• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Anyone know why my idle temps have jumped from 33ish to 45-47c's recently?

I've dusted and cleaned my PC

I have all the parts for my new build except the processor, which isn't coming until Wednesday. I feel like a kid the night before Christmas, except Christmas isn't for 2 more days!

Here's what I'm building:
Ryzen R7 1700
Fractal design define R5
MSI B350 tomahawk
16 gb 3200 RAM gskill ripjaws
Zotac 1060 gtx 6GB
Crucial MX300 525GB SSD

Anyway, I've been lurking this thread for a while, appreciate all the ideas and suggestions here. Hopefully I can post pictures in a few days.

CrazyHal

Hi there. I'm not very knowledgeable about CPU's and i'm wondering if i should consider upgrading mine. It's a Intel core i5-4430 3.00GHz. I have been using it since i build my pc back in 2013.

Hi there. I'm not very knowledgeable about CPU's and i'm wondering if i should consider upgrading mine. It's a Intel core i5-4430 3.00GHz. I have been using it since i build my pc back in 2013.

What are the rest of your PC's specs and what's your budget? You should mention what resolution/refresh rate your monitor is and maybe what games you play too. Been having any trouble with performance lately?

CrazyHal

What are the rest of your PC's specs and what's your budget? You should mention what resolution/refresh rate your monitor is and maybe what games you play too. Been having any trouble with performance lately?

I usally play at 1080p 60fps and no i have no problems. I'm getting a gtx 1080 tommorow. Oh and i have 8gb of ram.

Mrbob

PinballRJ

Just did a fresh install of windows 10

whenever try to install Nvidia drivers my screen resolution is forced to be one of two sub 1080p resolutions

any ideas?

kennah

That feel when your computer (3770, 780) works just fine for everything you do, but you have that upgrade itch anyway. Love seeing what everyone else gets though.

Zojirushi

Do we already know if Ivy Bridge CPU coolers will fit on those new motherboards (8th gen Intel) or do I have to buy something to make it fit?

Easy Breezy

Neo Member
Would anyone that's a bit more knowledgeable about case fans be able to tell me which one out of the NZXT AER F and NZXT AER P would be better?

AER F

Fan Speed Aer F140: 500~1,500 +/- 200 RPM
Fan Airflow Aer F140: 34.48~103.43 CFM
Fan Air Pressure Aer F140: 0.15~1.42mm-H2O
Fan Noise Level Aer F140: 21~35dBA

AER P:

Fan Speed Aer P140: 500~1,800 +/- 300 RPM
Fan Airflow Aer P140: 27.27~98.17 CFM
Fan Air Pressure Aer P140: 0.21~2.71mm-H2O
Fan Noise Level Aer P140: 21~38dBA

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
In that case, are both GPU fans still spinning?

Also, you're sure your idle was 33C before?

Sounds like something in your fan behavior might have changed, 45C idle no fans spinning actually sounds ok.

Maybe you had your fans spinning even in idle before?

Does your GPU has dual BIOS?

Did you flip the switch and increase clocks/voltage or reduce the cooling profile while you were cleaning it?

Has there been an ambient temperature change? Is it warmer in your home now?

It may be the temp in my room

I've recently had it plugged via HDMI and display port into my 4k TV and my monitor and thought that was causing it, removed hdmi cable to tv but no difference

its at 39c atm

Xyphie

Would anyone that's a bit more knowledgeable about case fans be able to tell me which one out of the NZXT AER F and NZXT AER P would be better?

AER F

Fan Speed Aer F140: 500~1,500 +/- 200 RPM
Fan Airflow Aer F140: 34.48~103.43 CFM
Fan Air Pressure Aer F140: 0.15~1.42mm-H2O
Fan Noise Level Aer F140: 21~35dBA

AER P:

Fan Speed Aer P140: 500~1,800 +/- 300 RPM
Fan Airflow Aer P140: 27.27~98.17 CFM
Fan Air Pressure Aer P140: 0.21~2.71mm-H2O
Fan Noise Level Aer P140: 21~38dBA

Depends on your application. AER F looks like a airflow optimized fan so it would be preferable for intakes/outtakes. AER P is a static pressure fan meant for heatsinks and radiators.

Easy Breezy

Neo Member
Depends on your application. AER F looks like a airflow optimized fan so it would be preferable for intakes/outtakes. AER P is a static pressure fan meant for heatsinks and radiators.

Cheers. That's what I gathered, but thought it'd be best to double check. :)

Do we already know if Ivy Bridge CPU coolers will fit on those new motherboards (8th gen Intel) or do I have to buy something to make it fit?

I'm not sure if we know with 100% confidence, but, the socket is exactly the same. Given the socket is the same, I don't see any reason that fans which can fit Z270 boards wouldn't also mount just fine into Z370 boards.

ZZMitch

i'll find something a little cheaper then, i thought the PSU I picked out was fitting because of the chance we end up getting her a powerful graphics card down the line

To put it in perspective my $1500 USD build with a 1080 has a 550W power supply. I could have even got away with a 500W potentially.

Lombax

Banned
Ok I am about to pull the trigger on a new rig. I do have one question.

I installed windows 7 to my existing PC then last year upgraded it to windows 10. When I build my new PC can I just re-install win 7 and re-do the upgrade with the same license key?

I'm planning on installing linux on my current PC after the new one has been built.

Thank you, and apologies if this has been asked before.

ISee

Ok I am about to pull the trigger on a new rig. I do have one question.

I installed windows 7 to my existing PC then last year upgraded it to windows 10. When I build my new PC can I just re-install win 7 and re-do the upgrade with the same license key?

I'm planning on installing linux on my current PC after the new one has been built.

Thank you, and apologies if this has been asked before.

You can create a bootable Windows 10 USB device with the Microsoft media creation tool and install windows 10 on your new pc without any kind of problems (boot from usb). Just remember to deactivate your current Windows 10 installation in your Microsoft account settings beforehand and to log in with your current Microsoft account on your new build.

Lombax

Banned
You can create a bootable Windows 10 USB device with the Microsoft media creation tool and install windows 10 on your new pc without any kind of problems (boot from usb). Just remember to deactivate your current Windows 10 installation in your Microsoft account settings beforehand and to log in with your current Microsoft account on your new build.

Thank you.

I usally play at 1080p 60fps and no i have no problems. I'm getting a gtx 1080 tommorow. Oh and i have 8gb of ram.

If you're happy with the performance for now I would just roll with it. That said, at some point you are gonna wanna replace your CPU. I'd just play it by ear based on when you become unhappy with your current level of performance (or fall into some cash and get an upgrade itch).

Small upgrade to my Ryzen system. Went from 8Gb of RAM to 16Gb.

I posted a set of Team Group 3000mhz RAM for £120 in the thread the other day, and it's the set I bought since it was a lot cheaper than any other set that I can find.
I had 2x4Gb of Corsair LPX, took those out and put the new sticks in, set them to 2933mhz and they worked just fine. Really can't complain.

I've heard they can reach 3200mhz, but I'm not to fussed about playing around with timings to hit that. I'm pretty happy they work at their rated speed out of the box.

It may be the temp in my room

I've recently had it plugged via HDMI and display port into my 4k TV and my monitor and thought that was causing it, removed hdmi cable to tv but no difference

its at 39c atm

That's why, it's not going to be cooler than the air that's cooling it.

Ted

Hi all, any tips on what things to look for when comparing the various 1060 cards? All I've done so far is filter by price and removed any that only have a single fan.

I currently have 4 I am looking into that seem to fit my requirements:

ASUS GeForce DUAL-GTX1060--O6G 6 GB Graphics Card
- ~£260
- Dual fan

Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - DUAL-GTX1060-6G 6 GB
- ~£260
- Dual fan

Palit NE5106015J9J GTX 1060 Jetstream 16 x PCI Express 3.0 Express Card - Silver
- ~£270
- Dual fan

Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB AMP Edition GDDR5 Graphics Card - Black
- ~£260
- Dual fan

MikeBison

Update. Been a few weeks since I built my PC. Thanks too all of you that helped immensely.

I love it. Find myself not playing my PS4 much lately. Totally engrossed in Divinity Original Sin 2 and cleansing myself off with a few games of PUBG. Have Cuphead pre-ordered and just ordered an Xbone controller as a few games over the next month or so, I'd like to play with a controller. Evil within 2, Assassins creed etc. Get to play everything at 1440p and ~100fps at ultra, it's glorious.

Should have done this years ago tbh.

Loxley

I'm a mere two steps away from finally being able to build my PC, just need the CPU (going for a Ryzen 7 1700) and a Windows 10 license. I should be able to grab the Ryzen by the end of October, and the Win 10 license not long after.

I started buying parts back in May and it's taken me this long to scrap together enough cash for the build, I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel...feels good.

ISee

Hi all, any tips on what things to look for when comparing the various 1060 cards? All I've done so far is filter by price and removed any that only have a single fan.

I currently have 4 I am looking into that seem to fit my requirements:

ASUS GeForce DUAL-GTX1060--O6G 6 GB Graphics Card
- ~£260
- Dual fan

Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - DUAL-GTX1060-6G 6 GB
- ~£260
- Dual fan

Palit NE5106015J9J GTX 1060 Jetstream 16 x PCI Express 3.0 Express Card - Silver
- ~£270
- Dual fan

Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB AMP Edition GDDR5 Graphics Card - Black
- ~£260
- Dual fan

It doesn't matter that much tbh. All of them should be able to OC close to 1.9 GHz without much trouble. Read up which one of them is the most quiet while able to stay cool and get that one.

coastel

Does where the 6 pin power cable go into the gtx 1060 supposed to move a little up and down? I haven't actually turned my PC on properly as I'm waiting for my RAM. Everything on the card lights up, would this indicate it's OK?

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Just upgraded from a i5 3570k to a i7 7700k. Ideally I would have waited for the 8700k, but since I got my hands on a Asus z270h gaming mobo for free through work, I decided it was best to just get the 7700k and save some money. Besides, the cpu was on sale for 289 dollars, which is an unprecedented price for current gen i7, at least in Sweden.

Im going to benchmark some games and compare the performance to my previous build. From what i've read, Im expecting a 10-20 fps increase across the board basically, with modern games. I have a GTX 1080, so the CPU was clearly a bottleneck, and the hyper-threading makes a big difference from what I understand.

ISee

Just upgraded from a i5 3570k to a i7 7700k. Ideally I would have waited for the 8700k, but since I got my hands on a Asus z270h gaming mobo for free through work, I decided it was best to just get the 7700k and save some money. Besides, the cpu was on sale for 289 dollars, which is an unprecedented price for current gen i7, at least in Sweden.

Im going to benchmark some games and compare the performance to my previous build. From what i've read, Im expecting a 10-20 fps increase across the board basically, with modern games. I have a GTX 1080, so the CPU was clearly a bottleneck, and the hyper-threading makes a big difference from what I understand.

Good price, especially as the MB was free. But don't forget: You'll also need new ram, your old ddr3 is incompatible.
You will even get more then +30fps in certain open world games (If you aren't playing at ultra high resolutions, of course). The 7700k is a nice upgrade from the 3570k. Have fun with it.

Does where the 6 pin power cable go into the gtx 1060 supposed to move a little up and down? I haven't actually turned my PC on properly as I'm waiting for my RAM. Everything on the card lights up, would this indicate it's OK?

What's moving? The power cable in the 6pin connector or the 6pin connector?
The 6pin power connector is soldered to the PCB over relatively thick wires. It actually shouldn't move too much, but a certain margin is certainly there and nothing to worry about.
I think LEDs are powered by the PCI slot on most cards, so no LEDs lighting up is no indication for your card getting power over the 6pin plug. BUT as already said, most probably everything is fine anyway. What card are you using (just out of curiosity)?`

coastel

Good price, especially as the MB was free. But don't forget: You'll also need new ram, your old ddr3 is incompatible.
You will even get more then +30fps in certain open world games (If you aren't playing at ultra high resolutions, of course). The 7700k is a nice upgrade from the 3570k. Have fun with it.

What's moving? The power cable in the 6pin connector or the 6pin connector?
The 6pin power connector is soldered to the PCB over relatively thick wires. It actually shouldn't move too much, but a certain margin is certainly there and nothing to worry about.
I think LEDs are powered by the PCI slot on most cards, so no LEDs lighting up is no indication for your card getting power over the 6pin plug. BUT as already said, most probably everything is fine anyway. What card are you using (just out of curiosity)?`

I'm using the 6gb turbo edition. It was brought new. Also yea it's the actual bit on the card where the 6 pin goes into it and seems to have a little up and down play on it. Like my old PC I had the wire does touch the case (100R). Hoping I haven't bent it.

Edit: I'm a idiot it's just the 6 pin moving not the actual bit it inserts to on my gpu. Thanks anyway.

Ovid

Hi everyone.

I was wondering my current laptop could run Cuphead. It's a MacBook Air with these specs: https://support.apple.com/kb/sp670?locale=en_US

I have 8GB of RAM and Win10 installed via Bootcamp.

The specs for Cuphead are as follows:

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, 3.0GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+, 3.0GHz or higher.
Memory: 2 GB RAM.
Graphics: Geforce 9600 GT or AMD HD 3870 512MB or higher.
DirectX: Version 9.0.
Storage: 20 GB available space.

What do you think?

ZZMitch

not a good deal

you getting a locked cpu,only 2400 ram speed,stock cooler and a 256gb ssd.

you can do better for that price.

Yeah I noticed the low ram speed. I was just surprised at the low price since the computer parts I bought last week came to almost the same price haha. Although my ram is better and I have a Ryzen CPU instead, also 500 GB SSD (tho I did not buy an HDD at all)

Although I did just manage to get Windows 10 free through my school so that did save me 100 bucks I'd thought id have to spend (they originally told me Windows 10 was only cheap/free for faculty)

This is probably a dumb questions but where can I find those standoffs? for video cables (VGA,DVI). The monitor cable keeps poping out because I can't screw it to anything.

popo

Putting together a budget AMD build.

I know Ryzen takes advantage of RAM speed but do you really see much difference with low-mid tier parts?

e.g.

1600, b350 mb, 1060 gfx card

ddr4 3200 is £60 more than 2400. In the real world would you see any difference or is the gfx card going to bottleneck any improvements?

thx

Putting together a budget AMD build.

I know Ryzen takes advantage of RAM speed but do you really see much difference with low-mid tier parts?

e.g.

1600, b350 mb, 1060 gfx card

ddr4 3200 is £60 more than 2400. In the real world would you see any difference or is the gfx card going to bottleneck any improvements?

thx

What RAM are you looking at? I got 16Gb of 3000mhz for £128 with delivery if you're interested?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...al-channel-kit-grey-tlgd416g30-my-087-tg.html

(I swear I'm not shilling for OCers, I just think it's a really damn good deal right now),

ZZMitch

A bunch of my parts came in the mail today!

Unfortunately my GPU, PSU and SDD are not coming until Monday so I have a bunch of colorful boxes mocking me.

A bunch of my parts came in the mail today!

Unfortunately my GPU, PSU and SDD are not coming until Monday so I have a bunch of colorful boxes mocking me.

If you have all the other bits you could otherwise wire it up (depending on what case you have and how difficult it is to put the PSU in afterward--modular PSUs are great here).

Top Bottom