• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser |OT| Loyal bands and murderous hands

sensui-tomo

I highly doubt they would nerf it where it takes me like 50-100 swings to defeat one of the low-tier mobs and the barrier doesn't charge at all with swings because I'm doing no damage whatsoever.

If they did they can suck it. I don't care if the build was WAY too OP the solution isn't to completely make them unplayable. What the fuck am I supposed to do with this build now this late game?

edit: wait no. Just fought some qunari. Maybe those ghosts were just ridiculously OP I was able to fight these guys just fine.

One of the first updates that added changes to the game had the knight enchanter class nerfed, hell i think they made the sword swing do almost nothing for the barrier spell,.
"Fix to Spirit Blade so it no longer triggers combos." was the killer patch in patch 2

It went from 300% damage to 150% damage/barrier I think (I play a KE). Usually the DLCs have even their low tier enemies have a lot of HP/more enemies are immune to the KE spirit blade. If you play on PC there's a mod on nexus that restores the specs to pre-patch.

One of the first updates that added changes to the game had the knight enchanter class nerfed, hell i think they made the sword swing do almost nothing for the barrier spell,.
"Fix to Spirit Blade so it no longer triggers combos." was the killer patch in patch 2

well fuck. Yeah I just came up against a bigger group of enemies and shit got hard. You know if you're going to nerf a class this bad then at the very least give me a respec potion as I'm basically useless now. Barrier randomly decides to not charge up at points so it's not like I can be a walking tank anymore either.

Well time to play on easy since I'm on ps4.

Neoweee

So the patches were kind to the game? I Platinumed the game in the first month and sold it for a few dollars less than I bought it (PS4). Just bought the PC version with Trespasser. Looking forward to going through this again.

Is there a list of the Challenge Modes somewhere? Are any ones particularly good?

well fuck. Yeah I just came up against a bigger group of enemies and shit got hard. You know if you're going to nerf a class this bad then at the very least give me a respec potion as I'm basically useless now. Barrier randomly decides to not charge up at points so it's not like I can be a walking tank anymore either.

Well time to play on easy since I'm on ps4.

You can buy the respec amulets from quite a few vendors, as far as I recall.

Linkyn

Knight Enchanter got nerfed hard in the last patch.

It was OP, but I honestly fail to see the point of nerfing specs for single player.

All the botched save imports BioWare has done through the years really makes me wish they'd at least make it easy to see in game what my choices were up to that point in the world. Even something like the Witcher 3's journal would work where you can tell what decisions you made by reading the journal entries. But with DAI, it just gives check boxes for completed missions with no hint as to what you did.

This is one of the things I really liked about the quest journal in Oblivion, too. It felt more like you were reading an ongoing tale of your exploits, rather than simply your next objective with no context or information about how you got where you are.

Ok, so I have the physical copy of PC version.
How big is the download size should I expect to update the game to the latest patch?

Squire

Banned
I finished it a few hours ago.

Yeah, I really thought it was phenomenal. It felt epic and paced like the campaign missions, the character moments were good (some great), and the lore is further re-contextualized. It's an awesome set-up for DA4.

For me
I told Solas we would stop him and then I disbanded the Inquisition. All good things must come to an end. It just added to the sense of finality for me. I'm really happy with my choices and what follows after.

For DA4
I'm thinking you'll work for the Inquisitor and this new cabal as a spy in Tevinter. I think the game is going to mostly revolve around espionage and conspiracy, which is pretty natural route to go given the games are already very politically driven.

About the credits:
Wow, I loved that. I love how they know. Cassandra was such a phenomenal character in this game. Just stellar through and through. My Inquisitors best friend for sure.

Miranda Raoson really deserves credit for doing that whole bit in character, too. Amazing performance.

Excellent conclusion. I can't believe it's over. Really bittersweet.

diaspora

What happens if you didn't banish a certain group in inquisition? I did and
during the original trial thing they were all saying how I fucked up in banishing the wardens but the game tells you they could get corrupted at any moment
Which is silly if I'm being judged for being cautious lol

They're making that argument because that's in part how Ferelden got so badly fucked in the 5th blight.

Neoweee

Okay, here goes.

Nightmare
Even Ground
Walk Softly
Rest Easy
Take it Slow
Fair-Weather Friends
Grizzly End

Male Qunari Rogue, going for Dorian

SerRodrik

Just finished it. They did really well with the story and the epilogue, and the music was just phenomenal. I still have some issues with the gameplay and control of Inquisition, but overall it was an excellent DLC.

I was originally thinking about replaying the entire game to romance Solas, and then taking that save into Trespasser. In the end I decided I didn't have the patience for it, but I kind of wish I had gone through with it. I'd love to see how that affects the final conversation with him. Cass was good too though.

I was a little surprised how much I liked the inquisitor at the end. I never thought I was that attached to him, but I really liked his final scenes when he was shutting down the inquisition and planning what to do next with his advisors.

Way better ending than the actual ending of the main game.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So does this add another open world zone like Hakkon or is it more linear like Descent?

Sou Da

Can anyone assure me that this DLC had no crazy difficulty spikes like the last boss of The Descent?

Not really, there's one room that gets a little cray but that's it.

I really liked the last boss too, he had a fun pattern and design.
Shame the combat mechanics in this one are so terrible though.

BouncyFrag

This looks good. Time to dive back into Dragon Age. I've already played as a Qunari mage and am looking for class recommendations that are the most fun.

diaspora

Damn (end game spoiler question) what happens if you tell
Solas that you'll kill him
? I couldn't do it. He ma bro

IIRC he says "I know". TBH I can't imagine choosing anything else. Dude gave his orb to a darkspawn and is going full-Architect on us. I don't think anyone named Pride is going to be swayed by me.

SerRodrik

Damn (end game spoiler question) what happens if you tell
Solas that you'll kill him
? I couldn't do it. He ma bro

I know what you mean. For someone who's sort of threatening to kill everyone in modern Thedas, he's really fun to talk to and hang out with. I can't stay mad at him!

Ah so the whole point of this DLC is to explain why
there will be no inquisition in the next game

What a lazy cop out. Yes I know there are other options but
giving you the choice to disband or not leaves a lot of it seeming like it'll be the usual Bioware "we have to make this unimportant because we can't write that far ahead" crap.
Also I hope Hawke gets some screentime in the next one too. Though I doubt it because of reasons mentioned above.

Beat the game. You know it was a decent epilogue even if the opposing forces felt largely unneeded.

Some thoughts and choices:

- Chose to capture the Inquisition guard. I knew they were doing it out of a reason, but I had to keep face with the people who already started to hate me.
- Talked with Solas, was friendly and understanding the whole time. Told him at the end that I'd find a way so he wouldn't have to destroy the world, he said he'd love to be proven wrong again. Tragic villain
- Disbanded the inquisition with the sad/emotional speech. My friends then left their separate ways, but not before ma waifu Cass came back to hold my only hand.
- The epilogue scenes ala DAO ending were nice. Basically everybody left their own way waiting for their friends to need them and if so they'd come back. Cass and Inquisitor met up when they could with how busy they were, Dorian (ma bro of bros) became a badass magister and constantly communicated with the inquisitor via the crystal as true bros.
- At the end the cutscene with leliana, cass, the gnome scout and the inquisitor discussing plans was great. Sure our efforts won't be as strong but we won't be corrupted, and I'd rather keep my closest friends instead of a whole corruptible army.
- The credits with Cass narrating the book was adorable and a great way to make the boring credits more bearable

Finally some speculation on the next game
Looks like the next title will take place in Tevinter (as most speculated) and will star somebody that will work alongside the Inquisition as their secret agent/ally. Cool. Hopefully not a god/jesus figure, this game has enough of those. I'd be fine being a part of the crucial plan but not the savior of humanity

IIRC he says "I know". TBH I can't imagine choosing anything else. Dude gave his orb to a darkspawn and is going full-Architect on us. I don't think anyone named Pride is going to be swayed by me.

I know what you mean. For someone who's sort of threatening to kill everyone in modern Thedas, he's really fun to talk to and hang out with. I can't stay mad at him!

He isn't doing it out of spite. He's doing it for his people since he had destroyed their world previously. I can't stay mad at him when he takes NO joy in doing what he has to do, it's a textbook tragic villain and I love those. Plus I told him I'd try to stop him and find a way that didn't require destroying a whole world. He was hopeful

giving you the choice to disband or not leaves a lot of it seeming like it'll be the usual Bioware "we have to make this unimportant because we can't write that far ahead" crap.
Also I hope Hawke gets some screentime in the next one too. Though I doubt it because of reasons mentioned above.

Why would it be a sure thing?
There's an option to keep the Inquisition intact, but you're likely to have spies and corruption among your ranks.
The whole point of the DLC was to set up the sequel
you have to stop Solas via either murder or finding an alternative, and it'll take place in Tevinter. I don't know what they say if you keep the Inquisition but if you don't you'll have a secret agent in Tevinter which will likely be the protagonist of the next game. The game was simply giving itself a free pass as to explaining why the Inquisition won't be there prominently, and it largely deals with it being a new continent

As to Hawke, I'd love it but it's doubtful he'll have a prominent part.
He's either dead or with the Wardens
which don't really have a major role anymore in the universe. If he does appear i'd imagine it'd be for something minor
Varric isn't likely to appear again considering he's now leading his city, so that means Hawke is even less likely

I'm trying to think who could be a good returning character/party member. All I can think of
The Red Jennys and the elf girl. Since they're still out fighting the good fight. Maybe even Iron Bull

diaspora

He isn't doing it out of spite. He's doing it for his people since he had destroyed their world previously. I can't stay mad at him when he takes NO joy in doing what he has to do, it's a textbook tragic villain and I love those. Plus I told him I'd try to stop him and find a way that didn't require destroying a whole world. He was hopeful
So... so was the Architect. The Architect is remorseful that people would have to die if he infects everyone with the blight but it would mean that his people- the Darkspawn get to free themselves of the old gods (maybe).
Solas destroyed the elves trying to save them, now he plans on destroying everyone else to save them. I befriended the shit out of him which is probably why I so badly want him dead.

SerRodrik

Yeah, I took the "I will redeem you," route because A) I really like him, and B) he's not doing it out of malice, like you said. It was a good moment. I'm not saying it was a smart decision on my part, but even with the severity of his plans, I can't really bring myself to be mad at him, especially when he already seems depressed about it. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of him in the next game.

Squire

Banned

They're going to Tevinter. Whether you leave the inquisition standing or not. I really think it has far more to do with the location change. With the way Tevinter is, if the next game accounts for your choices, the inquisition could very much exist in the background of that story. But it'd be the background. They're not going to go traipsing around Tevinter because they can't.

As to Hawke, I'd love it but it's doubtful he'll have a prominent part.
He's either dead or with the Wardens
which don't really have a major role anymore in the universe. If he does appear i'd imagine it'd be for something minor
Varric isn't likely to appear again considering he's now leading his city, so that means Hawke is even less likely

I'm trying to think who could be a good returning character/party member. All I can think of
The Red Jennys and the elf girl. Since they're still out fighting the good fight. Maybe even Iron Bull

In my epilogue at least, Hawke actually helps Varric maintain Kirkwall.

They're going to Tevinter. Whether you leave the inquisition standing or not. I really think it has far more to do with the location change. With the way Tevinter is, if the next game accounts for your choices, the inquisition could very much exist in the background of that story. But it'd be the background. They're not going to go traipsing around Tevinter because they can't.

In my epilogue at least, Hawke actually helps Varric maintain Kirkwall.

Huh. Didn't even consider that an option, don't know what you'd need to do to have that one
Save Hawke, keep the grey wardens?

Regardless I guess that's another reason in a list as to why Hawke won't likely appear

jonjonaug

End spoilers:
I took the "I will redeem you" route because I felt that was more in character for the character I had built up. But uh fuck Solas. "I'm either going to kill you and everyone you care about or do something that makes it likely that you and everyone you care about are going to die or suffer or something vague" wow fuck you too buddy.

I like playing with different personalities across the Dragon Age games. My style of protagonist in Dragon Age 4 may be just a straight up no nonsense fellow who doesn't want to take any of Solas' bullshit.

That was a tidy piece of DLC, although I wish that face time with companions was handled more organically. Felt like a journo on a press junket, going up to each a member (statically assembled within mere paces of each other for my convenience), getting a few canned words in before moving on to the next one.

Clicking on predetermine spots to initiate conversations with your party members
while jumping in and out of Eluvians
also struck me as perfunctory. Why not have the speech trigger automatically as you stroll through the area? And either Josephine is the most skilled diplomat ever at dissimulation or Bioware's animators couldn't be arsed:
she doesn't bat an eyelid at the Inquisitor's missing appendage.

Finally, not feeling at all chipper about the new achievements that basically necessitate another play-through either. Still, the appearance of
Solas
mitigates these shortcomings.

I do hope we get to play as the Inquisitor in a sequel. The Inquisitor's relationship with Solas would make for much more dramatic fare than if some newbie took center stage. Besides, don't know if I have it in me to start all over again and create yet another messiah for the follow-up.

So, does it hold decent value? I kinda skipped the other two dlc, but seeing as this is a proper epilogue story I am actually inclined to get it. 15 euros for about 4-5 hours does seem a bit pricey if you compare it to the Witcher 3 DLC which is less I believe for 10 hours.

So, does it hold decent value? I kinda skipped the other two dlc, but seeing as this is a proper epilogue story I am actually inclined to get it. 15 euros for about 4-5 hours does seem a bit pricey if you compare it to the Witcher 3 DLC which is less I believe for 10 hours.

Yup, this one is definitely worth it - strong narrative/story, all-round great character writing and perfect closure material + set up for DA4. Also you can get it for like 6 euros if you're on PC and buy from Mexican Origin (though granted you might not be on PC/want to go down that route).

Also, for people who've played the dlc,
do any other Josie-mancers feel shortchanged? No marriage, and the 'romance' scene sucked. I'm totally doing another playthrough romancing Sera, as she really grew on me and was especially mature and thoughtful to my elf Inquisitor by the time of the dlc.

Kirie

Yeah I agree!
I never expected the Inquisitor to make a return as a protag in DA4, like you said, the quote at the end made that pretty clear on top of everything the devs said. A cameo situation like Hawke, sure. His/her story may be over, but I feel like they just set things up so well for them to be involved even a little bit as an advisor whether it be off screen or on screen, whatever. The whole game playing as a DA4 protag to get close enough to Solas/dismantle his network then at the very end when it comes down to killing or saving him the Inquisitor gets featured in that mission. I would love it if they pulled that off or something in the same vein. Plus, I think the Inquisitor has less of a polarizing personality than say Hawke and definitely your Warden. Perhaps that would make it easier to include them since there's less need to account for huge personality differences. But who knows? I don't expect anything ever until I see it in front of my eyes lol. I just think putting that opportunity to waste would be a shame considering how well it's set up.

Yeah, I completely agree. I mean honestly I would love to play the Inquisitor again, especially after the events of Tresspasser, but I just don't think they'll do it unfortunately. Like you said though, best to wait until we actually know for certain because they could end up changing their minds completely. People on various forums I visit seem way more open to having the Inquisitor as DA4's continuing protag, so who knows :D

I do think they'll play a key role in the next game, especially since there's some choices like drinking from the well that we haven't really seen consequences for yet (maybe we won't until games further down the line, either). With the Solas plotline, I just hope that if they do get relegated as a mentor or side character, that for the "showdown" or whatever with Solas that they are a major part of it and whatever choices surround it. They have a personal investment in that situation whether they were lovers, friends or an enemy of him. Having that cast aside would be horrible.

It just feels so left open if you romanced Solas, it feels like the Inquisitor should be in the forefront because of their history.

Yup, I totally agree. Unfortunately the pool of people that romanced him is probably pretty small because of how gated he is, so who knows how it'll affect the future choices in the matter :( I don't think they are technically broken up by the end though since you have the choice on whether to break it off during the final confrontation, so I guess we'll just have to see how or if that'll factor in the future.

I have to say the music in the DLC was phenomenal. This song in particular was my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhIO6947bbM&feature=youtu.be

Yeul

Yeah, I completely agree. I mean honestly I would love to play the Inquisitor again, especially after the events of Tresspasser, but I just don't think they'll do it unfortunately. Like you said though, best to wait until we actually know for certain because they could end up changing their minds completely. People on various forums I visit seem way more open to having the Inquisitor as DA4's continuing protag, so who knows :D

I do think they'll play a key role in the next game, especially since there's some choices like drinking from the well that we haven't really seen consequences for yet (maybe we won't until games further down the line, either). With the Solas plotline, I just hope that if they do get relegated as a mentor or side character, that for the "showdown" or whatever with Solas that they are a major part of it and whatever choices surround it. They have a personal investment in that situation whether they were lovers, friends or an enemy of him. Having that cast aside would be horrible.

Well on the plus side,
Weekes said he wants some closure so at least it's a nice sentiment to know that the writer wants it, even if the decision is not ultimately up to him and him alone. But yeah, if they are absent 99% of the game and then they show up at the very end to confront him after the new protag does the "dirty work" so to speak, I think I would be good with that. It's really about the most I can expect anyways lol.

You on NVIDIA then? Yeah usually this game is a solid 60 but it was really bad in the Winter Palace. It got better as I progressed though

Yeah I was on NVIDIA. It improved for me as well. Every time I was in the Winter Palace it dipped and got really choppy, then improved when I left the area.

That ending though.

I kind of wish
the inquisitor didn't have to lose his arm, seems like a dumb copout to not have to use him again in other games.

Either way, excited for the next game.

Lucreto

Finished the DLC, 178 hours devoted to the game and I am sad to see it end.

I love the series and the wait for the next game will be excruciating. For me it's my current game of this generation.

Top Bottom