• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop drops 3DS price to $150 right before Vita launch. Permanent? UP: Sure ain't!

Atomski

Gah, my tax return can not come soon enough. Been looking for a 3DS deal lately.. yet now school has depleted me of all my spare cash :/

Medalion

Banned
So now that this has been proven to not be an official price drop, the "wait till redesign" will still continue naturally

Rootbeer

Banned
Nintendo is playing hardball. Great deal on the system, but I hope the Vita can find a way to succeed. As an owner of a launch 3DS and a pre-orderer of the Vita... I'd really love to continue using both for the long haul.

Sony really needs to up their game here.

I don't understand how can people whine about re-design? Nintendo is ahead of the curve, and is simply mirroring what Apple is doing - new iPad, iPhone roughly 12-18 months. Sure, it is not subsidized by mobile carriers, but it also doesn't cost 500USD/EUR without contract.

Think of 3DS as a commodity - buy it, use it, after 12-18 months trade it in when the inevitable promotion rolls out, get 50-75USD/EUR off for new design.

ShinNL

And just like with Apple products, no one actually interested in the products would go "waiting for a redesign" when there's none announced. Those spamming redesign redesign aren't interested in the first place.

For example, I'm waiting for a more portable and cheaper version of PSVita. Because the current size and shape bugs me big time, and because there's not a single game I want to play on the device right now, so it doesn't justify the high price tag. Because of that I know I'm not interested in it yet.

herod

And just like with Apple products, no one actually interested in the products would go "waiting for a redesign" when there's none announced. Those spamming redesign redesign aren't interested in the first place.

Nailed it. It's about the games, and 3DS has them. Second analogue is not and will never be mandatory. Games that need it are generally much better off played on a home system anyway.

Nailed it. It's about the games, and 3DS has them. Second analogue is not and will never be mandatory. Games that need it are generally much better off played on a home system anyway.

Meh, I'm waiting for a redesign because the current 3DS makes my left hand cramp after a half hour

System has been pretty much permanently on sale in Australia since Nov at 200, despite RRP of 250. Wouldn't be surprised if USA got same thing for 150.

If the second analogue is mandatory then Nintendo would've bundled it with their games as they did with motion plus which I think means that the redesign won't include a second analogue.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
If the second analogue is mandatory then Nintendo would've bundled it with their games as they did with motion plus which I think means that the redesign won't include a second analogue.
Unless I'm mistaken, only one Nintendo game supports it (Kid Icarus), for an optional left handed mode. And it's a game by Sakurai, who is quite fixated with filling his games with content and supporting anything imaginable.

Equating this to the Motion Plus, right now, doesn't really make a lot of sense. Sure, things can always change, but basing an argument on something changing is not really that useful (you could do that with anything).

As things stand right now, it's a peripheral supported by a bunch of third party games, exclusive to one retailer in America, with almost zero first party support. If they want to push it as standard they will, but right now the only signs pointing to that happening are mostly fueled by "I wish for that to happen".

TxdoHawk

Looking like a brutal price war this handheld gen. My wallet approves, although I worry about the long-term implications for the companies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I like that mock-up, but that reflection is IMPOSSIBLE. Please fix.
Since nobody else did here you go.
RWrsp.jpg

.hacked

I love it, grabbed me a 3ds with a circle pad pro, Resident Evil Revelations and Star Fox. $150 is a steal, think I am retiring my iPad from gaming for a while. I am still going to pick up a vita but the circle pad pro just about fixes every issues I had with the 3ds, hope more games support it.

tkscz

How is it that a temporary sale on the 3DS brings up talk about a redesign? I honestly don't think they'll redesign it to have two analog sliders. It just seems that it would alienate people who bought the original and devs would start building games around the idea, rather than making games where a second slider is optional, but that's just me.

Played the 3DS on a video game store (Mario 3D)... Loved it...
But I'm gonna wait for the redesign (improved battery) before I spend the money...

Mlatador

Banned
1:

Or

2:

On topic 150.00 is a steal at this point. Redesign or not. I can't wait to see the deals the Vita has.

Both is shit, because it would be too uncomfortable using the second slidepad as well as reaching the buttons. They would need to make the 3DS much bigger and thicker to make a second analog work on it.

I'm also pretty annoyed at the redesign screamers. Since when is a second slidepad (which is the 1# argument) that important? The option exists already!

Even if there's a redesign of the 3DS with another slidepad, it won't be as comfortable to hold as the current model with the CP Pro, since they would need to maintain a certain form-factor (designwise and for the sake of portability). It would also cost more than a current 3DS, so you would pay more and even get less comfort

Bigger screens is a much better argument, but that won't happen in the near future. Something people want the most, will probably be the ace card for Nintendo and therefore released last (same with the XL) to improve sales and as an option to fight the competition.

So it's really pretty stupid to wait for a redesign. The current model works well, the price is reasonable, great games are already out (more to follow), you have the option of making it more comfy while adding a second s-pad at the same time.

I don't understand how can people whine about re-design? Nintendo is ahead of the curve, and is simply mirroring what Apple is doing - new iPad, iPhone roughly 12-18 months. Sure, it is not subsidized by mobile carriers, but it also doesn't cost 500USD/EUR without contract.

Think of 3DS as a commodity - buy it, use it, after 12-18 months trade it in when the inevitable promotion rolls out, get 50-75USD/EUR off for new design.

People aren't whining about a redesign. They want a redesign.

As soon as its price and the lack of a 2nd nub was seen, people were already dissapointed.

bill0527

Here's where I make Nintendo-GAF happy:

I bit on the deal and walked out of GameStop with a black 3ds.

Here's where I piss off Nintendo-GAF:

I bought Super Mario Land 3d to go with it. But I bought it used. not a fingerprint, blemish, or scratch on the game case or the cart. Looks like it might have been a gutted copy. Nintendo didn't make a dime off me today and probably lost money if they are selling the 3ds at a loss with this sale.

I bought Super Mario Land 3d to go with it. But I bought it used. not a fingerprint, blemish, or scratch on the game case or the cart. Looks like it might have been a gutted copy. Nintendo didn't make a dime off me today and probably lost money if they are selling the 3ds at a loss with this sale.

I don't think people would particularly blame you for this.

In my experience though, the price difference in mainstream Nintendo games doesn't tend to differ much from new/used.

Why would that piss off Nintendo GAF? SM3DL is fuckin' awesome and easily the best game on the platform.

Bad ass. Did you also preorder a VITA while you were at it?

Just curious, how much did you have to pay for 3D Land?

Durante

Bigger screens is a much better argument, but that won't happen in the near future. Something people want the most, will probably be the ace card for Nintendo and therefore released last (same with the XL) to improve sales and as an option to fight the competition.
I really don't see how a bigger screen would work in favour of 3DS. It already has worse PPI than pretty much any other portable device out there, and a larger screen would just exacerbate that problem.

Forever

Banned
Cheeky move by Nintendo, clearly intended to affect the launch of the Vita. But I'm not sure if another $20 will make a huge difference when the disparity is already pretty big.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If its not the main Sku, like the XL version, the one who gets the second analog do you still win?

I think the exact terms were that the first announced cosmetic revision would have two analog sticks; an internal revision (say, a new wifi chip or something) would not count, but a "supplementary model" would, and I'd win or lose on the basis of that model only, not any subsequent revisions. I think. I can't even find the thread I made the bet in, I'm such a degenerate.

up just taking things out of proportion, unless I'm thinking the wrong bet. stump made an open bet,saying that the redesign would be announced/released by some point, someone took the bet (just because) saying that it won't (during that specific time). And even stump said that if he "won" but turned out that past that date, nothing was announced/released he would pay back.

Wrong bet. That was my bet with Neuromancer about Rocksteady making a Ninja Turtles game (I bet against, he bet for). The terms for that were a little complicated because they involved betting that an announcement would not happen. The 3DS bet is set to whenever Nintendo announces the first redesign.

Cheeky move by Nintendo, clearly intended to affect the launch of the Vita. But I'm not sure if another $20 will make a huge difference when the disparity is already pretty big.

Come to think of it, while Nintendo is marketing the Pink 3DS as a valentine's day product, it times in pretty well to the Vita launch.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I really don't see how a bigger screen would work in favour of 3DS. It already has worse PPI than pretty much any other portable device out there, and a larger screen would just exacerbate that problem.

Never played on a dsi XL have you?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I just recently had a chance to try out an XL and I thought it was just too big. It was such a far cry from my DSi and 3DS by comparison.

It felt nice in my hands though. But then again, I said the same thing about the 3DS when I first bought it, too.

fernoca

Wrong bet. That was my bet with Neuromancer about Rocksteady making a Ninja Turtles game (I bet against, he bet for). The terms for that were a little complicated because they involved betting that an announcement would not happen. The 3DS bet is set to whenever Nintendo announces the first redesign.
Hahaha..so many bets. Did anyone took that bet (3DS one)? And how much money?

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
If more and more people start thinking like this, they're going to be forced to lower it. Or just give up a sale.

It might be my first time paying attention, but it seems a few people on GAF are going to wait it out. Maybe hoping for a $200 price tag. Isn't Japan getting a some sort of bundle offer?

I'm looking forward to a redesign and post about the possibility more than is healthy.

Sent from my 3DS.

Dre3001

Bought a 3DS today because of this deal.

Resident Evil was what really pushed me over the top to take the plunge though.

I must say though this "deal" may be bigger then I imagined. When I went to buy my black 3DS today the Gamestop manager told me that he sold 3 other 3DS earlier in the day. In addition I managed to get the last black one in stock at my local store.

I know this means nothing as the usual retail posts on Neogaf are widely off most of the time but I thought it was interesting how it was selling in my area to say the least, especially when I have probably only seen one in public ever.

Top Bottom