• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 BETA firmware 5.00 out today

Glad they brought back the black colour for notifications. I hope they bring more colors in the full update.

Btw can we expect more important features in the full update? Wasn't Boost Mode kept secret even for the 4.50 Beta until the full update came in?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Changing color on the notifications is cool, but beyond that, nothing in this one for me at all. Overall, not at all worthy of a 5.0 if you ask me. This is more of a .5 update.

23qwerty

Glad they brought back the black colour for notifications. I hope they bring more colors in the full update.

Btw can we expect more important features in the full update? Wasn't Boost Mode kept secret even for the 4.50 Beta until the full update came in?
boost mode was in the 4.5 beta

Aesthet1c

I was actually pretty pumped for this update because I was hoping the master/sub account was going to be improved. I like the idea of the family stuff, but I have 4 kids and we have 2 PS4's. It's kind of a pain that the kids can only play on 1 PS4 unless they are using my account. I guess there is no real way to allow that without opening the system up to abuse, but man it would be nice if everyone in my family could play all of my games on their account on either PS4.

I'm all digital btw, I guess this wouldn't be an issue for people with discs.

boost mode was in the 4.5 beta

Really? I thought it was in the full update. It's a bummer then. I don't think this update will satisfy those who were expecting a lot from it.
Where is the default support for PS Now for evey country and the choice of two PS Now games per month?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
4.5 + .5 = ?

No shit sherlock. It was a general statement...meaning i don't think what were getting is representative of what we'd normally see in a full numbered update...this is more of a half update, imo. That was my point. All of what we're getting plus a UI refresh? Then maybe....

No idea. But I can say as a fact that any sort of scaling/transform is going to have a measurable cost if its not implemented in hardware. And if it was implemented in hardware and thus completely transparent, why isn't it used universally?
I mean measurable in the output. As in Digital foundry making a comparison video and showing a frame rate difference beyond the margin of error.

Last of us had supersampling and they removed it. I don't think anybody ever gave us a reason why it had to be removed.

Belker

Is there any way to move notifications? When I stream on Twitch and have to check if there any comments, the notification (I think saying I've paused streaming) appears top left and stops me seeing the Twitch options.

If Twitch didn't take up so much space with its own comments bar, or the if the iOS app worked properly, this wouldn't be an issue.

*Splinter

Really? I thought it was in the full update. It's a bummer then. I don't think this update will satisfy those who were expecting a lot from it.
Where is the default support for PS Now for evey country and the choice of two PS Now games per month?
Where was that promised? Or even mentioned?

Why would this even be part of a firmware update?

Wait... these are actually some good changes

Friend organizer is great. Lots of convenient updates too.

Still, would be nice if they were faster with these software pushes because I don't want to wait even longer for the next one

Kinyou

Very unlikely. They've already made the choice to allow devs to implement on an ad-hoc basis, so adding a system level override/alternative would just cause confusion.

Not to mention that downsampling while not a particularly heavy gpu process, is going to have a performance cost. Its not "free".
I've yet see to someone show a performance difference because of downsampling.

Sorry that isn't how it works buddy. Your console will still render internally at the at a base resolution set by devs on Og. There ain't any downsampling happening.
Uh, isn't that literally what downsampling is?

High resolution output -> lower resolution screen = downsampling

kaiyo

It wasn't disclosed though, people found out about it when they were digging around when the beta hit.

No shit sherlock. It was a general statement...meaning i don't think what were getting is representative of what we'd normally see in a full numbered update...this is more of a half update, imo. That was my point. All of what we're getting plus a UI refresh? Then maybe....
You're just injecting your own idea what a .5 and .0 update is suppose to be.

yurinka

I like having groups for friends. So now I'll be able to put in one place people from work, in other friends, in other gaffers, etc.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I have two spare EU codes for people who aren't in the beta. Anyone want them? First come, first served.

EDCD 2CN8 FRH4

6BB9 MRNK D6F5

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
It wasn't disclosed though, people found out about it when they were digging around when the beta hit.

You're just injecting your own idea what a .5 and .0 update is suppose to be.

True...but isn't that the point of a discussion on a videogame forum?

Rayderism

I'm just happy to be able to return to the classier black notifications from those generic looking white ones.

Otherwise, this update seems very boring and uninteresting. The social features were never of any interest to me. I'm mostly a pretty anti-social person......except on forums.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Changing color on the notifications is cool, but beyond that, nothing in this one for me at all. Overall, not at all worthy of a 5.0 if you ask me. This is more of a .5 update.
Sony just uses .0 for the September updates and .5 for the March updates. It doesn't really mean anything.

Top Bottom