• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Zafir

Incidentally, I'm on route B at the moment. There's no obscure requirements for any of the main routes (C, D or E) is there? (Spoiler free please for obvious reasons :p)

Moaradin

Incidentally, I'm on route B at the moment. There's no obscure requirements for any of the main routes (C, D or E) is there? (Spoiler free please for obvious reasons :p)

Nope. It's obvious when you get to them.

The only significant ending that has some sort of requirement is Ending Y.

killatopak

Gold Member
So I'm at the beginning of the game in the desert area.
just before fighting the naked guy. Before that there were tons of spots in the desert where you can fight machines and it on designated areas. I didn't get to complete them because the game locked me on the running machine. Did I miss anything?

Astral

I beat the game last night. I wanna say that this is one of the best games I've played in a long time. It's easily my favorite game in the past year. The credits sequence was some emotional and powerful shit. This whole experience was amazing. I'm so glad I bought this now and didn't wait for a sale like I had originally planned. Now I just gotta level up, upgrade weapons, and get the other endings.

I asked a bunch of questions about the ending in the spoiler thread but I just thought of one and so I'll post it here:
why was the deletion of all of YoRHa part of the plan of the project? Is it to just wipe out the current YoRHa members and start the project anew now that they have enough combat data to build newer models? I'm assuming YoRHa isn't gonna be gone forever, or is it?

So I'm at the beginning of the game in the desert area.
just before fighting the naked guy. Before that there were tons of spots in the desert where you can fight machines and it on designated areas. I didn't get to complete them because the game locked me on the running machine. Did I miss anything?
No, it leads to the same outcome

What's the deal with the (route A)
statue in the amusement park?
It's got an enemy marker on it, but I can't do anything to it. I'm on route B.

HeelPower

I've loving route A so far! It's more just being in this wonderfully crafted world and enjoying the simple pleasures.
BareAlienatedAttwatersprairiechicken.gif

lol This game is so charming.

And the music :'(

Just got Ending A last night.
Really loving this game!

The world has so many colorful characters, incredible vistas, and the overall feeling of character movement and fighting is so responsive and rewarding. Not to mention the stellar soundtrack. The prospect of working towards the other endings seems a little daunting, but it shall be a task I enjoy undertaking.

Oh neat, I just got the last weapon I needed and all of them are Level 3 or 4. And I haven't even grinded for materials or anything.

(...tho I might have two Item Drop +3 chips on...)

What's the deal with the (route A)
statue in the amusement park?
It's got an enemy marker on it, but I can't do anything to it. I'm on route B.

If you hack a big clowny dude and use him to push the statue off the pedestal it will become hackable, then if you hack it you will get candy and ice cream forever.

Or maybe you'll get a Level 80 secret boss.

The game is anything but a waste of time. In fact, it's made me feel like the games i put on hold (Zelda and HZD) were the waste of time. You owe it to yourself to finish it. Whether you end up liking it or not, it is an important game and worth discussion .
The intro to C is short, anyway. If you can't persevere, I don't know what to say. You're not going to get any sympathy from anyone who used to play NES games and die at the final boss.

I've been persevering since the start of the game since I wasn't 100% sold on it. Something just feels boring about it and I feel so disconnected from the story and characters.

Anyway I tried to soldier on, swallow my frustration and repeated the intro with auto-chips. Worked pretty well. Last chance for this game to win me over.

I mean...your opinion won't change. You don't like it now and are waiting for a moment for it to have all these things you'll like but if you haven't found those things yet you won't find them now or later. The twists and crazy shit only work if you care or are invested in the people/things they're happening to. Otherwise it's just big action with no weight.

And that's cool, the game didn't work for you or click with you. Happens to me a lot actually. But I don't feel like trying to push through is the best answer. I've also done that and I don't feel like it was worth the time spent when I could've just played something else. Normally just leaves me bored or irritated. I'm not sure I gained anything from it.

Obviously that's just me and advice tho. If you wanna soldier through and keep playing do it! Whatever floats your enormous mechanical body.

tuxfool

Banned
I mean...your opinion won't change. You don't like it now and are waiting for a moment for it to have all these things you'll like but if you haven't found those things yet you won't find them now or later. The twists and crazy shit only work if you care or are invested in the people/things they're happening to. Otherwise it's just big action with no weight.

And that's cool, the game didn't work for you or click with you. Happens to me a lot actually. But I don't feel like trying to push through is the best answer. I've also done that and I don't feel like it was worth the time spent when I could've just played something else. Normally just leaves me bored or irritated. I'm not sure I gained anything from it.

Obviously that's just me and advice tho. If you wanna soldier through and keep playing do it! Whatever floats your enormous mechanical body.

I'll second this advice. I don't push games, if I like it then fine, but if I don't I stop.

I've been persevering since the start of the game since I wasn't 100% sold on it. Something just feels boring about it and I feel so disconnected from the story and characters.

Anyway I tried to soldier on, swallow my frustration and repeated the intro with auto-chips. Worked pretty well. Last chance for this game to win me over.
Cool, hopefully you can see it through to ending E. It all makes up an interesting experience. Overall, it may not end up being your "Cup of Tea" but you are almost done. It's worth discussing and thinking about even if you didn't love the game. The characters never quite reached the height of those in the first game but the bigger picture is more interesting. Hopefully there will be some good analysis vids on youtube to compile a lot of the stuff many have missed. It's kind of like watching ghost in the shell for the first time. It's borderline art house and there is so much crammed into its 82 min runtime that multiple viewings and analysis is almost compulsory to get the most out of it

LotusHD

Banned
Nier's one of those few games where I truly feel like one wouldn't be in the "wrong" to press someone (up to a certain point) to finish it all. As opposed to a lot of other games where yea, you don't have to push it so hard just because you like it. Unless they just loathe the gameplay itself; if that's the case, then yea, I can't do anything about that.

Route C:

Man, you can't just give me
Devola and Popola
then take them away instantly.

I was amused by that scene basically going:

Devola and Popola: We got this, concentrate on hacking! We'll tell you the secrets of the universe when we're inside!

9S: But it's too hard!

Popola: Oh for fucks sake.

*Devola grabs 9S and throws him through the door*

Devola: No answers for you!

Nier's one of those few games where I truly feel like one wouldn't be in the "wrong" to press someone (up to a certain point) to finish it all. As opposed to a lot of other games where yea, you don't have to push it so hard just because you like it. Unless they just loathe the gameplay itself; if that's the case, then yea, I can't do anything about that.
I agree. In Nier (Especially since he just started C) it's like turning back when you've already swam across 2/3rds of the lake. He is so close and the final endings will recontextualize the entire journey. Just as some films are "mandatory" viewing if you're into movies, I feel both nier games are mandatory experiences for those into games. Even if you don't love Nier in the end, you will take something positive away from it and it will most likely affect how you think about the medium going forward.

Zafir

Yeesh came across a golden tank and a small golden robot in the desert at the start of Route B. They had loaaaaaadddsssss of HP. Since I'd taken a few days break since starting the route it took me far to long to remember that
hacking is a thing, too used to playing as 2B, lol.

Yeah fighting those things
normally
is quite the test of patience.

Chase17

Died in the prolouge of route B when
9s is stuck on top of the goliath

Got a joke ending and now have to do it all over :(

The arubtness of ending W was pretty funny though

killatopak

Gold Member
At the amusement park,
I killed the first few machines and noticed I can talk to them afterwards. I felt really bad since they were wishing me to have fun ;_;

I decided to push through and fought the trailer boss fight. Damn, what fight. Simply amazing on sound, visual and contextual.

Wow. Ending run of Route C is pretty rough.

So many
2Bs
I'm only one man, ladies.

And if you don't like the characters the emotional moments of this Route just will nit matter to you.

Chase17

Oh my goodness. I explored just a little bit into Route B this go around and got another joke ending. Back to carrying oil!

Free me from this prologue Taro!

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really care about 100% but grabbing those (Route C spoilers)
YoRHA pod programs from the bodies
is one of the most necessary things in the game if you don't want your eardrums to explode when you're close to them. Most irritating thing in the game, forget backtracking.

Exentryk

So, I just carried on and finished route A. It seemed a bit rushed/odd? Still, it was nice... nothing earth shattering. There are still so many questions left unanswered, but of course, that's probably what the other routes are for. Will start on B tomorrow.

N° 2048

So, I just carried on and finished route A. It seemed a bit rushed/odd? Still, it was nice... nothing earth shattering. There are still so many questions left unanswered, but of course, that's probably what the other routes are for. Will start on B tomorrow.

Game is just about to start ;)

A few hours into route B and I have a question
Are the sidequests given by operator 60 to 2B that I skipped lost forever? I was hoping to do most of the sidequests in the final route :/

Chase17

Somehow I didn't realize you could hack when
9s is stuck on top of the goliath

Explains why I had no chance the first time lol

I'm like really tired of route B. Really killed my interest in the game quite a bit and my progress has slowed to a crawl.

Limited combat plus retreading the same scenarios barring a few changes so far, ugh.

Just finished Ending C, D and E. It's not like I didn't enjoy the game, but my biggest reaction to everything that happened at the end storywise was "...hm, okay."

I was actually really invested in the story early on, but at a certain point it just kinda lost me. Emotionally too, despite the great acting.

At least gameplaywise, or more specific, combatwise, Route C was a step up from the first two routes.

Philippo

Does the
main menu background
changes for everyone at the start of Route C or only for the ones that completed
Emil's quest
?

Astral

Oh my god this back and forth boss fight is so fucking hype

I broke the game with Overclock during that fight lol. I activated it right as it transitioned and though the slow mo didn't stay, the effect on the screen and music did. I had to remove the chips and dodge again to fix it.

Top Bottom