• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

Crash331

It's tough to get them perfectly centered since you're trying to do it quickly to avoid dust. Even with the hinge method there is enough play to get it off a mm or so.

The people that nailed it are just really skilled lucky.

Here's how it looks. Works for me.

Damn, 1 sec, let me shrink that

Here ya go:
nxOI9cH.jpg

catabarez

Got a knick on my amfilm screen protector :( not sure where it came from. It's not too noticeable, so I can live with it until I need to replace it with my second one.

Zafir

I finally got my Orzly screen protector from G-Hub today. The screen protector itself is good quality.

Sadly as per usual they're a pain to get on without getting dust under it. The dust remover sticker they gave with them seemed a bit too sticky really, in the past when I've had them they've been sticky enough to get dust off, but not sticky enough that you have to put a bit of force in pulling it off. It meant dust ended up falling on the screen while I was trying to pull the damn sticker off, lol.

Ended up getting one or two specs of dust under the protector, both attempts.

It's not massively noticeable. Later down the line I might buy some more though if I'm feeling particularly adventurous.

Oooooh boy messed up my first two tries bad, had to order another 2 pack of the screen protectors.

Did the steamy bathroom thing + hinge method, 3rd attempt is PERFECT. Feels much nicer to have that huge display protected and the glass protector is hardly noticeable.

If you just place the switch carefully into the dock it's not going to scratch.

I mean it's a handheld and it's a plastic screen. Do you really want to be super gentle with it all the time? A screen protector seems to be a very wise investment.

Coffinhal

Didn't get scratches yet but a big blue mark that you can see when grey to black colors are displayed.

It happened with the Switch in case in a backpack, facing outside and without much pressure. That screen is really fragile, be careful people.

I read on Nintendo's website that these colored marks can happen with screen protectors so even if you manage to buy one (no one is available where I live) you're not 100% protected.

Got a refund but no Switch until a few weeks thanks to bad supply

e9INlC8.jpg

Lexxism

Damn. All of these problem on applying the tempered glass is making me worried. I never had any problem in the past. So hopefully I'm good.

I got the Superguardz tempered glass protector from Amazon. Went on great, feels great, much easier to wipe smudges off than the Switch screen. Looks great, with possibly an ever so slightly decrease in brightness.

Armaly

My Walmart has a starter pack in stock. It's the one that comes with a case, headphones, joycon guards, and a screen protector for $30. Is it worth it?

Oooooh boy messed up my first two tries bad, had to order another 2 pack of the screen protectors.

Did the steamy bathroom thing + hinge method, 3rd attempt is PERFECT. Feels much nicer to have that huge display protected and the glass protector is hardly noticeable.

whats the steamy bathroom thing and hinge method?

dolabla

Additionally it should be used when the console is removed, thereby preventing dust and particles from settling in the dock, and possibly scratching the screen next time you dock.

That's actually what I originally bought it for was for just the dock :)

Then when I got it, I found out it fit the dock+switch with joycons attached. I've been playing a lot of TV mode lately with the amazing pro controller, so I've been leaving it in the dock for days now.

Kudo

Did anyone successfully clean those oil marks the rubber padding left on the screen? I'm looking at videos on YouTube and everyone is saying they're not coming off.

KillerAngel

Neo Member
I did eventually get those rubber marks off. It took a bit of time. I first started with quite a bit of rubbing using the alcohol wipe included with the amFilm protectors, which didn't seem to have much effect. I then moved onto using a wet microfiber cloth (Magicfiber brand) and just rubbed each spot for a couple of minutes. The spots did eventually come off.

Vitacat

Didn't get scratches yet but a big blue mark that you can see when grey to black colors are displayed.

It happened with the Switch in case in a backpack, facing outside and without much pressure. That screen is really fragile, be careful people.

I read on Nintendo's website that these colored marks can happen with screen protectors so even if you manage to buy one (no one is available where I live) you're not 100% protected.

Got a refund but no Switch until a few weeks thanks to bad supply

Sorry to see that. What case was it in?

Maxrunner

Guys just got my neon switch and Zelda but I want to buy some bag and screen protection including the dock scratch problem. What's the best solution for these right now.

Vitacat

Guys just got my neon switch and Zelda but I want to buy some bag and screen protection including the dock scratch problem. What's the best solution for these right now.

Many people love the amfilm tempered glass protectors.

Best case is debatable, but the RDS traveler case is widely regarded as an all around great case, BUT they are very hard to find.

Also, you are in for a great time. Congrats on the new Switch.

BraXzy

God damn it.

My Orzly screen protectors finally came today (UK) and things didn't go so good.

I had the steamy bathroom. Wiped down the screen to perfection, it was spotless. Got the hinge method on the go, applied the screen protector. Perfect. Then noticed there was a weird streak on the screen. It looked oily / burnt plasticy. I 100% didn't touch the actual screen protector, and it wasn't on the top side because I tried to clean it off.

Frustrating but fixable, it comes with 2 after all. That one went on just as well, only this time I'd missed really small bits of adhesive dotted about the screen so there's loads of ugly air bubbles...

Going to see if I can get a replacement sent :(

Anfony O

Hey guys, was wondering for those with the am tampered glass, did you use to the wet cloth which came with the package? I'm just worried it might damage my screen (yeah I know I'm paranoid)

UPDATE: Alright read the OP more thoroughly and I extrapolated it's good to use. Wow, the application could not have gone better. The glass is perfect, thanks GAF!

MouldyK

So does the glass overheat the switch? nervous to put it on now.

I just fear the glass overheating and making marks on the screen.

Ordered both amFilm and Orzly ones for me and my friend.

The amFilm ones should come at the end of the week, so they will be the first choice with the Orzly ones as a back-up.

Xiofire

Those who got Orzly protectors, how long did it take to get to you from shipment? Curious how long my case is going to take. :\

Ordered mine on the 4th was was still waiting by the 15th, even though they said I'd have them by the 13th.

Sent a message to G-Hub on Amazon saying mine still hadn't arrived and they 24 hour'd me a replacement. Came straight away.

Worth contacting them if you're still waiting.

theaface

This travel case arrived in the post today...

NNS44_LinkGrey_ID.jpg

Extremely happy with it. Seems to be well built and durable, and offers lots of protection for the Switch on the move.

Coupled with the amFilm, think I'm all set.

Vitacat

This travel case arrived in the post today...

NNS44_LinkGrey_ID.jpg

Extremely happy with it. Seems to be well built and durable, and offers lots of protection for the Switch on the move.

Coupled with the amFilm, think I'm all set.

Yeah, great case. I have the regular Switch logo version. I kinda like that gray Zelda one, but didn't have a choice at the time. Same excellent RDS case though.

Enjoy.

Kudo

Have to congratulate Nintendo on the screen really, I don't have to clean dust from our household anymore cause Switch screen does it for us, even in sleep mode it seems to suck all the dust to it.

Kouriozan

Totally failed my amfilms application, I can't definitely do this, actually I would pay 50€ for the constructor to do this, in the end it would be cheaper for me.
Oh and it wasn't totally perfect (like 5 mm gap), I got a bad batch?

Bought another one and pray it will work next time.

Xdrive05

Do the amfilms come off easily after they've been "adhered"?

I'm a little worried about removing it later on with the potential of the glass cracking and then those glass shards cutting into the plastic screen.

Do the amfilms come off easily after they've been "adhered"?

I'm a little worried about removing it later on with the potential of the glass cracking and then those glass shards cutting into the plastic screen.

They come off pretty easily once you get a corner up or break the seal in some way. Had to remove the first one I did. Just take it slow and steady.

I'm not particularly happy with how much the amFilm protector seems to love my fingerprints, but I'd rather those than any cuts in the screen. Plus they came with a nice microfiber cloth to clean it.

sleepnaught

Will Nintendo allow you to send your dock+switch in for a replacement for multiple scratches caused by the dock? There's about 4 scratches on the left side of my screen that's very noticeable during game play. I wish I had waited or just not bought the Switch at this rate. Just feels so rushed. I don't believe for one second Nintendo didn't know of this before launch

If you just place the switch carefully into the dock it's not going to scratch.
I've been super careful with mine, making sure to place it in and out very carefully, still ended up with 4 scratches. It's just inevitable it seems to me.

ryushe

I got my amFilm protector today and I waiting until I actually put it on myself before I said anything, but man, how did so many people mess this up? This was by FAR the easiest screen protector I've ever put on.

Anyway, this thing looks great on my Switch. Much better than my previous one.

Kudo

I got my amFilm protector today and I waiting until I actually put it on myself before I said anything, but man, how did so many people mess this up? This was by FAR the easiest screen protector I've ever put on.

Anyway, this thing looks great on my Switch. Much better than my previous one.

Did you use hinge + steamy room method?
I'm not having good time thinking about applying mine on Monday, the screen sucks dust and there's not a second it's dust free in my room.

krumble

It was shipped on March 3rd. I'm still waiting. (From UK to Canada)

You might want to get in contact with the seller
Most of us in the UK who had it ordered in the first batch had to get them to resend as the post office "lost" the whole batch of original orders!
People have just got their replacements the past few days, I'm hoping mine will arrive Monday

Veitsev

I'm not having good time thinking about applying mine on Monday, the screen sucks dust and there's not a second it's dust free in my room.

Make sure to clean with the wet/dry/cloth wipe within the steamed room as well. Made a big difference for me after I fucked up the first application.

ryushe

Yes to the hinge method. No to the steam room.

I've always used the hinge method personally, well for tempered glass. It's why they give you those stickers.

FireRises

I just installed my amFilm protector and it went smooth (well, I had to toss the first one b/c of massive dust particles) but the second one is perfect, no issues.

How long should I let this cure before playing any games?

Lexxism

You might want to get in contact with the seller
Most of us in the UK who had it ordered in the first batch had to get them to resend as the post office "lost" the whole batch of original orders!
People have just got their replacements the past few days, I'm hoping mine will arrive Monday
Oh, yeah? Hmmm. Amazon estimated delivery is March 23rd to April 12th. I wonder if the seller will just say to wait for it?

Thoraxes

Oh, yeah? Hmmm. Amazon estimated delivery is March 23rd to April 12th. I wonder if the seller will just say to wait for it?

I figured i'm just going to wait till that date has passed and if it doesn't show up by then, i'll just ask for a refund or that they send another one with faster shipping. I'm fine with waiting, but if it doesn't show up at all, that's an issue. I also got the Orzly case too, which isn't gonna get here till next month, but it looked like the best case for my needs. Wish I could've paid for faster shipping though.

Lexxism

I figured i'm just going to wait till that date has passed and if it doesn't show up by then, i'll just ask for a refund or that they send another one with faster shipping. I'm fine with waiting, but if it doesn't show up at all, that's an issue. I also got the Orzly case too, which isn't gonna get here till next month, but it looked like the best case for my needs. Wish I could've paid for faster shipping though.
Yeah, that's what I'm planning. I'll probably wait till next week. If it is still doesn't show up, I'll probably just get the Hori screen protector.
So the amfilm is the one to go?
If it is available to you, yes.

tebunker

Banned
So I just noticed today, since I rarely play out of the dock, that the right screen of my side sits higher than my left, liked the bezel is just over the edge of the side enough that you can rub it and feel it.

Anyone else's system like this? Everything is working fine, but I know it is going to bug the hell out of me that it isn't perfectly flush.

Top Bottom