• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Megasoum

Banned
I want to buy the game but I'm waiting for a bigger deal on Steam right now. The thing is, I kinda want to buy it right away anyway cause once it's a daily there'll be a ton of new players and I want to get in ahead of the curve lol... yup I'm a DayZ hipster.

Amneisac

I want to buy the game but I'm waiting for a bigger deal on Steam right now. The thing is, I kinda want to buy it right away anyway cause once it's a daily there'll be a ton of new players and I want to get in ahead of the curve lol... yup I'm a DayZ hipster.

When I started playing there were like 8 servers, now there's a cockabillion. You're already way, way behind the curve. I'd wait to see if it becomes a daily.

Megasoum

Banned
When I started playing there were like 8 servers, now there's a cockabillion. You're already way, way behind the curve. I'd wait to see if it becomes a daily.

Oh yeah of course, I know I'm late to the party but there will be a crazy spike when it goes a daily. Anyway, I'll probaly wait.

Orenhy

Neo Member
So i did the mistake of following some guy, wasn't gonna kill him or anything wante the catch up and say hi, apparently he noticed me, hid and sniped me.
sadly i respawned bleeding and fainted with like an hour faint wait time, i cant load the menu to respawn.
FML

Mik might be the bigger death trap.

Nix! Get on this! The new GAF city will have meaning once more.

We're updated now.

EVERYONE IS REQUIRED TO HAVE 94997 TO PLAY ON THE GAF SERVER (US38)!

Fake edit: Someone needs to validate the server can still be joined. 15 or so people were on before I did the update and it's still empty even though its been up for 5-10 minutes.

Mostly because it's a dead giveaway that someone is there. Mechanically, it makes ambush and hiding much much harder.

But couldn't the zombies be there because you're there, if you know what I mean?
Unless, of course, you're in a chopper or something and spot them from the sky.

elseanio

I've played this game for close to 30 hours now and not once found a tent/camping equipment. Are they looted in specific places?

equil

Does anyone know how admins show announcements on their server? My friend run's my groups server and he couldnt figure out how to tell everyone he's restarting the server.

Does anyone know how admins show announcements on their server? My friend run's my groups server and he couldnt figure out how to tell everyone he's restarting the server.

Tell him to download ArmA2 RCON and use that.

I see the latest beta patch is 95054. Should I grab that or 94997?

94997 and up are required to play on our server.

YOU MUST UPDATE YOUR BATTLEYE TO PLAY ON OUR SERVER. YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE NEW DLL HERE. BE SURE TO DOWNLOAD THE DLL FOR v1.61.94945+!

Sorry guys, DayZ Team didn't make sure the installer or auto-updater were ready for this and now people's versions are all over the place.

Edit: And our mumble is fucked. All of the channels are now gone and it craps itself every 5-10 minutes.

ZenVolta

YOU MUST UPDATE YOUR BATTLEYE TO PLAY ON OUR SERVER. YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE NEW DLL HERE. BE SURE TO DOWNLOAD THE DLL FOR v1.61.94945+!

Sorry guys, DayZ Team didn't make sure the installer or auto-updater were ready for this and now people's versions are all over the place.

I think you also need to get the server.dll. When I grabbed only one file I got the "Battle eye failed to initialize" error

I've played this game for close to 30 hours now and not once found a tent/camping equipment. Are they looted in specific places?

The apartments in Cherno and the store there are the two places I always go to get tents
Get to a store, and server hop until you find one. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes, and you'll be full on supplies and probably have an alice pack and an enfield by the time you get a tent.

elseanio

The apartments in Cherno and the store there are the two places I always go to get tents
Get to a store, and server hop until you find one. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes, and you'll be full on supplies and probably have an alice pack and an enfield by the time you get a tent.

Thanks a lot. Generally don't server hop, but at least I know I'm not looking in the wrong places. Looted around Cherno a lot, so I guess I've just been unlucky not to find one yet.

TommyT

As I mentioned before I had my most heart-pounding experience with the game so far:

I finally meet up with my buddy Darren and we start to travel together from Mogilevka heading East to Staroye. Running low on some good meat we kill an animal in a field and cook what we get. We start to notice we could use something to drink and we both have canteens. A small pond with a medium value industrial is on the way, so we figure why not top ourselves off there. Getting to the pond from the north we see there are zombies, we're within the 500m range so that's not too surprising. Darren suggests we just head in and stock up. Myself being cautious say let's take it slow and come in from a more Northeastern position. Him leading with a radio tower for a gun on his back (no ammo) and a Makarov pistol out; me with a Winchester. I'm zoomed in looking around with him ~50m ahead and walking towards the lake when I see it: another survivor. "CONTACT TO YOUR LEFT! SURVIVOR BEHIND A TREE TRACKING YOU!" Split second decision making now: Friendly? Is his weapon drawn? What type of weapon do all three of us have? Range from survivor to my buddy? Range from me to either of them? Will our weapons kill at these distances... and more questions race through my head as I try to fill in all the variables. "HE'S GOT A WINCHESTER POINTED RIGHT AT ME!" HOLY ..."

Was this survivor friendly? I don't know, but I know I'd rather travel with my friend than alone. I've yet to encounter any other survivor than my personal friends... Is this person pointing a weapon? Yeah, he had his own Winchester tracking my friend. Distances? Me to my buddy - ~60m and holding - he's going to zig-zag and then go prone to avoid incoming fire. Survivor to my buddy - ~30m. At this range my buddy won't be likely to avoid a shot; he's too big of a target. At this range a Winchester has a very high probability of a one-hit-kill: My buddy is in real danger at this point. Me to Survivor - ~75m and hasn't spotted me as he's tracking my buddy. At this range he's a moderately hit-able target; yet half his body is behind a tree. At this range I don't have to worry about bullet variables; it's going to fly straight. At this range I can get a one-hit kill, but it isn't guaranteed... Decision? I've got to make this shot count and it has to be now.

"... *bang* SHIT! Wait, I'm good! Jeez... *whew*" Sorry random Survivor. My heart was racing but I didn't hesitate. Too much was at risk and I'd rather travel with my buddy than travel alone. Murder count: 1. My first real encounter with a random player outside of the starting areas. Conscience? No second guesses over what-if's. We moved on after claiming the now dead survivor's supplies.

Chinner

Banned
Tell him to download ArmA2 RCON and use that.

Edit: And our mumble is fucked. All of the channels are now gone and it craps itself every 5-10 minutes.
how do you install it

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Welp, trying to update this again since my absence from the last update caused my mod not to work. I'm getting the latest BE dll and patch and verified the cache on both games.

Now I'm getting Error creating d3d graphic engine. Not sure what this means.

Chinner

Banned
can someone help?

i think i broke the mod or something. i've updated both dayz and the beta patch, and now when i go into the server list the majority of servers now have red crosses next ot them.

Arment

So a friend finally logged on. I was getting bored of scrounging Cherno by myself so it was about time. We booked it to Stary Sobor and I found a CZ550. I'd been looking for a sniper rifle in barns for days at this point and found one in the tents at SS.

We found a few crash sites but they were picked clean.

Next stop is the NW airfield to put this sniper rifle to use.

I really think that rocket should probably put the item spawn depending on how many players there are.

Example: with 50 players you'd have a 5% chance of finding the good weapon on a barn, and then if there's barely any player you'd only have a 0,5% chance.

Because I really think it's "OP" to go to low populated servers and server hopping to find good weapons without any risk and actually finding them.

Arment

I really think that rocket should probably put the item spawn depending on how many players there are.

Example: with 50 players you'd have a 5% chance of finding the good weapon on a barn, and then if there's barely any player you'd only have a 0,5% chance.

Because I really think it's "OP" to go to low populated servers and server hopping to find good weapons without any risk and actually finding them.

With everyone doing it, it's becoming very hard to get loot anywhere.

I admit I've been doing it. I probably hopped 20~ times in this barn the other night out of sheer boredom and frustration at not finding a sniper rifle. I'd say 70% of the time it was clear someone else already got to the barn first. Some times I'd load in and there wouldn't be any loot period. That seemed kind of weird, you'd figure cans and bottles and stuff, but no. One time there was 6 hatchets in the barn. I had that happen to me in a high yield corner store once too. 5 ALICE bags and nothing else. Seems like a bug.

NH Apache

Banned
Finally got everything back up and running.

Log in - I had alt tabbed in. ANd I was shooting and couldn't stop. AKM went through a whole clip at the NW Airfield.

Manage to get out of it by killing 8 zombies. Lost all aggro.

Scouting a couple houses in the western side of the airfield. Round a corner and boom. Two guys lying prone right around the corner. Blasted me. I figured I wouldn't run into anyone as there were only 5 guys on the server.

Just when things were getting good.

I admit I've been doing it. I probably hopped 20~ times in this barn the other night out of sheer boredom and frustration at not finding a sniper rifle. I'd say 70% of the time it was clear someone else already got to the barn first. Some times I'd load in and there wouldn't be any loot period. That seemed kind of weird, you'd figure cans and bottles and stuff, but no. One time there was 6 hatchets in the barn. I had that happen to me in a high yield corner store once too. 5 ALICE bags and nothing else. Seems like a bug.

and serverhopping can be fixed by despawning all the items close enough to the player on spawn. Either way, i also serverhopped HAVING a mp5sd because I wanted a m4sd lol.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, no one bit on my earlier inquiry so I deleted Arma 2 and CO. Re-downloading from Steam now. Gonna do it all from scratch unless a Bohemia rep can tell me why I would be getting a graphical engine error. It was just working a few days back too. I could at least get in the game.

Jburton

Banned
Is Arma 2 CO all I need to buy to use this mod?

If so I will hopefully see you guys on there tomorrow evening ....... I am so fucked lol!

Hopefully some of you friendly Gaffers can help a noob out.

ZenVolta

Im f'ing confused. Over on the dayZ forums they are talking about an update for Steam and some sort of "DLC"(in quotes cuz thats what a mod called it. God only knows what if thats really what it is.)

Wow at the people having troubles. If its battle eye related, be sure to download both Client and server DLLs.

@TheNiX I just checked the server and there was about 6 people on.

Im f'ing confused. Over on the dayZ forums they are talking about an update for Steam and some sort of "DLC"(in quotes cuz thats what a mod called it. God only knows what if thats really what it is.)

Wow at the people having troubles. If its battle eye related, be sure to download both Client and server DLLs.

@TheNiX I just checked the server and there was about 6 people on.

Thanks for checking. Looks like the issue is that people don't know how to update all of this.

To you people waiting for Six Updater: Almost certain it doesn't do Battleye Updates.

What issues are you having?

Chinner - Red Xs mean your version doesn't match. Did you get your Battleye updated?

I have the 94997 beta version and the up to date DayZ mods, my problem is with BattleEye, I downloaded the v1.61.94945 version not the client and server version, and I though I installed it to the correct place, but when I try to join I get a initialization error.

ZenVolta

There is the Release Candidate (2) which has Lite builds of the DLC to come.

There is the beta MP compatible that lacks the Lite build data.

For DayZ you need only the beta.

If you want to see how the new Maps look (very lite, no textures...) take the RC (only for the brave).

I have only the beta because that is all I need for the moment.

When the DLC is released it will be accompanied by a new official Game Build the famous 1.6.1.

Well, thats more or less how it works...

New maps? The DLC they are talking about is Army of Czech republic and what ever they are doing the new update will have a "lite" build for those that dont buy the DLC. At this point I dont even know if DayZ is going to be using anything from the DLC.

Bleh, all I wanted was some new skins, weapons, and helicopters. Why so much trouble =/

I have the 94997 beta version and the up to date DayZ mods, my problem is with BattleEye, I downloaded the v1.61.94945 version not the client and server version, and I though I installed it to the correct place, but when I try to join I get a initialization error.

Update Battleye in your ArmA2 and OA folders. Also check to see if there's a Battleye Folder in the beta folder. Make sure to download both the client and server version for 1.61.94945+.

Edit: Make sure you're downloading the DLLs. If you're grabbing the updater from the DayZ forums, it contains old DLLs and won't get you up to date.

TommyT

We rolled up to a hospital and upon breaking the glass for the first time there was no loot. Once we all left building and ran away for a bit loot spawned. So if you have that problem leave the building and come back.

Woo-Fu

Banned

I went to a server with 4 other people on it, spawned in about 200m from one of the northern airstrip's barracks. Was in the barracks looking for loot when 3 of the other 4 players on the server ran past the window.

Long story short, the risk is still there if you're at the nw airstrip or stary sobor, IMHO, unless you're the only one on the server. Matter of fact, as soon as I snag a pair of NVGs I'm going to start camping the barracks on low pop servers and killing the people who jump server just for a barracks run. Should be fun. I expect more people to do it, making it a much less effective/safe way of acquiring that tier of loot. Downside is that I'll have to change my name after each group otherwise I'll get countered pretty easy.

You get to a certain point in the gear curve where the only things---other than vehicles which can be easily found with little to no risk---you're interested in are at the barracks and/or helicopter crash sites. One of these is trivially easy to find on each server, one isn't. As long as that is the case server hopping will be popular for as long as it is possible.

Come on Six Updater I want to play on the gaf server.
LLShC.gif

Woo-Fu

Banned
On the battleye problems---I went through all of this already---there are some things to remember.

1. Just copying in the dlls might not work, even if you do get them all in the right spots. There is a manifest generated in the bottom level arma2 and arma2oa directories called checkFileList.lst if this doesn't match properly it can/will cause OA to crash to desktop during the server join process.

2. Instead of copying in the dlls grab an updated version of Setup_BattlEyeARMA2OA.exe and run it. It puts the DLLs everywhere they need to be and creates a proper checkFileList.lst. I'm trying to find the link I used for this. Kind of hard when google returns broken links for most dayz forum posts.

3. Six Launcher caused me more problems than it solved. I cleared out the mod, cleared out battleye, redid it all manually and now just run it from a desktop icon and use Arma2's browser---which is better than Six Launcher's browser anyway.

4. I highly recommend only playing on servers running the exact same beta version. There is some leeway built in as far as outdated server code goes but the only way I can connect without issue every time---including avoiding the dreaded loading black screen hang---is to play on exactly the same version.

Lastly, if you have a modern router that isn't a piece of crap I highly recommend www.dayzcommander.com it is a pretty slick browser that is fast and has a much nicer interface than the other options. It will make older crap routers shit the bed and/or some AV programs bluescreen though as he doesn't stagger the connections during a server refresh. I see more and more complaints about this in the google groups for the app, I expect he'll fix it at some point. One bonus is that it is good with arma versioning and will grab and install the latest beta for you if you tell it to.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Have the people using the farming method tried using the full pack bug to make it go quicker? At one point if you put anything into a full pack it would just disappear. If that is still the case you don't really need to bother with piles, just stuff it into an already full pack.

Irish

I like having the supplies around. Good to have lots of ammunition and weaponry/food/water/medical supplies handy when you need them. Plus I keep my backpack off for easy group identification.

Top Bottom