• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Origins: Gamescom 2017 Cinematic Trailer

Erevador

There is PLENTY of gameplay out for this game. They do cinematic trailers for every AC game.
Agreed. The AC cinematic trailers always have a lot of effort put into them. They're always artful and interesting, a nice accompaniment to the games.

Ubisoft has definitely not been stingy with gameplay footage. You can watch tons of it on Youtube.

Theorry

Agreed. The AC cinematic trailers always have a lot of effort put into them. They're always artful and interesting, a nice accompaniment to the games.

Ubisoft has definitely not been stingy with gameplay footage. You can watch tons of it on Youtube.

Its even at IGN first this month.

Harlequin

Pretty great trailer. The one thing I wasn't entirely happy with was Cleopatra being in an Egyptian getup. I mean, that's not really historically inaccurate because she almost certainly wore Egyptian clothing during certain official and religious functions but I would've liked to see her outfit look a bit more Greek (which is what it probably would've looked like most of the time) merely because there tends to be this common misconception of what she looked like and this is kind of feeding into it. Oh and what is historically inaccurate is that she looked way too pretty in the trailer. From what we know, the real Cleopatra almost certainly wasn't a looker by today's standards and I feel like this game could've really gotten away with making her a bit less attractive, seeing as she's not the protagonist of the story. Maybe the CG model isn't representative of what she'll look like in the game? We'll see, I guess.

JP

I can't get away from You Want it Darker in that video, they've absolutely killed that song.

For all the things that I've been disappointed with about what they've shown of the game so far, using that song in that context is by far the biggest misstep so far for me, it just clumsily tramples on everything it stands for.

Ubi remains exceptionally consistent with the quality of their CGI trailers for this franchise. Haven't played the most recent titles, but still look forward to see what their animators craft for every new entry.

Kaswa101

I can't get away from You Want it Darker in that video, they've absolutely killed that song.

For all the things that I've been disappointed with about what they've shown of the game so far, using that song in that context is by far the biggest misstep so far for me, it just clumsily tramples on everything it stands for.

What does this mean?

Harlequin

I do wonder who the person behind the mask was supposed to be. My first thought was that it could be one of the Ptolemies (one of Cleopatra's husband-brothers) but then in that one close-up shot you can see what looks like blue eyeshadow which makes me wonder if it might be a female. Not sure whether males wore blue eyeshadow during that period (Egyptian men did wear makeup, just not sure if they wore that kind of makeup specifically). And then there's the cobra which, I mean, historically speaking, that could just be a symbol of royalty but from the modern perspective, I could see that being meant as a symbol for Cleopatra (even though, in truth, the whole snakebite story is probably untrue) so maybe it was supposed to be Cleopatra? Who knows. (In any case, these types of assassination scenes in the AC CG trailers usually don't correspond to actual in-game assassinations.)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yayyyyyy!!
Also this transition tho:
JnFYZba.gif

Crossing Eden

I do wonder who the person behind the mask was supposed to be. My first thought was that it could be one of the Ptolemies (one of Cleopatra's husband-brothers) but then in that one close-up shot you can see what looks like blue eyeshadow which makes me wonder if it might be a female. Not sure whether males wore blue eyeshadow during that period (Egyptian men did wear makeup, just not sure if they wore that kind of makeup specifically). And then there's the cobra which, I mean, historically speaking, that could just be a symbol of royalty but from the modern perspective, I could see that being meant as a symbol for Cleopatra (even though, in truth, the whole snakebite story is probably untrue) so maybe it was supposed to be Cleopatra? Who knows. (In any case, these types of assassination scenes in the AC CG trailers usually don't correspond to actual in-game assassinations.)
I'm guessing they're the person Bayek's hunting, The Crocodile.

That music was was insanely well chosen. Great video. I thought for sure I had read somehwere it was releasing on October 17th but it's the 27th? As if the wait wasn't long enough. :(

Harlequin

I'm guessing they're the person Bayek's hunting, The Crocodile.

I'm not 100% certain but I do believe that only pharaohs were allowed to wear the type of fake beard that was attached to the mask (correct me if I'm wrong, though, if anyone knows for sure). It was considered to be a sign of divinity and pharaohs (probably) wore them to signal that they themselves were gods so I doubt anyone else would've been allowed to wear it.

Crossing Eden

I'm not 100% certain but I do believe that only pharaohs were allowed to wear the type of fake beard that was attached to the mask (correct me if I'm wrong, though, if anyone knows for sure). It was considered to be a sign of divinity and pharaohs (probably) wore them to signal that they themselves were gods so I doubt anyone else would've been allowed to wear it.
Oh that changes things. Wonder if they worship The Crocodile as some sort of god or maybe they're Isu?

Harlequin

Oh that changes things. Wonder if they worship The Crocodile as some sort of god or maybe they're Isu?

Theoretically speaking, it may have been an Osiris priest since the mask looks like a depiction of Osiris. Just not sure if priests would've been allowed to wear the beard. But like I said, these types of trailer scenes often times don't have a whole lot to do with what happens in the game so I guess it's possible that I'm reading too much into it. What is still bothering me, though, is how generically pretty Cleopatra looks in this.

Crossing Eden

Theoretically speaking, it may have been an Osiris priest since the mask looks like a depiction of Osiris. Just not sure if priests would've been allowed to wear the beard. But like I said, these types of trailer scenes often times don't have a whole lot to do with what happens in the game so I guess it's possible that I'm reading too much into it.
Yea they usually touch on the tone of the game more than anything and make some light nods to the gameplay mechanics. Like him taking the arrow from his shield and using it and the weather storm. Don't think there's ever been an AC trailer where the protagonist struggled this much either. Hell I don't even think there's a trailer where the protagonist straight up bled lol.

Top Bottom