters at any moment). Secondarily I meant a smaller budget by comparison to whatever the hell has been going on.

Even ignoring the zombies and shit (since, you know, the first movie had undead pirates as villains as well), you cannot make a seafaring blockbuster cheaply, for the most part. Building boats is expensive. Shooting at sea/on water is expensive. Now, it doesn't need to be this expensive, but you're probably still looking at somewhere between $150-250 million with the budgets reigned in.

Sure, but I think there are ways to scale all of that back. It might sound crazy to say, but I honestly don't think a PotC movie doesn't necessarily have to spend so much time on the sea.

And yeah, the first movies had zombies, but not like in Pirates 2 and 3 (and... 4? I don't remember) where they frequently had several full-CGI characters on screen simultaneously throughout enormous parts of the movie, which is what I was getting at. (but I mean... they also don't need zombies at all - they were fun in the first movie as the twist, it didn't need to be a thing in ALL FOUR sequels)

Mind both of you though, I never actually said make one on the cheap. Just stop letting the productions get so obscenely out of hand, after already greenlighting obscene budgets. I know the prior is easier said than done, but this franchise has like, four of the most expensive films ever? Someone needs to knock something the fuck off lol.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
When Prime goes "FORGIVE ME" before trying to decapitate Bumblebee, I will relate because that's Michael Bay and me.

I read a leaked scriptment for part 6. Prime says "Die, commie! For freedom!" as he decapitates Bumblebee.
I can only assume that 'commie' will be changed to 'imperialist dog' in China.

DeathyBoy

Banned
You all laugh but Hunnam put in one of the best performances of the year in The Lost City of Z.

I won't. Dude is legit a good actor, but he's not right for blockbusters. Sake way Sam Worthington was legit outstanding in Somersault, but went to Hollywood and was left to rot.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I saw the reviews.

But I still didn't expect that to actually be the worst pirates movie.

I can't imagine thinking it was worse than the 4th or even the 3rd. I had a blast.

Jeeezus.

I'm at the Boeing IMAX (the best screen in the state) and it's barely a third full.

I think I've seen all the Pirates sequels on its Thursday night opening and I don't remember it ever being packed. I don't think it's ever attracted the opening night fans like other franchises might.

Im extremely satisfied if POTC 5 as an ending if it bombs.
I definitely want more but it is at a good end if need be.

Yeah, it was a great ending to the series if that's it.

But the post-credits scene makes me want another.

I can't imagine thinking it was worse than the 4th or even the 3rd. I had a blast.

Yeah, it was a great ending to the series if that's it.

But the post-credits scene makes me want another.

Yup, i'd almost put it with DMC but I just loved it too much. I think I saw it 3 or 4 times in theaters.

This was easily my favorite plot and setup though.

Slayven

New rule, unless you are Marvel, you can't put stingers in your movie until after opening weekend. Save some people from embarrassment

I'm glad you guys liked it. I had a really bad time during this.

It's probably a better movie than On Stranger Tides, but this one is far, far more disappointing. There are elements here that could have made for an interesting movie, but instead it retreads entirely old territory without having any grasp on why those moments worked in the past. The way the plot moves forward is complete nonsense and Brenton Thwaites is heroically bad. I also felt every 129 minutes of this thing.

Maybe I should get my name changed to Biggest-Grinch-Ever. :p

ZeoVGM

Banned
I left early and didn't see it, anyone willing to spoiler tag what happened?

Will and Elizabeth are in bed together during a storm. The door on the bedroom opens and you see a shadow walk into the room that seems to be slightly shaped like Davy Jones. Will turns over to see Davy's claws and immediately wakes up. It was apparently just a dream. He grabs Elizabeth to try and go back to sleep as the camera pans down to the floor, where there is water and a barnacle.

Busty

Banned
Welp. Baywatch made $4.5M yesterday, including the $1.3M in previews. It could end up missing $20M over the 4-day weekend.

How you fuck up a comedy with such likeable and charismatic actors as Dwayne Johnson and Zac Effron is utterly beyond me.

And why anyone would take such a recogniseable family brand as Baywatch and turn it into an R rated comedy is similarly baffling to me.

That's lower than forecasts for Baywatch(?). BOmojo was predicting 28.7 million.
It's lower than everyone thought. I had figured it would have a less frontloaded to previews opening day than Hangover 3 (even though that was only midnights), but it ended up being even more frontloaded.

If it follows Hangover 3's daily pattern, it would hit only $19.2M for the 4-day.
And why anyone would take such a recogniseable family brand as Baywatch and turn it into an R rated comedy is similarly baffling to me.
Between this and CHiPs box office, we may have seen the last of reviving old properties as R-rated comedies.

Slayven

How you fuck up a comedy with such likeable and charismatic actors as Dwayne Johnson and Zac Effron is utterly beyond me.

One review said Baywatch is how bad people thought 21 Jump Street was going to be

J_Viper

"From the director of Horrible Bosses"

Schlorgan

Any news on directors for the next Mission: Impossible?

I love how they have a different director for each movie but I recently rewatched Rogue Nation with my wife and I'd be totally okay if Christopher McQuarrie just did all of them from now on.

I would also be okay with him doing a Fast and Furious movie.

Sorcerer

Does Zac Effron literally just make the same movie over and over? Do they just change the title and tell him its a new script? This looks like the last 5 movies he's done with the Baywatch name on it.

Litan

Does Zac Effron literally just make the same movie over and over? Do they just change the title and tell him its a new script? This looks like the last 5 movies he's done with the Baywatch name on it.
What the hell is going on with him anyways? Nothing wrong with doing these types of movies, but why isn't he pursuing other types of roles as well? It's not like he's a bad actor.

Busty

Banned
If it follows Hangover 3's daily pattern, it would hit only $19.2M for the 4-day.Between this and CHiPs box office, we may have seen the last of reviving old properties as R-rated comedies.

I'm amazed that this 'genre' even managed to spawn two entries before it withered on the vine and died.

I have to say that I really like Effron in the (Bad) Neighbours films. I feel like Hollywood may have run out of patience in trying to make him work as a film star unless he get plugged into the DCU or some Marvel films.

jett

D-Member
I think Hollywood has actually given up on trying to make Zak Efron happen. I'm not sure they ever tried to make him happen. He doesn't get cast in anything of worth.

Got tickets to a Wonder Woman screening on Wednesday, but it's sponsored by Philly Comic-Con so I dunno if I wanna go and be surrounded by 300 Slayvens

Top Bottom