• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kyrie Irving wants to be traded from the Cavs LeBron blindsided

Have you seen him when LeBron is out of the game and he tries to run the offense? It's garbage.

No lies detected.

If only he were willing to play SG. Clearly the role that fits his style.

Then again, he's got his ring, so maybe he just wants to wild the fuck out like Russ for awhile. Seems to be his true M.O.

Using per 36 numbers for a guy who is a vet, in his prime, and whose minutes are steadily decreasing because he's simply not that good, is an incredibly silly and misinformed way to analyze players.

So now he's a salary dump again? Which is if? Or are you just switching back and forth however it suits your narrative and supports your trash ass trade proposal?

Please fam, have some chill. You're scorching my retinas with these flames.

jdstorm

Banned
Monroe can't move, defensively, at all

Thats irrelevant if you can score more with him on the court.

Last season some of the leagues best shooters shot >66.67% from 3 in almost 20 games. Thats almost 20 games a year where guys were shooting better from 3 then if they made 100% on open layups.

Interior defense is staring to not matter in the NBA. Why Monroe is useful is because he is a rebounder who can pass. Rebounding is a better defensive skill then defense in this new NBA and Monroe is good at rebounding and getting the ball to openshooters or guys leaking out in transition.

Thats useful.

Teams don't trade Anthony Davis. They don't trade Kobe. They don't trade MJ, Hakeem, LeBron, etc. Players like Giannis and KAT is super good but probably not *quite* on that "don't ever call" list just yet but will likely be soon.

KAT and Giannis are pretty much effectively untradable already.

Would take a king's ransom style offer to make their teams even consider a trade and they probably still say no.

Would the Knicks trade Porzingis? I think he was critical of the Knicks last season too, tho. And the Knicks always make uh....crazy decisions.

Phil was fielding trade offers, but I don't think Scott Perry and Steve Mills would trade him for anything less than like.... Russell or KAT or another top 10 player.

If they get wind that Porzingis would play out his Qualifying Offer in 2 years and bounce out of New York, then obviously you have to try to trade him eventually. That is super unlikely though.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
PG for the Cavs doesn't need to be a ballhandler since they have Lebron mostly running the offense. That means you can place almost any wing next to Lebron.
See this is what I'm saying. How can you not at least try to trade Lebron?! Unless they can try to trade rape someone for Kyrie, but do you really want to lose Kyrie and Lebron in less than a year and have nothing to show for it?

Last season some of the leagues best shooters shot >66.67% from 3 in almost 20 games. Thats almost 20 games a year where guys were shooting better from 3 then if they made 100% on open layups.

Interior defense is staring to not matter in the NBA. Why Monroe is useful is because he is a rebounder who can pass. Rebounding is a better defensive skill then defense in this new NBA and Monroe is good at rebounding and getting the ball to openshooters or guys leaking out in transition.

Thats useful.

What the fuck am I reading?

Have you seen him when LeBron is out of the game and he tries to run the offense? It's garbage.

Here's what you have to hope for

You have to hope Kyrie has learned enough from LeBron and that with a system in place, and with a good coach in place, he'll be better over a full 82 than what minutes without LeBron would suggest. But this is something you hope to see without the guarantee of it.

I'd like Kyrie in San Antonio because of the pieces that are there and the coach. That could work. But then, what could San Antonio even give up that Cleveland would want.

See this is what I'm saying. How can you not at least try to trade Lebron?! Unless they can try to trade rape someone for Kyrie, but do you really want to lose Kyrie and Lebron in less than a year and have nothing to show for it?
LeBron has a no trade clause

jdstorm

Banned

Lebron has a no trade clause and without Lebron you wont win the east. Its a lose/lose scenario. Best case for Cleveland is that they win another ring before Lebron leaves.

yuraya

giphy.gif

Nafai1123

Banned
Are we sure he wouldn't waive it to help his hometown team?

I just wonder if Kyrie wants to leave if he knows he can be top dog in Cleveland. You're already lucky to get anything at all when Lebron leaves, so this gives you cover to unload him rather than get nothing at all. Plus you're showing Kyrie your commitment to him.

I mean, would Lebron go to NY? Philly? Boston?!

I'm just playing with trades here but if you're Boston, do you trade Tatum and the Brooklyn pick for Lebron? Does Isaiah, Lebron, Betrayward and Horford fare better than against the Dubs than Cleveland did last year?

I rambling. I need to go ly dow

I don't think the fans will see giving up a pretty much guaranteed Finals appearance next year as a good thing, nor do I think any team is going to give up too much for Lebron for one year. He's going wherever he wants next year regardless.

Jarate

Banned

Interior defense is staring to not matter in the NBA.
Why Monroe is useful is because he is a rebounder who can pass. Rebounding is a better defensive skill then defense in this new NBA and Monroe is good at rebounding and getting the ball to openshooters or guys leaking out in transition.

Thats useful.

Ignore his Greg Monroe takes, this is the worst one ever

I've had some bad takes befores, but I ain't ever had one this bad

qcf x2

Throwing stuff at the wall here:

to Knicks for Melo/Porzingis

or...

to Pelicans for Boogie and a pick (sent to another team for a starting level player)

or...

Suns for Bledsoe, Chandler and one of their project PFs

I think Suns is most likely but who really knows...

Jarate

Banned
Why would Melo waive his no trade to go to Cleveland over Houston if he knows Bron is gone after a year?

Lebron is capable of almost single handedly beating any team in the league, a freak accident occurs to the Warriors and the Cavs have a pretty good shot of winning the title

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Why would Melo waive his no trade to go to Cleveland over Houston if he knows Bron is gone after a year?
Because I posted in this thread for that to happen, so the forces of the universe are set in motion now. SORRY GUYS BUT NOTHING LEFT TO SEE HERE!

Also, fun trade: Ky and Thompson for Jrue and Boogie? That's from a friend. Clearly not as brilliant as my willing Lebron to waive his no trade clause.

Jarate

Banned
how are you so sure bron is gone?
If you were Lebron, would you stay in that dumpster fire of an organization? Especially now that you lost your #2 guy.

Lebron is also thinking about his future. He's apparently a good actor, and wants to go to a bigger market then Cleveland. Might wanna go to LA so he can act as well

KAT and Giannis are pretty much effectively untradable already.

Would take a king's ransom style offer to make their teams even consider a trade and they probably still say no.

I agree, but the fact that a king's ransom could be tendered was sort of my point.

Like, there was no realistic trade in the league that could have been made to pry players like LeBron, Kobe, AD, KD, MJ etc from their teams during their reigns. Those players only leave because they want to (Shaq, LeBron, Durant come to mind); not because they're asked to leave or because someone offered a player better than them at the position, you know?

Example: Anthony Davis for KAT. New Orleans clearly says no. Minn *clearly* says yes. Or, I would think they would...and with little delay.

KAT and Giannias are close to that level though, but aren't there just yet. Only very slightly below that tier. Give them another year or two.

I have to think he'd waive it if it's already in his mind to leave next year.

Only if it's to a city he wouldn't mind playing for. I'm sure he wouldn't want to leave the Cavs fans empty handed again, but he's certainly under no obligation to go somewhere he doesn't want to be in order to do so. Fuck all that.

True. I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt. I think it's important that they either keep Frank or keep a top 3 protected pick and draft someone like doncic.

Jarate

Banned
Giannis and KAT might be the two most valuable assets in the league right now. The only other close assets would be a always healthy Embiid, and maybe Lebron.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Who else is offering better?

Monroe is a borderline allstar PF/C who can replace Love and keep Cleveland competitive this season while expiring at the end of the season to reduce Clevelands sallary and give them flexibility moving forward without Lebron. Delly is a beloved folk hero and competant starting PG and those picks will help Cleveland rebuild quickly either via trade or by helping them build depth with the draft.

Its not a great offer, but of you want to be competitive this season and to blow it up next offseason there are worse options. Especially when you factor in what you can recieve in a Kevin Love trade.

Love + Others could potentially get you CJ McCullom from Portland who is a perfectly good Kyrie replacement. So in practice you turn Love and Kyrie into McCollum, Monroe a bunch of well fitting role players and some future picks.

Thats a pretty good set of trades and after lebron and Monroe leave you are firmly under the Sallary cap and will have the flexibility to rebuild around McCollum at PG.

Portland isn't giving up CJ for Love. Not a chance.

also you Milwaukee trade is garbage.

Most of these teams they listed can't make an offer worth pursuing. The Knicks have one asset worth a shit, that's Porzingis. Melo isn't worth it for Kyrie, as they could probably get Melo for FAR FAR less than that.

I could see Minny giving up Wiggins maybe.. but not KAT. Otherwise they gave up a half decent haul for Butler as is.. there's not much left the Cavs would want.

The Cavs don't want LA, not for Irving.. and the Spurs got nothing of value to give up, so it'd require a 3rd team.

Miami has the assets to make something of value.. take Dragic and a young athletic Winslow (who can't shoot a lick sadly) or Tyler Johnson.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Teams don't trade Anthony Davis. They don't trade Kobe. They don't trade MJ, Hakeem, LeBron, etc. Players like Giannis and KAT is super good but probably not *quite* on that "don't ever call" list just yet but will likely be soon.

Simply put: some players are for all intents and purposes untradeable. I would think you only pick up the phone to entertain a trade if one of the other players on that very short list of elites is being dangled and are at a similar stage of their careers.

The only person on Nola's starting front court that would ever move by way of trade to another team would be Boogie. AD is there as long as he wants to be there, assuming good health.

I'd send them both AND try to upsell LeBron on how much he'd enjoy 24-7 Jazz access to make that deal work.

Okay not really but AD is objectively the future. Anything they could ask for within reason would be theirs if they for some ungodly reason decided to move him.

Kat and giannis are 1000% on that list.

watershed

Banned
Staying with the Cavs basically ensures an annual trip to the NBA finals but the organization is poorly run and the team lacks a system. Where does Kyrie want to go?

Pardon the ignorance, but why is everybody so sure that Bron is leaving next year? What did I miss?

If for no other reason than because his contract ends next year and he's not happy about some of the front office decisions. And that he likes to troll people on Twitter sometimes. Nobody knows what the fuck LBJ is going to do except LBJ and his people.

As always, he will do what's best for him and his family. As it should be. That's the kind of agency the NBAPA has fought for for decades.

Kat and giannis are 1000% on that list.

OK...

...but for the record Giannis will be traded eventually (pretty sure by request), and I stand by Minny trading him for AD if they could. But since it's really just that random AD scenario, I agree they're both on the list.

But they most certainly get more solidified on that list as time goes along, barring any lingering health issues.

You just worsened the deal.

but they get a Kardashian in that deal. Having a Kardashian at your games is a moral victory for your team every single night. How many teams win before the games even start? Kardashian teams get that!

Cheebo

Banned
Over his career in the NBA Greg Monroe averages 14.1/8.7/2.3 a game

Last season the list of NBA players that averaged more then or equal to 14/8.7/2 was Westbrook, Davis, Cousins, Towns, Giannis, Jokic and Vucevic.

Monroe while somewhat of a defensive liability is an incredibly talented player and would be a good fit at C for the cavs in place of love.

Edit: accidentially used career numbers over last seasons numbers. Either way the point still feels valid.

Edit 2: just plugged in Monroe's per 36 numbers from last season (18/10/3) the list of players includes 6 people. Westbrook, Embiid, Cousins, Jokic and Vucevic.
I have been following the NBA obsessively for over 20 years, in that time I have posted and read more NBA forums/communities in that time than I care to admit.

In all those years I have never in my entire life seen someone even close to having as godawful factually incorrect basketball takes as your posts in this thread. I never imagine it was humanly possible to spew such complete nonsense as this. Wow.

but they get a Kardashian in that deal. Having a Kardashian at your games is a moral victory for your team every single night. How many teams win before the games even start? Kardashian teams get that!

Lamar Odom and Reggie Bush were sacrificed at the Altar Of K.

Their deaths must not be in vain.

mjp2417

Banned
Pardon the ignorance, but why is everybody so sure that Bron is leaving next year? What did I miss?

There were reports that LeBron and especially Mrs. LeBron wanted to go to LA next year and that was before the Cavs front office imploded, LeBron started passively aggressively tweeting about Dan Gilbert, and Kyrie requested to be traded. The writing is on the wall in Cleveland.

Why would Bron want to stay on a Kyrie-less Cavs?

Presumably, Kyrie would be replaced by sufficient talent. Depends on who it is and how well they play together, of course.

Lamar Odom and Reggie Bush were sacrificed at the Altar Of K.

Their deaths must not be in vain.

No no see that was all a big misunderstanding see check this out...

>___>

<___<

*throws Thompson into MSG and runs*

jdstorm

Banned
Ignore his Greg Monroe takes, this is the worst one ever

I've had some bad takes befores, but I ain't ever had one this bad

Greg Monroe gave up 58% on FGs attempted within 10ft of the basket last season. Thats equivalent to 1.16 points per shot and if that was the only shot ever attempted it would be a 116DRTG.

Last season the Warriors had a 117 ORTG on the season. And the best teams had lineups that were in the 130. Based on last seasons numbers of lineups that played 100+ minutes, Toronto, Portland, Cleveland, Goldenstate and Houston all would have been able to put lineups on the floor that would have had a +10NRTG while maintaining a 116DRTG.

So having Monroe defend the paint and rebound is still able to produce acceptible lineups.

Top Bottom