• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

Juicy Bob

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there won't be any safety cars or full course cautions in this game, right?

There's got to be yellow flags on ovals though, surely?

fresquito

Nope, I've asked numerous times only to be met with complete silence.
Oh, but I've already replied to this question in this thread (more than once!). The base is the same, just higher tiers are locked from start this time around. The menus and everything is far more comprehensive and easy to follow.

Besides there're some changes with how invitationals and brand loyalty works (once you unlock these, you can race them anytime). Other than that, I haven't tasted myself all that much. But I'm afraid, from what I've played, the mode is missing some sweet details, like proper win race resolving (even a good splash screen would be better than what's actually there).

So, yeah, the mode seems better organised, still it's lacking a bit on the more emotional side.

Grassy

Now that the floodgates are open, is there anything anyone wants to see?

And in the meantime here are some unedited (besides scaling 4K to 1080) shots:
35751574662_4d8a5b9fc7_o.png

Turn10 take notes, that's what an R32 GT-R looks like. I might have to do a few liveries for this one.

It looks like they got rid of the shimmering which was present in PCars even at 4K. Obviously they're still optimising, but how does it run at 4K right now and what are your PC specs?

Momentary

Banned
Here's an unprocessed image using the dev mode camera.

The game is running at 4K @ 120FPS with 8 cars on the track. It runs at around 80-90FPS with rain at night.

This is with every setting cranked up to max and SMAA Ultra used as AA.

Running on a i7 6850K and Titan Xp (2017)

This one here is taken with the game's photomode.

Turn10 take notes, that's what an R32 GT-R looks like. I might have to do a few liveries for this one.

It looks like they got rid of the shimmering which was present in PCars even at 4K. Obviously they're still optimising, but how does it run at 4K right now and what are your PC specs?

Maxed out (including MSAA and FXAA I believe) at 4K I get about 45fps in a full pack of cars during the day, and around 25-35fps when headlights turn on. This is on a 980Ti/6700k machine.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The pit crews look great aside from the cars jumping into the perfect position. I hoped that with ai drivers and ai taking control they'd just drive it in perfectly each time. Minor nitpick really

Momentary

Banned
Uploading some smooth as butter, high bitrate 4K video right now.

1. I am playing on controller so screw shift on bumpers... cause I'm drunk too. Drinking some 13% 2017 W00T STOUT.
2. I think the AI settings are still being tweaked. I had it on ACE and it was too easy
3. This amazing game is still a work in progress.

Neo 007

Yep...Some of Turn 10s car models are so far out of proportion and scale,it's embarrassing.

Hawk269

Saw this great video today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfD0z17mEBc

You can see the animated pitstop at the end of the first lap and also weather and night transition.

While I appreciate them adding animated pit crews and I wish it was something that other games (FORZA) should include since FORZA's pit stops are complete shit...but the animations in PCARS2 Pit Crew are awful. They seem to have hardly any frames of animation and are rigid. I don;t expect state of the art animation with tracking and such, but it is pretty damn bad. Hope this is cleaned up a bit before launch.

Mascot

Starts out kind of ... dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YpZQNISNOU

It's just one lap around Circuit of the Americas National. I got tired of seeing low quality PCARS 2 videos claiming to be 4K@60FPS and decided to do my own.

That looks amazing, thanks!

While I appreciate them adding animated pit crews and I wish it was something that other games (FORZA) should include since FORZA's pit stops are complete shit...but the animations in PCARS2 Pit Crew are awful. They seem to have hardly any frames of animation and are rigid. I don;t expect state of the art animation with tracking and such, but it is pretty damn bad. Hope this is cleaned up a bit before launch.
And they are mocapped, apparently.

Hopefully better transitions and less robotic animations are part of the polishing process, but let's not forget what a monumental task SMS took on with these stops. I bet it's been a right pain in the ass from the very start.

Hawk269

That looks amazing, thanks!

And they are mocapped, apparently.

Hopefully better transitions and less robotic animations are part of the polishing process, but let's not forget what a monumental task SMS took on with these stops. I bet it's been a right pain in the ass from the very start.

I agree that them adding that on top of all the other things they are doing is commendable, but when it looks as rough as it does, I would almost think they should of not done it. But we are still early and things can change as it nears release, so let's hope that gets cleaned up a bit.

Putty

Looks really nice. Hopefully 4 Pro version looks and runs well. This and GT:S will be my racers of choice at the end of the year.

fresquito

Do we know which tracks are available in the snow?

Because I want to race Daytona in the snow.

In an LMP1
Every track where snow is a thing in real life (not Dubai). Every car has ice tyres.

I agree that them adding that on top of all the other things they are doing is commendable, but when it looks as rough as it does, I would almost think they should of not done it. But we are still early and things can change as it nears release, so let's hope that gets cleaned up a bit.
You can turn them off if you don't like them. I think they look off, yes, but I wouldn't dare to say such statements. I'd rather have janky animations that are true to real life classes than perfectly animated models that always do the same, despite car or class. And no, you can't have both with the tight budget SMS is running on (compared to the console juggernauts).

fresquito

I'm starting to really dig COTA. After having a blast with the Ginetta Jr in the short version, I tried the Ferrari GTE in the GP layout and was surprisingly fun. It turns out when you understand the flow of the circuit is quite enjoyable. It's very technical, though.

Does (will) this game have HDR?
From build notes, I'd say yes. I've read those, at least. Don't have any official word on it, though.

danowat

Banned
Oh, but I've already replied to this question in this thread (more than once!). The base is the same, just higher tiers are locked from start this time around. The menus and everything is far more comprehensive and easy to follow.

Besides there're some changes with how invitationals and brand loyalty works (once you unlock these, you can race them anytime). Other than that, I haven't tasted myself all that much. But I'm afraid, from what I've played, the mode is missing some sweet details, like proper win race resolving (even a good splash screen would be better than what's actually there).

So, yeah, the mode seems better organised, still it's lacking a bit on the more emotional side.

Thanks, I hadn't seen any info pertaining to the career.

Klocker

I'm starting to really dig COTA. After having a blast with the Ginetta Jr in the short version, I tried the Ferrari GTE in the GP layout and was surprisingly fun. It turns out when you understand the flow of the circuit is quite enjoyable. It's very technical, though.

From build notes, I'd say yes. I've read those, at least. Don't have any official word on it, though.

Sweet thanks, I sure hope so

cooldawn

Extensive options/setting. Amazing.

Problem is there's too much to consider when you join a lobby. I mean it's not unusual to join a lobby with seconds to go. You'll need to be a supercomputer to take in, interpret, consider and change accordingly before you're extracted in to a race.

Hope there's a live timer per-lobby so we can at least consider if it's worth it before we waste time and the that join button.

Kazdane

Regretting so much opting to not participate in the dev phase of pCars 2. I did invest in 1 and didn't in this one because last thing I had heard back then was that it'd be purely rally and off-road racing, which I'm not that much into it (although I've come to love rally racing in the meantime).

As Trump would put it: Sad. :(

fresquito

Regretting so much opting to not participate in the dev phase of pCars 2. I did invest in 1 and didn't in this one because last thing I had heard back then was that it'd be purely rally and off-road racing, which I'm not that much into it (although I've come to love rally racing in the meantime).

As Trump would put it: Sad. :(
Lol, I don't know where you got that info from, but that was never the case.

Kazdane

Lol, I don't know where you got that info from, but that was never the case.

It was at a really really early stage and it was on the WDM forums. Ian was discussing it. It happened way before pCars 1's release, but I can't remember exactly when. Anyways, not a big deal, september will be around sooner than later.

DarkestHour

Banned
Can anyone make a video or point me towards one that shows someone joining a multiplayer game? I'm hoping they improved this as in PCars it was not a great experience.

Bollocks

just saw youtube videos from VR mode, holy shit, I might have to get it on PC and a VR headset and a steering wheel to go all in.

just saw youtube videos from VR mode, holy shit, I might have to get it on PC and a VR headset and a steering wheel to go all in.

The only problem is that you'll never want to go back. So if there are any racing games (i.e. Forza) that don't support VR, then you're less likely to want to play them.

Also, if you're going all in, might want to get a racing rig. I can highly recommend the Playseat Challenge if you're like me and don't have the space to dedicate to a racing setup, but still want to sit in a racing seat.

Bollocks

The only problem is that you'll never want to go back. So if there are any racing games (i.e. Forza) that don't support VR, then you're less likely to want to play them.

too late, I already played Dirt Rally with PSVR so I know how awesome VR in racing games is even with limited specs.
Why do you think I want to drop some money on a VIVE now? :D
Was getting PCars2 for PS4 but seeing the VR videos, damn.

Darkdeus

too late, I already played Dirt Rally with PSVR so I know how awesome VR in racing games is even with limited specs.
Why do you think I want to drop some money on a VIVE now? :D
Was getting PCars2 for PS4 but seeing the VR videos, damn.

Get a rift if you're going to use if for sim racing. It's clearer than the VIVE and it makes it much easier to see in the distance and pick out break markers. It's also way cheaper than the VIVE and has better ergonomics and built in headphones.

hmm I thought the VIVE had the better tech so it would fare better :/

My understanding is that the HMDs themselves are close enough to not matter. The big differences are the tracking (Vive) and controllers (Rift for now). Neither is going to give an advantage for PC racing, but given the price cut, I'd give my recommendation for Oculus. At half the price of a Vive, really easy decision in my book.

Top Bottom