• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Marvie_3

Banned
chubigans said:
I don't know why the idea of me buying food at a diner and have it actually mean something via hardcore mode sounds so great, but it does. So does making sure you're properly outfitted for the wasteland before leaving a secure location. Surely I'm not the only one.
Not at all. Hardcore mode sounds amazing. :D

sdornan

The trailers for the game have decreased my level of excitement. The art design doesn't look as good as I hoped for. The Strip seems kind of bland and doesn't have the cohesive look that I expected. Maybe it needs even more neon lights.

Salsa

duckroll said:
Playing a Fallout game where I go around shooting everyone with no consequence and just killing all the "bad guys" doesn't sound fun or Fallout to me at all.

In these games i always do what i would do if i was in that situation (at least on my first playthrough), so i mostly kill just the bad guys, or the people who messes with me.

Its still fun cause sometimes you have the option to show pitty, and let enemies go/whatever. But if they fucked up, they fucked up. Off with their heads!

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
sdornan said:
The trailers for the game have decreased my level of excitement. The art design doesn't look as good as I hoped for. The Strip seems kind of bland and doesn't have the cohesive look that I expected. Maybe it needs even more neon lights.

No snark intended, but what had you envisioned for the strip?

sdornan

Knuckleruckamus said:
No snark intended, but what had you envisioned for the strip?

Just...more... I guess. More lights, more buildings, etc. For a place that still has power in the middle of a post-apocalyptic desert, it seems pretty empty.

This is what I wanted:

1950s_FIFTIES_VEGAS_COLOR_PHOTO.jpg

EDIT: Here's a screenshot for comparison:

fallout-04.png

tokkun

Wallach said:
I rather think there's a lot of fun to be had when you have to take into consideration that you may not be able to brute force your way through every situation.

Also, to call enemies "bullet sponges" in Fallout seems silly. There are definitely tough enemies but the vast majority of enemies you face can be killed in one attack.

A lot of the DLC enemies are definitely bullet sponges. Albino Radscorpion, Feral Ghoul Reaver, Super Mutant Overlord, and Fat hillbilly all take quite a few hits to go down, even from a level 30 character.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
tokkun said:
A lot of the DLC enemies are definitely bullet sponges. Albino Radscorpion, Feral Ghoul Reaver, Super Mutant Overlord, and Fat hillbilly all take quite a few hits to go down, even from a level 30 character.

you use your charm skill and a dirty pre-war wig to convince the radscorpion you're an affluent lady of the night and avoid the battle altogether.

Wallach

tokkun said:

In general they are tough to kill, but you can kill all of those except the Albino (and even then I'm not sure, I'd have to go try it but I don't think there's such a high damage weak point) with a sneak attack critical using the right weapon. A max damage sneak attack critical with a weapon like the Terrible Shotgun does enough damage to one-shot a Behemoth which has far more HP than any of those creatures. Even without the weakness bonus a full on stealth crit against a Albino Radscorpion would leave it with less than 250 HP. Note that you have to do those sneak attacks outside of VATS to get full stealth critical damage.

Even if you're just running around getting into open combat with things like an Overlord (which isn't smart anyway because they can ream you if they have a tri-beam), something like Lincoln's Repeater will fuck their shit up in VATS pretty fast.

Only thing that worries me about hardcore is companions can die. I don't know how it is handled in normal mode (they respawn? I never really used them in Fallout 3 in all my time playing that game). I'm still going to go hardcore, but I know I will rage hard when I see the AI dumbshit themselves to death.

tokkun

Wallach said:
In general they are tough to kill, but you can kill all of those except the Albino (and even then I'm not sure, I'd have to go try it but I don't think there's such a high damage weak point) with a sneak attack critical using the right weapon. A max damage sneak attack critical with a weapon like the Terrible Shotgun does enough damage to one-shot a Behemoth which has far more HP than any of those creatures. Even without the weakness bonus a full on stealth crit against a Albino Radscorpion would leave it with less than 250 HP. Note that you have to do those sneak attacks outside of VATS to get full stealth critical damage.

Even if you're just running around getting into open combat with things like an Overlord (which isn't smart anyway because they can ream you if they have a tri-beam), something like Lincoln's Repeater will fuck their shit up in VATS pretty fast.

And how realistic is it to get a point-blank sneak attack critical with the Terrible Shotgun unless you are using the Chinese Stealth Suit or a Stealthboy?

Wallach

tokkun said:
And how realistic is it to get a point-blank sneak attack critical with the Terrible Shotgun unless you are using the Chinese Stealth Suit or a Stealthboy?

Depends on the situation. If you're running around out of stealth, not that likely?

This is sort of the whole point of Fallout giving you a lot of options and having them create a wide variety of results.

For the record on my previous playthrough I don't think I ever engaged an Overlord in open combat. It's not hard to do.

duckroll said:
My idea of fun in Fallout is that if I piss off someone in the middle of town and people around don't take kindly to my act of aggression, I end up fighting everyone for two dozen turns until I run out of ammo and stimpacks, and then I die like a legendary gunman.

Playing a Fallout game where I go around shooting everyone with no consequence and just killing all the "bad guys" doesn't sound fun or Fallout to me at all.

My comment was only about the hardcore and the balance/pacing issues the supposed features may bring up, not about the gameplay in general. And the point about 'bad guys' was this: Virtually every F3 story mission had you going to point A, killing a score of mutants/raiders/ghouls/Enclave, and then returning to point B.

I'm hoping that FNV will bring back F2's nice balance of missions that can be solved without killing everything. That and being able to target the eyes "Raider was critically hit in the eyes for 53HP, causing blindness. Unlucky for him."

Wag

5078854370_13df576815_b.jpg

Your Fallout: New Vegas PS3 Questions Answered: Hardcore Mode, Morality, Combat and More

How difficult will it be to take care of physical needs like hydration, sleep, and so on? Is it going to be overbearing?

Those features are only in Hardcore Mode, so they’re optional. If you find they’re getting to be too much of a hassle, you can always turn it off (although you won’t get the Hardcore trophy if you do).

What can you tell us about the new Hardcore Mode?

Hardcore Mode can be turned on or off at any time, although if you want the Hardcore trophy, you have to turn it on when initially prompted and leave it that way all the way to the end of the game. When it’s on, players will have to eat, sleep, and drink water every day. In addition, ammo has weight, companions can die, Stimpaks heal over time, and damaged limbs can only be healed with a Doctor’s Bag.

While you can fast travel in Hardcore Mode, you can’t if the time it would take to get you there would result in the player dying from dehydration/exhaustion/starvation.
I assume this applies for all platforms.

Dead

well not really...yet
RE: That interview:

Kinda surprised that there will be a
definite ending, and no ability to play after it ends
considering how many people bitched about that in Fallout 3

Wag

Dead said:
RE: That interview:

Kinda surprised that there will be a
definite ending, and no ability to play after it ends
considering how many people bitched about that in Fallout 3
Being that they already have tons of DLC for the game ready to go, it's not that much of a surprise. F3 was huge anyways and according to NV developers it's comparable in size.

When does Steam usually start installing pre-orders? I'm a glutton for punishment. I want it installed on my comp, just so it can taunt me more...

WW, and Hardcore makes this a day 1

Wallach

The_Reckoning said:
When does Steam usually start installing pre-orders? I'm a glutton for punishment. I want it installed on my comp, just so it can taunt me more...

WW, and Hardcore makes this a day 1

Depends on the title. I would expect it no later than Sunday.

Edit: A Bethesda community duder says this:

Bethesda community duder said:
According to some folks I spoke to today, you should be able to preload soon (if not already) -- same goes for Direct2Drive.

As for when you'll be able to unlock and play the game, I'm working on getting those details. I hope to have that info to you by Monday, if not earlier.

Wag said:
Being that they already have tons of DLC for the game ready to go, it's not that much of a surprise. F3 was huge anyways and according to NV developers it's comparable in size.
Its huge, but what kept me coming on playing F3 was that when I finished the game I could come back and finish any side quest I left behind. Whats the point in completing F:NV story line and not coming back for any side quests? I mean I dont want to restart and start over a new story. Thats the point of these games, max your level, finish it and then explore and find things you never saw. Like for example, in F3 I finished the game and one day I was just killing everything and a friend of mine sent me a message about the UFO and Alien that crashed and the guns. If F3 ended, the only way I would see that was starting over a new game. Which in my book is not right for Open World games.

Wallach

SixStringPsycho said:
Its huge, but what kept me coming on playing F3 was that when I finished the game I could come back and finish any side quest I left behind. Whats the point in completing F:NV story line and not coming back for any side quests? I mean I dont want to restart and start over a new story. Thats the point of these games, max your level, finish it and then explore and find things you never saw. Like for example, in F3 I finished the game and one day I was just killing everything and a friend of mine sent me a message about the UFO and Alien that crashed and the guns. If F3 ended, the only way I would see that was starting over a new game. Which in my book is not right for Open World games.

This is exactly how Fallout 3 works if you don't have Broken Steel installed.

You'll get a notification when you get to the point where if you progress, you "can't go back". Create a save there and go back to it after you finish the plot.

Dresden

There's nothing wrong with having an actual ending if the story calls for it. The problem with F3's was that the way it forced you to do so was idiotic.

Just start a replay if you want to explore. Or reload.

Salsa

Wallach said:
This is exactly how Fallout 3 works if you don't have Broken Steel installed.

You'll get a notification when you get to the point where if you progress, you "can't go back". Create a save there and go back to it after you finish the plot.

Im guessing its gonna be the same deal as with FO3. Release dlc wich increases level cap and continues the game after the ending.

Wallach

SalsaShark said:
Im guessing its gonna be the same deal as with FO3. Release dlc wich increases level cap and continues the game after the ending.

I wouldn't be surprised to see DLC allow you to play more after the ending if it makes sense (i.e. assuming that is actually feasible). I really doubt they will ever increase the level cap though.

Salsa

Wallach said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see DLC allow you to play more after the ending if it makes sense (i.e. assuming that is actually feasible). I really doubt they will ever increase the level cap though.

Depends on how much post-game content there is. And on the fact that if its easy to reach level 30 on one playthrough.

It would kinda suck to keep playing after you finish the game when you are already at level 30.

Wallach said:

I hope they don't. Fallout has always been about what you make your character out to be before you hit the big two-zero. It really forces you to pick skills/traits according to how your character is shaped (in regards to your SPECIAL).

Speaking of which I hope Obsidian tweaked F3's handling of SPECIAL. By the end of the game, most of it didn't seem to matter much.

Wallach

disappeared said:
I hope they don't. Fallout has always been about what you make your character out to be before you hit the big two-zero. It really forces you to pick skills/traits according to how your character is shaped (in regards to your SPECIAL).

Speaking of which I hope Obsidian nerfed F3's bullshit handling of SPECIAL. Being able to have 9s and 10s across the board was downright stupid.

Actually the level cap is 30 out of the gate. Most of the sub-system changes were balanced around that assumption.

SPECIAL looks a lot more like the old Fallout games, no worries there. You're not going to get bullshit characters that have 9+ in all scores.

Chesskid1

Banned
i never really use multiple save slots, just use the one, dunno why, i just do that.

anyways, so theres a point of no return like in FO3 where you will do whatever to get the ending [and lose the ability to explore], so you have to be careful if you think you are approaching the ending and don't quicksave in the wrong spot? thanks for clarifying.

Wallach said:
Actually the level cap is 30 out of the gate. Most of the sub-system changes were balanced around that assumption.

SPECIAL looks a lot more like the old Fallout games, no worries there. You're not going to get bullshit characters that have 9+ in all scores.

Sounds good.

Hoping to get this puppy early over the weekend. Not a sure-fire bet, but here's hoping!

Wallach

Chesskid1 said:
i never really use multiple save slots, just use the one, dunno why, i just do that.

anyways, theres a point of no return like in FO3 where you will do whatever to get the ending [and lose the ability to explore], so you have to be careful if you think you are approaching the ending? thanks for clarifying.

Yeah. They were pretty explicit in saying that you will get a very clear notification when you approach that point of no return.

Wallach said:
Yeah. They were pretty explicit in saying that you will get a very clear notification when you approach that point of no return.

As is should be. Fallout's always encouraged multiple play-throughs anyway.

Ledsen

duckroll said:
My idea of fun in Fallout is that if I piss off someone in the middle of town and people around don't take kindly to my act of aggression, I end up fighting everyone for two dozen turns until I run out of ammo and stimpacks, and then I die like a legendary gunman.

Sounds extremely Fallout to me, since that's the way I played the old games too... so I agree with that guy, ammo weight could become a major nuisance.

Wallach said:

None of this works on Very Hard :/ It's also impossible if you're crappy at stealth like both my characters. A lot of enemies are indeed bullet sponges in FO3 if your character is focused on open combat, which should be a totally viable option seeing as that's how most players play the game. I had to turn down the difficulty in both Mothership Zeta and Point Lookout because of the bullshit enemy design, and the Feral Reavers were completely insane.

SmokyDave

I'm bummed out to hear there is a definite ending. I just don't like it in this type of game. It means juggling save files and breaking cohesion.

Wallach said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see DLC allow you to play more after the ending if it makes sense (i.e. assuming that is actually feasible).
That better not happen. The cynic in me thinks that the only reason there is a ending 'cap' is so they can sell us the removal. I'd hate for that to be the case.

Salsa

SmokyDave said:
I'm bummed out to hear there is a definite ending. I just don't like it in this type of game. It means juggling save files and breaking cohesion.

I remember when i finished Mass Effect 1 and i couldnt play the DLC because i had to:

1) go back to a previous save file (wich was nonexistent)
2) start a new game and get beyond a specific part. And by then i should finish the game again if i wanted to export that Sheppard to ME2.

fuck that.

Chesskid1 said:

anyways, so theres a point of no return like in FO3 where you will do whatever to get the ending [and lose the ability to explore], so you have to be careful if you think you are approaching the ending and don't quicksave in the wrong spot? thanks for clarifying.

I'm the same, i only have one save per game ever...

Minsc

Gold Member
Chesskid1 said:

I pretty much never re-save, if the game lets me have 1,000 saves, I will try my hardest to get that many. I don't see the reason in saving over a previous save, you're just asking for trouble if the game gets corrupted, you hit some bug and need to go back and can't, or you trigger some sort of sequence you can't return too. I guess it's just a side-effect of playing older PC RPGs, you never want to lose 50 hours of play because your save got messed up.

Plus if you want to go back to an area, you don't have to replay the whole game, just find a save and you're there instantly, free to take screenshots or check whatever you'd like.

SmokyDave said:

Why do you have to juggle though? If there's no limit (I'd hope there isn't), just always pick new save, it's what it defaults to most of the time in games anyway. You won't be doing anything differently, but you'll have the option of going back in time if you don't want to start over because something got screwed up.

ArjanN

Minsc said:
I pretty much never re-save, if the game lets me have 1,000 saves, I will try my hardest to get that many. I don't see the reason in saving over a previous save, you're just asking for trouble if the game gets corrupted, you hit some bug and need to go back and can't, or you trigger some sort of sequence you can't return too. I guess it's just a side-effect of playing older PC RPGs, you never want to lose 50 hours of play because your save got messed up.

Plus if you want to go back to an area, you don't have to replay the whole game, just find a save and you're there instantly, free to take screenshots or check whatever you'd like.

This is how you save, people. Never rely just on quick-saves.

I3rand0 said:
5 GB mandatory install on PS 3... :lol

I have never understood why this is such a big deal to people! If it makes the game run better, than I am all for it! People complain about it, and then PS3 players are stuck with shit like Mafia 2.

Wallach

Ledsen said:
None of this works on Very Hard :/ It's also impossible if you're crappy at stealth like both my characters. A lot of enemies are indeed bullet sponges in FO3 if your character is focused on open combat, which should be a totally viable option seeing as that's how most players play the game. I had to turn down the difficulty in both Mothership Zeta and Point Lookout because of the bullshit enemy design, and the Feral Reavers were completely insane.

Hard and Very Hard are definitely examples of shit ways to increase difficulty in a game like this, and I don't ever recommend anyone plays on those settings. Not only is it harder to drop enemies but you get more experience per kill, making you hit the level cap even faster than you would on normal. It's really a stupid idea all around.

For the record though, even on Very Hard I think stuff like Overlords still die in one shot with that method. They only have 1,250 health and a real full damage shot from a TS is over 2,000; whatever that is (I believe it's like 2,480) would only be reduced by 1/2 for playing on Very Hard so even if they didn't die, they'd be pretty fucking close to dead. Reavers almost certainly would die as they only have 1,100 health.

Still, if you're going to play on those settings, you should really accept the fact that wasting ammo with "normal" weapons in open combat is generally a stupid way to fight the really tough enemies like Reavers or Overlords even if you're a "let God sort 'em out" type. It's hard to feel bad for people killing them that way when there are craftable weapons like Bottlecap Mines and Nuka Grenades that do anywhere from 500 to 800 damage per use depending on your perks. One Fat Man nuke does 1,600 damage and you really don't need shit in Big Guns to hit something with it.

Normal difficulty there isn't really shit that I would call a "bullet sponge".

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wow, this is a week out?

this has flown COMPLETELY under my radar. I know literally nothing about it other than the title and setting.

MMaRsu

Banned
Rez said:
wow, this is a week out?

this has flown COMPLETELY under my radar. I know literally nothing about it other than the title and setting.

Same here pretty much.. all I know about the setting is that it takes place near Vegas :p.

Wallach

Oh shit, I just noticed that they did actually get some of Mark Morgan's music for this.

The only way this game isn't going to blow my mind is if it gives me cancer when I install it.

cjtiger300 said:
I have never understood why this is such a big deal to people! If it makes the game run better, than I am all for it! People complain about it, and then PS3 players are stuck with shit like Mafia 2.

Most of the people complaining would happily perform the 7gb 360 install anyway... always makes me smile.

Top Bottom