• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What competitive sport has given you the best rush from 'destroying' your opponent?

Strictly

This is for non-esports - otherwise its just going to be boring in terms of answers.

For me, it has to be Kart-racing. The build up, then execution. From chasing down your opponent, lap after lap, to finally nailing them with a perfect overtake. So satisfying. Especially if you're able to pull away and leave them in your dust.

kunonabi

Its not really destroying but i dont think there is any better feeling of satisfaction than landing a throw in Judo.

LionPride

Banned
Seeing as how my skinny ass wasn't tackling anyone the year I played Rugby, it has to be doin a nice ass headfake on someone and jukin them the fuck out

Hopeford

Epee fencing, for sure. 80% of the early game is feeling out your opponent, getting a read for their favourite moves, learning their moveset, measuring their speed, reaction time, etc, all while not committing to showing your own hand too early. Mindgames and more mindgames.

Then you reach Round 3. 3 minutes on the timer. Score is about 7-8. Then you put everything you learned to good use, kick your skills into overdrive, and parry the shit out of your opponent's moves because you now understand his timing. After the grueling start, pushing past to 15-11 or so is the most satisfying feeling ever.

(I know that sounds like describing a fighting game. Epee fencing is basically the same as a fighting game, meta wise haha)

Anth0ny

jqQqaUG.gif

Cat Party

It doesn't matter who you are playing with/against. When you crack off a monster hit past the outfielders, you feel like Barry Bonds.

I ran over a dude who ran in front of me in the opening rush of a paintball match once.

Honest answer though rejecting people in basketball. I don't mean a block I mean getting up there on those shots nobody expect you to and swatting the ball out of the court. Always felt damn good.

Anno

Golf. It's such a mental sport, and I like knowing that I am destroying my opponent mentally. Knowing each of your league competitors' mental weaknesses and exploiting them. Once the clubs start flying and you stripe another down the center of the fairway you feel on top of the world.

New002

Would have to be paintball for me.

Any time you're using a pump and make a perfect snapshot to take out someone with an Electro.

Olympic, or in my case high school wrestling gave you a rush in defeating your opponent. I remember doing stuff like the fireman and the two leg takedowns when I was younger and basically slamming them into the mat. Just being in a match when you've learned a good amount and submitting them to the floor was one of the few experiences I treasure from high school.

Carnby

That feeling you get when landing a hole-in-one in a competitive game of frolf...

That's Golf + Frisbee for the uninitiated.

pr0cs

Jiu jitsu
When you have someone's game figured out you can see their soul leave their body when they realize they made a huge mistake in taking the match.
Even more delicious when they were cocky going into the match

louiedog

My small rural school basketball team played the even smaller rural religious school and won like 72-8. By the third quarter we had our third string playing positions they didn't even know and the other team still didn't score in the second half.

It felt awful and no one was happy about it.

Sabre fencing.

Few things more satisfying than hitting a parry directly off the line, or a skyhook on an advancing opponent. Seeing what the opponent wants and catching them off guard is also godlike.

Hopeford

Sabre fencing.

Few things more satisfying than hitting a parry directly off the line, or a skyhook on an advancing opponent. Seeing what the opponent wants and catching them off guard is also godlike.

Your screams terrify me. Roommate and girlfriend both do sabre so I when I go watch their tournaments it's like, holy shit the longer the tournament goes the more impressive sabre screams get haha.

...I do scream in epee during later rounds too, admittedly.

Your screams terrify me. Roommate and girlfriend both do sabre so I when I go watch their tournaments it's like, holy shit the longer the tournament goes the more impressive sabre screams get haha.

...I do scream in epee during later rounds too, admittedly.

Hahaha, 50% hype 50% convincing the ref. We have subjectivity in calls lol

Personally, I only yell for hype stuff :p

🏈/🏀

I feel it as u get older, but there's nothing like knocking a fool down with a hard ass tackle/dunk..anyone says otherwise is a liar..

ag-my001

I always enjoyed playing goalie in soccer or hockey. That feeling when your opponent thinks they have an open shot, then you suddenly cut off their angle predicting their move.

Or just straight catching the slap shot.

Hopeford

Hahaha, 50% hype 50% convincing the ref. We have subjectivity in calls lol

Personally, I only yell for hype stuff :p

It is admittedly very hype haha. Roommate tends to morph into a Dragonball character in later rounds.

I only scream like, when I'm coming back from behind and need to break my opponent's pace a little. There are times I want to scream, but I can't because I'm still too tense. Like winning with a toe touch at 14-14, it feels like it warrants a yell but I just collapse on the floor like "Yup. I'm done. I survived. Holy hell."

Mathieran

Banned
This wasn't really a destroy moment so to speak but my best moment of the one year I played football in high school involved me landing the perfect tackle on a kick return. It helped that I was the last person before he would have gotten a break away.

Probably the only good play I had that whole year other than a couple sacks.

Joe T.

Hockey. A nice, clean, bone-crunching body check is a really satisfying feeling, same as a blistering slap shot that finds its way past a goalie.

WX3

The best rush I experienced was when I was hitting during a baseball game back in the mid-nineties against a rival team from another town. During my at bat, I saw four pitches. The first was right down the middle and I took it for strike one. The next two were both brush back pitches as I crowd the plate regularly. The third pitch actually nearly plunked my left arm and I went to the ground avoiding it. Now I am kind of nervous. Two in a row that nearly hit me and the guy threw some heat! The next pitch was a hanging curve that had I been pitching would have started it over the center then let it drop out of the zone hoping that the previous pitches would force a swing. This guy however, tossed his curve starting very inside (again) but I could see it was a breaking ball by the rotation and I laid back and waited for it to curve into the zone. And then I smoked it! This fucking ball shot out of the park and bounced across the road landing in the yard of a house down the street. The fence was at 410 dead center, and this ball landed around 25-30 foot beyond that, basically crushed!

It was the only home run I hit on a regulation sized (major league spec) diamond in the ten years and nearly a thousand or more at bats I took! After growing old and having my own kids, I wound up living in the town where this happened and of course took my boys to see the spot where the old mans one time jack landed. The boys are 21 and 18 now, and I still bring that hit up when we go check out a game there.

I have a ton a baseball stories from little league because I was a pitching and hitting beast at that age, but this one hit always stands out.

Top Bottom