• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Miiverse screenshots allowed for Smash Bros. 3DS on regular 3DS, works on New 3DS

Sify64

this is no excuse man, you can ask a company to think a few years ahead and save you the need for many hardware upgrades

unless Nintendo wants to give us a new hardware every year they should at least try to think ahead a bit.

Miiverse had to be in the works, Amiibo had to have been a thought

when they finally merge portable with home console I would hope they think a few years ahead or bring back those hidden upgrade ram ports they use to have in hardware.
I honestly doubt it.

Kriken

If the RAM used for Miiverse was used to fully optimize this game, I'm okay with that. A bit of a shame though :/

sfried

Why don't program a custom screenshot code that you can run in pause mode? I mean, just dump the framebuffer, can't be that hard and omg can't eat that much ram. Nintendo smh.
You do realize that when a game is suspended it still has most of the program in memory? It just so happens that it barely has enough to enter the home screen, and web browsing apparently takes a sizable chunk too.

big_erk

If patching in more RAM was a possible thing (lol) we could get ice climbers back.

Rendering those fur-lined parkas in both pink and blue takes up a lot of resources.
notenoughshaders_zps462f2b99.jpg

It's like Sony allowing developers to use 333mhz for the old psp at the expense of battery life. Hope more game will make use of this, hopefully most just disabling the Internet browser but not miiverse.
The both use the same memory pool so sorry but t is probably what is going to happen from now onwards. It is an easy way to New enhance your game without having to make two versions (which is perfectly fair).

I just hope less developers take the support new buttons that are functionally same as CCP but not the CCP route (Smash is guilty of this too).

Moondrop

Banned
Is anyone concerned that Smash will feel significantly better to play on the new 3DS? I'm trying to tell myself that if they control the frame rate on the old one that's all that matters, but I'm concerned. On the other hand don't think I can wait for the new 3DS.

Piers

If the RAM used for Miiverse was used to fully optimize this game, I'm okay with that. A bit of a shame though :/

My thoughts too. The alternative, I assume, could of been to disable 3D like it was done for One Piece Unlimited World.

Somnid

this is no excuse man, you can ask a company to think a few years ahead and save you the need for many hardware upgrades

unless Nintendo wants to give us a new hardware every year they should at least try to think ahead a bit.

Miiverse had to be in the works, Amiibo had to have been a thought

when they finally merge portable with home console I would hope they think a few years ahead or bring back those hidden upgrade ram ports they use to have in hardware.

Um no? New business strategy happens all the time, certain things get big and people ask for them. You can make it flexible which they have largely succeeded at but you can't know all the things you're going to dream up in the next 5 years. Also, this is 2014 and a portable, you can't just throw mystery ports all over the place.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
In this thread we find out how many GAFers don't know how fucking old and under powered the hardware is in the OG 3DS is.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
FYI you can still take screenshots in the game. You just have to manually upload them later. Seems like the fuss is that people think you can't take pictures.

Kriken

Speaking of Ice Climbers, how much shit would there be if IC was DLC for Wii U and n3DS only?

Edit: Did not think this entirely through, ignore this stupid post

Boss Doggie

OP should be updated that you CAN take pictures, but you can't send through miiverse directly - have to do it after game.

Seems like people are getting mad on the fact that you CAN'T take pictures, even though you can. So essentially outside of browsing, you aren't really losing much.

There's nothing to have a panic about folks, move on. It's not as bad as the CCP issue.

My thoughts too. The alternative, I assume, could of been to disable 3D like it was done for One Piece Unlimited World.

That's a different thing. 3D is about how many pixels you can process every frame, GPU speed, framerate etc.

RAM is how much the system can physically think about it once. Textures, models and sound effects for 4 fighters + their attacks + pokemon and assist trophies + other items + stages + whatever else.

OP should be updated that you CAN take pictures, but you can't send through miiverse directly - have to do it after game.

Seems like people are getting mad on the fact that you CAN'T take pictures, even though you can. So essentially outside of browsing, you aren't really losing much.

There's nothing to have a panic about folks, move on. It's not as bad as the CCP issue.

He is probably to busy enjoying Smash right now :p

gngf123

I'm pretty much okay with this, assuming it really is just a resources thing. I would actually be okay if other games followed suit.

CronoShot

Don't see a problem. I mean, yeah no Miiverse sucks, but I understand why, and definitely prefer a better game over Miiverse functionality. Especially since we can take sceenshots in-game anyway.

Boss Doggie

Mods should change title. It makes it sound like you can't take pictures period. You'd invite terrible shitposting.

Wait a minute. You CAN save screenshots to your SD Card?

yes, there's nothing to worry about

Garou

Smash 3DS does the same thing like Monster Hunter 4, if you quit the game from the home-screen the system will always make a full reboot. Seems to access resources usually reserved for system-processes.

Wait a minute. You CAN save screenshots to your SD Card?

Yes . The only thing you can´t do is load them up to Miiverse (if it is possible to load them up indirectly remains to be seen).

I think it is a fair trade off for everyone (70% more RAM as mentioned above for better textures and maybe more polygons etc)

Oberon

Banned
Since it's a hardware issue, than there isn't
much we can do about it.
It's certainly disappointing to hear but there's still a way to post images.
That's one more reason for me to upgrade to the N3ds.

JC Lately

No online Smash Run and now no Miiverse image uploading unless I shell out for a system upgrade. Next year.

Thanks for saving me 40 bucks, Nintendo! More money for Persona Q!

Boss Doggie

Since it's a hardware issue, than there isn't
much we can do about.
It's certainly disappointing to hear but there's still a way to post images.
That's one more reason for me to upgrade to the N3ds.

You can upload them if you quit the game, go online and browse through your SD card.

Again, the OP and subject should be updated.

You can upload them if you quit the game, go online and browse through your SD card.

Again, the OP and subject should be updated.

"No Miiverse screenshots allowed" definitely makes it sound like some kind of arbitrary decision made to push users to N3DS, rather than what appears to be a hardware limitation.

Coming off the back of the CCP issue, it's pretty clear what the general response to a title like that will be... :-/

Foffy

Banned
The game already appears to have performance dips depending on the circumstance, at least from streams.

I can easily see them lacking the internal wizardry under the hood being too little on the current 3DS builds to allow these additional features.

I'm kinda fine with this.
The game is excellent, and if they had to squeeze a little bit more juice out of the dated 3DS to do so (at the cost of Miiverse), then that's fine.

Top Bottom